Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I tracked down most of this info from posts on BF, thanks to Barth & Billy & the other posters who included so many links.

I am convinced SR and PW are responsible for the crimes. There are just too many weird things for them to be innocent. They fit everything to a tee, in my mind. Others should reach their own opinions, but, please review the last 25ish posts and see if there is not an overwhelming argument for SR + PW's guilt.

Some posters may not have been able to access the info in the first two links I posted ^^. I don't know if this is because of security programs or other reasons. Here are the original sources:

Mendez, T (2004, September 17). Weygers and the cabbie the odd couple in Claremont inquiry. The West Australian, p. 6.

Martin, B (2004, May 17). Weygers group in sex trial warning. The West Australian, p. 1 and 8.

The West Australian has their digital records online from July 2004 to present day. However, you need to live in WA to gain a password, and I have not found another option for access. There might be many more articles and details there is someone who can figure it out.

It is sad that, despite the announcements in March 2015 by the WA police regarding 'promising leads', there has been no further news. Most likely the only way these murders will be solved is if the victims' missing jewellery is located. As has been the case for a while, I constantly change my view about the person(s) responsible from PW and SR to Judoman. In the light of recent posts, I'm probably leaning to the former again.

Guess what? I totally discount anyone, ever mentioned, or hinted at, in any comment, anywhere, as the CSK. And that includes me. How`s that for an eye opener SCS?

The Karrakatta cemetery case... Was Telstra cable involved? If so what about the Yellow/light blue intertwined Telstra rope only made for Telstra? Was that there too? Just a thought.

Guess what? I totally discount anyone, ever mentioned, or hinted at, in any comment, anywhere, as the CSK. And that includes me. How`s that for an eye opener SCS?

CSC: "Thanks for your thoughts, we'll take it on board".

Occam's Razor suggests there's a good chance the killings stopped because of police pressure. That puts LW and PW/SR combo under the gun. There's a whole heap of variables and it would be unwise to think Occam's Razor doesn't correlate to at least half of them. When you do the maths, it's likely the CSK is one of the top POIs. The chances of it being someone police don't have on their radar is pretty slim. I'd put that option in 6th spot.

The Karrakatta cemetery case... Was Telstra cable involved? If so what about the Yellow/light blue intertwined Telstra rope only made for Telstra? Was that there too? Just a thought.
I don't know but "allegedly" there was a guy who worked for Telecom who was a POI early in the piece. He had been approaching women and offering them lifts. He had access to multiple Telecom vehicles and this was never logged. He was put under surveillance and had his home searched.

You don't discount yourself from being the CSK?

Attention seeking. Pathetic.

Some posters may not have been able to access the info in the first two links I posted ^^. I don't know if this is because of security programs or other reasons. Here are the original sources:

Mendez, T (2004, September 17). Weygers and the cabbie the odd couple in Claremont inquiry. The West Australian, p. 6.

Martin, B (2004, May 17). Weygers group in sex trial warning. The West Australian, p. 1 and 8.

The West Australian has their digital records online from July 2004 to present day. However, you need to live in WA to gain a password, and I have not found another option for access. There might be many more articles and details there is someone who can figure it out.

Thanks. I checked and it's $8 for full access for 24 hours.

When I have a day off (if no one does it first) I'll do this and try and find the Sep article. The May one won't be included in the archive. It's a shame it only goes back to 2004.

Maybe should compile a list of articles/papers/dates that will need to be checked so none of 24 hour access is wasted?

A few questions:

1. Do you believe the "blitz attack" story?
2. Do you think police feed information through the press to try and influence killers' behavior?
3. What possible information could have ruled LW and PW out? Unless they have DNA, it's hard to see how the police obtained any new information that would rule them out, especially Williams.

Police have been releasing information through press for last 18 months. It seems obvious to me they are watching and waiting to see how one or more POI's respond to the media releases. There's likely to be disinformation.

In Sunday Night doco on channel 7, Paul Ferguson said he is confident there will be a breakthrough ("relationships change over time" etc).

How could he be confident this is the case if CSK is a single killer? If CSK is meticulous they obviously would not tell anyone their secret right?

His quote seems to be at odds with the latest article in the Post that says blitz attack and single person responsible.

Paraphrased:

PW tried to align CCLWA (Council for Civil Liberties Western Australia) with the national CCL body. They checked him out determined;

1) Inconsistent in findings and what they support
2) Only seem interested in supporting sex criminal such as Gary Narkle
3) He's a dodgy c-nut.

On top of that, he was representing the secretary of CCLWA on sex charges who we speculate is none other than SR.

If you check out the Gary Narkle story you will discover Narkle is a violent rapist and PW has publicly supported him.

Then there's the issue of sexual allegations against Weygers at a school he was working at, as well as his book "How to get yerself a Pino Bride for Dummys"

Pretty easy to see how he is a suspect.

First article is down the page:

From the "Macro hauls in taxi man" https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/aussiecrime/conversations/topics/34

Police produced photos Mr Ross had taken of his girlfriend in bed after she had died of an illness in the early 1990s, and also pictures of her funeral.

"They called me a sick person," he said.

Mr Ross's girlfriend, a former beauty queen, died at home while Mr Ross was at a police station being questioned by police over a fare over-charging complaint, which was later dismissed.

How did she die?? And are there pictures of her? Well, check this site:
http://www.johnm.multiline.com.au/cont14.htm

I don't think we'll ever see photos, but it does have her name: Erica Mueller.

It's got dates for articles in the west australian, but it's hard to read all the content.

"At the time, the cab driver was living with Erica Mueller, rumoured to be a former Austrian beauty queen left disfigured and housebound by injuries from an accident. "

• Weygers still under investigation. [​IMG] [​IMG]
The West Australian, Perth, W. Australia, p 14, Wednesday, August 25, 2004
PERTH, Western Australia: The career of controversial civil libertarian Peter Weygers remains in doubt, four months after he was accused of sexual harassment.
The Department of Education and Training is continuing to investigate the school psychologist, who was removed from any duties counselling children when the allegations were made at the end of April. ... [For more, click "Weygers"]
• Lead on Claremont killer sparks raid.
The West Australian, Perth, W. Australia, by Luke Morfesse, Sarah Roberts and Luke Eliot, Page One, Thursday, August 26, 2004
PERTH, W. Australia: Police raided a house linked to controversial civil libertarian Peter Weygers and a Perth taxi driver yesterday armed with new information in the Claremont serial killer case.
Macro task force detectives raided the property in Irwin Road, Embleton, about 10am and seized computers and two vehicles -- a Ford station wagon and a Toyota Hi-Lux utility.
The Ford was used as a taxi by the cabbie at the time that two of the three victims -- Sarah Spiers and Jane Rimmer -- disappeared from Claremont. In the early stages of the eight-year-old inquiry much of the focus was on the taxi industry because Ms Spiers booked a cab before she disappeared.
Ciara Glennon, the serial killer's third known victim, was last seen only a few hundred metres from where Ms Spiers disappeared, trying to hail a cab. [...]
... Det-Sgt Martin Crane ... said ... "We've seized two motor vehicles which will both be subject to forensic examination."
The West Australian understand the taxi drive sold the house to Mr Weygers several years ago but continues to live in a transportable donga at the back. Mr Weygers' partner's son lives in the main residence.
Mr Weygers was known to have successfully championed the cause of the cabbie who faced the permanent loss of his taxi licence several years ago after refusing a passenger a fare. [sic]
Mr Weygers said last night that the raid was a political exercise and police were revisiting old leads.
Sgt Crane said the raid did not involve Mr Weygers "in any shape or form".
[Television news the same evening used the name and voice of taxidriver Steven Ross, 43] [Emphasis added] [Aug 26, 2004]

• Former mayor Peter Weygers' home searched.
94.5 fm Radio, and Television Channel 7, Perth, W. Australia, Thursday, September 16, 2004
PERTH: The home of former Claremont mayor, Peter Weygers, was searched today, and a DNA sample was taken.
The police said that Mr Weygers was a person of interest in the investigations into the alleged murders of young women in the Claremont area.
It is believed that Mr Weygers, who is president of the Council for Civil Liberties in Western Australia (Inc), declined to give a DNA sample during previous investigations.
He was brought to the house in an unmarked police car, and collapsed in the garden, but later was filmed weeding. [Sep 16, 04]
• Weygers forced to give DNA.
The West Australian, "Claremont killer task force raids home of civil libertarian: Weygers forced to give DNA," http://www.thewest.com.au/20040917/news/general/tw-news-general-home-sto129358.html , by Luke Morfesse, Page One, Friday, September 17, 2004
PERTH: The hunt for the Claremont serial killer took a twist yesterday when detectives raided the home of controversial civil libertarian Peter Weygers as part of their investigation into the murders.
Mr Weygers has been identified by detectives as a person of interest. He was held in police custody for several hours yesterday and forced to give a DNA sample before watching forensic officers search his home in Richardson Avenue, Claremont.
In 1996, when he was mayor of Claremont, Mr Weygers was one of up to 100 people given 16-question surveys by Macro detectives. At the time a senior officer said the people who were asked to complete the questionnaire were possible suspects in the murders of Sarah Spiers, Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon.
Yesterday, the Department of Education and Training confirmed it was still investigating Mr Weygers, a school psychologist, over harassment allegations made in April. A spokeswoman said Mr Weygers, who was removed from duties counselling children after the allegations, was working in a "non-school setting".
Three weeks ago police raided an Embleton property owned by Mr Weygers and used by a taxi driver who claimed to have had Ms Spiers in his Ford cab the night before she disappeared.
Macro task force head Det-Sgt Martin Crane said Mr Weygers had been using the Ford station wagon, which was no longer a taxi, until several weeks ago.
"Mr Weygers is a person of interest to this investigation," he said.
"It's a murder investigation that's unsolved after eight years and we will continue to speak to people and continue to eliminate people (from the inquiry)."
But Mr Weygers claimed the raid was engineered by the State Government for political purposes.
"We've been attacking Carmen Lawrence for a long, long time. They want to discredit the Council for Civil Liberties," he said.
"This is a State decision before the election to appear tough on crime. It is the most outrageous abuse of fundamental rights."
Mr Weygers said that after he was thrust into the Macro inquiry in 1996, then assistant commissioner and now Tourism Minister Bob Kucera assured him that he was not involved in the case at all. # [Emphasis added] [Sep 17, 04]
• Weygers and the cabbie the odd couple in Claremont inquiry.
The West Australian, by Torrance Mendez, p 6, Friday, September 17, 2004
PERTH: Civil libertarian Peter Weygers and his cab driver friend are the odd couple in the Claremont serial killer investigation.
Mr Weygers has a high IQ [intelligence quotient] and is outgoing, while the 46-year-old taxi driver is comparatively dim-witted, lives for night cabbing and lacks social graces. [...]
... early 1990s when the taxi driver was in trouble over a passenger complaint.
At the time, the cab driver was living with Erica Mueller, rumoured to be a former Austrian beauty queen left disfigured and housebound by injuries from an accident.
The couple bought an investment duplex in Carlisle. The cabbie says she paid $43,000 deposit for thier shared house in Irwin Road, while he paid $20,000.
Ms Mueller died suddenly before Christmas 1990. The cabbie fell under police suspicion but the death was attributed to natural causes. He inherited her property.
He says that experience left him mistrustful of police. He told Macro detectives in 1996 he drove Ms Spiers before she disappeared. He agreed to be questioned in the presence of his lawyer.
Yet more trouble with taxi authorities followed around 2000 which eventually cost him his licence and job.
He sold the Irwin Road house for $110,000 to Mr Weygers in 2001 to help pay legal bills, hoping to share the home with Mr Weygers's partner and her son.
"But they didn't like my smell and reckoned I stunk the house out and they put me out the back," the cabbie said. "I didn't care. All I do is work and sleep. I eat the wrong food and f*rt a lot. They found out I was p*ssing in an esky instead of going to the toilet..." [Sep 17, 04]
• Missing girl's dad was phoned several times in the middle of the night.
The Weekend Australian, "Ex-mayor in calls to murdered girl's dad," by Amanda Banks, p 5, September 18-19, 2004
PERTH, W. Australia: The father of a missing Perth woman yesterday claimed a civil libertarian at the centre of a police inquiry into the Claremont serial killings had telephoned him several times in the middle of the night.
Don Spiers told The Weekend Australian that Peter Weygers had called him on numerous occasions to complain that he had been accused of killing Mr Spiers's 18-year-old daughter, Sarah.
"He has rung me in the middle of the night and said: 'I have been accused of killing your daughter'," Mr Spiers said yesterday. [...]
Mr Spiers said the calls were made in 1996, the same year Sarah went missing. Her body has never been found.
Officers investigating the disappearance of Spiers and the murder of Ciara Glennon, 27, and Jane Rimmer, 23, raided Mr Weygers's Claremont home on Thursday and forced him to provide them with a DNA sample. [...]
Council for Civil Liberties committee member Mary Connor told The Weekend Australian that Mr Weygers -- mayor of Claremont from 1985 to 1997 -- was upset and could not be contacted. ... [Sep 18-19, 04]
• Peter Weygers disappears.
Electronic news media, Sunday, September 19, 2004
PERTH: Mr Peter Weygers is reported as having disappeared. His friend (probably the cabdriver) was interviewed. The news media surmised he might have gone overseas. [Sep 19, 04]
• Weygers might be still in WA.
News media, Mon, September 20, 2004
PERTH: Mr Peter Weygers is now reported to be staying with friends in WA. [Sep 20, 04]

Maybe could get PW on here to post all his articles that he saved? He was obviously cutting them out cos he was going to try solve the case.. riiiiiiight?

Thanks. I checked and it's $8 for full access for 24 hours.

When I have a day off (if no one does it first) I'll do this and try and find the Sep article. The May one won't be included in the archive. It's a shame it only goes back to 2004.

Maybe should compile a list of articles/papers/dates that will need to be checked so none of 24 hour access is wasted?

I was hoping there would be newly discovered articles there. Maybe there is a KEYWORD search? Or is it like microfiche where you just have to read the entire newspaper?

Maybe we could try to get more info on Telecom man or some of the other obscure details if we had the original release day. I will start a list now and post it when I get a few starting places...

Is it your understanding that WA residency is required?

It is sad that, despite the announcements in March 2015 by the WA police regarding 'promising leads', there has been no further news. Most likely the only way these murders will be solved is if the victims' missing jewellery is located. As has been the case for a while, I constantly change my view about the person(s) responsible from PW and SR to Judoman. In the light of recent posts, I'm probably leaning to the former again.

Ciara's brooch was missing. And Sarah's sunflower keychain. I read Jane's watch was found near her body. Do we know any other jewelry that was missing?

I was hoping there would be newly discovered articles there. Maybe there is a KEYWORD search? Or is it like microfiche where you just have to read the entire newspaper?

Maybe we could try to get more info on Telecom man or some of the other obscure details if we had the original release day. I will start a list now and post it when I get a few starting places...

Is it your understanding that WA residency is required?

Not sure. It says

https://archive.thewest.com.au/

"You can now read The West Australian - Archive Digital Editions no matter where you are in the world.

The digital edition can be read from any location and on any computer that has an internet connection - no downloads or plugins are needed."

Doubt it would have a key word search? I think you'd just be flicking through images of the paper.

Regarding jewellery - is it definite that the killer took those things from the girls? Maybe they threw them off or something as a clue once they realised what was happening?

There have been no mentions of any other jewellery besides those things.

This page says JR has a missing belly button ring: http://aussiecriminals.com.au/the-lounge/comment-page-1/

Not sure if that is accurate though. In the CIA doco they are only appealing for sunflower key ring and brooch.

Obvi, based on my last posts I don't think the girls were taken by blitz. I think one of them, at the most, may have been (the one SR took while PW was at his event).

But aside from my belief in SR + PW I don't think they were abducted by blitz because of lack of evidence/a struggle and because of the logistics. How do you blitz someone into a car? It might be possible, but it would require two people. A van would by easier, but still difficult and would require two people.

As far as actually blitzing:

1. You hide behind something and step out with lots of force or with a weapon when they approach
2. You sneak up behind someone and place your hand over their mouth or a gun in their back
3. You rush someone from any direction and use lots of force.

My natural reaction would be to scream if I were taken by surprise. I would try to fight back, but I might be too shocked. I would do anything I could to not get in their vehicle. I would drop my purse/wallet/jewelry anything I could to leave clues. I would kick off my shoes.

One of the girls would have done one of these things had there been a blitz attack. I am going to look up what shoes they were wearing, because it can be hard to keep on heels in a struggle.

Does anyone think blitz style attacks were likely? There has to be some reason LE changed their line of thought.

I don't believe the blitz attack theory is feasible.

Though I think the SR and PW duo is probably the best lead, I think it is possible the killer was just someone acting alone. I think it is possible a single male drove around and offered lifts every so often on weekends and just got lucky, from his point of view, on the three occasions the young women went missing. I know the police called for anyone to come forward if they had ever been offered lifts from someone in Claremont, but I just don't think that is a question that would be answered, with the passage of time, with accuracy. It would be such an innocuous thing if a nice person just drove up and offered a lift and you declined. You wouldn't remember that 5 second interaction, especially if drunk, or if you did, if the person seemed nice, you would probably think, 'well, that person would not be the killer, so best report nothing'. Also, this theory probably explains the gaps in time between the abductions of the women, them being based on, as it were, luck.

Following this line of thought, I'm trying to place myself in Ciara's shoes, who worked for a top law firm, and was obviously intelligent. She apparently knew of the disappearances of Jane and Sarah. Still, if a seemingly nice person drove up and offered her a lift, would she decline because of her knowledge of previous disappearances? Hindsight's good and all, but I think if the CSK seemed genuine and offered her a lift, she would have thought, 'yes there may be a killer, but not this guy'. Humans have a tendency to think things will not happen to them. That is why I don't totally buy the argument that there is no way Ciara would have voluntarily got into a car of someone she didn't know. She may have thought, if at all, something like this will not happen to a person like me, and hopped in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper