Casey defense team wants tough questions asked of prosecutors??

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for space>

I can see the SA closing with the video of Caylee singing "Please Don't Take My Sunshine Away" to her grandpa and then saying "and ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that's precisely what Casey Anthony did - she took Caylee's sunshine away, forever."

Excellent closing statement...

BBM
I think it might be the A's vacuum cleaners.

ITA!! The A's have dogs and I suspect there were dog hairs in the garbage left with Caylee and lots of them. I also suspect there were dog hairs and an A hair or two attached to the side of the duct tape as well. LE has let us know about what they ruled out, but nothing about what they've confirmed really. Fingerprints no. Skin cells and hairs, who knows. There's also a picture of a pink towel recovered at the burial site identical to one in a picture of Caylee at the beach sitting on it. I know where to find it if you haven't seen it.
They have tons of unseen evidence IMO. Enough to proceed with a DP case I have no doubt. Even KC knows it. A woman with nothing to do all day but sleep walks into court with deep dark circles under her eyes, like she hasn't slept in weeks is a woman beginning to crack IMO. :woohoo:

IMO the media has been following the witness statements and evidence which all lead to KC. Their attorney team represents KC therefore they receive the tough questions. If the witnesses and evidence was leaning towards KC's innocence, then the tough questions would be going to the SA's office.

ITA!! The A's have dogs and I suspect there were dog hairs in the garbage left with Caylee and lots of them. I also suspect there were dog hairs and an A hair or two attached to the side of the duct tape as well. LE has let us know about what they ruled out, but nothing about what they've confirmed really. Fingerprints no. Skin cells and hairs, who knows. There's also a picture of a pink towel recovered at the burial site identical to one in a picture of Caylee at the beach sitting on it. I know where to find it if you haven't seen it.
They have tons of unseen evidence IMO. Enough to proceed with a DP case I have no doubt. Even KC knows it. A woman with nothing to do all day but sleep walks into court with deep dark circles under her eyes, like she hasn't slept in weeks is a woman beginning to crack IMO. :woohoo:

One can hope!................:)

My hope is that KC will think this is the smartest woman in the world and she will save her. If AL can hang in there for a month or so then KC will see that she is a better lawyer and throw him away.

OMG I can just see that - KC has a new "white knight" figure to model herself after. It will be just like that interview with CPS when she got bonded out where KC was yapping about how it was so fulfilling and meaningful to dedicate oneself to "missing kids". She will envision herself being some kind of human rights champion against death row.

KC is as opportunistic as they come. I'm sure she seeks strong role models and sucks them dry then moves on and shows her disdain for them once she has no use for them and can imitate their assets on her own. I'm sure that's ultimately what happened with her parents, and whatever we think of her relationship with JB, if she is a sociopath she is much too instrumental to find him useful for too long. The more options this girl has the faster she will throw the less advantageous ones under the bus.

Personally, I think the cracks in the KC/JB thing started about the time of her little tiff about the memorial service and her insistence on JB reading that statement, followed by all her little handwritten addenda to motions. If ALy (versus the other AL) is assertive and her suggestions make sense to KC (it may take her a little bit longer to think she is smarter than ALy), she may do what she's told initially, including start to acknowledge her parents and stop playing with her hair, smiling and sticking her nose in the air, especially if she realizes it's in her best interest.

I have a feeling KC may figure out that this is the new "movie director" and she has a more challenging part for KC to play for her upcoming "audience" at trial. But Lyons still has her work cut out for her. If she can't get KC to appear at least a bit sympathetic she is going to have to be awfully theoretical and universal in her DP arguments. But perhaps if it involves an act in which KC gets to play the "victim" to her family's dysfunction in order to gain sympathy, I'll bet she's all over it like white on rice.

After court today the Attorney team for Casey held a news conference including introducing the new attorney on the team.

JB requested the media start asking the other side (SA) tough questions.

One suggestion they made was why has the DP been placed back on this case when they say it is not a DP case.

What type of questions do you think should be asked of the SA as it is up to the State to prove Casey's guilt in this case.

reference:

http://www.wftv.com/video/19591538/index.html

"They" (the defence team I assume?) have already asked that question, the media complied, and the SA answered it. "They" really should pay attention.

The SA announced it was reintroducing the DP. after the discovery of the remains provided evidence which was previously unknown.
This could be the duct tape, it could be some pre-meditation factors, it could be a link between your client and the victim.
I'm sure that if you READ the discovery pages, you'll get a hint or two. Alternatively, you could read the threads about the DP right here, all the legwork has been done for you.
You just need to spend a little time reading sir.

Maybe Ms. Lyons will be the one to answer KC's voiced concern on My Space to the world. That would be her statement of concern about the death penalty, "Why do peopl, kill people, who kill people.?" Little did KC know when she left that post on my space that she would be represented by one of the most leading lawyers in this field. The irony of this is eerily uncanny. Almost seems like something out of the twilight zone. I wonder if Ms. Lyons has answerd that pondering question by KC. I know how I would explain it! <3

A question for the Legal Eagles..........Can you "Motion" away the SA determination that they will ask for the Death Penalty? Didn't articulate that very well but I hope my q can be understood. Seems to me the State decides what degree they will try and let the Jury decide if it warrants death or not. Maybe my question can be asked as - can the Judge tell the SA to remove DP based on a defense motion?
The SA has prosecutorial discretion to draft the charges. The Grand Jury determines whether or not to indict on those charges. Only if there is a clear abuse of discretion -- not based on anything in the evidence but only based on improper motives -- can a motion to curb prosecutorial discretion succeed. The SA is okay and doesn't have to talk to the media or the defense about this one. If there is a motion, they will respond showing a modicum of evidence and they will prevail, but even that won't limit them at trial on presenting evidence to support the death penalty. My take on this is the new defense lawyer is just trying to flush them out to determine how strongly the SA feels about the DP to see if and how much room there is to deal.

JMO of course but I believe the DP has been placed back on the table is due to what Dr. G discovered or observed on the bones, postmortem. I believe Dr. G's statement when she was giving it during the press conference after the announcement that the remains found were in fact those of Caylee's, was a direct indication that something unatural had occured to Caylee's bones as Dr. G would not discuss the findings of anything postmortem. Dr. G did discuss antemortem findings. JMHO.

I'm not sure I understand what type of image she's trying to project. Her web site is not very well produced and is basically self-marketing, like any other attorney's website or billboard. The videos on her website of classes she teaches make me cringe. She reminds me of the woman who defended the lovely couple whose Presa Canario (sp) dogs ripped apart a neighbor. All eccentricities and no substance. MOO.

I think JB may have to do a little learning himself right about here in this case. I doubt this new lawyer is going to put up with a whole lot of JB ego, and it is getting too close to the wire for him to just allow her to quit the case, he needs her, badly.

I think KC may also be in for a reality check as well. I don't think there will be much more 'Zanny the Nanny' nonsense spouted. I doubt this woman is going to play along with that like JB has done.

I can imagine her saying to KC "Look, I am as good a lawyer as your going to get, and there aren't that many dp type lawyers left out there that are going to try to help you... either you get a reasonable story together, something I can take before a jury, or I move on and you can go with a public defender.. your choice. Probably your last chance at saving your own life, and possibly getting out of prison sometime before your 90th birthday. You figure it out and let me know your decision."

I just cannot see this lady making an ash of herself trying to carry off the Nanny story..

That is what needs to happen but it won't. Casey is "prepared to take this as far as she needs to go" in order to prove she is innocent. Casey is going for all or nothing. She isn't concerned about saving her life because she wants complete vindication. Casey will not take responsibility for this crime in any form.

Lyons has a long and well established history of fighting the DP, and being very against it. Which you really cannot criticize. SHe does not believe in the DP and has chosen a career path that puts this to productive use defending the accused in capital cases. Quite admirable. I assume that she took the case because it is the most public DP forum in the nation right now. Which as motives go is probably the least swarmy out of the entire defense cast of characters (ok ok it also promotes her book tha comes out soon, but at least her interests do not seem to be completely counter to he clients.)

So understand she does not need to review the evidence or case materials to personally know that it is not an appropriate DP case, simply because there is NEVER an appropriate DP case in how she looks at things. That is the basis of her lawyering.

Personally I think she is in for an incredibly rude surprise in this case though. Her normal and highly succesful approach to getting juries to choose against the DP is to appeal to their heartstrings, to try and make the defendent as human as possible, as sympathetic as possible, etc. To make them a person that the jury would not choose to sentance to death. But in this case there is no way she can overcome the victim. As soon as she starts bawling in front of the jury box all the SA has to do is pop in a video of Caylee singing or playing, and any sympathy she had is gone. Her normal approach simply cannot work in this case.[/QUOTE]

Bold mine.

I wonder what she will do to change it up. Because I agree that making Casey into a sympathetic human won't work.

The ONLY possible way that might work is if both of the A's get up on the stand and perform a 100% mea culpa and empty their closets of all the Anthony skeletons. They would have to cop to having serious mental illnesses of their own and to creating a monster in Casey. They would have to admit that they knew Casey had problems (just like they told numerous people) and that they did nothing to help her. They would have to admit that they knew she wasn't working, knew she stole and lied and yet did nothing but allow her to pretend - to create an elaborate fantasy life that they knowingly pretended to believe. Etc etc etc. And that's never going to happen. But I think it's really the only way that anyone would have enough sympathy for Casey to toss the DP. Because the same jury that convicts her will decide her fate. And by that point I imagine the jury will be so sickened that they will easily vote for the DP.

Exactly. That defense is probably the only legitimate one that would get the DP off the table pretty easily. But KC and the A's and JB will never allow it. That was the point of contention with the first DP attorney.

BBM
Curious as to Why Baez made this statement..trying to turn the "hounds" on the lawyers for the SAO in hopes of catching them say something he can use...JMO.
It has been stated by the SA office that they will not speak to the media about this case. And I have not seen any of the SA lawyers working on this case give an interview or go on a media tour after any of the hearings.
I have heard the SA only speak of the findings of the Grand Jury, that they were seeking the DP, then the DP removed, then DP put back on the table due to aggravating factors..other than that I haven't seen them on the media train.
I totally agree. Documents have been released under the Sunshine Law and that is perfectly legal. I have yet to see anyone from sthe prosecutor's office go on The Today Show or Geraldo At Large or on any news show. However, Mr. Baez doesn't hesitate to put himself out there claiming his client is innocent. The man doth protest too much imo. He has turned himself into a laughable character. jmo

What I am wondering about was the cooment that yesterday was a very bad day for the A's. I don't think AL's confidence about getting the DP off the table would cause them to get so upset, unless she finally convinced them KC is not going to walk free eventually.

Anyone have an idea?

I got the feeling when KC never once looked at her parents in the courtroom yesterday that she is blaming her parents for the situation she is in and is doing her best to make them suffer by not acknowledging their presence whatsoever.....after all, they spilled their guts to LE when they first realized Caylee was missing and now KC is facing the DP....ALL because of them (in her mind)!

I think KC is quite the b*tch to her parents....as she's always been to them!!

"They" (the defence team I assume?) have already asked that question, the media complied, and the SA answered it. "They" really should pay attention.

The SA announced it was reintroducing the DP. after the discovery of the remains provided evidence which was previously unknown.
This could be the duct tape, it could be some pre-meditation factors, it could be a link between your client and the victim.
I'm sure that if you READ the discovery pages, you'll get a hint or two. Alternatively, you could read the threads about the DP right here, all the legwork has been done for you.
You just need to spend a little time reading sir.

I think they have fingerprints....since they specifically ruled out C, G, and L and not KC. Why not rule out KC, too, unless they couldn't?

The SA has prosecutorial discretion to draft the charges. The Grand Jury determines whether or not to indict on those charges. Only if there is a clear abuse of discretion -- not based on anything in the evidence but only based on improper motives -- can a motion to curb prosecutorial discretion succeed. The SA is okay and doesn't have to talk to the media or the defense about this one. If there is a motion, they will respond showing a modicum of evidence and they will prevail, but even that won't limit them at trial on presenting evidence to support the death penalty. My take on this is the new defense lawyer is just trying to flush them out to determine how strongly the SA feels about the DP to see if and how much room there is to deal.

Now that makes sense - and lives up to her reputation! Thanks
"Knowledge is good" (lol from animal house) :)

[/I][/B]

Well, my idea is that AL's mitigating circumstances in KC's defense will be her upbringing and abuse she suffered at home. I don't think the A's will be too happy about that. But then again, AL said KC is innocent, so I'm waiting to see what she presents.

I do think AL will be the best defense for KC if she will last. If she is not allowed to proceed as lead attorney, I'm not too sure she will be content to sit second chair to JB. In fact, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't.

I'm sure hoping that's not the defenses mitigating circumstances. I don't feel Casey was abused.... so many people can look & find something disfunctional in their upbringing.

There isn't anything from her upbringing that I see that could substanuate killing her child. CA & Casey had a deeply co-dependant relationship. Casey getting a real job & moving out would have resolved most her issues.

She just wanted to stay where it was easy & she had power over CA by holding Caylee over her head. Casey did just that until from my opinion CA 'had enough & was going to boot her out & go for custody'. Casey did what sadly many spouses in divorce/custody battles do... she planned if that were ever to occur she'd ensure CA never gets Caylee. I think the last straw was June 15th for CA and Casey enacted the plan. jmo

BBM
Curious as to Why Baez made this statement..trying to turn the "hounds" on the lawyers for the SAO in hopes of catching them say something he can use...JMO.
It has been stated by the SA office that they will not speak to the media about this case. And I have not seen any of the SA lawyers working on this case give an interview or go on a media tour after any of the hearings.
I have heard the SA only speak of the findings of the Grand Jury, that they were seeking the DP, then the DP removed, then DP put back on the table due to aggravating factors..other than that I haven't seen them on the media train.

Kinda hope the judge lets him DO it. I think he'd end up wearing a taller pointy hat, while he sits in a corner, facing the wall.

"I want to help you... on educating you in certain things... in covering this case"

Thank God the media professionals can now learn, courtesy of JB, how to do their jobs which they've done for years.

"I employ upon all of you to do your job and to do a thorough job"

Employ upon? What? :confused:

I don't know, but the papers say the unIMPLOREment rate is rising. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

That is what needs to happen but it won't. Casey is "prepared to take this as far as she needs to go" in order to prove she is innocent. Casey is going for all or nothing. She isn't concerned about saving her life because she wants complete vindication. Casey will not take responsibility for this crime in any form.

Dark circles under KC eyes, as someone noted? Yeah, she's worried about a defense strategy of keeping her off DR at any cost, meaning the use of
lawyers who specialize in areas such as DP, accidental death, forensics, etc. whose expertise will be utilized for what it's worth. I don't think KC's in any
position to ask for new cards: she has to play those she's given by the dealer. It would be silly for out-of-state attorneys to travel all that distance just to
play by KC's rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member