CAR SEAT discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've always removed them. But I am in the minority, I'm sure. I hate extra pillows, inserts, and strap covers, too.

la_cavalière;10716059 said:
The car seat shows a hood on the top, which would hide a child's head. Can you remove this hood?

Yes, the hood (sunshade) is velcroed on and can be removed.

BTW, someone mentioned in the General thread that it would be impossible to secure the straps at the lowest setting. I didn't want to keep talking about the car seat over there, since we have this new thread, so I'll mention it here. That's not necessarily true. My son is 21 months and we have this same car seat (that he has outgrown). I moved the straps to the lowest setting and was able to get him in the seat and secure the straps at the lowest setting. I basically had no slack left in the harness and it was obvious that they were too low, but I was able to strap him in that way and my son is bigger than average. (He's more torso than leg)

I guess I am confused about the straps being at the lowest setting for a "small child". The lowest setting would be for a newborn! Why?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=133243

This link shows pictures of a 15 month old in the seat. He still fits, and he is still clearly visible.

My son was 30.75 at 14 months and his infant seat height limit was 29" he was right at the top and we bought him a convertible at 15 months. He is now 21 months and 32.75 inches and 25lbs. He would be sticking out of his infant seat so crazy now! Cooper had to be pretty darn visible in a seat that was much too small for him!

Yes, the hood (sunshade) is velcroed on and can be removed.

BTW, someone mentioned in the General thread that it would be impossible to secure the straps at the lowest setting. I didn't want to keep talking about the car seat over there, since we have this new thread, so I'll mention it here. That's not necessarily true. My son is 21 months and we have this same car seat (that he has outgrown). I moved the straps to the lowest setting and was able to get him in the seat and secure the straps at the lowest setting. I basically had no slack left in the harness and it was obvious that they were too low, but I was able to strap him in that way and my son is bigger than average. (He's more torso than leg)

How far does your son's head come above the shell?

dang it, NOW I see we have a carseat thread. :banghead:

Wish there was for members to move their own posts. Oh well, henceforth I will keep the carseat discussion here.

Has anyone read this article?

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/local-go...s-health-car-seat-focus-of-new-warrant/ngZty/

"During a probable cause hearing Thursday, Cobb County Police Det. Phil Stoddard testified Cooper was “several inches” too big for the rear-facing child seat in which he perished"

"According to Stoddard, the boy’s parents had purchased a new, forward-facing child seat six weeks ago but, just a few weeks before his death, they switched back to his old seat for reasons not made clear."

"Harris knew the specific make and model of the seat and what the weight limit was for the child to be seated in it,” the warrants state. “When the seat was inspected the straps for the seat were set on the lowest level for a small child.”

This car seat is going to turn out to be very important during this trial! I believe several inches usually alludes to three or more?

Okay - I pulled a bunch of posts over, but I'm stopping now :)

Salem

They can claim fluffy hair all they want, but that child has outgrown that seat and it's no longer safe for him! He is above the shell! The 30" limit is not just a suggestion it's an issue of safety!

yes, I agree they are pushing the inch in those photos, however as far as the 30" thing goes, here is a link to a board where two certified techs say to ignore the 30" thing and go by the one inch rule.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=129609

The last post even details that it is against the manufacturer's rules, but widely accepted as safe.

re: the strap debate. If you look at the manual I linked upthread, it appears to me that lengthening the straps is a simple matter of pressing a button and gently but firmly pulling, and to tighten it is the same. Am I reading it correctly?

Because it looks to me like a lazy parent, who intends to kill his child, could swap the child into the carseat he has outgrown, leave the straps pulled through the lowest tier (infant setting) and yet lengthen the straps enough with a simple press and pull action to put their older child into the seat and STRAP them into it.

A whole herd of :moo: :cow:

re: the strap debate. If you look at the manual I linked upthread, it appears to me that lengthening the straps is a simple matter of pressing a button and gently but firmly pulling, and to tighten it is the same. Am I reading it correctly?

Because it looks to me like a lazy parent, who intends to kill his child, could swap the child into the carseat he has outgrown, leave the straps pulled through the lowest tier (infant setting) and yet lengthen the straps enough with a simple press and pull action to put their older child into the seat and STRAP them into it.

A whole herd of :moo: :cow:

Yep. Unless it's a seat with a moving set of slots on a headrest, it doesn't matter where the straps come out. They can come out quite loose from the bottom slots.

The only thing that I'm debating in my head is if the infant seat was there just because they were too lazy to switch it back (and deemed it good enough for now.) or if they were waiting for the perfect chance for two whole weeks. :shudder:

I didn't measure, but looks to be a good bit. Here's a photo from the back:

View attachment 54342

Wow, yeah that's a lot! If the police officer realized Cooper would have stuck up that much no wonder their alarms went off! That is child neglect to have a child in a seat that ill fitting! It would have made them question everything! They had to have asked RH if he knew how to use the seat and what the specs were because the detective stated RH did know the limits of the car seat. I think my son would be a little lower than your son, but still a good 2 inches above the shell at least! Our boys are both 21 months right? Cooper was 22 months.

yes, I agree they are pushing the inch in those photos, however as far as the 30" thing goes, here is a link to a board where two certified techs say to ignore the 30" thing and go by the one inch rule.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=129609

The last post even details that it is against the manufacturer's rules, but widely accepted as safe.

Well, that child is surely above the one inch rule! I think its a bad idea to go against manufacturer's guidelines because I would fear in a serious accident where your child was injured you could be accused of contributing to the injury with an ill fitting car seat. Also, if your child required expensive extended medical care and the car seat had malfunctioned you'd be out of luck in a lawsuit against the manufacturer. They would point out the child was not in a properly fitting seat and you as the parent had directly ignored their safety requirements. I'm paranoid like that though! There are actually car seat manuals that state as long as there is "1 from the top of the shell you're okay, but I looked over the manual for the Chicco and didn't see that.

Well, that child is surely above the one inch rule! I think its a bad idea to go against manufacturer's guidelines because I would fear in a serious accident where your child was injured you could be accused of contributing to the injury with an ill fitting car seat. Also, if your child required expensive extended medical care and the car seat had malfunctioned you'd be out of luck in a lawsuit against the manufacturer. They would point out the child was not in a properly fitting seat and you as the parent had directly ignored their safety requirements. I'm paranoid like that though! There are actually car seat manuals that state as long as there is "1 from the top of the shell you're okay, but I looked over the manual for the Chicco and didn't see that.

It would be beyond my level of comfort, too.

There are times when I willfully defy the manuals, but those are when the other option is worse. I have our young friend sit in an incognito in our front seat. The booster says never to place in front of an airbag. The child lawfully does not need a booster. She also routinely rides in the front seat of her mother's vehicle. ( she is only in the front when we have no space in the back.) The way I figure, she has to be safer in the incognito than not. The belt fits her better and she sits a touch higher up.

I'm also wondering what his ff seat was. IMO, he was awful tiny to sit ff, and some convertibles, like the cosco ones, have height minimums....

It would be beyond my level of comfort, too.

There are times when I willfully defy the manuals, but those are when the other option is worse. I have our young friend sit in an incognito in our front seat. The booster says never to place in front of an airbag. The child lawfully does not need a booster. She also routinely rides in the front seat of her mother's vehicle. ( she is only in the front when we have no space in the back.) The way I figure, she has to be safer in the incognito than not. The belt fits her better and she sits a touch higher up.

I'm also wondering what his ff seat was. IMO, he was awful tiny to sit ff, and some convertibles, like the cosco ones, have height minimums....

Can you turn of the airbag? I would be so freaked out to have somebody else's child in my front seat! Our babysitter has a two sitter car with no back seat. I usually give her my car if she has to take him somewhere, but twice she had to use her own car so I had to strap him rear facing in her front passenger seat. However, she has some sort of key she can use to disable the airbag and I made her do it in front of me! I'm so overprotected, lol! I was a mess until she let know they had arrived safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli