Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the transcript from the Timeline and MSM links:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191821&page=2 (down a few posts)

but the Durango Herald article that mentions employment is here:

http://durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687/0/News/A-boy’s-life

I noticed Dylan has a black eye in the picture of him playing baseball. You can enlarge the picture in the link below to get a close up of his left eye.

http://durangoherald.com/storyimage...662/EP/1/1/EP-121129662.jpg&maxw=650&maxh=550

LOL! I was just trying to figure out what happened to your post(s).

I meant to include in scenario #1 that he would not have taken his backpack with him if he was just going out for a bit to play. He may have already packed up his things and had them waiting by the door so he'd be ready to roll when dad got home... especially if he was so excited as most believe.

Wasn't the weather super nice that day? I seem to recall that it was but I could be mistaken.

I also get the "hurmph, yuhh, mmmkay" response to questions asked of my comatose teen when he is trying to sleep. I also frequently hear; "nevermind, I don't want to get up, I'll go later/when you get back."

If he had his stuff packed up ands waiting at the door, then it would have still been there if it was a random kidnapping. So imo it had to have been someone who offered him a ride and he went willingly. But I do still have some doubts, because wouldnt they be worried that a neighbor might have seen them idling in his front yard and speaking to him right before he went missing?

My DS was always quick to get up early if it was something he loved, like surfing or camping or snowboarding. But we got the comatose treatment for school quite often. My DH actually used an airhorn a few times. lol

My DD was always known for making ambitious plans the previous night with friends, and then refusing to get up the next morning. So I do understand the possibility of his hiding under the covers. But I don't believe all of the other 'coincidences' that would have to happen for him to not contact anyone that morning. His battery would have to die, then be completely dead forever, and then he had to not know anyones number, including his moms landline, so he could not call anyone. And then he had to have been blocked from the computer to not be able to IM anyone or message anyone to say his cell was dead and he missed his ride. And then he would have to be rude and not leave a message for his dad, saying he was leaving and not waiting for a ride, and telling him his cell was dead and broken.
Which is another odd thing. Because if he woke up and found out his cell was broken for good, wouldnt he wait an hour for dad so he could possibly get a new battery or a replacement trac phone? I know my kids would have.

Thanks again to your kind replies and/or thanks. (Face flaming a bit from outburst)
Now if I don't get the boot from the bosses.....would like to seriously give any assistance to bringing this little guy home to his family....its a terribly sad case that needs a real break....I think you guys have done a pretty good job of winnowing things down....now if there was just a little physical evidence to lend a hand.

Keep forgetting to add that ER didn't say outright that Dylan's phone was old - but she did mention that he had outgrown it. IMO that would imply he had that phone for a while surely - like more than just a few months for example?

My 13yo's phone is in pristine condition because for the last 3 years, it has been sitting uncharged in a drawer for weeks at a time. Every now and then he makes noises about getting a new one, and I just snort at him as I am already paying for one he is not interested in.

So if Dylan's is getting older, and has had heavy use, it isn't inconceivable that it could have just died IMO.

A theory anyway - his phone stopped working in the car on the way home to Vallecito, and this would not look any different to suddenly being out of charge. The phone gets plugged into the charger before bed, and then when Dylan reaches for it the next morning, assuming it's charged - but it's dead.

FWIW as far as using the landline goes - I don't know the cell number of my 13yo, and I only know my 15yo's because it was purchased at the same time as mine and the number is identical to mine except for the last digit. I don't know any of my immediate family's numbers come to think of it - they are all stored in my phones (landline included).

I keep telling people that my memory for phone/pin numbers has reached maximum absorption point! :)

:moo:

True, but I bet he knew his mom's landline number. It was his home phone number. Most 13 yr olds are capable of remembering their home phone.
And he had a computer and wifi there. So he could have IM'd or messaged or emailed his mom or brother to tell them his cell was dead. And also messaged his friend to say he missed his ride. And he had an i-pod reportedly. So most of those can text if you have a broken cell. And there might have been a log of previous texts showing him some of the numbers he needed.

Not sure how else to phrase this possibility another way but I will try again.

Let's say Dylan's phone and/or battery kicks the bucket around 8pm. (like for REAL dead, won't turn on, won't hold a charge)

Dylan just thinks the battery is uncharged so he plugs it in. (he doesn't know that it is for real dead)

Scenario #1 - It never makes another sound that evening so he doesn't pick it up again, thinking it was charging perfectly fine... watches a movie/tv and eventually falls asleep. Thus dad doesn't know the phone is dead because Dylan isn't aware.

Scenario #2 - He falls asleep on the couch not long after they get back to dad's. It was a long day of traveling and he is never the wiser the phone isn't charging because it has kicked the bucket - thus dad doesn't know that either because Dylan didn't know to tell him.

Scenario #3 - He plugs in the phone to charge & it is charging just fine, watches some tv, stays up late, goes to sleep, phone kicks the bucket in the middle of the night. Dylan doesn't know thus dad doesn't know.

Dylan may have misunderstood dad when he told his friend he'd be there at 6:30am. Teens have selective hearing and no offense to the guys but I've noticed that males of any age don't always pay attention to detail or communicate effectively 100% of the time.

What I believe may have happened is that dad said; "If I take you in the morning you'd have to get up by 6:30am because I have to be in town very early." Dylan hears; "If I take you it will be early because I have to be in town by 6:30am."

Now when it came down to it this boy was exhausted that morning and decided he'd rather sleep in a bit and a couple of hours more of sleep was a higher on his list at that moment. 13 year old boys tend to sleep a lot and hard when they are going through "growth changes". I do not see this as being anything out of the ordinary for him to change his mind or not want to get up and bounce out the door that early.

I'm sure someone will misunderstand this post or not have read my other earlier posts but I'm hoping I won't have to circle back too many times before I start to make sense to everyone. LOL

My ex, the father of my son was very abusive to me in every way. He was and is verbally and emotionally abusive to our son. We had a love/hate relationship for years after our divorce. That being said he paid his child support on time, was flexible about visits and I was able to talk to him about our sons needs and what was best for him. I for one think MR probably "did something" to his son and it has nothing to do with ex bashing or my feelings for my ex, it is pure rational reasoning. MOO

With you 100%!!!! Nicely said! My ex husband and I are now best friends, we no longer hate each other, and we are much better parents for it. There was no bitter divorce, custody fight, or house problems. I am not judging MR from my experiences, I am judging him by what I know about him specifically.

bbm and just trying to keep thinking outside the box. What if Dylan was up, packed and ready and waiting outside for his dad close to the time (11:30?) he said he was going to be back? He might have had all his gear with him ready to go - kicking stones or tossing a ball outside, when someone else rolled by?

Well I can see this if the someone who rolled by was an acquaintance of MR. And Dylan also knew them well enough to accept a ride. But then you'd assume he would have been sitting in the front seat of the vehicle and MR would have passed them on his way home. Only one road in and out. Unless that person was intended to pick up Dylan and hide him away. Which I think we've pretty much ruled out at this point. But who knows.

In the case of an actual abduction from the front yard of the home, I can't see the perp making sure his fishing rod and backpack were also in the vehicle. Not to mention how difficult it would be to grab a teenage boy and his stuff without making a lot of noise. Although we don't know if any of the neighbours were home that day. We also don't know everything that Dylan had in his backpack that he had brought from home. If he had a weeks worth of clothing and other items packed in there, why would he have taken the entire thing to his friend's house for the day? And again, why the fishing rod? This is the same questions I have even if he left with someone he knew or he tried to make his own way.

And of course if he just went off to throw the rod in the river or the lake (which makes no sense to me considering the distance) to kill time, why take the backpack. There is always something that just doesn't seem to add up to me.

I just can't get past the fact that LE have not indicated in any way that Dylan was at the house Sunday evening or Monday morning. We have no information about dogs tracking his scent at the house, tread imprints from his shoes in the dirt or gravel in the driveway or in the yard, his recent DNA found on the couch, in the washroom, the kitchen, the television converter, the large glass door on the front of the house...nothing.

Common sense tells me that he just may not have ever been there.

MOO

Mmmm....well I'm not sure why they didn't have one back when his broke. Maybe there was a protest!

IDK... just saying some brands still make them, apparently. Maybe they were out? This is a big store, they have a lot of different brands and types. We were mainly looking at ones that have clearer sound, because our old phones sounded muffled, and I am hearing impaired.

Let's say Dylan's phone and/or battery kicks the bucket around 8pm.

Dylan just thinks the battery is uncharged so he plugs it in.

Scenario #1 - It never makes another sound that evening so he doesn't pick it up again, thinking it was charging perfectly fine... watches a movie/tv and eventually falls asleep. Thus dad doesn't know the phone is dead because Dylan isn't aware.

Scenario #2 - He falls asleep on the couch not long after they get back to dad's. It was a long day of traveling and he is never the wiser the phone isn't charging because it has kicked the bucket - thus dad doesn't know that either because Dylan didn't know to tell him.

Scenario #3 - He plugs in the phone to charge & it is charging just fine, watches some tv, stays up late, goes to sleep, phone kicks the bucket in the middle of the night. Dylan doesn't know thus dad doesn't know.

Dylan may have misunderstood dad when he told his friend he'd be there at 6:30am. Teens have selective hearing and no offense to the guys but I've noticed that males of any age don't always pay attention to detail or communicate effectively 100% of the time.

What I believe may have happened is that dad said; "If I take you in the morning you'd have to get up by 6:30am because I have to be in town very early." Dylan hears; "If I take you it will be early because I have to be in town by 6:30am."

Now when it came down to it this boy was exhausted that morning and decided he'd rather sleep in a bit and a couple of hours more of sleep was a higher on his list at that moment. 13 year old boys tend to sleep a lot and hard when they are going through "growth changes". I do not see this as being anything out of the ordinary for him to change his mind or not want to get up and bounce out the door that early.

I'm sure someone will misunderstand this post or not have read my other earlier posts but I'm hoping I won't have to circle back too many times before I start to make sense to everyone. LOL

All three of your scenarios are possible. So what do you propose happened AFTER his dad left then and Dylan finally woke up? What are your thoughts about his not leaving a note, not using the computer, not using the landline or Dialing O for operator to ask for a home phone # of friend if he forgot the numbers, etc. If we agree that the cellphone theories are plausible, let's move to the next step after he realizes he has no phone. Let's try to see if we can come up with what may have happened after that point.

I think there is a valuable lesson learned here... everyone get a piece of paper and write down all your important phone numbers!! I'm begging you. :please:

Keep forgetting to add that ER didn't say outright that Dylan's phone was old - but she did mention that he had outgrown it. IMO that would imply he had that phone for a while surely - like more than just a few months for example?

My 13yo's phone is in pristine condition because for the last 3 years, it has been sitting uncharged in a drawer for weeks at a time. Every now and then he makes noises about getting a new one, and I just snort at him as I am already paying for one he is not interested in.

So if Dylan's is getting older, and has had heavy use, it isn't inconceivable that it could have just died IMO.

Okay, let's go with the phone died at around 8 pm on Sunday night.

1. Why didn't Dylan use his dad's phone to call/text his mom?
2. Why didn't Dylan use the computer to communicate with his friends?
3. Why didn't his dad get him a phone when he was out running his errands?
4. Why hasn't his dad mentioned the phone dying at all?

Okay, let's go with he wouldn't get up to go with his dad; when he did wake up and lounging around watching TV and eating cereal, he realizes his phone had bit the dust.

1. Why didn't Dylan use the computer to communicate with his friends?
2. Why didn't Dylan use the computer to communicate with his mom to see what he should do about his phone?
3. Why didn't Dylan wait on his dad and tell him about his phone?

I have a hard time with no phone activity or computer activity...maybe one but not both......just saying

Snipped by me FootballMom - and I hear you! I can't tell you how many times I repeat things to my boys and their hearing is very selective. Mine will actually chuckle and tell me I am making things up! They aren't doing it in a rude way - they honestly think they are right and that I am just forgetful.
Anyhow, it's good to keep the alternative scenarios coming and IMO any of your scenarios look like possibilities.

If Dylan's phone died while texting R, he would have plugged it into charger ASAP and texted again. We have been saying for weeks now that you can text once you plug the phone in. He was not done with the conversation, IMO, and would have wanted to see his friend's response and answer him. If he was unable to text, he would have told his father, IMO, as he would have been worried about his phone for the next day.

I don't know what I am saying exactly, except it sounded to me as though Dylan was very concerned to make sure R was going to be ready to meet him and he sounded, IMO, anxious to get there. I cannot see in any way that Dylan would have just left his phone charging and gone to sleep. I also cannot see him not waking up eagerly to see his friend, no matter how early, after seeing those texts.

Let's say Dylan's phone and/or battery kicks the bucket around 8pm.

Dylan just thinks the battery is uncharged so he plugs it in.

I appreciate the thought that went into all your scenarios, FootballMom. But I think Dylan would do what my kids do...and what I do...when our phones are dying. He would charge it and use it at the same time. If he plugged it in to charge, he could still use it to chat with his friend Ryan...or with his mom. If it wasn't working, I think he would have called his mom and told her from dad's landline...or at least told dad. I can't believe a 13 year old would go to bed at 8 or 9 pm...but anything is possible.

My feeling is that Dylan's convo with Ryan wasn't really over....but it ended because Ryan never heard back from Dylan that night. Of course, Ryan was excited too and that's why he was up and waiting early the next morning. That Dylan would not also be excited enough to rise and shine doesn't seem likely. He was supposed to arrive around 6:30....but dad didn't even try to wake him until 7:30? Nothing seems to settle right with me on this.

If Dylan's phone died while texting R, he would have plugged it into charger ASAP and texted again. We have been saying for weeks now that you can text once you plug the phone in. He was not done with the conversation, IMO, and would have wanted to see his friend's response and answer him. If he was unable to text, he would have told his father, IMO, as he would have been worried about his phone for the next day.

I don't know what I am saying exactly, except it sounded to me as though Dylan was very concerned to make sure R was going to be ready to meet him and he sounded, IMO, anxious to get there. I cannot see in any way that Dylan would have just left his phone charging and gone to sleep. I also cannot see him not waking up eagerly to see his friend, no matter how early, after seeing those texts.

Jinx.

If he had his stuff packed up ands waiting at the door, then it would have still been there if it was a random kidnapping.
If they saw him outside either down by the river or just goofing around they could have followed him back & into the house. Dylan could have told them his dad was due back any second so they grabbed him & his backpack to make it look like Dylan took off on his own and maybe buying a little more time. Maybe they took his backpack because they were planning to keep him for awhile. I struggle a little more with trying to decide what "reasons" run through the mind of an abductor.

But I don't believe all of the other 'coincidences' that would have to happen for him to not contact anyone that morning.
I'm not so sure they all could be considered "coincidences".

His battery would have to die, then be completely dead forever,
Not all that hard to rationalize this occurring given ER's comments about his phone.

and then he had to not know anyones number, including his moms landline, so he could not call anyone.
I would doubt he'd remember mom's work number by memory if it was in his contact list. I don't know ANYONE's number and even struggle with remembering my son's. That isn't a coincidence, it is a repercussion of a dead phone.

And then he had to have been blocked from the computer to not be able to IM anyone or message anyone to say his cell was dead and he missed his ride.
Most people have passwords on their computers. That isn't a big coincidence. Dylan couldn't call to ask what the passcode is because he doesn't remember his phone number which is again just a repercussion.

And then he would have to be rude and not leave a message for his dad, saying he was leaving and not waiting for a ride, and telling him his cell was dead and broken.
This is why I do not believe he took off on his own. If someone offered him a ride it wasn't for a good reason (obviously) and they had no intention of allowing Dylan to leave a note... UNLESS to get him to go quietly/not suspect anything they allowed him to leave a note for dad but took it with them when Dylan wasn't looking.

Which is another odd thing. Because if he woke up and found out his cell was broken for good, wouldnt he wait an hour for dad so he could possibly get a new battery or a replacement trac phone? I know my kids would have.
How do we know what time he woke up? He might not have been able to fall back asleep after dad left. He may have slept for another 30 minutes or 3 hours. If he got up at 8:30 or 9am he would still have more than a couple of hours to sit around and wait until dad got back... It isn't that hard to imagine he got bored, restless, went outside OR someone came to the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jseikel