GUILTY CO - Bobbie Oberholtzer, 29, & Annette Schnee, 21, killed, Breckenridge, 3 July 1982 *arrest in 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Park County authorities announced a major development in a 39-year-old cold case on Wednesday. Park County Sheriff Tom McGraw announced that Alan Lee Phillips was arrested in the 1982 kidnapping, assault and homicides of Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee.

Alan-Lee-Phillips.jpg

Alan Lee Phillips (credit: CBI)

Phillips, 70, was arrested last month in Clear Creek County and taken to the Park County Jail where he remains in custody on first-degree kidnapping, assault and homicide charges.
“That investigation resulted in investigative leads potentially connecting Alan Phillips to these cases. We began investigative work that’s been going on for the past six weeks with agents from CBI, we greatly appreciate their assistance, the FBI also we greatly appreciate their assistance, and the Clear Creek County Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Albert, we definitely appreciate him,” said McGraw. “This arrest is the culmination of technology, extraordinary police work, and an unwavering commitment to justice for Bobbie Jo, Annette and their families.”

Surveillance crews began their investigation about 5 weeks ago before officers moved in on Phillips. He was taken into custody during a traffic stop.

Alan-Phillips_1-CBI.jpg

An earlier photo of Alan Lee Phillips (credit: CBI)

Phillips had been living in Clear Creek County and was a semi-retired mechanic. He has lived in other areas of Colorado but isn’t believed to have lived much outside of Colorado.

As for whether Phillips may be connected to other unsolved crimes, investigators said they will continue to follow up.

“Anybody that can commit a crime like this of killing these two beautiful women, I think could have the tendency to commit other violent acts. But we’re following up on everything,” said McGraw.

For that reason, authorities have released a photo of Phillips from when he was younger and set up a tip line about the 1982 murders or any information related to the suspect: 720.248.8378.
Park County Sheriff Announces Arrest Of Alan Lee Phillips In 39-Year-Old Cold Case Murders Of Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer And Annette Schnee

I am honored to make this important announcement after nearly 40 years have passed since these murders took place,” said McGraw, in the news release, which also stresses Phillips is innocent until proven guilty. “This arrest is the culmination of technology, extraordinary police work, and an unwavering commitment to justice for Bobbie Jo, Annette and their families.”

In 2020, in partnership with local, state and federal law enforcement, Metro CrimeStoppers and United Data Connect, new information was developed with genetic genealogy to identify a potential suspect in the case. Following comprehensive investigative work, arrest warrants for Phillips were obtained in February.
Arrest made in Breckenridge-area cold case murders

"You think about these two young, beautiful women that you've seen pictures of lying in the snow, after being shot in the darkness, by themselves, dying; basically freezing to death. It would make you not give up like Charlie didn't," said Mitch Morrissey, a co-founder of United Data Connect and former Denver district attorney, He was referring to Charlie McCormick, a former Denver homicide detective and private investigator who has studied the two cases for decades.

"And it makes you want to answer the question of who would do such a horrible thing to somebody."

McCormick said he has had difficulty "defining" his emotions about the case apparently being solved, saying it feels "like a new beginning." He added the case has kept going over the years because there were always threads to follow up on.

"This case has kept going because ... there was always something to do that, as a good investigator, or a professional investigator, you couldn't ignore."

During the initial investigation, police said they believed the killer was a local due to the remote location where Schnee’s body was hidden.

Park County Sheriff Tom McGraw said that although some people don't stay in the area where they commit crimes, he wasn't surprised at the revelation Phillips still lived close by. He added Phillips has lived in other areas of Colorado since the murders.

Officials declined to identify the specific piece of evidence that provided DNA linking Phillips to the crimes.

Denver7 reported that Phillips was previously arrested on burglary and assault charges in 1973, though the cases were purged in 2002. Police said Phillips had not been involved in any serious crimes on record.

"I would say this: In 38, years of law enforcement, for myself, anybody that can commit a crime like this -- of killing these two beautiful women --I think could have the tendency to commit other violent acts," McGraw said.

If Phillips is found guilty, Crime Stoppers will have solved eight cases, including six murders, in 15 months using genetic genealogy.

With this solved there would also be only one unsolved murder within Park County, down from four in 2019. The remaining unsolved murder is that of 17-year-old Maggie Long, who was killed in her Bailey home in 2017.
Colorado man arrested for 1982 cold case killings of 2 women near Breckenridge

Interestingly this case didn't make it to the Unsolved Mysteries that were all posted to Youtube as it seems some segments were edited out by the producers either to family being all deceased or wanting their privacy or the main suspect featured in each segment having been cleared by LE in the meantime.

The Dennis Farina version is on YouTube. Ridiculous that it focused so much on the husband. But at least they updated at the end to say he was no longer a suspect.

First segment on this episode:

The Dennis Farina version is on YouTube. Ridiculous that it focused so much on the husband. But at least they updated at the end to say he was no longer a suspect.

First segment on this episode:

Wow! So glad to see these cases have been solved!

I agree, its sad that the husband was so much the focus of the investigation. I know they have to eliminate spouses as suspects in these cases, so I'm glad they finally stopped pursuing him. I hope he was able to get on with his life.

Great work done by all the investigators who never gave up on solving these cases. Good job!

With both of these cases, it seemed like it had to be someone local. Someone who drove around the community, worked there, even during the winter weather. Very frustrating for families and LE.

Last edited:
I am so glad that these two murders are being solved. I wonder if he will be linked to any other missing/murdered women.
Wow! So glad to see these cases have been solved!

I agree, its sad that the husband was so much the focus of the investigation. I know they have to eliminate spouses as suspects in these cases, so I'm glad they finally stopped pursuing him. I hope he was able to get on with his life.
Agree. Unfortunately for him, there were just a few coincidences that came into play. I am sure it was a living hell for him. But more and more of these old cold cases will be solved with genetics.

With both of these cases, it seemed like it had to be someone local. Someone who drove around the community, worked there, even during the winter weather. Very frustrating for families and LE.

I'm not sure how local the suspect was. Phillips was apparently living 60 miles away from the Schnee murder site, which was 20 miles south of Breckenridge. It was that road that was argued as so obscure that seemingly only a local would know about it. So far there is no indication that Phillips ever lived within 40 miles of Breckenridge/60 miles from Schnee site. One of the reasons the husband became such a focus is they thought only a resident of the immediate area would know.

I certainly don't consider myself local to places 60 miles away from me. Of course, to the west that would be midway in the Everglades and to the east it would be 50 miles out into the Atlantic. But even if I use north that would mean I am local to Palm Beach County. That would be laughable. Delphi, Indiana is less than 60 miles from the Illinois state line. If an Illinois resident just across the state line turns out to be Bridge Guy, is he going to be deemed a local?

I'm not sure how local the suspect was. Phillips was apparently living 60 miles away from the Schnee murder site, which was 20 miles south of Breckenridge. It was that road that was argued as so obscure that seemingly only a local would know about it. So far there is no indication that Phillips ever lived within 40 miles of Breckenridge/60 miles from Schnee site. One of the reasons the husband became such a focus is they thought only a resident of the immediate area would know.

I certainly don't consider myself local to places 60 miles away from me. Of course, to the west that would be midway in the Everglades and to the east it would be 50 miles out into the Atlantic. But even if I use north that would mean I am local to Palm Beach County. That would be laughable. Delphi, Indiana is less than 60 miles from the Illinois state line. If an Illinois resident just across the state line turns out to be Bridge Guy, is he going to be deemed a local?
To be fair, towns are more spread out in Colorado—at least they were in the '80s. It wouldn't have been unusual for someone living in a small town out west to have to drive 60 miles to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant or even to go shopping.

Last edited:
To be fair, towns are more spread out in Colorado—at least they were in the '80s. It wouldn't have been unusual for someone living in a small town out west to have to drive 60 miles to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant or even to go shopping.
I was going to make sort of the same comment. 60 miles really isn't far in the west. And it certainly wouldn't be far for someone that was perhaps an outdoorsman. He would know lots about roads and terrain all over the area. Besides, when the LE said they believed it was someone "local" I think they just meant not someone passing through. This area, then and now, has lots of tourists and drifters coming and going. So I think they just meant it wasn't one of those people.

Last edited:

This is true, especially back then, up in that Breckenridge area. There were a limited number of roads in the mountains and IIRC, people drove long distances for shopping, eating out, etc.

Per the suspects’s Facebook page which is amazingly still active...

“Born in Michigan. . Raised in Texas (west Texas, the ugly part), High school at Oklahoma Military Academy, College at Ottawa University, Lived in Kansas City for a while then moved to Colorado, Fairplay, 10,000 ft elevation in February. . Didn't stay there long. . Lived in Denver for a couple years before settleing down in Clear Creek County, Idaho Springs, Dumont, Georgetown. . . .”

Fairplay is just a few miles from where Schnee’s body was found, and only 10 minutes or so from Hoosier Pass. Definitely a local.

They should also look at him for Elizabeth (Beth) Miller since he lived in Idaho Springs too.

Friday, March 5th:
*Hearing (@ 1:15pm MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbie Jo” Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholzter last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway CO 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Beckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Beckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/70) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of murder after deliberation, 2 counts of kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Held without bond.
United Data Connect: new information was developed with genetic genealogy to identify the potential suspect in the case.
3/3/21 Update: Hearing on 3/5/21 & return filing of charges on 3/8/21 @ 11:30am.

Per the suspects’s Facebook page which is amazingly still active...

“Born in Michigan. . Raised in Texas (west Texas, the ugly part), High school at Oklahoma Military Academy, College at Ottawa University, Lived in Kansas City for a while then moved to Colorado, Fairplay, 10,000 ft elevation in February. . Didn't stay there long. . Lived in Denver for a couple years before settleing down in Clear Creek County, Idaho Springs, Dumont, Georgetown. . . .”

Fairplay is just a few miles from where Schnee’s body was found, and only 10 minutes or so from Hoosier Pass. Definitely a local.

They should also look at him for Elizabeth (Beth) Miller since he lived in Idaho Springs too.

Didn't the news articles report him as being a plumber? That means he would have been traveling around to a lot of those towns for jobs. He would have seen a lot of women hitching in those towns.

ETA: News article says he was a part-time mechanic

Alan Lee Phillips: Colorado man, 70, arrested 40 years after brutal deaths of two missing women

Sheriff McGraw described Phillips as a part-time mechanic who had lived in different Colorado locations over the years. He was arrested in a planned traffic stop, without incident, handcuffed and taken to jail. McGraw also said Phillips had been under surveillance at the time of his arrest.

“I’m not shocked he was still around,” the sheriff said. “It happens, I was not surprised.” He said at a press conference that their big break in the case came after forensic genetic genealogy investigators were able to connect Phillips to the crime scenes. The suspect's DNA sample was located on a genealogy database and led investigators to him.

I'm not quite sure of his timeline, but I wondered about Shelley Kay Robertson. She was found near Georgetown, which is in Clear Creek County where Phillips lives. I still personally think that Bundy might be responsible for Shelley's murder but I wanted to double-check all possibilities.

Or even these disappearances and murders.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Jane Doe
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Shannon MacLean
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Linda Hutchings
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Patricia Lilly

Last edited:
Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
3/22/21
11:30 AM 1Hr PHILLIPS, ALAN Rtrn Filing of Charges D472021CR15 Park County Division B

3/22/21
11:30 AM 1Hr PHILLIPS, ALAN Hearing D472021CR16 Park County Division B

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Can anyone find out which victim belongs to each of the case #s above? CR15 for Bobbie Jo? or CR16?

TIA!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee