Found Deceased CO - Adam Gilbertson, 29, Denver, 14 Dec 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Off the top of my head I can think of 4 women I know who are yoga teachers who party pretty hard on occasion

I know several as well. Not all yoga teachers or yoga students/enthusiasts follow the strict teachings of Buddha. Some teach and/or practice for health and overall non-denominational spiritual benefits. Do we know if Adam identified as a strict Buddhist?

We don’t really know much about his social life at all, do we? Did he go out often? Was he dating anyone? Had he been out as gay a long time? Was it something he struggled with? Were these bars he went to often - was he a regular? Was he using dating apps?

This case is so close to my heart right now and I’m frustrated by the lack of information. Of course no one “owes” us any info at all, but I’m worried that as time goes by, because there is no info coming out, no searches, etc.. that this case will just fall off the radar. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know several as well. Not all yoga teachers or yoga students/enthusiasts follow the strict teachings of Buddha. Some teach and/or practice for health and overall non-denominational spiritual benefits. Do we know if Adam identified as a strict Buddhist?

We don’t really know much about his social life at all, do we? Did he go out often? Was he dating anyone? Had he been out as gay a long time? Was it something he struggled with? Were these bars he went to often - was he a regular? Was he using dating apps?

This case is so close to my heart right now and I’m frustrated by the lack of information. Of course no one “owes” us any info at all, but I’m worried that as time goes by, because there is no info coming out, no searches, etc.. that this case will just fall off the radar. [emoji20]

I am frustrated by the lack of information as well and I wanted to check something with you all, was the last update on his disappearance five days ago and no newspaper/LE etc has said anything else since then? I teach in a Balkan nation where lots of US websites and videos are blocked -I get the message on the computer screen "this is not available in your country"- so I do not know if there is something I am missing.

It seems to me Adam's disappearance is not being properly covered by the media and I do not like this one bit, sorry to say.

I just watched Adam's instagram candle blowing video again about twenty times. In my amateur opinion, that is most definitely "goodbye".

I'm sorry to say that, and I will be delighted to be wrong. Don't think I am though.
Praying against the odds...

Oh Adam...

Hello everyone,

I have been reading everyone's thoughtful, insightful, caring posts and I am so heartened to see a community of strangers so concerned for Adam.

I chose to register and join your conversation because I know him. That was admittedly a few years ago, but Adam is one of those people you just feels connected to, and it feels like no time has passed at all since I used to see him regularly. I was a casual friend of his in MN and have not seen him since he moved, so it's possible things are different for him now, but for the Adam I met and quickly came to cherish, this disappearance is wildly out of character. The man I knew then was a kind, gentle, caring guy. Grounded and in touch with his feelings and those of others. He was out as a gay man then, and seemed very comfortable with who he was. Truly a friend to all, supportive and giving.

It is difficult bordering on impossible to divine insight into the mental health of those who wish to conceal their struggles with the world, so I certainly make room for the notion that Adam chose to leave us of his own accord. But (and I know how cliche it is to say it) that just isn't the man I know.

It's so hard to remain positive and hopeful while the days tick by with no information, and reading the concerned thoughts on this thread has helped me a good deal. Thank you everyone. I will of course share anything I hear w you the INSTANT I know it, but I haven't any links to new information that you all don't have. In the meantime, I am keeping him in my heart and thank you all for the work and insight you're doing.

Hello everyone,

I have been reading everyone's thoughtful, insightful, caring posts and I am so heartened to see a community of strangers so concerned for Adam.

I chose to register and join your conversation because I know him. That was admittedly a few years ago, but Adam is one of those people you just feels connected to, and it feels like no time has passed at all since I used to see him regularly. I was a casual friend of his in MN and have not seen him since he moved, so it's possible things are different for him now, but for the Adam I met and quickly came to cherish, this disappearance is wildly out of character. The man I knew then was a kind, gentle, caring guy. Grounded and in touch with his feelings and those of others. He was out as a gay man then, and seemed very comfortable with who he was. Truly a friend to all, supportive and giving.

It is difficult bordering on impossible to divine insight into the mental health of those who wish to conceal their struggles with the world, so I certainly make room for the notion that Adam chose to leave us of his own accord. But (and I know how cliche it is to say it) that just isn't the man I know.

It's so hard to remain positive and hopeful while the days tick by with no information, and reading the concerned thoughts on this thread has helped me a good deal. Thank you everyone. I will of course share anything I hear w you the INSTANT I know it, but I haven't any links to new information that you all don't have. In the meantime, I am keeping him in my heart and thank you all for the work and insight you're doing.

Welcome rosefowles34. Sorry it is under these circumstances. Adam seems like a wonderful person.

I just watched Adam's instagram candle blowing video again about twenty times. In my amateur opinion, that is most definitely "goodbye".

I'm sorry to say that, and I will be delighted to be wrong. Don't think I am though.
Praying against the odds...

Oh Adam...

I agree it's the most likely possibility by far, but what bothers me about it is if he was putting up a "goodbye" message, it sucks to put it in these terms, but it makes no sense for him to have gone somewhere or "done it" in some way that he has not yet been found in a dense urban area.

Like, why be up front about the first part and so secretive about the end result?

And if so secretive, why wouldn't he take the car somewhere further away to do it?

I know there's little sense in trying to work thru the logic of someone committing suicide, especially someone who by all available information is not actively depressed, i just think it's worth noting the contrast there for what it's worth.

I *really* want to know what Adam said to the bouncer. What happened at that club that upset him so much?

I *really* want to know what Adam said to the bouncer. What happened at that club that upset him so much?

What bouncer? I thought he talked to his Lyft driver about getting harassed. Did he also talk to a bouncer? Did I miss that? Was he really upset? Please link that article, I think I may have missed that somehow.

Good morning everyone. I registered and elected to speak up because I feel that I have some perspective that may be worthy -- not just to conjecture or speculation, but to solving this puzzle. I did not personally know Adam, even though we have many mutual friends on social media. However, it does happen that I am a former gay bar employee of two Denver gay bars, neither of which were Charlie's. My greater tenure was with the first bar, who vied with Charlie's for the definitive Country Western go-to -- a pretty important image to maintain if you have it, as this is wild frontier west Denver, Colorado, after all. This is not to say we stood much a chance for claiming that title, however, so long as Charlie's continued featuring country line dancing on Fridays/Saturdays with an MC/DJ team that had a very committed following.

For reasons I cannot know because I'm far more an aloof creative type than a shrewd businessperson, Charlie's just up and decided to toss their crown jewel in order to pursue the garden variety Gen Y Miley Cyrus-Rhiannah-135bpm+ demographic that seemed to be doing well across the street at X-Bar. Without ten seconds' consideration, it was arranged that line dancing would be move to our location -- which was struggling to meet baseline sales goals on Friday and Saturday nights up until then, to be honest -- whereupon we immediately increased door count four to ten fold. Our "bar" was really more like a club that consisted of three or four separate bars, depending on the night, with their own attendant feel to them. I was privileged to work behind the bar where the line dancing event was to be held, which I say now because I learned quite a lot about sorts of things that went on consistently over at Charlie's via the refugee staff now under our employ. As the first night wore down, and by 1am and it was really just the DJ, MC, the other bartender, and myself left in the room, the DJ relayed that "even she, a staff member, had been dosed with something more than once" at her prior establishment. The MC corroborated this, explaining that he had to lift her off the ground two nights prior, even though he knows "she can handle her liquor, and only drinks one thing anyway... she has never just chosen to abandon her integrity." The MC went on to cite several other examples of recent memory where people he knew suddenly became drastically altered in ways their characters had never suggested that it was something they wanted. To this, I was amazed, because I had heard from patrons of the "rival" bar on more than one occasion that they did not feel quite right despite doing nothing unusual with their imbibing habits. If the DJ's incident was the only time I had heard of drink-dosing at Charlie's, I would have been a lot more ambivalent about how honest allegations were about the true nature of her former workplace. That allegation was maintained rather forcefully, though, by many of Charlie's other bartending staff had migrated to us around that time, too, and on their own, these new colleagues one-by-one spoke to me about the abnormal incident rate that happened at their bar as opposed to what they were hearing about other bars. I also am not a total philistine and read the news, and so I know that if it is not one thing, it is another at the 900 block of Colfax -- the muggings and burglaries in the Charlie's parking lot and near the entrance to the bar are sickeningly high.

Let me be clear that I am not here to slam Charlie's, as I have no stakes in the game -- I do not work for any gay bar right now. Let me also be clear that a lot of Charlie's conundrums have a lot to do with their location, which, if you're not familiar with Colfax Ave., could be compared to what San Francisco's Union Square might be like if it was still an ungentrified Barbary Coast; Colfax is very much still a Pirate's street. Just a few blocks from Charlie's, there was (may still be, I don't know) a white supremacist beachhead at 1400 Ogden, from which actual jackbooted skinheads in suspenders would harass people they believed to be Jewish. (http://www.westword.com/news/willia...rrested-for-vandalism-assault-warrant-9271781) Both antisemetic and homophobic/transphobic graffiti have increased by exponential figures in that Capitol Hill neighborhood from 2016 to 2017 -- and also across America. Leaving the political argument out now, it is not totally implausible that drink spiking -- which I wholeheartedly believe happens at Charlie's from the abundant testimonies of disparate populations that have gone there and experienced inexplicable sickness -- is not just another way that sickos from that neighborhood are targeting a vulnerable population.

But here's the thing about that, then: generally the drink spiking that happens these days when someone claims to have been "ruffied", is from the club drug GHB. Via anecdotes of people that are in the harm reduction business, the mix of GHB and liquor is one that is explicitly warned against by even the most reckless drug users. And when someone does ingest the two together, the resulting sickness would appear immediately.

If someone had spiked Adam's drink, it was probably not with GHB. But that it doesn't mean he did not get dosed. Again, this is going on the recent precedent for drink-spiking at that bar, however downplayed their leadership may make of it. Given the kinds of things you can find right there on the surrounding blocks -- according to the Denver Post crime report, the possibilities are kind of endless -- something that takes a little bit longer to come up like an orally ingested opioid or psychostimulant would maybe explainhow an abstract-thinking and largely self-aware person might hold it together for an hour after leaving the one suspect bar and then suddenly find himself traipsing across a veritable active runway to the metro's primary interstate system. Or why the unlocked side door. Or why the keys inside but no Adam. Or why the phone wasn't placed in a recharge port. Those are basic things someone experiencing a sudden altered state they did not anticipate coming on may fail to perform with their normal effortlessness.

The other thing I need to bring up is that there is in fact another gay bar across the street just on the other side of Alameda, and that is Lil' Devils. I know this because they are one of the oldest gay bars in Denver, and their bartenders would come into the other bar I tended on their off nights, which is how I know about it. So, maybe my theory about drink spiking at Charlie's is not watertight. There still is then the chance that, with only slightly addled alcoholic intoxication, Adam took off for Lil' Devils in the hope for one more chance at the night. I think it's insane, actually, that no one has examined if Adam had ever frequented that bar, because it's the closest proper gay bar to his home.

There needs to be a lot more scrutiny of the bars he was at throughout the night, not just the alleged final one (Syntax, which is more of a progressive bar than a gay bar, for sure). It is highly suspect to me that the bar where alleged harassment occurred has, shockingly, only one video feed for the front of the bar. Because... no way. NO WAY in the f-----' big blue world can that be the case. Downtown gay bar owners are not that loving and trusting of humanity to not have their facilities monitored to the legal limits of privacy. No way there's not more tapes from Charlie's.

This really sucks and it isn't fair at all. Bless you, Adam. Come back home.

I live in the area and there are security cameras all around the Sams Club, as well as Wendy’s, Taco Bell, the light rail station....etc. One of the Sam’s club cameras is pointing directly at Syntax. You would think it would be able to pick up someone crossing the street close to the time stamp on the Syntax cameras. If you cross the street here it would be hard not to be picked up by at least one camera. I haven’t seen much about the other surveillance systems. Is it typical that there has been little insight to if these were released? I’m sure the family has more than exhausted this obvious route. Would a warrant be needed for these corporations to release?

Thank you for your input!

Maybe some footage had already been recorded over when LE or family came to ask for it?

I can’t imagine that his phone records haven’t been accessed yet, and I would *hope* that all of the surveillance has been looked at. It’s been eleven days already
:(

Perhaps the family and LE know more than we do, but just aren’t choosing to share it.

I’m still stumped by the fact that there haven’t been any searches.

bbm Another speculation of mine, maybe he was seen entering a car so they have no way of knowing where he went and where to search for him. OTOH, wouldn't that piece of information be released? :thinking:

Heartknows,

Thank you for this perspective. Given the lay of the land, what is your speculation on what happened to Adam, and what do you think is the key to discovery? I’m intrigued by your assertion there are other security videos; I believe that. Sound like someone might be concerned about exposure/liability.

All amateur opinion and speculation.

I agree it's the most likely possibility by far, but what bothers me about it is if he was putting up a "goodbye" message, it sucks to put it in these terms, but it makes no sense for him to have gone somewhere or "done it" in some way that he has not yet been found in a dense urban area.

Like, why be up front about the first part and so secretive about the end result?

And if so secretive, why wouldn't he take the car somewhere further away to do it?

I know there's little sense in trying to work thru the logic of someone committing suicide, especially someone who by all available information is not actively depressed, i just think it's worth noting the contrast there for what it's worth.

This is what I keep coming back to too. Maybe the mistake in making is trying to assign logical thought to a hypothetical situation where certainly one is not thinking logically...but yeah, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I do not know Adam. I have lived in Denver for 13 years, not too far from the neighborhood in which Adam disappeared. I have ridden my bike along the Platte River path on many occasions well north and south of the neighborhood in question. I also have travelled the neighborhoods around this area. When I plot a radius on at least one mile around his apartment, it is clear that most of the geography consists of residential and commercial properties. It seems odd that anyone who might have become lost or disoriented would not be discovered within a reasonable time in this area. However, the areas that might be of concern are along or in the Platte River or perhaps in some industrial areas (metal reclamation, waste disposal). The industrial areas would probably be secured against most people finding their ways into those properties. Clearly there is still the possibility of someone falling into, or along the shores of the river. However, there are many people (homeless, runners, bikers, dog walkers, walkers) who frequent the pathways along the river. And at this time of year, the river is not especially deep. Thus, it deepens the mystery as to how a young man, in very good physical shape, with apparently good swimming skills, accidentally becomes lost in this geographical area without someone eventually coming across him. This is a very inter-active metropolitan area. However, I do wonder the degree to which a search has been conducted along the Platte River.

Thank you for your input!

Maybe some footage had already been recorded over when LE or family came to ask for it?

The family sprang into action pretty fast - my hope is that LE or their investigator did their due diligence and collected the footage right away.

bbm Another speculation of mine, maybe he was seen entering a car so they have no way of knowing where he went and where to search for him. OTOH, wouldn't that piece of information be released? :thinking:

You would think they would put out an APB for the type of car and ask the public for help if that was the case. I'd hope so anyway!

The other thing I need to bring up is that there is in fact another gay bar across the street just on the other side of Alameda, and that is Lil' Devils. I know this because they are one of the oldest gay bars in Denver, and their bartenders would come into the other bar I tended on their off nights, which is how I know about it. So, maybe my theory about drink spiking at Charlie's is not watertight. There still is then the chance that, with only slightly addled alcoholic intoxication, Adam took off for Lil' Devils in the hope for one more chance at the night. I think it's insane, actually, that no one has examined if Adam had ever frequented that bar, because it's the closest proper gay bar to his home.

Yep, he could have walked over there after Syntax.. Maybe that's why the surveillance saw him going in that direction. People just assumed he went home - maybe not!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.42.46 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.42.46 AM.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 310
I happened to notice Illegal Pete's on the map and checked their website. They are open until 2PM on Thursdays. Could he have gone there for something to eat?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude
Back