Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one reason why I have real fears of being a juror in a serious case like this.

There have been multiple examples in the past where a defendant will enlist some outside help to threaten or harm a juror or other members of either the Prosecution or Defense.

It is rare thankfully but it can happen and I think its a valid fear to have. How easy would it be for him to enlist someone to take out a juror in an attempt to get a mistrial.
I think your fears would be unfounded because CM has no one out there to enlist for anything like that from prison, IMO.

This is one reason why I have real fears of being a juror in a serious case like this.

There have been multiple examples in the past where a defendant will enlist some outside help to threaten or harm a juror or other members of either the Prosecution or Defense.

It is rare thankfully but it can happen and I think its a valid fear to have. How easy would it be for him to enlist someone to take out a juror in an attempt to get a mistrial.

OMG I didn't even think of that possibility

th

Oh wait....this one!!!!!!!!

th
Yes! This one!

Joseph McStay’s father, Patrick McStay, lives in Texas but waited in Southern California while the jury deliberated. He said he’s glad the panel reached a verdict, but will have to wait three days to learn the decision.

“It’s going to be a long weekend,” McStay said.

Verdict reached in McStay murder case, but under wraps until Monday

I agree, they should have soldiered on through yesterday afternoon and told the court they had a verdict. Although we also have to consider these 12 do have their own lives and it has been interrupted for the last 5 months. 2 of the jurors had prior commitments. I can't ignore the fact that for many today is graduation day and is a pretty important day for parents and their children. Merritt isn't going anywhere.
Good point.

so, jury started at @8:40 a.m. today, reached a verdict, filled out paperwork and left @9:40 a.m.

seems to me, jury could have added an hour to their work day yesterday to accomplish same result, then read verdict today. This is very unusual.
There may have been one or two not in agreement with the others. It may have taken one more day to get them onboard?

By my calculations they deliberated 20 hours.

Thu 11.15 am to 4 pm = 4.75 hrs less 1.5 hrs lunch = 3.25 hrs
Mon 10.30 am to 4.15 pm = 5.75 hrs less 1.5 hrs lunch = 4.25 hrs
Tu 1.40 pm to 4.15 pm = 2.5 hrs
Wed 9.15 am to 3.45 pm = 6.5 hrs less 2 hrs lunch = 4.5 hrs
Thu 9.45 am to 3.45 pm = 6 hrs less 1.5 hrs lunch = 4.5 hrs
Fr 8.30 to 9.30 am = 1 hr

Total 20 hrs

26.5 hrs if they deliberated during lunch times.

Gang, or club? Huge difference imo. It's a shame that motorcyclists are still vilified in this day and age.

Well I know they're violent. I have a cousin who is part of a motorcycle club. Great guy. However these guys, the nephews are violent and have arrest records. They are Bennent's son and stepson. Anyway, they (hopefully) don't matter in this case.

MOO

This is an interesting article how some of the jurors on the El Chapo case had fears when being picked to be on the jury.

I know that case is an extreme example of someone who really does have the power and control to make things happen outside of a prison. He was the guy that had a personal tunnel dug under his cell and escaped in the tunnel on a motorcycle. Obviously arranged tons of outisde help to get that tunnel built.

High profile murder cases just scare me in general because the defendant doesnt have anything to lose if they know they are guilty.

If he thinks the jury has decided guilty already , now he has all weekend to try to lineup someone by phone (or through a visitor visit) to try to stop Monday's verdict day any way he can.
Its very rare that anything would happen but I personally would lock myself in my house all weekend if I was a juror.

Inside the El Chapo Trial Jury Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members