Casey files for-Indigency; Defense reveals how much it's been paid!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What fresh hell is this?????

"Uh, well, there wasn't a death penalty-worthy attorney here in the State I wanted to pass this case off to, so instead hired this lady from out of State to sit first chair for me, and now, well.......I'd like the State of FL to pay."

I don't even live near FL and my bottom feels the ......well, I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Well said! :)
I don't live near FL either and I completely agree with you!!!

If the state is required to provide legal representation for everyone that is charged by the state would they not also extend that to having someone who is "death penalty qualified" in their pool of public defenders?
Yep, they sure will, and do, and have - public defenders that are death penalty qualified. In fact, in California right now, the DA is looking through her roster and their schedules to see which of their high power defenders are death penalty qualified for that monster, JAG.

I still want to know where the rest of the money she/they got ($250K) went. How much did she get and how much did the A's get and now we know how much JB got.

So now the state will have to fund the defense team she picked, instead of the public defender all of the other indigent defendants are handed ? I see Casey's popularity declining by the minute in Florida and in prison. There are lots of women there that didn't get an Andrea L, or famed forensic experts...they took what they were handed and that usually isn't a lot.

Exactly! :)

:clap::clap::clap:

This has always bothered me! I kept thinking "how come she doesn't have the public defender???"

I am DISGUSTED that she can legally fund her defense by selling pictures of the daughter SHE murdered. It sickens me all the way to the bottom of my soul. :banghead: :furious: :banghead:

I'm with you! :)

So now the state will have to fund the defense team she picked, instead of the public defender all of the other indigent defendants are handed ? I see Casey's popularity declining by the minute in Florida and in prison. There are lots of women there that didn't get an Andrea L, or famed forensic experts...they took what they were handed and that usually isn't a lot.

Really? Really? OMGosh! Why? Why do we have to fund her choice? Is this a true and fast legal rule? Please, please tell me JS has the authority to now assign her a public defender.

I actually think KC would have been better off with a public defender rather than Baez. Public defenders get lots and lots of experience. I do agree the taxpayers of Florida should not have to pay for Andrea Lyon's expert service though. KC should at least find a death penalty lawyer from Florida to represent her, like Terry Lenamon, or rather someone in Orange County. It's a big county, right? She can't be the only person there that has needed to defend herself against the death penalty.
I agree with you Prudence, public defenders are not all bad and yes, some are very good. A PD would have different motivations, I believe, in a case such as this and that would be good too. I think there would be a greater chance of a plea with a PD, while I believe Jose is in it for the notoriety.

I am sure Orange Co. has a very good supply of DP qualified lawyers and even if Casey had to go the PD route, she would be supplied with one. I don't believe Jose is going to let that happen though.

Yep, they sure will, and do, and have - public defenders that are death penalty qualified. In fact, in California right now, the DA is looking through her roster and their schedules to see which of their high power defenders are death penalty qualified for that monster, JAG.

I still want to know where the rest of the money she/they got ($250K) went. How much did she get and how much did the A's get and now we know how much JB got.

Just my guess here:
$250,000 paid by tv network
- 83,333 (less 1/3 finder's fee (Jose's or ???))
$166,667 remaining for KC
- 55,556 (less 1/3 for income taxes (just guessing on tax amount))
$111,111 remaining for JB and AL (wow, pretty close :))

They have gotten paid this much money and they haven't done a thing :furious:

Oh, I don't know.....I'll bet JB bought a new car and AL bought a few cardigans 3 sizes too small. :innocent:

Things always come out late in the day in this case. I've even gotten into the habit of checking the news after I get home from work because even the judge seems to (purposely?) wait til the end of the day to make rulings...I guess this explains the mortgage, huh? Now does this mean the taxpayers have to pay for a dream team defense or just a reasonable, competent defense (in which case they'll need a new defense attorney)?

Let's pause for a deep breath.....
Inhale through the nose 1...2....3....4....5
Exhale through the mouth 1...2....3...4....5

Hey Sleutherontheside,
It ain't working!! I need to double my blood pressure meds! With the economy the way it is and unemployment so high it is such a travesty for the taxpayers of Florida to have to pay for this circus. :banghead::banghead::furious::furious:

Really? Really? OMGosh! Why? Why do we have to fund her choice? Is this a true and fast legal rule? Please, please tell me JS has the authority to now assign her a public defender.
I really don't know what the rule is in a situation like this...maybe one of our legal experts can weigh in. I guess if her current lawyers agree to go along with what the state will provide, money wise, they'll stay on the case. If her current lawyers say they can't stay on, with the money provided by the state, does she get assigned a PD ?

So what does this line mean: Baez said Anthony, 23, was willing to pay for her defense until the state put the death penalty back on the table, making her unable to cover the expense.

Which is it, she was willing now she's unable..that sense makes no sense. Either she was willing, now she's not willing or she was able and now she's not able to. She should get a PD if the State has to pay. I think this is what AL told the State when they agreed to a schedule of discovery; that this was coming. Does this mean the defense will admit she didn't have a job or just that she didn't save any of her hard earned event planner money.

So giving this more thought.........I would like an attorney to weigh in on this.

KC filed for indigent status prior to Jose Baez being retained. Shortly thereafter......JB was brought on and the indigent status was a moot point.

AL made very specific statements during the check fraud hearing suggesting her client file indigent status.

My question......because KC already filed as indigent....would the court require she complete a new application or would they use the original. I am trying to determine if this was possibly part of the plan from the early stages.

I'm confused on this too...so a person can file as being indigent, then pay 90k, that's 90 THOUSAND dollars and there's no problem with that? I guess we know what all of those 8 hour days at Baez' office were all about. Man I hope somebody gets an *** kicking over this. Seriously - and AL got 22k? Wow. And still, what have they even done? I'd love to hear an attorneys opinion on what has actually been done. Plenty of media stuff and motions but what else?

PLUS, didn't Jose explicitly state that they weren't selling the pics? Guess there's a lot unanswered right now - on a Friday - end of a news cycle - yet another coincidence.

Yes, we need lawyer input like yesterday because this just frightens me. If the judge passes this, does this mean they can dip into the, what, millions the state has set aside for indigent costs and spend as much as they want on experts and the like? So she can get her OJ defense? This just doesn't seem FAIR at all!

Can the judge make her take a public defender? I really hope that's the case, because if it's not, I'm going to be really nervous at the thought of them having all the money they want to do what they want and possibly get her less of a sentence or even a walk.

Honestly, I don't want them going from having NOTHING to getting whatever they want. I don't like this. I don't like this ONE BIT. I really hope I'm misunderstanding it...

And WTF has Jose done with almost 90,000 bucks in fees? He can't use some of that to cover other costs? Or maybe he's put it in an offshore account and has a plane standing by to escape as soon as he can, lol.

I wonder if the SA end run, to file a motion to determine how the Defense were being funded and in which KC handwrote the affadavit note shut them down?

The original funding plan had to be abandoned and then they were left to run on current funds until empty?

The Defense knew about the DP charges for over a year now, since just after Caylee was located so must have been able to forecast and calculate how much was needed to fund and operate, with fees and costs in a DP case. There are benchmarks to compare against.

It seems that maybe JB burnt almost a year before he was forced to face the inevitable and file indigency and yes, I agree the Defense probably gave the SA a heads-up when they were working on the discovery schedule -- thus the new May 2011 date.

What does the part I bolded mean? It's such an illogical statement. Either you can pay or you can't. The word *willing* implies that she has the means but rejects paying on some moral grounds. She should pay every bit as much as she has!

I posted the same thought without reading yours first! It makes no sense!

What does the part I bolded mean? It's such an illogical statement. Either you can pay or you can't. The word *willing* implies that she has the means but rejects paying on some moral grounds. She should pay every bit as much as she has!

Yeah, on the purely selfish moral grounds that she doesn't want to die (is selfish and moral together like that an oxymoron?). I bet she pitched a fit like a little kid when the DP was put back on the table.

When I read your statement, I immediately pictured Casey with crossed arms and a frown on her face, saying, "So the state wants to kill me? Fine, then I won't pay you anymore!" Then she goes and sits in a corner and pouts that the big mean state wants to kill her. Yeah, she'll show 'em by going broke! *eyeroll*

I'm confused on this too...so a person can file as being indigent, then pay 90k, that's 90 THOUSAND dollars and there's no problem with that? I guess we know what all of those 8 hour days at Baez' office were all about. Man I hope somebody gets an *** kicking over this. Seriously - and AL got 22k? Wow. And still, what have they even done? I'd love to hear an attorneys opinion on what has actually been done. Plenty of media stuff and motions but what else?

PLUS, didn't Jose explicitly state that they weren't selling the pics? Guess there's a lot unanswered right now - on a Friday - end of a news cycle - yet another coincidence.

This is my question......she filed for indigent status THEN Jose was retained. So while she would have been indigent prior to his being retained......if photos etc....were sold after he came on board and she declined a public defender then the situation would change.

IIRC there have been issues like this addressed when evaluating attorney fees and how they are being paid.

BTW...as far as timed at an end to a news cycle.....this is VERY common practice.

As I have heard it before....if you have bad news....release it on Friday afternoon as the layouts have already been planned for news....and slots assigned to stories.

While the story isn't minimized.....the maximum exposure is relegated to local news, smaller columns, and it is less likely to be that HUGE splash that it would be otherwise.

Additionally......it is also well known that fewer people read the newspaper or peruse news sites over the week-end.

From the link:..............Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee.

Anthony has already paid Baez and death penalty expert Andrea Lyon $111,954, but Baez said that is not enough to give Anthony the defense she needs, and taxpayers should make up the difference.

Baez said Anthony, 23, was willing to pay for her defense until the state put the death penalty back on the table, making her unable to cover the expense........

The Anthony's have paid over $100,000 to Baez already?
Guess that explains the defaulted mortgage hey? ;)

Where are all her anonymous supporters who believe she is innocent? (Heraldo...where are you?) Why aren't they putting up some money for her defense? Where are all the anti-death penalty advocates? Where are the churches? Where are the feminists who believe she has been wrongly charged? Where are the do-gooder reporters looking to prove a young woman wrongfully accused to further their careers? Where are the radio talk show hosts? Where did NG go? Where did the A's friends go? Actually...where is anybody? Where did they all go? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Private Investiga