Cell Phone Activity Discussion Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if there were any indications/evidence that the window was the point of entry? You would assume due to the height of the window, there would be SOME clues if someone had went thru it; threads, scrapes, etc...
What is HRD hit? Cadaver dog?

Yes, I would think if window was point of entry they would have been able to collect something. JMO

Yes, HRD... Human Remains Dog.

The search warrant says the cadaver dog hit Oct. 17. The detective and the judge signed the search warrant application the afternoon of Oct. 18. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 17-hour search then began late Oct. 18 or early Oct. 19 and the affadavit was revealed publicly on Oct. 21.

Nothing to correct. Yep. Those are the facts.

The search warrant says the cadaver dog hit Oct. 17. The detective and the judge signed the search warrant application the afternoon of Oct. 18. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 17-hour search then began late Oct. 18 or early Oct. 19 and the affadavit was revealed publicly on Oct. 21.
Thanks, I couldn't remember the exact dates. Logic just says that they wouldn't be the same date. And logic also says if all previous searches prior to the search warrant date were consensual, then they had consent to bring a cadaver dog in and the consensual search was not limited to the baby's room and points of egress.

If I'm understanding, I find this very hinky. Consensual search OK'd by parents, but limitted to only certain areas? Hinky to the max!

This doesn't say that the parents only consented to that area. This says, "The only areas extensively processed for DNA and fingerprints during the consent were the baby's bedroom and possible points of entry." If LE was initially working on intruder did it, then this would make sense. They later got the hit from HRD that made LE proceed in asking for search warrant.

If the parents didn't consent to full searches then how did LE get the HRD hit in the first place?:waitasec:
:twocents:

Unless one knew that the dead baby wasn't there long and they thought there would be no detection of such...and then did whatever.

What other explanation is there...mom is passed out (or sleeping) in her bed, by her own account...and someone else put a dead body "in an area of the floor near the bed"? (same bed)

Oy... :banghead:
If the baby was not dead very long, wouldn't most people still call 911 hoping and praying that there was a chance of life?

Thanks, I couldn't remember the exact dates. Logic just says that they wouldn't be the same date. And logic also says if all previous searches prior to the search warrant date were consensual, then they had consent to bring a cadaver dog in and the consensual search was not limited to the baby's room and points of egress.

It all blurs in together now but I'm pretty sure dogs were in and out of the property quite a bit those first few days and then the following week when they went back after the Oct. 8 interviews.

It all blurs in together now but I'm pretty sure dogs were in and out of the property quite a bit those first few days and then the following week when they went back after the Oct. 8 interviews.
Yep, they were here a LOT.

DeAnn...

Do you remember a statement by LE around the time the search warrant was obtained that was something to the effect, DB/JI have something in the house that wasn't there before? I thought I remembered that, but haven't been able to find it. I thought that since you were w/ news that you might remember that. TIA

Right DB didn't have time to do all of that. An accomplice likely sweetened and quickened things up nicely. MO

So where were the boys when this was happening?

What evidence points to an accomplice? Still doesn't make any sense for the phones to be missing. You can bet that if those phones can be tied to the parents making a call to an accomplish (which BTW the people who recieved the phone call, state they do not know DB or JI) they would have probable cause to bring them in for further questioning with or without their lawyers permission.

How can we not at least consider SODDI? You would have to believe that in the middle of getting rid of her baby girl she stopped tried to access her VM and then tried to get online all with phones that she knew didn't work:waitasec: But wait..she took all 3 of them just to be on the safe side...I don't buy it IMO

I was out of the country the week of the search warrant. It was weird to be in Mexico and getting updates on TV news there about the search for Lisa. I've read speculation here but all that I know for sure is what's in the search warrant application.

So where were the boys when this was happening?

What evidence points to an accomplice? Still doesn't make any sense for the phones to be missing. You can bet that if those phones can be tied to the parents making a call to an accomplish (which BTW the people who recieved the phone call, state they do not know DB or JI) they would have probable cause to bring them in for further questioning with or without their lawyers permission.

How can we not at least consider SODDI? You would have to believe that in the middle of getting rid of her baby girl she stopped tried to access her VM and then tried to get online all with phones that she knew didn't work:waitasec: But wait..she took all 3 of them just to be on the safe side...I don't buy it IMO

Has Dane stated that? I thought he said KCPD had asked him not to comment on whether he knew DB or JI or not. I could be wrong. I'm tired and the Dane/Shane/Megan Wright stuff does become a bit of a blur.

It's difficult to find much in-depth information about pings and triangulation. It appears to be very sensitive information for the government and LE, imo, based on what I have found available. I too wish we had a verified expert here at WS!

Here is a snip from an article that is simple and useful, imo.

Cell phone triangulation is a well-known tracking method within the wireless industry, said Michael Barker, an equipment sales manager for Cell-Loc, based in Calgary, Alberta. His company provides tracking services to help people who are incapacitated and unable to dial for help.

"Every time the cell phone is on, it periodically sends a little registration message to the phone company, 'Here I am! Here I am!'" Barker said. That message contains the cell phone's electronic serial number and tells the service provider when the phone has drifted in and out of cell tower range.

Federal agents then easily can get in contact with the cell phone service company and get the location of the nearest cell tower in contact with the activated phone, Barker said.

Law enforcement then can equip agents with devices designed to triangulate the signal and determine its location within about a third of a mile and the direction it was traveling in, Barker said. Handheld equipment for such a search is not sold to the general public, he said.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2002/05/52396

Has Dane stated that? I thought he said KCPD had asked him not to comment on whether he knew DB or JI or not. I could be wrong. I'm tired and the Dane/Shane/Megan Wright stuff does become a bit of a blur.

According to Ruben? (not sure I have that name right, but a reporter who tweeted) Dane sent him a text saying he had no connection to MW or Lisa, (however I believe he meant DB or Lisa as we all know that he has a connection to MW). Not sure if that counts but it was in one of the other threads.

The phone calls and attempts to call the voicemail happened hours apart, but apparently from the same location close to home. So, this SODDI stole the baby and phones and than sat in the area for hours?

It's difficult to find much in-depth information about pings and triangulation. It appears to be very sensitive information for the government and LE, imo, based on what I have found available. I too wish we had a verified expert here at WS!

Cell phone triangulation is a well-known tracking method within the wireless industry, said Michael Barker, an equipment sales manager for Cell-Loc, based in Calgary, Alberta. His company provides tracking services to help people who are incapacitated and unable to dial for help.

"Every time the cell phone is on, it periodically sends a little registration message to the phone company, 'Here I am! Here I am!'" Barker said. That message contains the cell phone's electronic serial number and tells the service provider when the phone has drifted in and out of cell tower range.

Federal agents then easily can get in contact with the cell phone service company and get the location of the nearest cell tower in contact with the activated phone, Barker said.

Law enforcement then can equip agents with devices designed to triangulate the signal and determine its location within about a third of a mile and the direction it was traveling in, Barker said. Handheld equipment for such a search is not sold to the general public, he said.

BBM

That 1/3 mile figure sure sounds familiar. And troubling. The FBI told the parent's legal team that the phone(s) were never more than 1/3 mile from the house.

Perhaps the technology is more precise these days. The article at your link is from 2002. I did a little googling and found a few articles that say the accuracy can be up to 100 feet. The accuracy depends on how many towers are in the area. The more towers, the more accurate.

If the phone(s) in this particular case have a GPS and it was enabled then the accuracy is up to a foot. My phone has GPS but I only enable it when I need it to conserve the battery. I imagine most people do the same so I'm not hopeful that the phone(s) in this case had their GPS enabled.

but they did search the entire house - they found another phone in a drawer!

I am pretty certain that the entire house was not searched. Pulling out drawers is much different than looking under a loose floorboard in the back of the closet, for example. Those phones could have been in a hiding place, with the batteries removed, for days. They could have been in Deb's underwear on her body, for goodness' sake.

The phone calls and attempts to call the voicemail happened hours apart, but apparently from the same location close to home. So, this SODDI stole the baby and phones and than sat in the area for hours?

That's the exact question Megyn Kelly asked of Picerno! Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

I'd like to know if there would be any ping triangulation at all if the phones never left the house that night. I'm wondering if all the phone pings bounced off the same tower.

BBM

Could that be another clue that the phones never left the house?

I am pretty certain that the entire house was not searched. Pulling out drawers is much different than looking under a loose floorboard in the back of the closet, for example. Those phones could have been in a hiding place, with the batteries removed, for days. They could have been in Deb's underwear on her body, for goodness' sake.

To me it is obvious why LE's hands are tied. The phones are still where they were on Oct 3-4, I wonder if LE had the service turned on to the phones's (if they were only turned off for failure to pay) when they were in the home and called the number, but if Deborah took out the batteries they wouldn't ring. That would be something that should have been done. jmo

LE please tell me you had service turned on and called the phones!

BBM

Could that be another clue that the phones never left the house?

I'm starting to wonder if that's what the FBI was trying to imply to the parent's legal team at that 3 hour meeting. If so, then they did a great job of spinning it to their advantage.

I'm going to have to ponder the same questions you've been asking: If those calls came from the house then where are the phones now? Why would the phones need to disappear? What would the calls and internet access attempts mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plaguedoverlord