Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cincinnati gorilla shooting: Zoo was recently warned by inspectors after two POLAR BEARS escaped into cleaning corridor

Cincinnati Zoo was warned by safety inspectors just two months ago after two POLAR BEARS escaped into a cleaning corridor.

A U.S Department of Agriculture inspection in March found the bears had wandered into the hallway after staff failed to close two service doors.

The corridor housed a range of dangerous items including cleaning products, electrical switches and wires.

The bears had to be tranquilised before being returned to their enclosure.

Stop Animal Exploitation Now has now filed an official complaint with USDA.

It states that for the boy to have entered the enclosure the zoo must have been placing other children visiting at risk.

If found guilty of breaching regulations the zoo could face a $10,000 fine.

Michael Budkie, co-founder of SAEN, said: "It's clear that this enclosure is not capable of keeping a 4-year-old child out and must violate federal regulations.

"This could potentially be the zoo's third citation. This one ended up not only endangering a child but also essentially with the murder of a gorilla by gunshot."

Cincinnati gorilla shooting: Zoo was recently warned by inspectors after two POLAR BEARS escaped into cleaning corridor

Presumably all they would need to do is to make a higher fence a kid couldn't climb over. That is not a major structural change.

He climbed through the 'railings' , which to me looked like wire.

Eileen, I agree with you about a witch hunt, and many of the rumors are likely untrue. But I am so very sad about this dear irreplacable gorilla, and I'm incensed by the mother's first attempt at communications before that role was taken over by a PR firm for her. This whole thank God my baby was watched over and is okay makes me just want to cry.

I want to hear her say "i'm distraught. What have I done? How did I hear he wanted to jump into the moat and then go on with my business, and now this gorilla is dead, and my child could have been killed as well". That's what I want to see. I don't want to see family guffawing about the fact that he still hasn't learned his lesson and wants to go back, and her not expressing remorse for the great deal of pain her lack of supervision has caused.

Because at this point, I would be dissolved into a heap of tears and self-recrimination about this. That she isn't, just makes me pissed off even more.

Well said. I completely agree. Being a mother myself, I understand her relief that her son made it out okay, but the fact that she didn't express any remorse for Harambe's death- didn't even mention him really bothers me. It was almost as if she was blaming the gorilla for this tragedy. Since she's too prideful to admit her own mistake of not keeping a better eye on her son- At LEAST express how saddened you are for the gorilla. At least mention that you wish there would have been a better outcome for the beautiful animal who was innocent in all of this. It seems like she is in a bit of denial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He hasn't reproduced because he hasn't quite reached breeding maturity (that's according to the zoo's director). So he was killed before he could reproduce. I don't think it has anything to do with his upbringing.

I understand he hadn't reproduced, though the average age is 15 to 20 in male gorillas in the wild and may be earlier in captivity

Gorilla males are ready to mate when they are approximately 15 years of age. For females it is about 8 years of age. What is very interesting is that those in captivity seem to be ready to mate a couple of years earlier than those in the wild. There isn’t a mating season and they can take part in this activity any time of the year.
http://www.gorillas-world.com/gorilla-reproduction/

My point was just that it's preferable that the baby is raised by it's mother. I really don't see how that can be argued.

I understand he hadn't reproduced, though the average age is 15 to 20 in male gorillas in the wild and may be earlier in captivity

http://www.gorillas-world.com/gorilla-reproduction/

My point was just that it's preferable that the baby is raised by it's mother. I really don't see how that can be argued.

Not everybody is average. I am not arguing what is preferable or not. I have no idea why he was hand raised rather than raised by a mother. But the fact is, by all accounts, he was doing just fine with other gorillas.

Looking at the photos of Harambe breaks my heart. What a beautiful creature he was, with such soulful eyes! I am so upset that he was killed because someone couldn't control their own child. mom should be begging for forgiveness, not hiring a d@mned PR firm!!!

Not everybody is average. I am not arguing what is preferable or not. I have no idea why he was hand raised rather than raised by a mother. But the fact is, by all accounts, he was doing just fine with other gorillas.

Well, he hadn't reproduced yet, might be a concern.

I do know that many animals don't just reproduce readily - like cats and dogs do - without an elaborate community courtship ritual that requires somehow being recognized as the dominant male. Was something missing in his community that didn't allow him to think he was the leader? I don't know. I do know that when removed from the wild and bred and raised, you get animals that look like gorillas but are sometimes very lacking in actual gorilla behavior.

jenny, I really do understand that. I agree. He was doing wonderfully as far as I know. I was replying to your post about how he was hand raised and all I said was I thought it was unfortunate. I never meant to imply he wasn't doing well.

Well, he hadn't reproduced yet, might be a concern.

I do know that many animals don't just reproduce readily - like cats and dogs do - without an elaborate community courtship ritual that requires somehow being recognized as the dominant male. Was something missing in his community that didn't allow him to think he was the leader? I don't know. I do know that when removed from the wild and bred and raised, you get animals that look like gorillas but are sometimes very lacking in actual gorilla behavior.

Per the zoo director he just hasn't reached the breeding maturity yet. He was still young.

I sure wish someone would do a feature article with photos so you can SEE what the barrier looked like. I've seen a lot of family footage where the focus is on the kids, or the gorillas, of course, but you only get the briefest glimpses of the security structure.

Has anyone seen a close up of where the boy went in, and what exactly he had to go through?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/us/cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-shot/
If you read it, it states the boy climbed "through" the barrier. Would you like me to get you the pictures that have been posted on this thread also?

Thanks, but I was more looking for something from a witness who actually saw what happened. So far I have read nothing from any witness to describe how the boy got through the railing. If you have pictures of the boy climbing through the railing, I would love to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper