Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just found the time of arrival suss, he lobs in 96 the claremont seriaL KILLING begins hes around 6ft he has dark hair, asemi proffesional soccer player so he able to carry out blitz attacks a violent rapist who also bashed the girls he was raping and told them if they make one sound he would slit their throats. the last attempted rape he was caught in his car were he tricked her offering her a lift home
your probably right its not him but id check his wardrobe for a puffy shirt all the same

Dyers may well have been a 'copycat' in his own mind; deliberately attempting to 'connect himself to the Claremont matters. His timing was interesting.

Paper posted an article once, "Missing woman: video clue hope" from the West Australian that read Jane was "wearing a silver wristwatch."

It's in thread 2 somewhere.

Thread #2, message 936 is full jpg attachment. Watch reference in clothing description para, commences bottom of lefthand column in attached snip of my original 936 message attachment.

Attachments

• JR watch reference.PNG
    JR watch reference.PNG
    156.9 KB · Views: 71
Do you have information on the living witness project? Just out of interest.

As other posters have said, it was largely unsuccessful. Fueled by personal theories and hype, people often came forward with suspicions rather than observations. As GreenDevil has mentioned, a white Commodore wagon had been seen offering lifts in the area by more than one witness, however, the description of the driver(s) and vehicle configurations varied.

The only other significant witness consistency of suspicious people during that time is that of a collar length dark-blonde haired male. Again, witness accounts of this gentleman were very unreliable.

The information regarding the said vehicle is, I think, the most tangible and worthwhile areas of focus. Due to the commonality of the model, it would take an enormous amount of resources to eliminate, but we can positively say that the offender drove that particular vehicle at those particular times.

There seems to be a lot of members of this forum who are great researchers.

As other posters have said, it was largely unsuccessful. Fueled by personal theories and hype, people often came forward with suspicions rather than observations. As GreenDevil has mentioned, a white Commodore wagon had been seen offering lifts in the area by more than one witness, however, the description of the driver(s) and vehicle configurations varied.

The only other significant witness consistency of suspicious people during that time is that of a collar length dark-blonde haired male. Again, witness accounts of this gentleman were very unreliable.

The information regarding the said vehicle is, I think, the most tangible and worthwhile areas of focus. Due to the commonality of the model, it would take an enormous amount of resources to eliminate, but we can positively say that the offender drove that particular vehicle at those particular times.

Thanks, I had heard mention before (greendevil?) of the living witness project, but couldnt find anything about it.

Eyewitness recollections are contradictory at the best of times- asking people to remember specifics from night time observations, where alcohol may be involved- and it would get confusing really quickly.

There are a lot of great researchers on this forum! I am not one of them. One thing that I have been looking for, and apologies if it has already been posted, is a picture of the man with the blondish hair caught on camera talking to CG on the night she was abducted. If he was caught of video, then police have an image of him. Does anyone have a copy of that image?

Re Hair colour. Last week I posted my observations regarding people's perceptions of hair colour and how they would describe a particular hair colour. It would be an interesting project to conduct to find out what shade of 'blonde' would people change their description of to brown. At the same time, conducting a colour blindness test.

And again, I also wrote about the sighting of the white coloured commodore station wagon and the linking of that vehicle via forensic exhibit to JR disposal site or her body. Bret Christian detailed that the particular upholstery fabric had been linked forensically to only the particular Holden release of VS Series 1 Commodores. Current online information details that that particular series of vehicle had 2 brand names ie Calais and Berlina which were both upmarket models and I consider it more likely that Holden would fitout upmarket models with an upmarket fabric upholstery; hence the upholstery fabric being used only for a particular model of VS series 1. This leads me to consider that the witness sighting of CG talking with the occupants of the station wagon may have been just that. She may have continued her journey and another driver has stopped and he was driving either a Calais or Berlina sedan, not necessarily a station wagon.

Both the Calais and Berlina models were available in station wagon models.

I consider more information needs to be sought from the manufacturer regarding exactly which model (branded as Calais, Berlina or Commodore) VS Series 1 had what particular fabric upholstery to see if focus can be narrowed. Any volunteers ?

Thanks, I had heard mention before (greendevil?) of the living witness project, but couldnt find anything about it.

Eyewitness recollections are contradictory at the best of times- asking people to remember specifics from night time observations, where alcohol may be involved- and it would get confusing really quickly.

There are a lot of great researchers on this forum! I am not one of them. One thing that I have been looking for, and apologies if it has already been posted, is a picture of the man with the blondish hair caught on camera talking to CG on the night she was abducted. If he was caught of video, then police have an image of him. Does anyone have a copy of that image?

The image has not been released as far as I know. This is one of the reasons I posted that newspaper article that detailed CCTV footage was captured on the night CG was abducted. The newspaper report I posted on WS, had the detail and that police were trying to identify to guy.

Re Hair colour. Last week I posted my observations regarding people's perceptions of hair colour and how they would describe a particular hair colour. It would be an interesting project to conduct to find out what shade of 'blonde' would people change their description of to brown. At the same time, conducting a colour blindness test.

And again, I also wrote about the sighting of the white coloured commodore station wagon and the linking of that vehicle via forensic exhibit to JR disposal site or her body. Bret Christian detailed that the particular upholstery fabric had been linked forensically to only the particular Holden release of VS Series 1 Commodores. Current online information details that that particular series of vehicle had 2 brand names ie Calais and Berlina which were both upmarket models and I consider it more likely that Holden would fitout upmarket models with an upmarket fabric upholstery; hence the upholstery fabric being used only for a particular model of VS series 1. This leads me to consider that the witness sighting of CG talking with the occupants of the station wagon may have been just that. She may have continued her journey and another driver has stopped and he was driving either a Calais or Berlina sedan, not necessarily a station wagon.

Both the Calais and Berlina models were available in station wagon models.

I consider more information needs to be sought from the manufacturer regarding exactly which model (branded as Calais, Berlina or Commodore) VS Series 1 had what particular fabric upholstery to see if focus can be narrowed. Any volunteers ?

Great work to all in this thread. Interesting to note that Toyota Lexcens were just rebranded Commodores during this time as well. A part of a govt initiative for the car industry to combine resources back then. If google, and image the lexcen and see the resemblance.

May I point out that whatever vehicle was seen parked up next to CG on the morning of March 15, would most likely have had centrally controlled electric windows. It's improbable that the offender would be leaning across to wind down the window manually. The Executive's rather wide breadth would have made it uncomfortable.

There's a query for the manufacturer.

No electric windows cause I nearly bought a VS at an Auction @ that time. It was a white ex Telstra.

May I point out that whatever vehicle was seen parked up next to CG on the morning of March 15, would most likely have had centrally controlled electric windows. It's improbable that the offender would be leaning across to wind down the window manually. The Executive's rather wide breadth would have made it uncomfortable.

There's a query for the manufacturer.

From what I am reading the Berlina and Calais and maybe Lexens had auto windows. If it was a model with manual windows, perp may have pre-wound down the passenger window.

The Berlina version of the VS commodore series 1 did have power windows. It also had velour upholstery.

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=review&make=Holden&model=Commodore&gen=332

Brilliantly well done you ! :happydance:

Velour is definitely a different upholstery fabric used back in 1995 Holden. I would say velour is more likely to be the upholstery fibres that turned up on JR's (50) forensic tapes and it seems that Berlina was the only model that was fitted out with velour. It was also the only model fitted with a 'trip computer' -- that would have come in handy with this perp.

Now the question is, who would want to drive a vehicle with velour upholstery and a trip meter? To me that would be someone in business of some sort and I don't consider it is going to be a 'manual labour' type business; more professionally based. Trip computers would be used to accurately log mileage for tax refund purposes.

I wonder if the central locking in the Berlina would allow a passenger to unlock. From memory there were a couple of Holden models where the driver controlled the locking mechanism and that mechanism could 'permanently' lock all other doors and they couldn't be opened unless the driver unlocked them. This anomaly was fixed due to complaints but I cannot recall which model it was.

The below links will take you to actual photos of Berlina 1995 series 1 model with inside photos of vehicle. Seating upholstery consisted of velour outer seat trimming, with a different fabric on bum-on-seat location. Fabric colour described as 'grey'.
http://www.mynextcar.com.au/new-or-used-cars-for-sale-australia/1995-holden-berlina-vs-for-sale-melbourne/

I have attached a series of snips of the photographs of vehicle in above snip; just in case the link gets taken down by the 2nd hand vehicle seller. Great photos.

May I suggest you shoot this link through to Bret Christian because if he can get this info out there, it might just prompt a reaction; someone might recall (unusual) velour upholstery and vehicle by interior look.

5 photos attached, 5 more in next message.

Attachments

• front on view.PNG
    front on view.PNG
    905.6 KB · Views: 10
  • front view from front of driver side.PNG
    front view from front of driver side.PNG
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 10
  • full side view driver side good view of whell trims dont know if they are original.PNG
    full side view driver side good view of whell trims dont know if they are original.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • internal front seating view taken from driver side shows upholstery and velour fabric.PNG
    internal front seating view taken from driver side shows upholstery and velour fabric.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • internal front seats taken from passenger side wide centre consol.PNG
    internal front seats taken from passenger side wide centre consol.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 12
4 extra photos

Huge rear storage area. Very roomy vehicle; may have been another perp hiding behind driver's seat !

Attachments

• mainly internal rear view from driver side.jpg
    mainly internal rear view from driver side.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 10
  • rear seat front seat and interior great view of upholstery.jpg
    rear seat front seat and interior great view of upholstery.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 12
  • side on front view are these original wheel trims.PNG
    side on front view are these original wheel trims.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • view through vehicle from rear with rear upswing door open.PNG
    view through vehicle from rear with rear upswing door open.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Hope you don't mind me doing this Mel, I've snipped the article you found and attached here just in case the owner of the external link takes it down one day.

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=review&make=Holden&model=Commodore&gen=332
attachment.php

Attachments

• specs with velour trim mentioned.jpg
    specs with velour trim mentioned.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 156
Very interesting.

Are there any ways of gaining aerial images of Claremont and the surrounding areas during that period? It may sound far-fetched, but there is compelling circumstantial evidence suggesting the offender resided close to the Claremont area during the period. Spotting that vehicle in a front yard or carport may lead to a further line of investigations (especially if it is accompanied by a light coloured van).

Very interesting.

Are there any ways of gaining aerial images of Claremont and the surrounding areas during that period? It may sound far-fetched, but there is compelling circumstantial evidence suggesting the offender resided close to the Claremont area during the period. Spotting that vehicle in a front yard or carport may lead to a further line of investigations (especially if it is accompanied by a light coloured van).

The only publicly accessible aerial photograph supplier that I know is LANDGATE but the one they have with 'free access' online is dated 6/2/1995 which is before release date of the Berlina and the next date is 2000. I have made inquiries with them, and they want to charge $89 to search for dates of other aerial photographs -- there are aerial photographs captured on a yearly (or less) basis but Landgate are a greedy mob, then they want to slug me another $125 for each actual aerial photograph which is supplied on CD.

Bret would get access with his nice fat wallet.

I wonder if WA police actually realize they should be searching for a Berlina, not just straight out Holden Commodore station wagons ! If they knew about the Berlina being the only 1995 release vehicle with velour upholstery fabric, I think Bret would have mentioned it in his article; he has not, and that needs correcting in my view. I am sure he would run with a story showing more photos.

Very interesting.

Councils may have aerial photographs; Claremont, although they did have the fire which destroyed a lot of records, Cottesloe, Mosman Park, Nedlands, Peppermint Grove, Subiaco, and I do know Westrail (WA railway authority) take aerial photographs of their train lines.

I've included all the above councils even though they are not 'claremont' because oftentimes aerial photographs capture wider views and also the perps may have live within the boundaries of these areas.

the problem you'll have with aerial photographs, is images are grainy, images are captured in daylight; therefore perp may be in another location. vehicles could be housed in garages and carports and not captured. aerial images are normally captured (in the 1990s) Monday to Friday.

Hi all. Long time lurker here, I have read through the BF thread and also all 3 here on WS. I have always been intrigued with this case, I was 16/17 at the time and about to venture into the nightlife in Perth. Being male, it didn't change the way I behaved but seeing the Jill Meagher murder a few years ago reminded me of this time in Perth when it was gripped by fear. Shocked and saddened that the SK hasn't been bought to justice and is still on the loose, it has almost been forgotten.
Anyway I just wanted to throw my 2c in for discussion.
1) I know a lot is being centred around the Conti but I recall back in the day, all the talk was around Club Bayview. The Conti was perhaps the last place they were seen but I'm almost certain back in 96-97 all the fuss was about CBV being the place where it happened. In 98 when I was of legal age to hit the nightspots, some would joke to the females in our group (hope nobody takes offence, just stupid jokes that young people make) that we should go to CBV, to spook them. Has the focus changed gradually over time, rightly or wrongly?
2) There has been some discussion around the activites that the SK participated in which allow him to be famililar with the 2 disposal sites. I'm not sure a SK fits the image of riding dirt bikes through bushes. I was thinking, could it be something a bit more sophisticated, like picking wild flowers? I think one of our POIs has shown he has an interest in gardening and the lady was picking flowers when she discovered JR's body.
3) Another alternative is that the SK is interested in car racing which fits in with the car enthusiast profile. The 2 disposal sites, I notice they are close to the 2 raceways in Perth. Wanneroo Raceway in the north and Kwinana Motorplex in the south. Not sure how these link in, but it's just something I noticed.
4) The Karrakatta link has popped up from time to time, someone who is familiar with the cemetary. I don't know how this would link in, but when I read DMs book, I do recall the story of Romuald Zak who visited CGs grave daily after she was buried there. Apparently he worked with CG and died suspiciously. Could he be related somehow?
5) One thing that has always stood out for me is that the 3 girls were all single and broke away from their group to go solo at some point in the night which makes me think a male love interest is involved (nothing new here). Most girls would be quite giddy and find it hard to keep from friends if they had just met a guy, so could it be that he was married and therefore a secret? Either way my suspicions are that the CSK is a good looking, charismatic male. Again, probably nothing groundbreaking here.

That's all I have to add. I'll go back to lurking now ;) Keep it up everyone, there's some great stuff in this thread. Praying for justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966