Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say zoos need something like that to protect animals from humans. Seems are zoo enclosures are designed to give humans the experience as if they were in the enclosure. But clearly humans are not to be trusted. So zoos need barriers humans can not easily climb.

They could also require young children to be leashed at all times while on zoo property.

Let's face it, no matter what a four year old child should not be able to make their way into a gorilla enclosure, that's just crazy.

Let's face it, Mom should not have taken her eyes off her son who had just announced his intentions of going into the enclosure. She should have grabbed him by the shirt collar or whatever and left, at best. At worst, grabbed him and stayed. That she had other kids with her to tend to is irrelevant because when you plan an outing with children you should have a plan for controlling all the kids in your charge. If she can only handle one kid at a time then she should not take two with her. I don't know how many kids she had with her, total, but clearly it was more than she alone could handle.

It has been reported that the child moved very quickly once inside the barrier across a vegetated area through shrubbery, and fell before anyone could act to stop him. I do not understand how adults watched him run inside the barrier but did not enter to try to save him if the barrier is so easy for anyone to just "fall over." Also, we don't know how long it actually took him to worm his way through the initial barrier. Everyone is making it sound like he just stepped inside in the quick second that Mom was not watching. If true, then the barrier is not safe. However, I wonder about that because this is most likely not the first inattentive parent to bring a child to the zoo and with no past incidents I have to believe the barrier is safer than is being assumed here. JMO.

I wonder how many attorneys have contacted the family? While the boy wasn't hurt, I'm sure there are lawyers who can't wait to take on the case against the Cincinnati Zoo. :moo:

Here is animal experts saying gorilla was trying to protect the child (even when he was dragging him). Again, this wasn't exactly a "wild" gorilla -he was hand raised by his original zoo from the day he was born. I am convinced the gorilla was trying to protect the kid from all the screaming people-and he got killed for his efforts. Ironically, if he killed the child right away, he'd likely be alive-as there would be no need to shoot him to retrieve the child. So basically he got killed because he didn't kill the child and in fact was acting protective toward the child.

"Speaking about the video captured at the Ohio zoo, Lee Durrell said the ape was showing typical protective behaviour."

http://www.itv.com/news/channel/201...emed-to-be-protecting-child-says-lee-durrell/

I understand it does look like the gorilla was protecting the boy - and that very well could have been the case. The problem is, of course, that an animal can be impulsive and unpredictable.

I've seen reliable dogs in the park turn suddenly aggressive when confronted or threatened or startled....or for whatever reason got into their dog brain. With a dog, the owner can take control (usually) of the situation just by being bigger and close by. With a gorilla, that unpredictable behavior is waaaay too risky when a small child is in the picture.

It wasn't the actual behavior we see in the video that needed to be addressed, but the risk of dangerous behavior.

So, even if the video looks calm and safe, that could've changed in an instant without warning or time for humans to react.

And, if the gun wasn't used, how else would the situation have been resolved? From what I understand, a tranquilizer would not only take several minutes to work, but also carries the risk of agitating the animal before it falls asleep. One second of agitation by a 400-pound gorilla could kill a child.

It breaks my heart this animal was killed, but I honestly don't see any other solution, given that the child had found a way into the enclosure.

Let's face it, Mom should not have taken her eyes off her son who had just announced his intentions of going into the enclosure. She should have grabbed him by the shirt collar or whatever and left, at best. At worst, grabbed him and stayed. That she had other kids with her to tend to is irrelevant because when you plan an outing with children you should have a plan for controlling all the kids in your charge. If she can only handle one kid at a time then she should not take two with her. I don't know how many kids she had with her, total, but clearly it was more than she alone could handle.

<snipped>

From everything I've read or seen reported, the mother was the only adult in charge of four small children, including an infant that she was holding. Not enough supervision in an outdoor public environment. :moo:

But that 4 year old child did want to die? Seriously?

No, I realize that came out wrong.

What I meant to say is, anyone could see that fall was life-threatening, even a 4 year old. For some reason, this child, like a few other children, aren't afraid of clearly lethal danger.

Sadly, those kids don't usually live long healthy lives because they aren't equipped with enough fear of real danger.

My guess is, in 15 years where they do a "where are they now", this boy will no long be healthy due to a variety of injuries etc.

If the child would have been killed by the gorilla I believe it would have been euthanized. So either way the gorilla was going to pay for the incident. I do think that the zoo and the mother should share responsibility for this sad incident and tragic end for the gorilla.

If the child would have been killed by the gorilla I believe it would have been euthanized. So either way the gorilla was going to pay for the incident. I do think that the zoo and the mother should share responsibility for this sad incident and tragic end for the gorilla.

At this point, as silly as it is, i just want to hear an apology. A heartfelt apology, not something like "I'm sorry this tragedy happened".

I want to get the feeling they understand the loss their inattention, coupled with their dangerously fearless child created.

I wonder how many attorneys have contacted the family? While the boy wasn't hurt, I'm sure there are lawyers who can't wait to take on the case against the Cincinnati Zoo. :moo:

No doubt. And there are very few people who would say no if a lawyer contacted them and said "I'll work pro-bono for you. You don't have to do anything. And there's a good chance you'll get money". People love to act above lawsuits, but they would do the same if they were in the same position. For example, of all the famiies that lost loved ones on 9/11, I believe less than 10 didn't sue. Most people in this country are in debt or living paycheck to paycheck...they are not turning down some $$. People do not have as much pride as they think they do.

Also, I feel like 4 is old enough to know not to go in the gorilla exhibit. I guess it depends whether he was closer to 5 or 3. Hypothetically, if he was turning 5 before Sept/Oct, he would be in Kindergarten in the Fall. I know a lot of people are saying the kid didn't know any better, but I think if he was closer to 5...about to enter K soon...he should have known better. I guess every little kid is different.

Also, I feel like 4 is old enough to know not to go in the gorilla exhibit. I guess it depends whether he was closer to 5 or 3. Hypothetically, if he was turning 5 before Sept/Oct, he would be in Kindergarten in the Fall. I know a lot of people are saying the kid didn't know any better, but I think if he was closer to 5...about to enter K soon...he should have known better. I guess every little kid is different.

Actually they corrected his age to 3 yrs. old, can't find an updated link. It's on the moving crawl on CNN.:moo:

Actually they corrected his age to 3 yrs. old, can't find an updated link. It's on the moving crawl on CNN.:moo:

National news said age 3, my local news reporting on the incident said he was 4. Either way, he was young enough that he should have been closely watched in such an environment, especially once his mother knewof his intention to enter. If he is actually 3, that stresses even more the need for close supervision because even though most 3 year olds know what NO means, many defy it. I wonder how often this kid has been told NO only to do it anyway...I would bet this was not the first time and if not, Mom should have been prepared for defiance.

No animal enclosures should be such that a child can breach the barrier and this child did so the enclosure and others like it need to be modified. But I do not think zoos bear full responsibility when people come in and do not abide by the rules. Parents are responsible for seeing that their children abide.

Anyone with any responsibility for what happened in this incident should be held accountable and for me, that includes Mom.

RIP Harambe So sorry you died defending your domain.

Unfortunately, I agree with nbritt.... well, unfortunately because of the outcome, not the sentiments.

There were other gorillas in the enclosure that were called out and responded. This one did not. He didn't come when food was offered. The whole ordeal took ten minutes - we don't see the whole thing on video (unless I missed something) but I think the crowd was making him agitated. I see protective behavior, but also defiance(???). As in, it's mine and you can't make me give it up.

It's sad to lose such a majestic animal, but I think the right thing was done.

BBM. I agree. Harambe looked exactly like my large main dog does when she's guarding her ball or Frisbee from other dogs. "Mine! Stay away!"

No doubt. And there are very few people who would say no if a lawyer contacted them and said "I'll work pro-bono for you. You don't have to do anything. And there's a good chance you'll get money". People love to act above lawsuits, but they would do the same if they were in the same position. For example, of all the famiies that lost loved ones on 9/11, I believe less than 10 didn't sue. Most people in this country are in debt or living paycheck to paycheck...they are not turning down some $$. People do not have as much pride as they think they do.

I don't agree. I think there is no lawyer who thinks a jury will see that gorilla, and the damage done by that family, and want to give the family anything.

If the boy were harmed, there would be a tiny chance. Gorilla is dead, boy is fine, no $$.

Police weighing possible charges against the family.

Thank you.

[video=cnn;us/2016/05/30/cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-killed-jessica-schneider-lkl-es.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/us/gorilla-shot-harambe/index.html?adkey=bn[/video]

I don't agree. I think there is no lawyer who thinks a jury will see that gorilla, and the damage done by that family, and want to give the family anything.

If the boy were harmed, there would be a tiny chance. Gorilla is dead, boy is fine, no $$.
I pray that will be the case.

There are lawyers who are willing to take on any case and with something like this there could be dollar signs in their eyes. If the zoo is a pubic entity paid for through taxpayer dollars, they could just settle out of court to make a suit go away. If it is a private entity funded by donations, perhaps less chance of that type of settlement but even then, I believe some bottom feeder lawyer will try. Those bottom feeders are the ones who do things for the money or the fame rather than to stand up for what is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper