Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

1. A 19 year old girl was abducted from Rowe Park walking home from Claremont after a night out. She was had a bag put over her head and was forced into a van. She was then driven to Karakatta cemetary and raped. She was then left for dead inside the cemetary (somewhere near Kareela St I believe)

She never saw the guy so couldn't identify him. I assume police have the DNA.

This guy. That is some sinister stuff.

Going to a cemetery means this person is seriously even more deranged than first thought. How confident are you that it was actually the cemetery and not Hollywood Reserve which is near Kareela St? (I know it's hard to find articles/any info on this one). Did Kareela St used to back onto Hollywood (the school JR attended) ?

Some woman in BF thread once claimed to be from that school also. Might be able to answer how close it was located and if people who attended that school would be familiar enough with that area. If it's not someone who attended school near there it's someone who used to frequent the cemetery I guess... You don't just go there randomly at night unless you are comfortable with that area and being in a cemetery.

On New Year's Day 1994, a man dragged a woman from her car after she had left Club Bay View. He tried to rape her, but she fought him off. Three months earlier, a 31-year-old woman got into a taxi near the club. A man hiding in the back seat grabbed her, but she jumped from the car, breaking a leg. In February 1995, a girl, 17, was tied with an electrical cord, raped and left for dead at Karrakatta Cemetery. She had been abducted while walking home from the club. The disappearance of Sarah Spiers in the context of the previous attacks, and the fact that she would not disappear of her own accord, added a sinister dimension. But, as in all such cases, the absence of a body meant the investigation stopped short of full-scale murder hunt.

On 3 March, two months after Sarah disappeared, a 21-year-old woman was indecently assaulted in a lane behind Club Bay View, which she had left about 2am. Her head had been bashed six times against a brick wall and her skirt ripped off.

1994 New Years day attack - 1 Person

Three months earlier - Failed taxi attack. 2 people.

Feb 1995 - Girl left for dead near Karakatta. 1 person.

Jan 1996 - SS disappears

Mar 1996 - Girl assaulted, head bashed and skirt ripped off. 1 person.

June 1996 - JR

Mar 1997 - CG

These cannot all be the same person?

Crabstick waffling on about synchronicity in the other thread. Meanwhile, here's another Paul Anthony

http://www.mako.org.au/paul-anthony-clare.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...al-killer-probe/2006/04/04/1143916508116.html
UK conviction may serial killer probe

A person of interest in Perth's long-unsolved Claremont serial killings has been convicted in Britain of raping a 16-year-old girl after she left an Essex nightclub.

West Australian police today said the conviction last week of Paul Clare, 43, could provide more information for use in their investigations, including into the suspected serial killings of three women in Claremont in 1996 and 1997.

Superintendent Jeff Byleveld said Clare was a person of interest in the unsolved abductions and murders of Jane Rimmer, 23, Ciara Glennon, 27, and Sarah Spiers, 18, after they partied at nightspots in the affluent suburb of Claremont.

"He's a sexual predator and that's why he's a person of interest to us," Supt Byleveld told ABC Radio.

He said Clare, who worked as a driver in Perth in the 1980s and 1990s, was regarded as a person of interest rather than a suspect in the Claremont killings, indicating there might be no direct evidence linking him to the crimes.

But Supt Byleveld said Clare's conviction in Britain could help local police.

"What it does is it gives us an insight to some of his methods," he said.

He would not say if Clare's DNA would be sought from the UK, saying police wanted to keep such information to themselves.

"(But) anything from the United Kingdom matter that we can use now in our investigation we will most certainly do that," he said.

Clare was also a person of interest in a series of violent rapes in Perth's Kings Park over a two-year period, the officer said.

"That dates back to 1989 and 1990 and he was looked at strongly then by the investigative team of the day and those offences remain open today."

Britain's East Anglian Daily Times reported that the jury in Clare's most recent trial was told he raped the 16-year-old girl as she left an Essex nightspot in late 2004, after she rejected his offer to walk with her to keep her safe.

Following the guilty finding, the court was told Clare, who was born in the UK, was convicted of a sex-related bomb hoax in Perth in 1993.

The British court was also told that in 1992 Clare, who was charged with burglary, was found hiding in a wardrobe in a woman's house in Perth, armed with a knife and carrying a vibrator, condoms and sexual lubricants.

This guy. That is some sinister stuff.

Going to a cemetery means this person is seriously even more deranged than first thought. How confident are you that it was actually the cemetery and not Hollywood Reserve which is near Kareela St? (I know it's hard to find articles/any info on this one). Did Kareela St used to back onto Hollywood (the school JR attended) ?

Some woman in BF thread once claimed to be from that school also. Might be able to answer how close it was located and if people who attended that school would be familiar enough with that area. If it's not someone who attended school near there it's someone who used to frequent the cemetery I guess... You don't just go there randomly at night unless you are comfortable with that area and being in a cemetery.
The guy probably chose the cemetery for no other reason than it's close by and it's deserted.

Hollywood SHS was bordered by Smyth Rd, Aberdare, Kitchener and Verdun (Kareela St a few hundred meters away). The woman on BF was lying about attending HSHS. She didn't know the house names, school colors, or where the bike racks were.

Not sure where Hollywood Reserve is? I've never heard of it and can't see it on Google Maps. Are you talking about the bushed with track going through them on Kareela Rd, that's part of the cemetery?

I think it's more of an assumption I've made about where it happened because reading in DM book it says the victim saw lights from the hospital across the road. There was a retirement village across the road and next to that, on the south side of Monash Ave was some sort of old age hospital. Since SCG Hospy is down Monash further, I assumed these are the lights she saw and where she went. She could have been anywhere in the cemetery but given the information provided, the location is most likely not far from Smyth and Kareela Rds.

A lot of HSHS students would be familiar to the area. The kids who live on the other side used to ride bikes through to get to school and back (entry and Govt and Loftus gates). The kids who lived in some parts of Nedlands would have rode bikes along Dalkeith Rd and Kareela Rd. That section of cemetery there was bush and had sawdust tracks lines with timber edges through it. Secluded and I'd imagine the best place for privacy would have been near the inside edge of this bushes (if you look at Google Earth - near where those buildings are).

I remember was going to the cemetery to smoke pot as a teenager. Creepy and deserted.

On New Year's Day 1994, a man dragged a woman from her car after she had left Club Bay View. He tried to rape her, but she fought him off. Three months earlier, a 31-year-old woman got into a taxi near the club. A man hiding in the back seat grabbed her, but she jumped from the car, breaking a leg. In February 1995, a girl, 17, was tied with an electrical cord, raped and left for dead at Karrakatta Cemetery. She had been abducted while walking home from the club. The disappearance of Sarah Spiers in the context of the previous attacks, and the fact that she would not disappear of her own accord, added a sinister dimension. But, as in all such cases, the absence of a body meant the investigation stopped short of full-scale murder hunt.

On 3 March, two months after Sarah disappeared, a 21-year-old woman was indecently assaulted in a lane behind Club Bay View, which she had left about 2am. Her head had been bashed six times against a brick wall and her skirt ripped off.

You have to think some of the others are connected to each other and likely the CSK.

1994 New Years day attack - 1 Person

Three months earlier - Failed taxi attack. 2 people.

Feb 1995 - Girl left for dead near Karakatta. 1 person.

Jan 1996 - SS disappears

Mar 1996 - Girl assaulted, head bashed and skirt ripped off. 1 person.

June 1996 - JR

Mar 1997 - CG

These cannot all be the same person?
I'm super suss about the taxi thing. It was in DM's book but other than that, it doesn't appear to exist in any media. DM went to lengths to talk about The Phibenator, Droc and someone who had a theory about witchcraft and satanic rituals. She could have got this info off a bad source.

Re - Mystery Man footage.
What I would like to know is....If the task force was so keen to identify MM ( still to this day calling for him to be identified),......Why haven't they had another go at enhancing the footage?
Surely technology has advanced somewhat in seven years!

Does anyone know how old Judo was during the abductions?

What does everyone think of the new case with missing woman Robyn Santen? Car found at city beach reminds me of Julie Cutler. Now it's been discovered she went missing after a night out.

Thoughts?

- Suspect #2: a well-educated Martial Artish from a wealthy English family (who was 34 years old in 1996/1997). Worked closely with Sarah Spiers (first victim) and hat met Jane Rimmer at least once. However, he told "blatant lies" about his familiarity with these women during his police interviews. Could not provide any alibis for the nights the women were murdered. Polygraph test results were "inconclusive".

highlighted the quote

What does everyone think of the new case with missing woman Robyn Santen? Car found at city beach reminds me of Julie Cutler. Now it's been discovered she went missing after a night out.

Thoughts?

Hard to say based details I've seen. Similarities:

1. Missing woman
2. Missing after evening out
3. Same general area (idk if Leederville is considered a nice area)

The car found at the beach, was it in a parking lot?

Basically, I don't know yet. Anyone else have an opinion?

...Superintendent Jeff Byleveld said Clare was also a person of interest in a series of violent rapes in Perth's Kings Park over a two-year period, the officer said.

"That dates back to 1989 and 1990 and he was looked at strongly then by the investigative team of the day and those offences remain open today."...

RSBM. This mention of violent rapes in King's Park is interesting. Clare doesn't seem proficient. But the CSK could have committed the rapes and then moved on to become a serial killer.

Also, SS was in King's Park the day she went missing.

Thanks for that information Fence Sitter.

I did some fb stalking and here are some things I noticed. Mods, please delete if this kind of posting is not allowed or discouraged.

1. Around the time when Sunday Night aired their segment on the CSK (31/05/2015), Judoman was o/s and didn't seem to be anxious or concerned, but rather was posting Judo-related photos and seemed normal. As someone stated prior, you would expect the CSK to be anxious or not themselves if such a high profile segment was being aired. This to me points to him being innocent.

However…

2. He is very active on fb, makes plenty of comments. He seems highly regarded on fb, with plenty of people complimenting and seeming to look up to him. This to me suggests that he is social, charismatic, and enjoys the status of running (?) Judo classes at the local university.

3. He has a photo of a mutilated lamb in his pictures. Whilst in the context which it was posted was quite innocent, I personally find it a tad vulgar.

4. He likes Bentley cars. Whilst this means absolutely nothing, I thought that I would mention it as the profile of CSK is that they enjoy cars and takes care of them.

5. He has a child which I would estimate to be approx. 18-20 years old. Could this be the reason the CSK stopped?

Please delete if this is inappropriate

Simi

Can you see what he was up to August 8, 2015? I cannot get past this guy being the killer.

Thoughts?
Definitely interesting.

She last seen at a wine bar. Car was found next day near beach. Like JC, the obvious question is how did her car get there?

1. She drove there. She was a depression sufferer and walked into City Beach surf and tides took her out to sea. Unlikely on a number of accounts:
a. Tough way to commit suicide. Carbon monoxide much easier
b. She's a mother

2. She drove there to go for a swim. Drowned. Unlikely she would have gone for a swim in the middle of the night. Unlikely.

3. She parked her car there and left in the car of the guy she'd been having an affair with to start a new life. Unlikely

4. Someone else drove her car there and dumped it. Murdered her some time earlier. Possible.

5. She drove there to go to Clancy's Fish Pub. Met with foul play.

A few questions;

1. Who was she at the wine bar with? Husband? Friends? Alone?
2. What was she there for? Big night? Few drinks with work colleagues?
3. Where was the husband?

Hard to say based details I've seen. Similarities:

1. Missing woman
2. Missing after evening out
3. Same general area (idk if Leederville is considered a nice area)

The car found at the beach, was it in a parking lot?

Basically, I don't know yet. Anyone else have an opinion?

Parking lot right near a place called "Clancy's Fish Pub". This article:

http://www.mandurahmail.com.au/stor...at-city-beach-for-missing-woman/?cs=7#slide=4

http://clancysfishpub.com.au/city-beach.html

Not sure how late it's open but Robyn is 36 and that's the sort of place people her age might go for a drink.

Leederville and West Leederville are both upmarket. Not like Claremont, but still upmarket.

Crabstick waffling on about synchronicity in the other thread. Meanwhile, here's another Paul Anthony

http://www.mako.org.au/paul-anthony-clare.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...al-killer-probe/2006/04/04/1143916508116.html
UK conviction may serial killer probe

A person of interest in Perth's long-unsolved Claremont serial killings has been convicted in Britain of raping a 16-year-old girl after she left an Essex nightclub.

West Australian police today said the conviction last week of Paul Clare, 43, could provide more information for use in their investigations, including into the suspected serial killings of three women in Claremont in 1996 and 1997.

Superintendent Jeff Byleveld said Clare was a person of interest in the unsolved abductions and murders of Jane Rimmer, 23, Ciara Glennon, 27, and Sarah Spiers, 18, after they partied at nightspots in the affluent suburb of Claremont.

"He's a sexual predator and that's why he's a person of interest to us," Supt Byleveld told ABC Radio.

He said Clare, who worked as a driver in Perth in the 1980s and 1990s, was regarded as a person of interest rather than a suspect in the Claremont killings, indicating there might be no direct evidence linking him to the crimes.

But Supt Byleveld said Clare's conviction in Britain could help local police.

"What it does is it gives us an insight to some of his methods," he said.

He would not say if Clare's DNA would be sought from the UK, saying police wanted to keep such information to themselves.

"(But) anything from the United Kingdom matter that we can use now in our investigation we will most certainly do that," he said.

Clare was also a person of interest in a series of violent rapes in Perth's Kings Park over a two-year period, the officer said.

"That dates back to 1989 and 1990 and he was looked at strongly then by the investigative team of the day and those offences remain open today."

Britain's East Anglian Daily Times reported that the jury in Clare's most recent trial was told he raped the 16-year-old girl as she left an Essex nightspot in late 2004, after she rejected his offer to walk with her to keep her safe.

Following the guilty finding, the court was told Clare, who was born in the UK, was convicted of a sex-related bomb hoax in Perth in 1993.

The British court was also told that in 1992 Clare, who was charged with burglary, was found hiding in a wardrobe in a woman's house in Perth, armed with a knife and carrying a vibrator, condoms and sexual lubricants.

I read about this guy in the DM book. Apparently he was ruled out.

Parking lot right near a place called "Clancy's Fish Pub". This article:

http://www.mandurahmail.com.au/stor...at-city-beach-for-missing-woman/?cs=7#slide=4

http://clancysfishpub.com.au/city-beach.html

Not sure how late it's open but Robyn is 36 and that's the sort of place people her age might go for a drink.

Leederville and West Leederville are both upmarket. Not like Claremont, but still upmarket.

Now police have released CCTV footage of the mother-of-two at the Grapeskin Wine Bar in William Street in Northbridge on August 8, in the hope the public could assist with the investigation.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/r...issing-mum-20150819-gj2wih.html#ixzz3jLyxr7or
Follow us: @watoday on Twitter | WAtoday on Facebook

If you look at the security photo of Robyn Santen at the Grapeskin Wine Bar..in the bottom right hand corner you will see this - 08/08/2015 22: (the rest has been cropped)
Obviously it reads 8th August 2015, 10pm (plus)

Clancy's Fish Pub closes at 9pm Mon-Sat and 10pm Sun.

Clearly this means that Robyn arrived at the City Beach carpark AFTER at least 10pm (when she was seen at the Grapeskin) and when Clancy's Fish Pub was already closed for the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes