Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this trial has been very fair to the defendent. I am not sure what grievances the defendent or his attorneys can claim. Anyone? Most of the delays were to accomodate the jurors and the defense.
The defense was also allowed to present wild theories including the whole DK debacle.

IMO MOO etc etc

I think Chase has been given a very fair trial.

Ita!

Imo, more than fair. JS has bent over backwards for the DT even allowing them to claim many things the DT already knew they could not produce.

If anyone has had an unfair trial it's the state.

Its suppose to be a fair trial for both sides, and not just one sided for the defense. Some tend to forget that.

Imo

IMO, this trial has been very fair to the defendent. I am not sure what grievances the defendent or his attorneys can claim. Anyone? Most of the delays were to accomodate the jurors and the defense.
The defense was also allowed to present wild theories including the whole DK debacle.

IMO MOO etc etc
Totally agree. Double like.

Ita!

Imo, more than fair. JS has bent over backwards for the DT even allowing them to claim many things the DT already knew they could not produce.

If anyone has had an unfair trial it's the state.

Its suppose to be a fair trial for both sides, and not just one sided for the defense. Some tend to forget that.

Imo
ITA. And when it's the state getting an unfair trial that means the victims, if he's guilty.

I don't think we will be able to forget. I think we will be hearing about it in the appeals for years to come.

It is very unsettling. I mean I understand leaving when you've reached a good stopping point. But I can't imagine it deliberating through lunch or taking a shorter lunch. Then again I am used to 30 minute lunches and no breaks during trial.

I know I'd certainly want one! But no. Not allowed.

This is a huge thing for me, defending your vote. I feel like if you can send a man to prison for life you should absolutely be willing to explain your reasoning.

When jurors don't want to talk after a verdict, I wonder if that means they aren't certain about it. (Not to the media, to investigators.)

I've wondered if that shouldn't be part of the requirement for jury service. A 10 question survey after the trial? Something like that.

It's something that could really be useful to the justice system. Understanding how to do jury instructions and where things can be clarified.

This is what I'm worried about. That nobody is taking this seriously. This is a capital murder case. Not a shoplifting trial. I've seriously seen misdemeanor cases handled more professionally.

Yes and that one juror just didn't follow the pack. Very possible. However it bothers me anyway, this is serious. Did a false accusation case once. The accuser left court laughing when the jury went to deliberate, as the defendants children walked in crying. It made me sick.

I just wish someone would take this seriously. That's all.

I disagree with having a 10-question survey after a trial. I was on a trial. This was way way before I joined here.

I was very ignorant and did not know the repercussions, even though it was a very small case here, of sending a note to the judge asking him a question and that the question would be known by everybody! I thought it was very private at that time when I was decades younger.

I understand lawyers wanting feedback, but after my note the two parties settled (I know that's not the correct wordage, but that is what the judge said when he released us) and when we walked out to the elevators, and found the defense team was just standing there , and I just wanted to run and hide.

Bottom line, Having a jury survey May overturn convictions in my opinion.

I have a feeling these days, I would never get through voir dire LOL

Seriously? A break after 2 hrs 12 minutes? This is getting more ridiculous by the second, don’t the jury usually have lunch brought to them? They don’t have to actually go to lunch and abandon deliberations...

I disagree with having a 10-question survey after a trial. I was on a trial. This was way way before I joined here.

I was very ignorant and did not know the repercussions, even though it was a very small case here, of sending a note to the judge asking him a question and that the question would be known by everybody! I thought it was very private at that time when I was decades younger.

I understand lawyers wanting feedback, but after my note the two parties settled (I know that's not the correct wordage, but that is what the judge said when he released us) and when we walked out to the elevators, and found the defense team was just standing there , and I just wanted to run and hide.

Bottom line, Having a jury survey May overturn convictions in my opinion.

I have a feeling these days, I would never get through voir dire LOL

I agree. Any sort of mandatory jury questionnaire would raise huge appeal issues.

MOO

Maybe they've reached a verdict, and now the judge is notifying family so they can head over to the courthouse. Or maybe it will still drag on through the end of this week.

Okay I'm going to try and believe that the schedule is due to jurors schedules. I am okay with that scenario.

I have zero opinion on Chase's guilt or innocence.

I do have a very strong opinion about justice. I wanted Chase to get a professional, fair trial. I don't feel like he got that at all.

I want a hung jury because I don't feel this trial was fair. I don't want him acquitted OR convicted by this jury.

Though I can see panicking if you fully believe he's guilty, at the thought of an acquittal. Couldn't blame them at all for that, I would be too. This isn't like Caylee, this was an entire family beaten to death. The person who did it is a danger to society.
There’s no way I can now be pursueded the paltry time spent deliberating is because of the jurors schedules . They go on pretty long lunches , regularly . They could have lunch brought in , even if they chose not to deliberate while eating. It would save a lot of time .
This is starting to smell rotten , IMO.
Wonder if the Prosecution has tried to get JS to set some stronger perameters ?

They seem to be there for the jollies IMO.

Well, they’ve been conditioned for five months to think of this as a part-time job. Maybe it’s good that they aren’t showing signs of impatience. I don’t want them to rush a verdict, just to be done with it.

(In the poll—I voted for 26 to 32 hours of deliberation. I’m good well into next week before I’ll start fidgeting.)

Well, they’ve been conditioned for five months to think of this as a part-time job. Maybe it’s good that they aren’t showing signs of impatience.

I personally find their attitude disgusting and they should try and put themselves in the shoes of the family.

Instead of long lunches, late starts and early finishes. This isn’t a holiday camp.

At least If it’s a hung jury I won’t be upset as I’m expecting the worse with the way this jury is behaving.

Anyone know if we get the same judge in the event of a hung jury? I think he is retiring? And, apparently we would be stuck with Maline and McGee? Just doesn't seem right to me to force M&M to do the retrial. I think they are working pro-bono or just collecting the court appointed lawyer fee.

I feel like we should be grateful they were able to come up with a jury and alternates. I read somewhere a while back that San Bernardino county was having a difficult time finding people who would show up after receiving a notice for jury duty. Maybe things have changed since I read that but that's what was said some years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot