Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, jury started at @8:40 a.m. today, reached a verdict, filled out paperwork and left @9:40 a.m.

seems to me, jury could have added an hour to their work day yesterday to accomplish same result, then read verdict today. This is very unusual.

I was out... the twitter alert worked from L&C lol heart stopped when I got the alert for Delgado haha Then got the McStay verdict one.... told my mom I had to go home and complain on my computer that they are waiting until Monday!!! Seriously??? Monday?!!?

I'm not sure what to think, I'm a bit surprised that they came to an agreement... guilty? not guilty? Does the judge get to read the verdict now? or does he have to wait until Monday morning as well?
If it is guilty everything is owed to Mr outstanding rebuttal. She broke it down in such a way that was truly amazing to watch. She cut through the BS and mountains of evidence and narrowed it down to the key facts of the case, then reminded them not to get caught in the weeds or over speculate about anything. Occams razor references simplified everything

I think that the polling has to be a last chance for the jury members to change their mind—even if it is mainly ceremonial.

@gitana—can you answer that question too? :)

The polling is to make sure that the vote they cast was that vote. It's also helpful in civil cases for attorneys who try hard to predict who will be a good juror during voir dire, and this they match the jurors votes with how the attorneys predicted the juror would find.

In the one and only jury case I actually litigated (family law is bench trials. Except this weird one), my law partner came to help during voir dire. He does criminal so he's very familiar with the process.

Lead counsel was a big shot trial attorney from a major, international firm. Super intelligent. Brilliant, in fact.

She and I both liked a woman who smiled a lot at us and answered in the negative when asked if she would have a problem with a finding that some people with certain religious convictions may not be able to agree to.

So we wanted her on.

But my law partner said, "I don't like her. It's my gut."

Well he's a bread and butter, hardworking attorney. Not a guy who litigates against entire nations like the lead counsel on our case (it was a case that had political implications so I had to get help because it became to big for our little firm to handle).

So I sided with lead counsel and I had the same feeling as her.

The jury came in. She looked right at us smiling. I felt good.

During the poll, she was the lone hold out against our side. The only one.

We won though because we didn't need all 12!

So that's a little narrative as to why polling is informative for attorneys. (And why I will always value my law partner's gut!).

But in a criminal case it's just necessary to make sure the verdict form wasn't wrong.

No one is going to change their minds.

No—based on what I’ve heard in the past the courts are open on Friday, but trials often don’t run on Fridays. (My impression was that, since judges usually have a lot of upcoming trials, as well as a current one, that Fridays would be devoted to hearings and such.)

Just MOO

That's my impression too. I think the judge does have other things going on on Fridays. I can't remember where but I've seen the schedules of judges at that courthouse. Their schedules includes Fridays. Even Judge Smith. Don't know if that's always the case.

MOO

The polling is to make sure that the vote they cast was that vote. It's also helpful in civil cases for attorneys who try hard to predict who will be a good juror during voir dire, and this they match the jurors votes with how the attorneys predicted the juror would find.

In the one and only jury case I actually litigated (family law is bench trials. Except this weird one), my law partner came to help during voir dire. He does criminal so he's very familiar with the process.

Lead counsel was a big shot trial attorney from a major, international firm. Super intelligent. Brilliant, in fact.

She and I both liked a woman who smiled a lot at us and answered in the negative when asked if she would have a problem with a finding that some people with certain religious convictions may not be able to agree to.

So we wanted her on.

But my law partner said, "I don't like her. It's my gut."

Well he's a bread and butter, hardworking attorney. Not a guy who litigates against entire nations like the lead counsel on our case (it was a case that had political implications so I had to get help because it became to big for our little firm to handle).

So I sided with lead counsel and I had the same feeling as her.

The jury came in. She looked right at us smiling. I felt good.

During the poll, she was the lone hold out against our side. The only one.

We won though because we didn't need all 12!

So that's a little narrative as to why polling is informative for attorneys. (And why I will always value my law partner's gut!).

But in a criminal case it's just necessary to make sure the verdict form wasn't wrong.

No one is going to change their minds.

Interesting and thanks for explaining more about the polling.

I agree it should be basically a confirmation that they agree with what they signed on the form.

But what if they do change their mind and have strong objections when being polled?

Ive never seen it actually happen but what would happen if a juror objected during polling and had second thoughts and wanted to now go against his/her original verdict?

Im going to try to find any example where it has happened.

If it is guilty everything is owed to Mr outstanding rebuttal. She broke it down in such a way that was truly amazing to watch. She cut through the BS and mountains of evidence and narrowed it down to the key facts of the case, then reminded them not to get caught in the weeds or over speculate about anything. Occams razor references simplified everything

I think Melissa Rodriguez did a great job too!

MOO

Interesting and thanks for explaining more about the polling.

I agree it should be basically a confirmation that they agree with what they signed on the form.

But what if they do change their mind and have strong objections when being polled?

Ive never seen it actually happen but what would happen if a juror objected during polling and had second thoughts and wanted to now go against his/her original verdict?

Im going to try to find any example where it has happened.

More than you ever wanted to know.

https://repository.jmls.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1458&context=lawreview

Hope the jurors don't get approached by any other slimeballs.

This is one reason why I have real fears of being a juror in a serious case like this.

There have been multiple examples in the past where a defendant will enlist some outside help to threaten or harm a juror or other members of either the Prosecution or Defense.

It is rare thankfully but it can happen and I think its a valid fear to have. How easy would it be for him to enlist someone to take out a juror in an attempt to get a mistrial.

I like how she said the victims have given them enough answers. And didn't waste time attacking like the childish defense did.

so, jury started at @8:40 a.m. today, reached a verdict, filled out paperwork and left @9:40 a.m.

seems to me, jury could have added an hour to their work day yesterday to accomplish same result, then read verdict today. This is very unusual.
I agree, they should have soldiered on through yesterday afternoon and told the court they had a verdict. Although we also have to consider these 12 do have their own lives and it has been interrupted for the last 5 months. 2 of the jurors had prior commitments. I can't ignore the fact that for many today is graduation day and is a pretty important day for parents and their children. Merritt isn't going anywhere.

Wow. Thanks for the articles.

It can and does happen sometimes. Kinda figured it has happened before. Very interesting stuff.

A common way it can happen is when 1 juror feels they were ganged up on during deliberations so they end up siding with the rest of the jurors and then when the judge does the polling then that person gets stronger because he/her now has the judge in front of them who they can talk to. So their original reservation about the verdict comes out.

Im surprised it doesnt happen much more frequently than it does. Very intersting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar