CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to stop visiting this site for a while because the worrying and stress of poor little Dylan was eating at me day and night and was just becoming too much for me.

I think it is time for another break, as I don't seem to be able to state my opinions in a very good way.

I apologize very, very sincerely if I have offended anyone here.

Babbi, I had a really really nice reply to you but because I didn't click on the "remember me' or something like that, I got timed out!

In a nutshell, what I wanted to say is that there is no need to apologize to me. None. Your comment was NOT taken as offensive by me in any way. I do appreciate it though. I do tend to take the personal comments towards me personally (yours was not)

What I wanted to say is that I appreciate all the varied opinions, I have looked at what little information we have from other points of views and I think that this is what the forum is for. We (in general) are not going to always agree, there will be some that feel that MR is heavily involved and some that will feel that he has no involvement. IMO that's what makes us all unique and agreeing to disagree is ok. I don't mind anyone that believes MR is not involved, it's their opinion and I have mine. Respect of that is something that I really enjoy.

I personally do not like when ER is criticized for her actions on the DP show because they were well earned IMO after 96 days (which was how long it was from the day Dylan went missing until ER was first able to speak with MR). IMO MR blocking her calls, blocking her text messages and refusing to talk to her is a form of abuse, it's cruel, it's hateful and it is not warranted. Her yelling on DP was IMO a reaction to what MR dealt to her for 96 days and it was IMO a release of emotions by ER after of 96 days of not getting anything from MR. I don't and won't understand how a man can ignore the mother of his missing child for 96 days or 96 minutes or 96 weeks, whatever amount of time, and then cry foul when she jumps his arse on the only forum that she was given in all that time. I can't understand how ER is made to be the bully and MR is made to be the innocent victim of a horrible person. I just don't get it. (AGAIN YOU BABBI DID NOT DO THAT, I'M TALKING IN GENERAL TERMS AND JUMPING OFF OF YOUR POST)

The DP reference was MR's accounting of what happened, there was more to that entire incident that I witnessed first hand. Which is DH did contact that woman and the woman did not return calls or text to DH. I do question why, if it was so danged important that this woman hold a raffle that MR did not say, hey go for it. He is an adult, he is the father of a missing child and he of all people does not need to get approval, permission or blessings from anyone (including ER) to do anything to help support his missing child. If MR had held a raffle, I would have been saying - look he's actively doing something. It is yet again his deflection, it is someone else's fault. When and where does HIS responsibility come in. Why does it always have to be someone else doing it for him?

references to you, we, your are general and the above is IMO

I am really confused about this, too. I have a router. I can hook up 3 computers to it. But then I have a separate guest password for up to 10 users to be able to connect online.

So, a router is wifi, right?
A wireless router is pretty much the same thing as wifi. A hardwired router isn't.

Unless they are already built in to the device, like smartphones, laptops, even other computers, right? I haven't used any kind of adapter (except the main computer that is connected to the router) for my router since we bought our new one - everyone connects without one.
I believe all smartphones and probably all laptops these days come with a wireless adapter in them. I'm not sure about newer pcs since I normally build my own, but I'm sure most, if not all, can be bought with a card/adapter already installed. MOO

I had to stop visiting this site for a while because the worrying and stress of poor little Dylan was eating at me day and night and was just becoming too much for me.

I think it is time for another break, as I don't seem to be able to state my opinions in a very good way.

I feel the same as you, but I don't apologize for anything.

It's too bad we can't voice our true opinions.

I feel the same as you, but I don't apologize for anything.

It's too bad we can't voice our true opinions.

BBM...

That is NOT TRUE. All opinions have been welcomed here. The only time a post has been removed is if its against our terms of service and Rules. That's it.

Ima

Do not apologize for stating your opinions and thoughts. Dylan has touched so many lives and most people are very passionate about him. That passion comes out in the posts. it's good to look at every possibility even if it's what you (general) believe to have happened. We are all here wanting the same thing, for Dylan to come home. I have had to step away when it has gotten to be too much for me, but I always come back because I know there are some very caring and smart people on here. :hug:

If there's a cable (ethernet or USB) going to each computer, it's not a wireless router. You can get wireless routers for any kind of internet connection (cable, dsl, satellite), but then you also need wireless cards or adapters for each computer too.

Thank you! I did not know how to explain it, I'm not tech savvy.

Yes, I do agree with this, but I was thinking if she has 2 computers set up as a home network with a router, wouldn't it be wireless? I mean why would someone set up 2 computers in a household side by side connected by cables? Do they even make non-wireless routers? If they do, who the heck buys them? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I've seen quite a few things that don't make sense to me.
I guess wireless and wi-fi are somehow different, but if you can walk around with internet in your hand (phone), it all comes out the same to me; as long as my phone plan isn't charged for internet use I don't really care, lol.

The computers are not side by side, he has a laptop and there is no wire or cable connected to the two. The router is plugged into my desktop, as well as the modem for the satellite, but neither one is connected to each other. When they installed our satellite connection, the tech programmed his laptop into the router, and gave him a CD to install it on his computer. It may be wireless, technically, but it is not wi-fi, I know that much. My husband and I do not connect to the internet on our phones, we don't have iPhones, but my son has one. To get wi fi we have to be in a bigger town that is about 15-20 miles from us. Even if we wanted wi fi, there is none available in our area because we are in the country. The only time my son can connect to the internet through his iPhone is if we are in that town... out where we live we can't get it.
I hope that explains a little better. I know it might be hard to understand, but us country folk have to forego some of this technology because of where we live. But I prefer the peace and quiet. That is why I don't think Mark would have wi-fi, seeing as he's so far out of town.

The computers are not side by side, he has a laptop and there is no wire or cable connected to the two. The router is plugged into my desktop, as well as the modem for the satellite, but neither one is connected to each other. When they installed our satellite connection, the tech programmed his laptop into the router, and gave him a CD to install it on his computer. It may be wireless, technically, but it is not wi-fi, I know that much. My husband and I do not connect to the internet on our phones, we don't have iPhones, but my son has one. To get wi fi we have to be in a bigger town that is about 15-20 miles from us. Even if we wanted wi fi, there is none available in our area because we are in the country. The only time my son can connect to the internet through his iPhone is if we are in that town... out where we live we can't get it.
I hope that explains a little better. I know it might be hard to understand, but us country folk have to forego some of this technology because of where we live. But I prefer the peace and quiet. That is why I don't think Mark would have wi-fi, seeing as he's so far out of town.

BBM: As I said, you have wireless. That was my only point. I'm not all that tech savvy either, but I do know that unless a computer is connected directly to it's source via a cable, it is wireless. As far as I'm concerned wireless works the same way as wi-fi. You are wireless though, which is exactly what we were discussing.
If Mark has internet (which we understand is true) it was either through his satellite provider or wi-fi. Either way, it would have wireless capability.

Are you saying he has dial up service if he wants the internet for his 2 computers?

There are more options for internet service than wireless or dialup. As I said earlier, he could have internet service through a satellite, or through his landline. It is not dialup, because you can still use the phone while the computer is online, but it is not wi fi. My guess is that being so far from town, there wouldn't be wi-fi available where he lives, but I could be wrong. We live 2 miles from the closest town, and wi-fi is not available out here. I'm not even sure they have it in that town. Doesn't there have to be a tower or something for it to connect to?

I just spoke to someone who told me that if you have land line phone service and a wireless router you can have the phone company set it up to get the internet into your house. Plug in the router and you have wireless. You don't even need a satellite or a cable provider. Just a wireless router and a phone.

ETA: Same person just told me wireless internet is Wi-fi. Same thing. If you are not plugged into a cable it is wireless. Wireless is the same as wi-fi.

Yes, I do agree with this, but I was thinking if she has 2 computers set up as a home network with a router, wouldn't it be wireless? I mean why would someone set up 2 computers in a household side by side connected by cables? Do they even make non-wireless routers? If they do, who the heck buys them? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I've seen quite a few things that don't make sense to me.
I guess wireless and wi-fi are somehow different, but if you can walk around with internet in your hand (phone), it all comes out the same to me; as long as my phone plan isn't charged for internet use I don't really care, lol.

I guess this is pretty much O/T at this point, but we have 3 computers, and my daughter has an iPod (given to her by her BF, so I don't really know what kind it is, just that she can text me on it and vice-versa).

We have DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) Internet which enters our home through the telephone wire connection. Our modem is connected to that phone line. It is a multi-purpose modem (Ethernet & wireless), and so my daughter's computer upstairs connects via a wireless receiver (a USB device), and her iPod when used in the home connects via wi-fi as well with a built-in receiver.

We have two computers downstairs which are both in our dining room, next to each other on one table (not the dining room table), which are both connected to the modem via Ethernet (wired). (This is a set-up we've had for years as I have four daughters who had to take turns using the computer(s), and it worked out well as we could always see what they were up to on the 'net). My second-oldest (almost 19) has one in her room now because she uses it for her schoolwork now, and doesn't get distracted being downstairs in the middle of everything.)

Three of these computers are set up in our "home network" where if we wanted to we could access files in other computers, but we don't use that feature. I'm sure my daughter will use the wireless or wi-fi with her new laptop she purchased while at home as well. We don't have any "smart phones" or anything, so I'm clueless as to how those work, exactly. I do know that with a "netbook" I had a few years back I could connect anywhere that had free wi-fi available - I think they may be referred to as "hot spots"?

Incidentally, my netbook got fried when my two youngest were connected to the internet at a McDonald's a few years back when they were visiting their grandparents in another state. We don't know if it was some virus they picked up, or if someone hacked it, or what... I had let them take it with so they could communicate with us without running up their G-ma's phone bill as the McD's was within walking distance. ;)

OK, sorry if all of this was covered. Just giving more examples of why one might have more than one computer connected to a modem with ethernet - even when wi-fi was available. It just doesn't make sense to send things over wi-fi when a more secure option is available, imo...

Anyway, I don't really understand why wi-fi access would be a factor. Unless you are trying to access a "hot spot" or at a place where free wi-fi is available, the reception wouldn't be a factor at all.

For instance, unless the connection through the phone line is having trouble, then the wireless reception within my home (and presumably for some of my closer neighbors - if they had my p/w) would not be subject to interference at all. The fact that MR's house is out in the wilderness wouldn't make a difference at all if the actual signal coming into the modem or modem
+ router that supplies wireless within his home (if the signal is fed to the home via DSL or Cable) is working properly.

Also, it's completely possible to have wireless capability through a modem, but to not use the wireless and not know the p/w. Until my daughter moved her computer upstairs we didn't need to know the wireless p/w - we had to dig through our receipts and such to find the one the service techs set up for us.

Sorry this is so long - especially as I'm sure this has been discussed. Just wanted to add a different perspective as to why someone could have access to wireless reception, but not use it, or even not know what the p/w was to access the wi-fi part of the network. Also, why wireless access being "spotty" in regard to phone reception, wouldn't be applicable if you were trying to connect via wi-fi to an internet source within a home. Phone reception is completely different than household wireless.

Hope this helps in some way vs. causing more confusion. And, if this doesn't help at all, then please just skip over this post! LOL :)

I just spoke to someone who told me that if you have land line phone service and a wireless router you can have the phone company set it up to get the internet into your house. Plug in the router and you have wireless. You don't even need a satellite or a cable provider. Just a wireless router and a phone.

ETA: Same person just told me wireless internet is Wi-fi. Same thing. If you are not plugged into a cable it is wireless. Wireless is the same as wi-fi.

Yep, that's what we have which I just wrote a really long post about (typical for me to be so wordy... lol).

Bless our mods :blowkiss: Praying for Dylan's safe return.

BBM: As I said, you have wireless. That was my only point. I'm not all that tech savvy either, but I do know that unless a computer is connected directly to it's source via a cable, it is wireless. As far as I'm concerned wireless works the same way as wi-fi. You are wireless though, which is exactly what we were discussing.
If Mark has internet (which we understand is true) it was either through his satellite provider or wi-fi. Either way, it would have wireless capability.

Are we positive that there is no cable provider, or land-line internet service providers that supply internet service to the homes in MR's neighborhood? If he has land-line phone service, I'd be pretty positive he could have DSL internet service (it's definitely more reliable than cable, or satellite, imo - at least it was for us out in CO).

ETA: There are several providers in Bayfield that one could get DSL service from - one is CenturyLink (formerly Qwest) which offers Internet, Digital TV, and phone service. Another provider would be Comcast (which when I was in CO was a cable internet and TV provider, but I haven't checked into their offered services for Bayfield in particular).

There are more options for internet service than wireless or dialup. As I said earlier, he could have internet service through a satellite, or through his landline. It is not dialup, because you can still use the phone while the computer is online, but it is not wi fi. My guess is that being so far from town, there wouldn't be wi-fi available where he lives, but I could be wrong. We live 2 miles from the closest town, and wi-fi is not available out here. I'm not even sure they have it in that town. Doesn't there have to be a tower or something for it to connect to?

BBM - That would be a DSL connection, otherwise known as a Digital Subscriber Line, previously known as a Digital Subscriber Loop. (I'll be correcting my previous post which referred to it as a dedicated service line - not sure where I got that from...)

ETA: More info. on DSL internet service - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line"]Digital subscriber line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

That is correct. If there is no physical cable attached to your laptop and you can connect to the internet it means you have a wifi signal. All that is needed is internet service and a wifi modem or a wireless router.

Investigators learned that Mark met Dylan at the Durango-La Plata County Airport at about 5:45 PM Sunday, November 18. Investigators confirmed that Dylan arrived at Mark's home on Sunday at about 8:00 PM after stops at Wal-Mart and McDonald's in Durango.

Investigators learned that Mark has said he last saw Dylan at around 7:30 AM Monday, November 19, 2012 at his home in Vallecito when Mark left for Durango to run errands. Investigators have also learned Mark returned home at about 11:30 AM and discovered that Dylan was gone.

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1149

BBM

I know we touched up on this previously. The learned/confirmed may mean....

learned: from another source (airport/walmart pictures or the Marshal's Office or someone else talking about what Mark told them or before they did official interview with Mark)???

confirmed: LE has enough or viable information that would hold up in court???

JMO

Investigators learned that Mark met Dylan at the Durango-La Plata County Airport at about 5:45 PM Sunday, November 18. Investigators confirmed that Dylan arrived at Mark's home on Sunday at about 8:00 PM after stops at Wal-Mart and McDonald's in Durango.

Investigators learned that Mark has said he last saw Dylan at around 7:30 AM Monday, November 19, 2012 at his home in Vallecito when Mark left for Durango to run errands. Investigators have also learned Mark returned home at about 11:30 AM and discovered that Dylan was gone.

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1149

BBM

I know we touched up on this previously. The learned/confirmed may mean....

learned: from another source (airport/walmart pictures or the Marshal's Office or someone else talking about what Mark told them or before they did official interview with Mark)???

confirmed: LE has enough or viable information that would hold up in court???

JMO

It is all worded so strangely isn't it? I would think 'confirmed' means just that. The rest I think is just Mark's word.

Modem is what is provided to you by your internet service provider (isp) to connect to the internet.
Router gets attached to modem to make it wifi capable (if it's not a wifi modem-nowadays most ISP's provide you with a wifi modem thus no need for a router)
Receiver is attached to additional DESKTOP's in the home wanting to access the internet since desktop's do not generally have the wireless receiver built in like a laptop does

Most ISP's now provide you with a modem with wifi built in so there's no need to attach a router to it. If you have an additional desktop and you'd like to connect to the internet without running wires from computer #1 to computer #2 you will still need to attach a receiver to desktop #2 to pick up the wireless signal. Laptop's, smart phones, iPods etc have the receiver built in.

I'm only clarifying this because I see some referring to their modem as a router. These are 2 different things. A router gets attached to the modem to make it wifi capable. Nowadays there is no need for this.

Thanks for the correction in regard to modem/router... I realize I did that exact thing in my recent posts on this topic... I should know better! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member