GUILTY CO - Bobbie Oberholtzer, 29, & Annette Schnee, 21, killed, Breckenridge, 3 July 1982 *arrest in 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Park County, Colorado cold case: Suspect in 1982 murders in court | 9news.com

March 5, 2021
PARK COUNTY, Colo. — The man accused of murdering two women last seen hitchhiking near Breckenridge appeared in a Park County courtroom Friday where the judge ruled that investigative documents be made available to his defense team.
[.....]
His next court hearing was set for Monday, March 8 at 11:30 a.m.

hmmm... the article says next hearing on 3/8 - but the court site doesn't have that date. I just checked it - so will do so again tomorrow....

She is somebody I always looked up to. She would do my hair, and she would do my makeup and paint my fingernails. She acted more like a caregiver. She was with me a lot babysitting me,” said Cindy French, Schnee’s sister.

French describes her sister as outgoing and goofy. French and Smith said after nearly 40 years, the news of an arrest in the case came as a shock.

“I think my jaw literally hit the floor. When they say it’s jaw-dropping, I think that’s exactly how I would describe it. I couldn’t believe it. days went on and it was a shock, and I’m still having a hard time believing that it’s happening and that there was an arrest,” said French.

For Schnee’s mother, it’s the start of a path to closure.

“She’s like, ‘Oh Scott, can you believe it? Can you believe it?’ she says. I’m just in a state of shock, she said ‘I really, I really thought my time was going to run out before I found out.’ So she got to find out. We all did,” said Smith.

Alan Lee Phillips, 70, is accused of kidnapping and murdering Annette Schnee in 1982.

“It’s going to be a real interesting next 18 months on this thing, but we waited 39 years, we can wait another 18 months,” said Smith.

French and Smith said they want to know what really happened the day Annette Schnee was killed and why. They say she’ll always be with them, but they look forward to putting the rest behind.
Sioux City victim’s family, friends react after arrest made in Colorado cold case | SiouxlandProud | Sioux City, IA | News, Weather, and Sports

Monday, March 22nd:
*Return Filing of Charges (#CR15) & Hearing (#CR16) (@ 11:30am MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbi” Jo Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholzter last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway CO 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Breckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/70) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of 1st degree kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Held without bond.
United Data Connect, new information was developed with genetic genealogy to identify the potential suspect in the case.
3/3/21 Update: Hearing on 3/5/21 & return filing of charges on 3/8/21 @ 11:30am. 3/5/21 Update: For case #D472021CR15 next return filing of charges hearing on 3/22 & for case #D472021CR16 hearing on 3/22/21.

Looks like case #D472021CR16 is no longer there... must have been some previous case of his. I'll keep an eye out on the court site to see if it reappears. So I'm going to "assume" that the CR15 case # is for these 2 murders.
Maybe someone reading here can find out "what" these case #s charges are....

Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
5/18/21
9:00 AM 1D PHILLIPS, ALAN Preliminary Hearing D472021CR15 Park County Division B

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Tuesday, May 18th:
*Preliminary Hearing (for Annette) & Setting Hearing (for Bobbi) (@ 9am MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbi” Jo Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholzter last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway CO 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Breckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/70) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of 1st degree kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
United Data Connect, new information was developed with genetic genealogy to identify the potential suspect in the case.
3/3/21 Update: Hearing on 3/5/21 & return filing of charges on 3/8/21 @ 11:30am. 3/5/21 Update: For case #D472021CR15 next return filing of charges hearing on 3/22 & for case #CD472021CR16 hearing on 3/22/21.
3/22/21 Update: Case #D472021CR16 (Annette) next preliminary hearing on 5/18/21. For Case #D472021CR15 (Bobbi) next setting hearing on 5/18/21.

Tuesday, May 18th:
*Preliminary Hearing (for Annette) & Setting Hearing (for Bobbi) (@ 9am MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbi” Jo Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholzter last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway CO 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Breckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/70) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of 1st degree kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
3/3/21 Update: Hearing on 3/5/21 & return filing of charges on 3/8/21 @ 11:30am. 3/5/21 Update: For case #D472021CR15 next return filing of charges hearing on 3/22 & for case #CD472021CR16 hearing on 3/22/21.
3/22/21 Update: Case #D472021CR16 (Annette) next preliminary hearing on 5/18/21. For Case #D472021CR15 (Bobbi) next setting hearing on 5/18/21.

Thanks, Niner. Do you know if any of these hearings have been televised? TIA

Well it's Colorado. I don't have a link to the documents for this case - and I really don't know "how" to go about finding them. Sorry - I don't know if it will be televised.

It looks like the most likely tv stations that would cover hearings for Park County would be those in Colorado Springs. A quick look shows most of them are now covering the Suzanne Morphew and Gannon Stauch cases.

This may be a good link for future reference, though.

Crime | FOX21 News Colorado

Two young women disappeared from the Breckenridge area on the evening of Jan. 6, 1982. Both were last seen hitchhiking and their bodies were eventually found months apart.

On that very same night, a rescuer saved a man at the top of Guanella Pass who had been caught in a snowstorm. The two events remained seemingly unconnected for decades. That is until earlier this year.

[...]

According to Montoya, Phillips had a sizable bruise on one side of his face. He said Phillips explained that he had gotten out of his truck at one point to go to the bathroom and, while trying to get back in, was blinded by the snow and slammed headfirst into the corner of the truck.

It turned out that Montoya had seen Phillips before, at the local mine where they both worked. Montoya was a miner, Phillips a mechanic.

But he would not see him again for nearly 40 years. In March of this year, he saw Phillips’ mug shot on television.

Colorado cold case: How a mountain rescue is tied to murder | 9news.com

Two young women disappeared from the Breckenridge area on the evening of Jan. 6, 1982. Both were last seen hitchhiking and their bodies were eventually found months apart.

On that very same night, a rescuer saved a man at the top of Guanella Pass who had been caught in a snowstorm. The two events remained seemingly unconnected for decades. That is until earlier this year.

[...]

According to Montoya, Phillips had a sizable bruise on one side of his face. He said Phillips explained that he had gotten out of his truck at one point to go to the bathroom and, while trying to get back in, was blinded by the snow and slammed headfirst into the corner of the truck.

It turned out that Montoya had seen Phillips before, at the local mine where they both worked. Montoya was a miner, Phillips a mechanic.

But he would not see him again for nearly 40 years. In March of this year, he saw Phillips’ mug shot on television.

Colorado cold case: How a mountain rescue is tied to murder | 9news.com

This news must be absolutely heartbreaking for the families b/c the killer was rescued on the same night their loved ones were killed.

Colorado man, 70, charged with murdering two women in 1982 was rescued just hours after killing them | Daily Mail Online

"A man who was rescued from a snowdrift in the Rocky Mountains in 1982 after signaling for help has been charged in the cold case killings of two women he allegedly murdered just hours before his own salvation.

Alan Lee Phillips, 70, was arrested for the cold case murders in March but has since been charged with the murder, kidnapping and assault of two women, KUSA reported.

Phillips, then 30, was rescued on January 6, 1982 after a local sheriff on a United Airlines flight to California spotted him flashing 'SOS' in Morse Code with his truck's headlights as the plane flew over Guanella Pass.

Harold E. Bray, the former Jefferson County Sheriff, alerted the flight's captain of the message - who radioed down to officials on the ground, the Washington Post reported."

I was wondering about his history in all these years that had passed and see that LE is on it.

He said Phillips has had no major arrests since 1982 but officials are looking into his potential involvement in other cases.
Police showed younger pictures of Phillips at the press conference and asked the public to reach out with any information about the case.
Dumont is located about 35 miles (56 kilometers) west of Denver.

70-year-old Colorado man arrested in 1982 murders of two women

Per the suspects’s Facebook page ...

“ Raised in Texas (west Texas, the ugly part), High school at Oklahoma Military Academy, .
RSBM
Interesting!
I wonder if he ever was near Georgetown TX. HL Lucas confessed to Debra Jackson's murder but the orange socks are striking.
And I guess the mystery man in the photo found in Annette's backpack is still unidentified?
I can believe someone could do something like this--one evil night--and never again?

Authorities Rescued Him From A Snow Drift In A Mountain Pass — And Had No Idea He’d Just Killed Two Women

Jaw-dropping. The fact that he risked sending that SOS signal is a bit mind blowing, putting himself at risk for arrest. As someone who has lived in Colorado, like the posters above said, you could drive for 60+ miles and not run in to another city. I've gone on enough road trips in that state to experience this firsthand, not to mention those friendly words of advice: 'Check your gas level, next gas station is 70 or so miles away' marked on signs on the state roads and interstate highways.
Colorado is 104,185 square miles in size - a huge state.

On an even more personal note: I believe Dumont was one of the towns I passed through on I-70 back in 2004/05. Very small town, surrounded by the Rockies. Probably the last thing that would have crossed my mind back then was being in the same area as a serial killer.

I, too, wonder if Phillips will be connected to any other cold cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC
Back