Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my point is being missed here. I am not saying that in every case a log would be made of why he called or anything like that, but I do 100% believe that if ANY bank employee was looking at ANY bank account that it would be logged by the bank's own system. Even if he was inquiring about a cheque on his own account, the employee would have had to have looked it up. I just do not imagine a bank not having this system, otherwise they could look at whoever's account whenever they wanted. JMO
What if it was all automated ?

Imes actually asked the Judge about his "stumble" (not saying the child's name) & the Judge explained that he didn't see the child's name on the possible verdict form. So, IMHO it was an error on the verdict forms that threw the Judge. See the video at approx 1:44:15

I thought it appeared that he was reading from something & it was either left out or a mistake ( as in ,he could see a mistake & didn’t want to read it into the record) .
If anyone thinks JS has not been paying attn I suggest looking back at the amazing list he went through when denying the defense a directed verdict after the prosecution rested.

Prosecution nailed it in my view when they reminded the jury of Chase and Cathy's jailhouse conversation. How can anyone overlook the fact that they were still trying to work out an alibi for him during trial, and she didn't know where they were on the 4th?

I still use them for my bank in California! LOL!

That is correct - you can click on the check # - and it will show front and back of the check.

IMO the puzzle for Joey was that the cheque number was not in his QB records.

I suspect he already knew the payee was Chase from his banking records. (If not, one call resolved it)

Chase no doubt came up with some BS about all of this - we will never know what.

The Joe gets home and finds out the cheque blank is gone from his office ... along with many others.

That is when stuff went down.

Prosecution nailed it in my view when they reminded the jury of Chase and Cathy's jailhouse conversation. How can anyone overlook the fact that they were still trying to work out an alibi for him during trial, and she didn't know where they were on the 4th?

Exactly

Which is why "the defence doesn't have to provide an alibi" is so much hot trash in a case where the defendant already gave positive alibi interviews to LE

All of that, plus they fabricated the reason the cheques were backdated. Those small details of TRUTH (which is constant) and REASONABLE don't appear in the defense case, or appear to be a priority to anyone cheerleading for them.

How about the cheque on the 2nd being printed and then cashed several hours after CM swung by the house to get his $100 handwritten cheque. On cheque stock that most obviously was stolen. A point well made by McGee was that the box of cheques was not sitting out on the chair. It makes more sense that CM left the box in the cupboard after he'd had his stealing mitts in it, so Joey wouldn't notice. He kept on making points for the prosecution right up to closings.

Plus Joey creating a cheque at 8 pm on the 4th that he'd already instructed CM that day to create himself, and sending a cheque alignment page to print. And taking the deposit and final balance within days of each other. Why? Because he knew Joey was dead and would not be around to point out the anomaly.

So many obvious lies.

Yes.

And when a version is based on lies, the correct approach is to place said version in the trash, except where corroborated by verifiable facts.

the Jury should not put itself in the business of fixing up the defendants story via speculation from counsel

IMO the puzzle for Joey was that the cheque number was not in his QB records.

I suspect he already knew the payee was Chase from his banking records. (If not, one call resolved it)

Chase no doubt came up with some BS about all of this - we will never know what.

The Joe gets home and finds out the cheque blank is gone from his office ... along with many others.

That is when stuff went down.
He might have even tried to pass it off as the cheque that Joey gave him for $100 being debited for the wrong amount by the bank. These cheques are not machine read, it is human input. The cheque for $100 was deposited on the 3rd through the clearing system of a different bank, and wouldn't have come out of Joey's bank until the 5th.

He might have even tried to pass it off as the cheque that Joey gave him for $100 being debited for the wrong amount by the bank. These cheques are not machine read, it is human input. The cheque for $100 was deposited on the 3rd through the clearing system of a different bank, and wouldn't have come out of Joey's bank until the 5th.

Yep - I am sure he came up with some absurd lies. My personal guess is that he had some sob story about needing a couple of thousand in a hurry and was too embarrassed to ask Joe.

of course when Joe discovered lots of missing blanks the jig was up

@Tortoise

Some things that are really sticking in my head are the dogs, and the wedding dress box.

I think he trashed that room to cover what he had taken.

IMO that is also why the futon covers are off the futon and in the wash (rather than in the graves)

He has told us all along, how he did this.

e.g. where the tie down straps came from

Yep - I am sure he came up with some absurd lies. My personal guess is that he had some sob story about needing a couple of thousand in a hurry and was too embarrassed to ask Joe.

of course when Joe discovered lots of missing blanks the jig was up
The thing is it was a relatively small amount to steal and I'm not sure Joey would have told anyone about it, thinking he could handle it himself and not wanting to infuriate Summer anymore than she already was, particularly given her stress levels that week. I think it was carefully contrived by Merritt to be an amount that Joey wouldn't start calling people for advice, or immediately report to the police.

Boy - you all were quite busy last night....

Can you send that transcript somehow to me? What is different from what you have & what I have listed. I can always correct my stuff.

Oh please don't - a "tag" is just fine! But thank you for the offer anyway! :)

RSBM

here is a link to the preliminary hearing transcript: State of California VS Charles Ray Merritt: Part One - Transcript of Charles Merritt Preliminary

It doesn't have the phone logs, it's just a transcript of the proceedings. I see you found the link that bessie posted years ago, it was in 2013, I just don't know where it originated from? Maybe Patrick?

For you and for anyone else that might be interested, if you are on twitter, Law and Crime has a twitter account specifically for verdicts. Verdict (@LawCrimeVerdict) | Twitter If you follow that twitter page and then go into the settings for that page and click "Turn on mobile notifications" you should get a notification on your phone (providing you have twitter set up on your phone lol) They ONLY tweet verdicts on that account!

Do deliberations continue today?

Imo the real deal breaker is who were the cheques addressed to? None other than CM.

Who had been writing cheques to himself with Joey’s money? Again CM.

Who didn’t attempt to search for their missing ‘best friend’, who was not missing alone but with his wife and 2 young children? Again, CM.

Who strongly disliked Summer and was likely jealous of Joey’s lifestyle. A case of ‘he can have all this, then so can I? Charles Merritt.

Who’s phone pinged at the gravesite? Along with a basically non existent alibi?
Charles Merritt.

I could go on but we have already heard all the evidence. It’s in the jury’s hands now all we can do is hope they see the facts and give the Mcstay family justice.

What if it was all automated ?

He actually made 2 calls on the 4th, the first one was to the general bank number. The 2nd one was to the bank but a direct number. First one was 8090 (which is the bank number), the 2nd was 8092, which is usually a direct number to someone within the bank, at least that is how it works where I am.

Do deliberations continue today?

Imo the real deal breaker is who were the cheques addressed to? None other than CM.

Who had been writing cheques to himself with Joey’s money? Again CM.

Who didn’t attempt to search for their missing ‘best friend’, who was not missing alone but with his wife and 2 young children? Again, CM.

Who strongly disliked Summer and was likely jealous of Joey’s lifestyle. A case of ‘he can have all this, then so can I? Charles Merritt.

Who’s phone pinged at the gravesite? Along with a basically non existent alibi?
Charles Merritt.

I could go on but we have already heard all the evidence. It’s in the jury’s hands now all we can do is hope they see the facts and give the Mcstay family justice.

They are continuing today, we are a bit unclear about what time because it was mentioned that they might be starting a bit later today, IIRC 10-10:30. I'm sure someone will be keeping an eye on twitter, I hope there is someone there 'watching' lol

Exactly

Which is why "the defence doesn't have to provide an alibi" is so much hot trash in a case where the defendant already gave positive alibi interviews to LE

Ita. This DT used the affirmative defense, imo, by telling this jury what they were going to prove to them.

Which the DT failed miserably doing on every level.

They made promises they already knew in advance they couldn't produce.

Imo the DT built their entire case around cards of lies, and unbelievable illogical asumptions.

Jmo

Last edited:
Ita. This DT used the affirmative defense, imo, by telling this jury what they were going to prove to them.

Which the DT failed miserably doing on every level.

They made promises they alteady knew in advance they couldn't produce.

Imo the DT built their entire case around cards of lies, and unbelievable illogical asumptions.

Jmo

Yes

I am old fashioned about this. When one team of counsel fails to come up to brief, then i throw their version in the dustbin except where corroborated

IMO the starting point for deliberations is Chase has no alibi, and no non-criminal explanation for the cheques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay