Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since everyone stipulated to jury questions/read backs/etc. being handled in the jury room, I have to wonder if some of what looks like shortened deliberations is because the jury is waiting on the court.

Let's say they want a read back and judge tells them it'll take the CR some time to get that together, it's getting close to lunch and it won't be ready till 2:00 so they take extra time at lunch knowing they won't deliberate till they get whatever it was they asked for.

Nothing moves very swiftly in that courtroom, so it could be waiting on the answer/read back/whatever.

I've been giving it some thought and wondering what kind of jobs these people have that are accommodating a 6 month leave of absence. The thought crossed my mind that they probably work for a company who is still giving them regular pay, or possibly unemployed. Either way the remaining jurors don't seem to be in a rush whatsoever. Maybe they are taking their time because they enjoy being on the jury and aren't ready to return to work. I could see them setting a deadline for the verdict as of this morning or tomorrow morning just because it would finish out the week for them before going back to real life.

Retired, government and unemployed. Three choices.

I wonder if the delay was for handing the affidavits in to the judge and any discussion that might have entailed.

I doubt it because the jurors have nothing to do with any hearings, especially one's that don't pertain to them. And I really don't think that there was or is a hearing, it's just written submissions to the judge that were due today. I also think we would hear about it somehow if there was a hearing like we did Monday morning.

I think they just decided that they were starting around this time and maybe didn't inform anyone else.

JMO

Wonder how long deliberations will last today.. IMO they should be averaging at least 8 hours a day. I’ve known juries stay through the night during murder trial deliberations. Imagine if us from WS were on the jury, we’d be demanding we stay late. I know it’s probably inconvenient to them being on a jury but to me it would be an honour and it would be taken very seriously.
I’d take my slippers, order pizza and talk way into the night, I’d be excited to get back to deliberating each day.
These jurors seem almost bored of the whole situation, I know it’s dragged on for 5 months but let’s not forget this is about the Mcstay’s getting justice.

Most court days are about six hours. Check in at 8:30 or 8:45. Real work from 9-12 and 1:30- 4:00 or 4:30.

I know some juries insist on deliberating for long hours past that but some don't. At least in civil cases I've seen and more minor criminal cases.

Okay...left early yesterday, started late today...if we don't have a verdict this morning, I'm officially worried.
I'm not worried, I'm PIZZED! I've been trying to cut them some slack and give them the benefit of doubt but this is getting ridiculous. Right now they have one job and one job only and they need to take it very seriously. Smh

This really feels wrong. Something feels off. Maybe it is just too contentious in there, which is why they are leaving early, taking long lunches and starting late. Something smells off to me.

Yeah, I am ok with cutting them a bit of slack because of the way the trial was run... but now we are day 5 of deliberations and it's "feels" like they aren't taking it seriously ... or something. They are deciding whether someone is guilty or not guilty of 1st degree murder of a family of 4, get your a$$ to the courthouse and deliberate, every day, all day, until you reach a decision.

Unfortunately, it's creating an atmosphere, at least from what I am observing, that a verdict or hung jury will be looked at like they didn't take it seriously. Although, I have my doubts that if it comes back as guilty that many of those that are complaining now would still complain LOL JMO

Most court days are about six hours. 9-12 and 1:30- 4:00 or 4:30.

I know some juries insist on deliberating for long hours past that but some don't. At least in civil cases I've seen and more minor criminal cases.
I had posted before they may not be able to work past certain hours due to the other staff that would be required to remain at the courthouse, however, I am 100% certain they can stay until at least 4:30.

It's probably not the jurors fault for delays in starting. Jurors wait till they're called, then led into the jury room. They're told when to take lunch and when to return from lunch. Then it starts all over again. They wait till called, then led into the jury room. Such is a jurors life.

I want to tell you once again how appreciative I am to see you are keeping up with this trial. You have been a huge asset for us all..like always. :)

Perhaps in CA, although I can't remember any CA death penalty case at the moment where the jury did not use all available time afforded to them.

I do know in my home state of Georgia the jury would have deliberated at least 35 to 40 hours by now or more.

I have followed several death penalty trials in Georgia. The juries select to deliberate long hours each and every day. They take full advantage of the judges telling them they can deliberate as many hours a day as they want...often working late into the night. I have also seen some GA. jurors coming in on Saturday's putting in another full day if necessary. A few I've followed even came in on Sundays after church if all jurors agreed.

So all of this lack of deliberations being done by these CA Merritt jurors is something I've never seen before.

Of course death penalty cases held in any other state does not take months, and months either for even the guilt phase to be over. Imo.

That includes even high profile death penalty cases where the guilt phase, and sentencing phase (if the defendant is convicted) is completely over with from 2 or 3 weeks for non high profile cases to an average of 4 to 8 weeks maximum for high profile cases.

JMHOO

Yeah it's weird. Most are eager to go home. But they seem to be mirroring. The super relaxed scheduling of the court in this case.

I don't know why. Maybe to accommodate certain jurors so that they don't have to keep using alternates, for fear that if they don't accommodate those jurors they will run out of minutes and there will be a mistrial?

It's probably not the jurors fault for delays in starting. Jurors wait till they're called, then led into the jury room. They're told when to take lunch and when to return from lunch. Then it starts all over again. They wait till called, then led into the jury room. Such is a jurors life.

I don't think that is the case here. The judge told them they can pretty much decide on their own, within reason. And this morning, there was only 1 juror there at 9am according to a tweet.

If the jurors aren't arriving to the courtroom doors until 9:30 or so that makes me think they're running the show and not the bailiff.

Yeah it's weird. Most are eager to go home. But they seem to be mirroring. The super relaxed scheduling of the court in this case.

I don't know why. Maybe to accommodate certain jurors so that they don't have to keep using alternates, for fear that if they don't accommodate those jurors they will run out of minutes and there will be a mistrial?
I know the judge was trying to be extremely accommodating with the football coach so they wouldn't have to use an alternate.

Since everyone stipulated to jury questions/read backs/etc. being handled in the jury room, I have to wonder if some of what looks like shortened deliberations is because the jury is waiting on the court.

Let's say they want a read back and judge tells them it'll take the CR some time to get that together, it's getting close to lunch and it won't be ready till 2:00 so they take extra time at lunch knowing they won't deliberate till they get whatever it was they asked for.

Nothing moves very swiftly in that courtroom, so it could be waiting on the answer/read back/whatever.
It’s possible that’s part of it but can’t explain the entire week . They were given the case Thurs , a week ago.
There aren’t enough excuses to explain the lack of deliberating , IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel