Closing Arguments- thread #172

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So awesome. I bet Nancy Grace will rename the twins: Juan and Murder-1

Oohh good idea... I think tomorrow I will clean my cleaning supplies. Just knowing KN is spewing filth for most of the day, I will feel better doing excessively clean tasks all day long.

BBM :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Well the stabbing is not necessarily the felony underlying felony murder but it's the felony to support burglary -- which is remaining in someone's home unlawfully for the purpose of committing a felony <-- I think that's what Juan was arguing, that the stabbing was the felony that supports the burglary, and the burglary is the felony that supports felony murder.

So basically the difference is a stabbing that occurs in someone's home (felony murder) and a stabbing that occurs outside someone's home.

So JM's description that a stabbing occuring in somebody's home would always constitute felony murder isn't accurate. A burglary is one of the crimes listed in the Arizona criminal statute, but not a stabbing.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule_(Arizona), reproduced below under the Creative Commons Deed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule_(Arizona) said:
Arizona abolished all common law criminal concepts and replaced them with criminal statutes. The felony murder rule survives in Arizona by current statutory law. The felony murder rule holds that a killing of a person occurring in the course of, or in the immediate flight from, the commission of the following crimes is considered murder in the first degree:
Sexual Conduct with a minor
Sexual Assault
Molestation of a child
Terrorism
Marijuana offenses
Dangerous drug offenses
Narcotics offenses
The use of minors in drug offenses
Drive by shooting
Kidnapping
Burglary
Arson
Robbery
Escape
Child abuse
Unlawful flight from a pursuing law enforcement vehicle

A person convicted of murder in the first degree faces possible sentences of life imprisonment or, when aggravating factors exist, the death penalty. (citations omitted)

I'm just walking out of court and racing home. How has it been going? Are e about done for the day?

Juan was brilliant Gitana, You must watch. He hit on all JA's lies and brought it all together.

I'm just walking out of court and racing home. How has it been going? Are e about done for the day?

Done for the day. Juan finished his closing argument and he did a great job.

He is brilliant. Amazing closing. I am utterly in awe. But I have to add this: my mama was a true crime aficionado. I borrowed 'Small Sacrifices' from her when I was 11 and never looked back. We watched a great many trials together and I've had to watch several without her. :( (Knowing she'd be shouting: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!)never, not I have once, seen an attorney object during closing statements.

I think that says a lot for the caliber of this defense team...I actually lost count of Nurmi's objections.

BBM

A poster from the last thread (I'm sorry, I cannot remember who it was) posted this short clip of Juan Martinez objecting during closing statements. I was suprised myself that objections were ok during closing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaFGq6bVtyg

ETA: I thought the link would show up, not the whole clip. Sorry.

Nurmi usually had someone to question when he dragged his time out. Can Nurmi even give a long closing argument?

:popcorn:

All done about 4:30 pm AZ time. You tube links posted a page or two back. JM masterful watch every minute. Make sure you keep an eye on JA and Wilmot. Wilmot babysits the killer all morning and by the afternoon she looks like she is a JM believer. Well worth your time.

I have to thank you so much for all you've done throughout this trial. I have loved all of it. Thank you soooo much!!!

:gthanks:Just when I thought I had cleared up my face from crying all day - you got me! Boo-hooing again.

Arizona Law, any way that the defense wants to play it, the "grandpa's" or TA's gun, the 3 types of death = Felony murder. JM explained it very specifically.
The defense can't pull it off either way.

Sorry to leave anyone hanging, had to feed the critters...this is how it goes in Arizona:
1.) If JA brought grandpa's gun and kills TA=Premeditated/1st degree Murder

2.) JA uses TA's gun, kills TA once, then 2 more times, and takes gun=Felony (Burglary)/1st degree Murder

Hope that helps explain it. In #2, she commits felony homicide by killing 2 more times and takes TA's weapon...homicide while in a commission of a crime (burglary)

Beth just said that Juan Martinez has twelve other open cases he is working on right now too. OMG. Super human.

Don't worry friend, at the top of the show they are assigned sides to argue, literally. Tomorrow you may see her arguing the other side, and wonder what in the world. That is how all those shows work, otherwise the show would be a bore for everyone to be of one accord, is what the producers think.

It is often funny when folks think that Nancy for example, is really being hard on one of her guests, when truth be told most of them are her very dear friends of over 20 years. It is just for the show.

She is Anahita Sedaghatfar and she is always for the defense as she is a defense lawyer. IMO her inexperience shows all of the time. She needs to shut the **** up and ideally, move on along.

Somewhere, George Anthony is saying, "e'ffing gas cans!"

Full circle to my peeps in the Casey case.

Who would have thought, gas cans would be the strongest, most easy to prove non-circumstantial evidence against Jodi for premeditation would be a gas can?
Somewhere Caylee is smiling. She totally is. Jmo.

I've thought the same thing when the gas cans were talked about in this case.... It brought me back to Caylee.
Thinking of Caylee makes me smile. :seeya:

Nurmi was the one objecting though. Willmott always takes notes even when Nurmi is the one who is going to do cross. I think it's sort of a secretarial thing. She is still helping out.

yes you got a great point there!! i would like to say I am not going to watch but that would be a lie....I am going to watch and then watch JM shoot them down once again.

I totally agree about Det. Flores. So many cases get turned upside down by the defence because of an error during interrogation. His was perfect - no Miranda problems - nothing. I'm sure Juan is grateful for his expertise and support.

And let's not forget... Det. Flores warned JA about Juan... but, JA being JA, didn't believe him...

:floorlaugh:

JW and JA looked really broken at the end. Did you notice that JW just stopped taking notes and just stared over at the jury? She looked like she aged 20 years right before our eyes. It was strange.

Sitting at the guilty table can do that to a person.::floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members