Caylee Anthony General Discussion Thread #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T case in Cal child kidnapped in car,driven away bloodhound brought in the dog tracked the child down highways,expressways miles away. the handler had to stop,the dog wouldn't. The next day they found the child (dead) not far from where the dog was stopped.dogs have a very keen sence of smell.

Of course. But no one is shooting at anyone in this thread, and I think it's kinda silly to segregate the forum like that.

We are all adults...we should be able to accept people disagreeing with us without wishing to segregate threads.
I would hope we can debate and discuss here without segregating our opinions. What's the point of a forum if you can't bounce ideas off each other?

You're right. Some or all of the dog evidence could be discounted or disallowed in court. It's happened before.

I was just curious as to how accurate the Cadaver dog was and did a search on it. Quote (attorneys who convinced a judge in Wisconsin that certain dogs were accurate just 22 percent to 38 percent of the time. (The prosecution claimed a success rate of 60 percent to 69 percent.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2174177/

I was just curious as to how accurate the Cadaver dog was and did a search on it. Quote (attorneys who convinced a judge in Wisconsin that certain dogs were accurate just 22 percent to 38 percent of the time. (The prosecution claimed a success rate of 60 percent to 69 percent.)

I think that you would also have to look at the statistics of the specific dog and the dog handlers ... IMO

Wow, thanks for that link. So, in effect cadaver dogs aren't always right.

IMO, Casey does not have the sense to "alert" to such worries, I think she is worried about partying with her friends no matter what the cost.

I can see that. She is extremely immature, self-centered and irresponsible. Thanks for your response!

The dogs, in and of themselves, won't be used to prosecute Casey.

The dogs give investigators a direction to pursue. Therefore, the forensics and other evidence will be what the DA will lean on, more heavily, if he ups the charges to murder.

I don't think that anyone things that the cadaver dogs alone will be the basis of the case against Casey.

It all depends on the dog and his training and his past history I believe. I tried to find the dogs names and their history that made the hits but havent so far.

I think that you would also have to look at the statistics of the specific dog and the dog handlers ... IMO

Well i would totally agree that some dogs could be more accurate than others but my point is that some people form a opinion solely because the dogs hit on the car and yard.

Which is why it won't hold up in court. There are too many cases where cadaver dogs have proven to be not correct.

What's with the woman, a psychic, who is using a cadaver dog? I can't remember her name at the moment? If she is psychic, why does she use cadaver dogs?

Which is why it won't hold up in court. There are too many cases where cadaver dogs have proven to be not correct.

What's with the woman, a psychic, who is using a cadaver dog? I can't remember her name at the moment? If she is psychic, why does she use cadaver dogs?

I believe the smell machine has been brought in as a back up for the dogs,and the police and Cindy,who all said that it smells like a dead body had been in the car.

The dogs give investigators a direction to pursue. Therefore, the forensics and other evidence will be what the DA will lean on, more heavily, if he ups the charges to murder.

I don't think that anyone things that the cadaver dogs alone will be the basis of the case against Casey.

Nope, their human handlers & their (the dogs') behavior will be just a few of the "witnesses" brought forth if there is ever a trial against her.

I don't know but I am sure glad she is using them! More searching for Caylee is good however we can get it done!

That is exactly what they do (and why Baez asked for the info on who the handlers and dogs were). They submit the training of the dogs and the record keeping and expertise of the handler.

The fact does remain that the dogs have been excluded in some cases by the judge, and used (sometime successfully sometimes not) for the appeal basis.

The test they are doing at the Body Farm as mentioned earlier for putriscene/cadaverine/and other chemicals they have identified would also to serve to prove a body was there.

Some people, not here, can't get past the fact that the cadaver dogs (2 of them that hit in different places, I think) think it's the be all and tell all to this case.

And it isn't. We have no forensics back from LE that there actually is decomp in the trunk. It should not be taking this long.

Gale St John is the psychic. She said they use the dogs for collaboration.

The official training stats are suppose to be 95% correct hits for qualification of the dog, but yes they are not always right. They actually think most errors are the handlers, misreading the dog etc...

Respectfully copied from the wikipedia entry on police dogs...
Cadaver dogs - Some dogs are trained in detecting the odor of decomposing bodies. Dogs' noses are so sensitive that they are even capable of detecting bodies that are under running water. Pioneering work was done by Dr. Debra Komar (University of Alberta) in Association with the RCMP Civilian Search Dog Association in this area. The result was the development of training techniques that resulted in near 100% accuracy rates[1]. Her research has been published in the Journal of Forensic Anthropology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver_dog

Depends on the dog and the handler.

I believe the smell machine has been brought in as a back up for the dogs,and the police and Cindy,who all said that it smells like a dead body had been in the car.
Smell machine.... that's funny. But you are correct. They take "air" from the trunk, and in my opinion, it's because the forensics for human decomp turned up nothing. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme