Casey & Family Psychological Profile #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same as you..if only I had??? Etc. I have learned so much through all of the wonderful WS members. I haven't truly studied so many subjects since I was in college! Which I miss very much if I could have been a full time student I would have! I've learned through this case to open my eyes & that everyone can broaden their knowledge forever. Graphic Design major with a minor in Art History...but I took psych. classes for a lot of my electives. I have to admit that I have an interest in sooooo many other things.
Too bad KC didn't see life that way but she choose a different path which I blame her for not admitting she needed help mentally etc. Her parents are to blame for not seeking her help as a minor & ignoring it later too!
Thanks to all for your great insight & wealth of knowledge on every thread!:blowkiss:

Sociopathy is a toughie, though. It's not curable, at this time

Generally, if you can even GET a sociopath to see a shrink, they just morph into "the perfect patient."

Put a sociopath on a green sofa, they'll turn green. Take one to see, "Bambi," they'll act like a deer. It's all about chameleoning into whatever they think people want to see.

Generally, if you can even GET a sociopath to see a shrink, they just morph into "the perfect patient."

Put a sociopath on a green sofa, they'll turn green. Take one to see, "Bambi," they'll act like a deer. It's all about chameleoning into whatever they think people want to see.

Sooooooooo scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Sorry if this has been posted, but it is new to me. I was surfing and read this. It fits KC to a tee. Very chilling and creepy, especially this, "Casey has the capacity to read others quickly and recognize their vulnerabilities." :eek: According to this shrink, she is text book sociopath, which of course we knew all along.
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/10/19/222920.php

Yep. A female Ted Bundy. But, not driven to thrill-kill, like he was, because of absence of testosterone. She could likely kill, again, if there was something to gain.

KC's case will be studied in psych and crim college clesses for a long time to come.

Moo

I just read a story in Glamour magazine about a woman who kept faking cancer, even after she was caught, she would move to another town and start her sob story all over again - because she was an uncontrollable liar. I think it is very interesting because she says she's not sure if it will happen again -she's not sure if she can control her lying. I am throwing out to the psychiatric crowd we have on here, is there such a thing as uncontrollable lying? where a person really can't control it? not to give CA any excuses, but I think it's a fascinating aspect of her psyche.

here is the Glamour story, for those of you who do not get Glamour or have not picked up a copy this month:

She Said She Had Breast Cancer—But She Lied
http://http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2008/10/she-said-she-had-breast-cancer-but-she-lied

Meunchausen's. I have seen a couple of cases. Not many.

The worst are the Meunchausen's by Proxy. They make their KIDS sick to death, to get attention.

It's also called Factitious Disorder.

Based on the American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000, it is called FACTITIOUS DISORDER

... motivated by a psychological need to assume the sick role ... the person is not usually aware of the motivation ... may present with subjective complaints (e.g., pain), falsification of objective signs (e.g., manipulation of thermometer), self-inflicted conditions (e.g., injecting saliva into skin), exaggeration or exacerbation of preexisting medical condition (e.g., fake seizure). There are two basic types:

300.16 With Predominantly Psychological Signs and Symptoms

300.19 With Predominantly Physical Signs and Symptoms

predisposing factors:
... childhood mental or physical disorders that result in extensive attention and treatment.
... family disruption
... emotional or physical abuse
... a grudge against mental health or medical
... employment in a mental health or medically related position
... presence of a severe Personality Disorder, most often Borderline Personality Disorder.

more common in females than in males
Munchausen's syndrome more frequent in males than in females
prevalence is unknown
... around 1% of those on whom mental health professionals consult
... appears to be higher in specialized treatment settings.
onset is generally in early adulthood, often after hospitalization

Russell

There's also often a medical family connection. Like, maybe dad was a doctor. There have also been a few nurses, with this.

BTW I love how in the DCS doc dump today, KC says she was administered an MMPI and everything was fine and normal.

MMPI's are not reccommended for batterers or sociopaths (Both groups of people can appear quite normal on an MMPI.)

Sociopath? Batterer? Completely and totally healthy? Which would you put money on?

I'd say, when she discussed that test, her nose prolly grew another inch.

The MMPI is easy to fake, though. Back in college, we used to like to make the different scales go up and down.

I think there are more sociopaths among us than we would ever realize. We may kid ourselves and believe they are all way down on the social scale, but not so. If they can discipline themselves, they can be very successful. They can be like wolves in sheeps clothing. It certainly does explain some of the craziness and cruelty that goes on in this world.

It's said that it's up to maybe 3%-- that we KNOW of....

If we get conservative, and just go by the 3%, that would mean that there are around 9,000,000 sociopaths in the US.

But, I don't think that counts FUNCTIONAL sociopaths. They ones who live amorally, but not ilegally.

You could be right, OLG. It's just that some of the things she did were almost identical to the things Casey's done (hiding a pregnancy, abandoning a car, disappearing, lying about everything, neglecting her children when they were small, etc etc), and I'd pretty much come to think that Casey is a sociopath. We never saw any indication of drug use with my sister, but lots of drinking and minor scrapes with the law after she left home. This out of control behavior lasted into her 30's, which seems like she would have gotten the rebellion against our parents out of her system long before then. And my parents were not enablers, it was a fairly strict household we were brought up in, there were definite consequences if we f'd up.

Like I said, I'm speculating about what it was with my sister, it sure looked like sociopathic behavior. But with her being the total opposite now, it's probably a good indication she really wasn't.

Fascinating stuff to me though!

She couldn't have been a sociopath. They don't grow out of it.

My diagnosis would be,,, BRAT, during her younger years. Maybe even LITTLE MONSTER, for awhile.

You could be right, OLG. It's just that some of the things she did were almost identical to the things Casey's done (hiding a pregnancy, abandoning a car, disappearing, lying about everything, neglecting her children when they were small, etc etc), and I'd pretty much come to think that Casey is a sociopath. We never saw any indication of drug use with my sister, but lots of drinking and minor scrapes with the law after she left home. This out of control behavior lasted into her 30's, which seems like she would have gotten the rebellion against our parents out of her system long before then. And my parents were not enablers, it was a fairly strict household we were brought up in, there were definite consequences if we f'd up.

Like I said, I'm speculating about what it was with my sister, it sure looked like sociopathic behavior. But with her being the total opposite now, it's probably a good indication she really wasn't.

Fascinating stuff to me though!

Bold is mine. Which is why I say she probably felt she had to run away to do her screwing up, she knew she was raised better than that and her parents (yours too of course LOL) would be very upset about her behaviors. She left (imo) them because she loved them and couldn't stand to see the pain she was causing. I hope you didn't think I was saying I felt your parents were enablers! :blowkiss:

There's also often a medical family connection. Like, maybe dad was a doctor. There have also been a few nurses, with this.

My mom fakes illnesses, always has.. I think Ive talked a bit about it here. But I always just thought it was part of the Borderline. I wonder if it's got it's own little DX.

Maybe it's just immaturity? She grew up. I have an aunt (she's almost 80 now) that pulled this kind of thing when she was young. Got married, had 3 kids, ran out on him to California. My mother tracked her down and she eventually came home. She changed, and grew up.

I see alot of the dynamic between CA and KC in my own relationship with my mother. Only it happened when I was a teenager, I wasn't pregnant, and I had a great support system in friends and relatives who all thought my mom was insane (I don't think she was insane, but all of my friends were normal.) When I was 16, I bounced around, living in friends and relatives houses, I worked and went to school. Once I graduated I got my own place.

We were seriously dysfunctional. I worked 2 and 3 jobs so I could maintain my
own place. I'm also an alcoholic, so I had to pay for my drinking and pot habit. I quit drinking in 1989. After I quit drinking, my mom for the longest time would purposely push my buttons trying to get me to drink again so she could say I told you so.

But the point of this is this: I was able to break away from my control freak mom. I mean, she had a fit the first time I bought my own pair of glasses when I was in my 20's. I've learned to not let her treat me like dirt, and that she doesn't have control over my life. Bugs her no end, too, lol.

God bless you for not letting your mother determine who or what you were going to be. We are not born to make them happy, we are born to find our own happiness...I hope you have found yours!!:woohoo:

I'd say, when she discussed that test, her nose prolly grew another inch.

The MMPI is easy to fake, though. Back in college, we used to like to make the different scales go up and down.

I agree. Depending on the state of mind you are in you answer questions differently to. I've taken a few of them (had to get clearance for some LE position and they have to rule out certain personality traits/deficiencies) and no two results/Dx's were alike.....LE finally just interviewed me/interrogated me before I took the position to make sure that the many different results weren't a mental defect in itself...

OMG! Could I be less mentally healthy than KC? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!:doh:

Just a comment or two on these terms ...

The terms sociopath (Antisocial Personality Disorder) and psychopath apply to very diverse populations of individuals who share some characteristics, not a stereotypical “type” of person. Regardless of your preferences in terms, psychopaths/sociopaths differ according to a wide range of variables (e.g., intelligence/sophistication).

In addition to other diagnostic considerations, the American Psychiatric Association’s DSM-IV-TR™ Antisocial Personality Disorder is characterized by “A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults,
5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others
6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another”

Note that there are 35 different ways to select three out of seven diagnostic criteria, 35 different ways to select four out of seven, 21 different ways to select five out of seven, seven different ways to select six out of seven, and one way to select seven out of seven – theoretically, a total of 99 different “types” of individuals that fall within the DSM-IV-TR™ diagnostic category of Antisocial Personality Disorder (301.7). Only one of these 99 would actually meet all seven diagnostic criteria, but only three are necessary for a diagnosis.

Regarding the diverse population of individuals assessed as psychopaths based on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised, the Hare PCL-R consists of 20 items which are rated on a three point scale (0, 1, or 2) for a maximum possible score of 40. There is an assumption that the higher the score, the greater the degree of psychopathy. The 40-point maximum profile incorporates all combinations of lower scores, including all individuals who would score high enough to be classified as a psychopath (generally 30 or above). I will leave it to someone else to calculate the number of different ways to score 30 or above on a Hare PCL-R.

1. Glibness/Superficial Charm
2. Grandiose Sense of Self-Worth
3. Need for Stimulation/Proneness to Boredom
4. Pathological Lying
5. Conning/Manipulative
6. Lack of Remorse or Guilt
7. Shallow Affect
8. Callous/Lack of Empathy
9. Parasitic Lifestyle
10. Poor Behavioral Controls
11. Promiscuous Sexual Behavior
12. Early Behavior Problems
13. Lack of Realistic, Long-Term Goals
14. Impulsivity
15. Irresponsibility
16. Failure to Accept Responsibility for Own Actions
17. Many Short-Term Marital Relationships
18. Juvenile Delinquency
19. Revocation of Conditional Release
20. Criminal Versatility

In any case, sociopaths and psychopaths are very heterogeneous populations with a wide range of individual differences rather than a homogeneous population which can be easily understood and stereotyped.

Just my opinions,
Russell

It's not a mental illness, exactly. It's a total deficiency of the normal, human capacity to care.

Brini - It makes me wonder what KC is thinking this weekend. She knows that TES and the volunteers are out there searching. Is she nervous at all or does her self inflated ego laugh as she believes nothing will be found??? :confused:

KC seems to have strong narcissitic traits which means she is never
thinking about anyone besides herself . She believes she is smarter
than LE . The thought of searchers finding Caylee will never enter
her mind .
Her mind is preoccupied on how to get the next thing she
wants with the least amount of effort. 24/7 365

She doesnt live in reality - her world is a mixture of fanasty and magical
thinking - she has the starring role and others are only bit players.

I love this description- so on target!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member