Caylee Anthony General Discussion Thread #132

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several ways this can play out.

IMost defense lawyers in Florida whose clients are facing murder charges do NOT file for a speedy trial, because they want to have time to develop a thorough defense for their clients....UNLESS they file for the speedy trial just to call the prosecution's bluff.

OK thanks QuickAttack! :)

I don't know about FL law but I was under the impression that Double Jeopardy meant you can't be tried for the same crime twice.
If she were to be tried on the neglect and endangerment charges then later Caylee's body surfaces then the new charges would be murder, so I don't think it would be double jeopardy, would it? While they would involve the same victim, they wouldn't be the same crime.

In Florida specifically, from what I understand, and from what others at WS have said, double jeopardy means that you cannot be tried twice for the same crime, or for any criminal activity that may be more detrimental than the original charges for which you were tried. The murder would be considered to be related to the child endangerment charges under Florida law, and therefore you can't be tried twice.

OK, I see.
The office lady overhears there conversation, and she says George told the Birch (the tow truck manager) that they found their daughter, but the granddaughter is missing.

Yep--Nicole Lett is quoted by LE as saying she overheard GA telling Mr. Birch (tow company) his granddaughter was missing.

Mr. Birch is quoted as saying GA told him his daughter wouldn't let him see his granddaughter.

Quite a difference a few words make in a case like this!

Yep--Nicole Lett is quoted by LE as saying she overheard GA telling Mr. Birch (tow company) his granddaughter was missing.

Mr. Birch is quoted as saying GA told him his daughter wouldn't let him see his granddaughter.

Quite a difference a few words make in a case like this!

she might have said missing as she'd found out after that she was missing so was influenced and in her mind "not seeing" and missing was the same

In Florida specifically, from what I understand, and from what others at WS have said, double jeopardy means that you cannot be tried twice for the same crime, or for any criminal activity that may be more detrimental than the original charges for which you were tried. The murder would be considered to be related to the child endangerment charges under Florida law, and therefore you can't be tried twice.

OK that makes sense then, I see where you are going. Kind of a backwards DJ law, if you ask me though lol.
Prosecution better decide where they are headed then, either that or declare this a murder investigation and file appropriate charges.
I think I may loose all faith in humanity if Casey gets charged on the CE and serves 5 years then Caylee's body is found and she doesn't have to pay for it. :mad:

If thats the case then they really jumped the gun on the child neglect charges didn't they....?

Ummm......
You guys are seeing something I'm not seeing.
In the report I read, the tow truck manager was told by George:
"his daughter had been missing for a while, now she will not allow him to see his granddaughter".
Nothing about Caylee being missing.
Am I missing something?
Which page are you on?
It's the interview with the office manager (?) at the impound lot. After Cindy started arguing with her about the fees and she got the manager, the employee went out back for a cigarette. She told LE that she heard George talking to the guy who was taking him to the car, and he said that they found their daughter, but their granddaughter was missing.

I saved the .pdf's to my work computer - do you have the one with that interview? I think it's #2.

Just a thought...

These 400 pages that were released today look REALLY bad for Caylee (I'm even more convinced she's dead) and for Casey (the public will be calling for the needle after all these details play out in the media).

But...considering that LE won't release to the public anything that they feel will compromise the integrity of the case, can you even begin to IMAGINE what LE is still holding, that we don't know about?

Girl is sunk...that's for sure.

Reading the police account of the intial testimony given by all of the Anthony family (around page 290 in the hadnwritten; or about page 30 of part 2) has made me really curious about what transpired between the time they left the car lot and the time the time that Cindy called George.

I mean, they go pick up the car, they know the car smells, and the tow guy even mentions it to George, George has said his granddaughter's missing but his daughter is found, although as pointed out, how did they know that at that point...

With all this going on George STILL leaves and goes elsewhere?

With all this going on Cindy calls him and he doesn't answer the phone?

You would think given the above (and the fact that it'd seem likely Cindy said she was going to call the # in the car, etc.) that he'd have either A) been home and with her (especially after she surely told him she'd found someone who would take her to Casey and she'd be home soon) and B) dropped ANYTHING to answer a phone call...yet Cindy apparently doesn't reach him right away.

What was George doing that was so critical that it had him away from the crucial location of events AND so preoccupied that he didn't get the phone initially AND so busy he told LEE to go check on Cindy and HE didn't go.

Excellent sleuthing! And great post. I wonder what he was up to.

she might have said missing as she'd found out after that she was missing so was influenced and in her mind "not seeing" and missing was the same

Totally what I think as well. (BTW, your icon makes me smile each time I see it.)

OK that makes sense then, I see where you are going. Kind of a backwards DJ law, if you ask me though lol.
Prosecution better decide where they are headed then, either that or declare this a murder investigation and file appropriate charges.
I think I may loose all faith in humanity if Casey gets charged on the CE and serves 5 years then Caylee's body is found and she doesn't have to pay for it. :mad:

I agree with you all the way.

Quick, I really don't want to debate this cause I know nothing of the laws in Florida just what I heard the lawyers say that were on ng and the cute one that is letting his hair grow said dj doesn't count in the charges. and he is a lawyer in florida .. jmo

There are several ways this can play out.

I don't know if Jose Baez has filed for a speedy trial yet or not, but if so, the trial for the current three charges must happen within six months from the arrest date.

If that's the case, and prosecutors don't have enough to charge her with murder, then she'll just be tried on the child endangerment charges. If two years from now, Caylee's body surfaces, she won't be able to be prosecuted for murder, because that would be double jeopardy under Florida law (correct me if I'm wrong).

If Baez has not filed for a speedy trial, then that gives investigators and prosecutors more time to develop a case for murder and to develop the state's case against Casey. It also works to Baez' advantage, because it gives him more time to develop a defense.

Most defense lawyers in Florida whose clients are facing murder charges do NOT file for a speedy trial, because they want to have time to develop a thorough defense for their clients....UNLESS they file for the speedy trial just to call the prosecution's bluff.

I thought I saw someplace that the trial was set for November; am i mistaken?

Quick, I really don't want to debate this cause I know nothing of the laws in Florida just what I heard the lawyers say that were on ng and the cute one that is letting his hair grow said dj doesn't count in the charges. and he is a lawyer in florida .. jmo

Wish we could get a clarification on this. It'd help us to know what kind of timeline we'll be seeing for the trial.

Does anyone know if Baez has filed for a speedy trial yet?

Night everyone! More investigating come morning. :) Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members