Casey is indigent? Now what?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought that Jose was in this case, for the notariety, so I think he will take what the state offers (al though not very graciously). I almost wish Casey was assigned a PD, although it would take longer for that atty to get up to speed. I feel sure that with a good PD a plea deal would be looked at much more seriously. I have always felt that the lawyers, defense, were in this to make a buck down the road, well, it will be interesting to see how many of them feel like working for PD's pay.

Is that how that works in Florida? In Ca, when SP ran out of money, the judge said it was way too late for a PD, so the judge retained Geragos. MG collected a huge amount of money from the County.

IMHO, Baez will have to settle with the state for payment. The judge will unlikely pull him now and pass her off to a public defender. Case in point - the Westerfield case was the same way. He sold his home, but that money went quickly. He was declared indigent, and his attorney stayed on the case. At the end, San Diego paid a hefty fee to his attorney. I see the same thing happening here.....

http://lakecountyclerk.org/online_court_records_detail.asp?case_id=78899567

Nilton Diaz --- the eariler murder case of Baez's. Interesting to scroll down and read how Baez is still trying to get payment from the court from that case. Baez is no stranger to asking the court for money. :waitasec:

Well after looking this over my thoughts are...... Why in the world would it be allowed to appear by PHONE!!!! What the heck ?????? If i was on trail for my life I would expect my attorney to get up off his lazy butt and at least make it into the court room.....

Too bad KC wasn't a real Event Planner with a real job and real money.

Thankyou for the video Strawberry and lauriej as I'd never seen it.

Boy, she's cold!

Casey is/was "indigent" from "day one". Nothing has changed regarding her finances. If the media had been wrapped up in other cases/news, KC would have floated down the river without a paddle (since she couldn't afford to buy one).
Fate played a BIG part in this case. Nothing else "big" was going on at the time. The media jumped all over this WEIRDO case and never let go, since it got juicier and juicier with every passing day.
Casey has NO money. Casey NEVER HAD any money. She was and is INDIGENT for sure.

That's just it - paid or not paid by I don't think when this is finally over that Baez is going to get a lot of deep pocketed customers to defend. He's going to be right back where he started.

However...I've been thinking, which can be dangerous mind you so back up a bit...can the A's throw a wrench into the trial now because they'd file against Baez for not representing KC to the fullest? Or maybe they'll claim that her bad decision in keeping JB on is a sign of mental illness?

Believe me, I'm just grasping at straws, it ain't fact.

I also believe that JB will go back to being the worm that he is and crawling around as a bottom-feeder to irk out a living, I also don't think the A's have any legal rights to file against JB for not representing KC to the fullest..........she is a grown woman of legal emancipated age in the EYES of the law and not the immature girl-child/daughter that THEY see her as............which leads me to my last answer........I don't think that they could claim that her bad decision in keeping JB on is a sign of mental illness........they are far from being experts on mental illness.......IIRC, are'nt there 1 or 2 people on the States witness list that have stated that KC felt like she was losing her mind or something to that effect and wanted to be committed and CA either talked her out of it or swept it under the rug/ignored it?

Well, based on JB's appearance as a legal analysist on Geraldo the other night, I'd say he has his ducks lined up for when this fiasco trial is over......MOO. He likes the camera, $500 haircuts and expensive suits too much to go back to defending pimps, prostitutes and drunk drivers....

I saw that The World, but it really wasn't clear to me when this different lawyer was approached. Can you confirm if it was before Baez made the rights deal or has it been recently?:waitasec:

BBM
That's what I would like to know. What date was this lawyer approached to represent Casey?

Casey had hired Baez almost immediately upon her arrest on July 16, 2008
Casey was indicted for Murder in October 2008
The A's were advised NOT to visit Casey (IMO as per Baez and Casey/the A's agreed)
Brad, IIRC, became the A's attornery in Dec 2008 around the time Caylee's remains were found.

But it seems, at least this one time, the A's were trying to find another lawyer to present to Casey as a possible alternative to Baez but ultimately it is Casey's decision as to who represents her and she chose and continues to choose Baez.

Well, based on JB's appearance as a legal analysist on Geraldo the other night, I'd say he has his ducks lined up for when this fiasco trial is over......MOO. He likes the camera, $500 haircuts and expensive suits too much to go back to defending pimps, prostitutes and drunk drivers....

Thanks for posting this!

I saw him on a snippet several days ago and could not remember which one! I was stunned to see him on there (on any national TV show, LOL)...had it not been for Casey's case (really, CAYLEE's), he wouldn't have this "opportunity." Makes me sick.

Thanks for posting the Video lauriej..I would love to find the transcript..so far no luck.

Firstly, Casey agrees to have for an attorney from the Public Defenders office appointed...so I am intrigued how Baez quickly showed up on the scene after this hearing. I remember reading Mr Hornsby's view on that in his blog "Attorney of Record in Record Time"

I love how the Judge speaks frankly to Casey at this July 17,2008 Hearing.
Paraphrasing
He says, after reviewing the paperwork,
1. Casey left her 2 year old child with a person who does not exist,
2. at an apartment she can not identify
3. that she lied to her parents and friends concerning her child's whereabouts.
4.That it appears to the courts that she cares so little for her child that she didn't report missing until 5 weeks later and that was only done because the Cindy insisted on seeing Caylee.
5.Her child is still missing and it appears Casey has shown no regret or concern for all her actions

If I was JB I would have ridden the coat tails of TL, the DP-qualified attorney, as a co-counsel. He seemed to have a good strategy that made sense to me, originally got the DP off the table and -- JB could have gotten a relative success under his belt and moved on.

"Anytime there is a struggle between doing what is actually right and doing what seems right, then your ego is interfering with your decision." --Darren L. Johnson

I agree Cyberborg, JB could have gotten this case resolved much earlier on in this case and moved on, but he didn't. oh well.

But Baez did not agree with TL's strategy, he wanted things to go his way...and so here we are..Casey in jail and the DP back on the table.

Let me just say that the possibility of KC's team running out of money is very, very probable. I worked for a law firm for 25 years. A very successful Plaintiff's civil litigation firm. Huge class actions, personal liability, etc. There were times when money was stretched thin. It takes money to make money. OR it takes money to work a case properly. I'm talking up to a million dollars in expenses alone. You basically eat your hourly time until the verdict comes in. The firm would (at times) have to get their line of credit extended. But when you are into a bank for a million or so dollars, you better have (1) personal wealth to back it up or (2) a case that is expected to bring in the big bucks. And you better be able to prove your case to your banker.

So JB either has (a) a money tree in his backyard, or (b) some huge deals to be closed somewhere down the line, or (c) a private backer............because he is not representing someone where a huge monetary verdict is expected. No payola. He's in waaaaaay too deep to give up now. I'm saying he's going for the gold.

BBM

I pick door B- some huge deal down the line...say writing a book

EXACTLY. I think he will stick this out as long as possible because he sees the light of the camera at the end of the tunnel. I have said before I believe HE thinks he will wind up a legal analyst on FOX or HLN or maybe even on Mizz Naaaancy's show.

Maybe Jose will have to scale down his GQ look (do away with those matching handkerchiefs and suits). He could sell his BMW and take the bus to work. Of course, he won't be able to use those world renowned experts (they usually expect money for services rendered). If he is really only interested, in saving his client from this thing he calls an injustice, he won't mind the cut backs. I am sure he's in it for justice and not the money.

If they declare her indigent, does the defense then have to show what money they had come in and justify how it was spent? Will we know how much Baez paid himself? Baez certainly wouldn't want this information to be public knowledge.

One more question -- if she is declared indigent, will the present defense team be able to stay on and be funded by the State? I've asked this question in the question and answer thread, but don't think if was ever answered. Does anyone know?

That's a great question! In Cali it could be done, you just have to have court approval and also be willing to take the small hourly rate that the county pays it's appointed defense attorneys. Court appointed is different than the public defender's office, so it would be interesting to see how FL handles this.

EXACTLY. I think he will stick this out as long as possible because he sees the light of the camera at the end of the tunnel. I have said before I believe HE thinks he will wind up a legal analyst on FOX or HLN or maybe even on Mizz Naaaancy's show.

You are so right. I am so tired of nauseating legal beagles on those talking head shows. They start out as credible legal experts and wind up as publicity addicted, opinions for hire. I can hardly make myself watch anymore and if JB winds up doing the circuit I will ask my kids how to make the channels not show up on my tv anymore.....

The really sad thing is, with our society the way it is and ratings being the name of the game, he just might end up on top. It's obvious that Geraldo is helping him (IMO Geraldo gets some payoff in this arrangement, such as that first interview with Casey) He knows how things work, and that is what he is aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB