Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this supplier commenced operating in Malaga Western Australia in 1995.

http://waropes.com.au/ropes/

http://waropes.com.au/cords/

http://waropes.com.au/twines/

LW lived in a flat on Marine Parade Cottesloe and he moved there in late 1995. I wonder if there was a 'common' clothesline area in the rear yard; many flat complexes have shared clothesline areas.

I don't consider (at the moment) that the perp responsible for Claremont murders had a connection to the Partridge screen printing company, or accessed anything from there. The Karrakatta guy obviously came prepared so he had opportunity to obtain his 'tool of trade' from somewhere else - he planned and was organized.

If the WA police in fact do have DNA match between Karrakatta victim and Ciara Glennon, then (in my mind) it would seem that he came prepared with all 'tools of trade' for the abduction and subsequent murder of Ciara Glennon.

When Morey attempted to murder the streetworker, she described that when he pulled over in Helena Valley he already had the rope twirled around his right hand and immediately began his attack on her by attempting to strangle her with the rope. He obviously came prepared and organized.

The 'lined boot man' that Bayens referred to and the one that seemed to be driving a white commodore sedan with boot entirely lined with blue plastic (according to SN re-enactment footage); this 'event' occurred a couple of years after 1996 / 1997 so if it was the Claremont perp, he has become way more cautious possibly because he became aware of DNA testing procedures.

Morey's girlfriend was linked to wedding photography and wedding arrangement services and supplies business that traded as Rochelle D'Morey for business entities Lynne R Bishop and Donald V Morey of postcode WA 6556 ABN [h=1]69 762 219 731.[/h]
The business registration was cancelled as at 1 July 2000 which is the date Goods and Services legislation kicked in.

I wonder if she was involved in screen printing invitations, balloons, serviettes, linen ie tablecloths etc (for weddings) ?

A google search for the registered business name 'rochelle d'morey' shows the business connected to 13 Northcote St Chidlow 6556.

In the Morey trial transcript (for 2003 attempted murder) it was detailed that he had a tattoo of a 'dreamcatcher' on his groin / hip area with his girlfriend's full name emblazoned.

The Post says this:

Two new clues to the Claremont serial killer have been uncovered. The man who terrorised the western suburbs in the mid- 1990s drove a white mid-1990s Holden Commodore VS Series 1, most likely a station wagon, to abduct and murder at least two of his victims. The killer also has some link to screen-printing, the manual process of printing coloured words and patterns on fabric such as T-shirts and other clothing.

"At least two victms". Does this mean they have collected car fibers from CG and JR? The article only talks about JR. Or are they just going off the fact that CG was least seen talking to the driver of a white holden commodore station wagon?

Also - not sure it matters whether it was rope or clothesline. What matters is how the screen printing material got on there. How does that happen? From hanging freshly screen printed clothes on a clothesline/rope used as clothesline? That part confuses me.

CSK must have stopped because he realised he had been spotted talking to CG. And maybe he also became aware that he could be leaving DNA on victims (he obviously was too stupid to be aware of it earlier). Sounds like he realised too late though anyway.

Methodical - no
Smart - no
Professional - no

He got spotted by witnesses. Total dunce.

BUT the 'dunce' has alluded capture hasn't he.

Whatever the case re abduction - the car fibers indicate that the white commodore was a disposal vehicle.

The article said the fibers could not come from sitting regularly in a vehicle. Which means the victims must have been driven to disposal sites while deceased/lying down.

This guy is obviously not the same IQ as Highgate boot man, because he has not used plastic lining in his boot/back of car.

So, given that he obviously doesn't care about traces of the victims being found inside the car - does this mean it is actually his car he is using?

I still can't believe he allowed himself to be spotted talking to CG on stirling highway by just randomly pulling up with no thought given to potential witnesses on a busy road. Same with SS by the sounds of it.

Highgate bootman came into Bayens' radar way after Claremont abductions and murders; so he could well be the Claremont perp who has learned about DNA testing which was in it's infancy back then.

I guess the question is...how do these clues relate to each victim.
Was washing line only used in the Karrakatta rape?
The karraktta victim believed it to be telephone/electrical cable ( both plastic coated)
and yet, as pointed out by Enzeder, police were asking Lee Partridge about rope. Was rope used on other victims?
Was the printing ink found on the rope?... or the washing line?
How did that substance get there? It's not usual to hang garments on a line in a professional setting but very possible in a domestic/hobby setting. Fabric painting was big in the 90's.
The only way that I can think of for that ink/dye/paint to be present, is if it was on the users hands and transferred that way.
Begs the question...Does it necessarily mean that the substance came from a professional printer?. Did the CSK bring the washing line with him or did he acquire it from someones yard?
So many questions...so few answers!

WA police were asking Lee Partridge about clothesline which may have been interpreted by her as meaning rope.

Snipped. This article from clearly links Ciara to a white Holden station wagon. On Aug. 30, 2008 the Post published an article titled, Murder suspect drove Holden wagon. The article describes the vehicle as white.

If this was published as the title of the article, someone must have told Bret Christian (be he the author or publisher) that with a high degree of confidence. The article does not indicate he spoke with the witnesses.

The year and style are new info. But I guess they could have fibers as well, who really knows?

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthre...y-1996-from-Claremont-Perth-Western-Australia

Text of article is at the end of the first post.

Sutton, the Post article you are referring to was published 3 days after the CIA documentary was 1st aired to newspaper reporters. I would say that Bret got that detail in the press conference held at the time of release and viewing of the CIA doc prior to it being televised to the public.

Personally, I have a very hard time buying into the Cop scenario. It just might be that I have too much respect for the job they do to believe it. I am thinking more on the line of a Ted Bundy personality type person. I still believe he is a young adult. However, instead of thinking he is a person who actually lived in town, he may have just gone to University there. This would maybe explain the sudden stop in activity on his end. Is there any way to see if these type of attacks occurred in others parts of Australia?

Operational vehicles were available to take home after the shift. Weekends included. The understanding was that if an incident was seen while the officer was in transit they would be present to deal with it. This practice was eventually done away with in the early 2000's as a cost cutting measure.

Do you remember whether the police had any unmarked panel vans?

Perhaps the secrecy was not to keep from the general public, but the rest of the police force.

Unmarked vehicles? Yes. You would see unmarked vehicles not infrequently. It cost money to mount lights, radios, and decals, so if it was for use by say the CIB, the Liquor Squad, Racing and Gaming, Forensics, or the Academy as a service vehicle they often wouldn't carry any markings at all. Prison transfer vans would also sometimes be unmarked as a security measure.

There have been some very, very, bad WA cops in the past. Very bad. There is also an extremely strong culture of self protection. They rarely rat each other out. If a cop was seen in the area by other cops he would need to give no explanation other than say that he was cruising for a bit of stray, and didn't want wifey to know, or say that he was on a job that he couldn't talk about. End of conversation.

There was another comment on here about fingerprinting/DNA testing officers. There is NO WAY the Police Union would allow that, and senior management would have a screaming fit if a finger was ever pointed inwards. If a cop ended up in court he is likely to start spilling his guts about everything he knows. That could make some very senior individuals very, very, nervous. It would never happen.

It would be too easy to carry off the snatch. A car pulls up, police hat on the seat, flash the ID, and direct the girl to get into the car to 'assist with inquires'. Late at night, drunk, dark road, you don't argue with the WAPOL. If you do argue they threaten you with 'Public Intoxication', 'Dunk and Disorderly', or any one of a number of career killers. You get in the car.

Just an FYI, Telstra vehicle decals were not able to be removed and then re-applied, and the wagons were fitted with large heavy duty roof racks. They were about as incognito as a fire truck.

90% of new Commodore sales were into fleets, and no one wanted a white one, as everyone then thought you worked for Telstra. If it was a white VS you need to look at who else drove them. Oh, here's a tip. Look at Campbell Barracks just down the road on Google Earth. See any white vehicles? If you want someone who can blend in and take out a girl with one punch, and then disappear forever, that is another likely prospect. Cops would get nowhere asking questions around there either. The military doesn't talk to cops.

Personally, I have a very hard time buying into the Cop scenario. It just might be that I have too much respect for the job they do to believe it. I am thinking more on the line of a Ted Bundy personality type person. I still believe he is a young adult. However, instead of thinking he is a person who actually lived in town, he may have just gone to University there. This would maybe explain the sudden stop in activity on his end. Is there any way to see if these type of attacks occurred in others parts of Australia?

I've thought further on the police and I think the uniform has played a part. You can't really evaluate someone when they are sitting in the car. Especially if you were considering taking an offer of a lift. You'd assess someone by what they were wearing even if they were a smooth talker. It just wouldn't be enough. But if they were wearing a uniform, you'd be able to see that from a short distance or from the other side of the car.

Also, the unmarked car is less likely to be pulled over in the ungodly hours while travelling to the disposal sites.

Another thing that I have wondered is that those witnesses who saw the cars just prior to Sarah and Ciara go missing, none of them heard or notice these cars "take off" - no sound of car accelerating suddenly or gathering speed or turning quickly etc. If they were forced in, there would be a sign of struggle and it may result in erratic driving or car would drive off (like you see in the movies!) But it sounded like these cars just casually drove away...I will need to source the witness' comments about this, as only recalling from memory.

PaperTrail,

Do you have any further information or articles regarding the "junior police officer" who was an early suspect in the serial killings. He was mentioned in the CIA documentary.

A.S.

There are 3 scenarios that are gaining momentum if you take the Police car route:

The Police Officers son using his dad's Police Vehicle to carry out the crimes (Maybe even using his dads badge etc) - This was immediately played down by the Police as misinformation. Why? Seems like a valid line of inquiry if their are Witnesses.

Highgate man/ Donald Morey cruising around in a private vehicle made to look like a Police car. He is calculated, could have learnt from previous mistakes, and has chosen an 'easy' hunting ground where there isnt the same amount of heat and his victims would get into the car willingly and easily. He uses a rope to kill making the evidence hard to obtain from a vehicle. His is able to sit in a coroners court and blatantly lie without slipping up. He is most definitely a serial killer. He was more than likely roaming Perth Streets during all the attacks. No one knows when his killing spree started, but conveniently his new easy kill spot (Which has no prior history linked to Morey) is all of a sudden the start of Moreys murder spree? Logic would suggest Morey has had to change MO after the heat was on in the Claremont area and Police surveillance was everywhere.

The Police officer using his own vehicle to encourage willing victims into the vehicle before carrying out his attack and kill. The Police have some very dark characters in the WA Police force, given the history of WA Police this definitely cannot be discredited. This could also explain the fear the victims families have of speaking up about the case. Would explain the huge delays in releasing crucial key information that the public would be able to help with. The lack of announcing the car and hushing any suggestion of Police involvement, which I beleive the original rumours even before the suggestion of Taxi was that a Police car was involved.

The Vehicle was a White Holden Commodore VS Series 1 (More than likely 'Station Wagon') That is basically a twin of a Police car. One victim was seen talking to the driver, could imply a Police uniform. The way the perpetrator carried out the 'blitz attack' is unknown. But a big powerful Police officer would be incredibly hard to stop with all their training.

just been having a yak with a screen printer she explained that ovens are used for drying but a line would be used for things like table clothes bed sheets and also roles of fabric she is of the opinion the ink would not run as it would only be damp so i think the girls were no doubt tied with line impregnated with different coloured dye also on the cop theory. if it was a cop why didnt he use hand cuffs

just been having a yak with a screen printer she explained that ovens are used for drying but a line would be used for things like table clothes bed sheets and also roles of fabric she is of the opinion the ink would not run as it would only be damp so i think the girls were no doubt tied with line impregnated with different coloured dye also on the cop theory. if it was a cop why didnt he use hand cuffs

Maybe so people didnt suspect he was a cop when the bodies were found?

Would a professional screen printer just use an oven? If you were doing it as a hobby, you might not have the equipment - assuming its a special type of oven. So maybe you'd have to hang out the fabric instead.

I think using handcuffs would be obvious as you immediately associate them with the police.

LW lived in a flat on Marine Parade Cottesloe and he moved there in late 1995. I wonder if there was a 'common' clothesline area in the rear yard; many flat complexes have shared clothesline areas.
Right now on Google there seems to be no clothesline. The common areas have been refreshed since 1996 and I seem to recall a really stark concrete car park at the back, possible raised double story car park.

I don't believe there are any. He could have changed his MO though.

Australia has population of 25m so it's not easy to be a serial killer and go undetected. There was a list of missing women on the BF thread a few people started looking for links between cases. There were some strong possibilities but none of them matched the CSK (mostly time wise from memory). Maybe someone should revisit this and check if there are some similar disappearances.

Can we conclusively rule out a photography dark room? Line would be used to hang photo prints

[/B]

Maybe so people didnt suspect he was a cop when the bodies were found?
how smart was he
i dont think this bloke was thinking that far ahead, he got spotted in his car talking to CG ,if he was mm he got spotted in the club,the karrakatta victim spotted his car and got away with vital evidence he also left dna hardly the work of a trained officer ''then again'

how smart was he
i dont think this bloke was thinking that far ahead, he got spotted in his car talking to CG ,if he was mm he got spotted in the club,the karrakatta victim spotted his car and got away with vital evidence he also left dna hardly the work of a trained officer ''then again'

Yeah, but lets be honest here. You wouldn't use cuffs if you were a Police officer because it would be far too obvious. It would also be too obvious to use cuffs if you were pretending to be a Police Officer, again you are telling the investigating officers exactly how you did the ordeal.

The other items are more careless than anything. As we have seen with Morey/highgate mans boot, the plastic lining could be because he has improved on his methods to go undetected. The serial rapist killer could have decided that it was too risky tieing his victims up with washing line / rope and bundling them into the back seat of the car. He may have seen a movie or watched a crime show and decided from now on it was plastic lining and in the boot where they cant be seen.

By having the victims bungled into the backseat and not the boot suggests that maybe he undertook the 'blitz attack' either in the vehicle , or in close proximity to the back door, and did not have time to pull over and move them into the boot.

Maybe at the time he wanted to be able to see his victim in the back seat, to make sure they couldnt untie themselves. Maybe his confidence grew a little and seeing the victim was not necessary. Maybe the other victim was thrown in a plastic lined boot, maybe thats why there are no fibres on one victims body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member