Cell Phone Activity Discussion Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I'm impressed with your knowledge. I am a crime show addict, specifically Investigation Discovery, and I've never heard anything about how they catch criminals based on cell phone usage and location.

So that I can make sure I understand the basics as it pertains to this particular case, am I correct to assume the following italicized facts:

The 3 cell phones continued pinging until a little after 3am and the location of them from Midnight to 3am was 1/5 to 1/3 mile from DB's home. After 3:15am, the pinging stopped, indicating the batteries died or were removed (and there was no internal circuitry that kept them pinging) or they were submerged in water.

I think your understanding is correct Detective Klimpt.

It truly is fascinating what LE can do with cell pings. After some initial frustration with getting the records, LE was able to locate the body of Kelsey Smith by cell phone pings (IIRC, her cell phone was on her person). Recently, it is my understanding, LE found the body of Michelle Le by using the cell ping records of their female suspect and those of Michelle - ping records showed their phones traveling the same route after Michelle was abducted from her work site - the pings helped determine a search area where Michelle was later found. One that really breaks my heart is Kristi Cornwell. She was abducted while walking near home and was missing for quite some time. When LE learned a man tried to abduct another woman in a similar manner, they had a suspect. He killed himself. Kristi's brother never ever stopped searching for her, long after others did. He found his badly decomposed sister not far from the abduction site within hours of an LEO giving him a tip; the cell ping records of the dead suspect for the day Kristi went missing.

Sorry to go O/T. It just fascinates me; a relatively new tool that can help LE find the missing and bring closure to the family (and help put the bad guys away).

Check the search warrant. The cell in the desk drawer was found on another search. Warrant implies that DB had not initially revealed that the 3 cell phones were missing.

October 6th interview, DB states:
3 cell phones were taken, and 1 was broken
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153779"]Most detailed interview with local media - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Cadavar dogs brought in on Oct. 17th:

The affidavit also revealed that "On October 17, 2011, an FBI cadaver dog was brought into the residence upon consent of (Jeremy) Irwin and Bradley. The cadaver dog indicated a positive 'hit' for the scent of a deceased human in an area of the floor of Bradley's bedroom near the bed."

http://www.kmbc.com/news/29552254/detail.html#ixzz1eUfvP9pU
Wasn't the big search on the 17th:waitasec:.How did they search on the 17th and already have the warrant so early? Something is wrong with that statement. I have to think it means that the info was revealed on the 17th, not that the dog hit was on the 17th.

bbm

I think they are stating this in support of obtaining search warrant. Hey, Judge, we got a HRD hit in the master bedroom; however, the only places we actually collected DNA was baby's room and possible point of entry. Because we got the HRD hit, we need to get in that master bedroom and really do some extensive collecting.

It doesn't mean they didn't search the house well. It just means exactly what it says, "The only areas extensively processed for DNA and fingerprints during the consent were the baby's bedroom and possible points of entry."

This is my opinion. This has been brought up in other threads too. I don't think the HRD hit would have ever happened if LE wasn't searching well. JMO

Wonder if there were any indications/evidence that the window was the point of entry? You would assume due to the height of the window, there would be SOME clues if someone had went thru it; threads, scrapes, etc...
What is HRD hit? Cadaver dog?

I'm with you, indepmo. I think an expert on cell phone triangulation would be great to hear from. Like you, I've got a ton of questions.

I've been doing some research on it but still know very little.

Wasn't the big search on the 17th:waitasec:.How did they search on the 17th and already have the warrant so early? Something is wrong with that statement. I have to think it means that the info was revealed on the 17th, not that the dog hit was on the 17th.

As we know it's important to work with the few facts we have. Dates of the big search and dog hit are 2 facts.

IMO not as complex as people are making it out to be...actually in my mind it's simple...

1. Perp kidnaps BL and takes phones with them..tries to make call to person to come and help them and finds that the phones do not work. Perp gets scared and waits around in an empty house with BL...tries to access any part of the phone to see if they will work...figures out they don't and then tosses them

2. Phone call made to someones phone who has admitted that they did not know DB or JI while DB was sleeping. All phone history from receiving phone has been erased which tells me that this person was trying to hide something...

3. I am fairly sure that after BL was found missing and the parents were questioned LE KNEW every move they made...they could not have gotten those phones out of the house after the 911 call IMO

I don't understand how anyone can say that DB had time to do all of this or even why she would dispose of the phones in the first place...and reading JI's account of the reaction of DB when he came home they were not the reactions of someone who had killed BL, disposed of the body, got in the car, drove without a license and disposed of phones into a river on a bridge that has cameras, traffic and by account of IDM high walls...came back home, put the boys in bed with her, pretended she was asleep and act confused when JI came home...oh and let's not forget...she was drunk! whew

Next door neighbor saw DB go inside house and when she went into her house IIRC between 10:30 and 11:30 all lights were off inside DB's house..so when would DB have had the time to kill (either on purpose or by accident) BL and dispose of all evidence?

Nope I am going to stick by SODDI but you are right..the cell phones will lead us to that person ALL IMO

Right DB didn't have time to do all of that. An accomplice likely sweetened and quickened things up nicely. MO

You're as bad as some of the recent headlines with that teaser. Now you know some of us inquisitive sleuths are dying to see your cell phone Jaxson! J/K. :woohoo:

Ah it was just a joke, couldn't help myself. No pics of me on my cell, not even fully clothed. I was actually thinking of Teri Horman when I did that....

As we know it's important to work with the few facts we have. Dates of the big search and dog hit are 2 facts.
And on 2 different days. My point with this is that article is worded that it was the same day when it couldn't have been. the dog hit was what got the search warrant so it had to be on a different day.

Wonder if there were any indications/evidence that the window was the point of entry? You would assume due to the height of the window, there would be SOME clues if someone had went thru it; threads, scrapes, etc...
What is HRD hit? Cadaver dog?

The window to the computer room was used as the entry point--am I correct? :waitasec:
Clues equal evidence and DNA imo. LE is keeping things tight lipped. that's a good thing imo.

The window to the computer room was used as the entry point--am I correct? :waitasec:
Clues equal evidence and DNA imo. LE is keeping things tight lipped. that's a good thing imo.
Nothing definite on that.

Some abductor...no getaway car, traipsing through those back woods and stopping to check VM, access internet, calling MW's cell-all with a stolen baby in tow. Lucky for him those 3 cell phones were lying on that counter so he didn't have to use his own cell phone-if he had one (silly to try to pull this off without a communication device) to reach whomever he was attempting to reach on MW's cell.

Ah it was just a joke, couldn't help myself. No pics of me on my cell, not even fully clothed. I was actually thinking of Teri Horman when I did that....

I knew you were kidding, it cracked me up. After I read my reply, I worried you might think I thought you were serious, so I deleted my post! Thanks for the laugh though.

Ah Teri, she of the sexting and naughty pic sending just after precious Kyron went missing. Sure wish they'd find little Ky.

yes, WITH consent. And not just in the baby's room or rooms of egress.
Wouldn't make much sense to me to consent to a cadaver dog search if I knew I had a dead baby in my house.
Unless one knew that the dead baby wasn't there long and they thought there would be no detection of such...and then did whatever.

What other explanation is there...mom is passed out (or sleeping) in her bed, by her own account...and someone else put a dead body "in an area of the floor near the bed"? (same bed)

Oy... :banghead:

The search was limited in nature as indicated in the search warrant:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/baby-lisa-...ogs-misleading/story?id=14790822#.TsxOA3FGz5I

"The only areas extensively processed for DNA and fingerprints during the consent were the baby's bedroom and possible points of entry," the document states.

"The extent of the search had been limited in nature with consent" of the parents, police stated in the request for the search warrant.
If I'm understanding, I find this very hinky. Consensual search OK'd by parents, but limitted to only certain areas? Hinky to the max!

And on 2 different days. My point with this is that article is worded that it was the same day when it couldn't have been. the dog hit was what got the search warrant so it had to be on a different day.

Respectfully BBM. I don't see that. Can you point to where in the article it gives the impression that the cadaver dog hit and the 17 hour search of the home were on the same day?

Nothing definite on that.

Actually, I think that's what the parents initially said they thought had happened hence why investigators spent so much time "renacting" the perps going through the window. I remember clearly those livestreams of the detectives trying to pull themselves in and out of the window. They had a woman do it too as I recall.

:woohoo:

Respectfully BBM. I don't see that. Can you point to where in the article it gives the impression that the cadaver dog hit and the 17 hour search of the home were on the same day?

The search warrant says the cadaver dog hit Oct. 17. The detective and the judge signed the search warrant application the afternoon of Oct. 18. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 17-hour search then began late Oct. 18 or early Oct. 19 and the affadavit was revealed publicly on Oct. 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WickedDreamer83