CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, MR made contact with the wrong LE jurisdiction. He contacted Dylan's mother. He was available when LE came to his home that evening. He was available when EH, CR, MH arrived to La Plata County. He was available to LE. He continues to be available to LE. I don't care who reported Dylan missing first. I do not think that the way it happened can tell us much of anything besides to look at how different people handle a crisis. This is the end of my talking about who called who first and what it means. :seeya:

so the marshalls office wasn't responsible for the Bayfield area?

I'm sure I read that Vallecito was considered part of Bayfield, same zip code etc

To me, MR made contact with the wrong LE jurisdiction. He contacted Dylan's mother. He was available when LE came to his home that evening. He was available when EH, CR, MH arrived to La Plata County. He was available to LE. He continues to be available to LE. I don't care who reported Dylan missing first. I do not think that the way it happened can tell us much of anything besides to look at how different people handle a crisis. This is the end of my talking about who called who first and what it means. :seeya:

BBM I don't remember seeing anything that said MR was available when they came to town. Do you mean he was availabel to ER but did not want to talk to her or was available to LE?

Can you please provide a link that states he was available (as fact or a statement from LE) or it that your opinon?

Rather than dig back I wanted to tell you that what you suggested made perfect sense to me. If I were to go to the local PD to find it closed I would then call them. Our local PD closes their doors at 4:00 PM, since I already know that I probably wouldn't go up there, I would just call, but if I didn't already know that, and knowing that local PD patrols 24/7, I would go up there first, if I was already out. If I were at home and needing them, I would call them to come to my house.

MR has been quoted as saying he talked to someone when he went to the Marshal's office. The point was that if the office was closed and there was no one there, it would be difficult to talk to anyone.

I'm sure I read that Vallecito was considered part of Bayfield, same zip code etc

I don't know if this helps, but there are parts of the town where I live in now that have the same city name and same zip code, but fall outside of city limits so the sheriff's office is who those people have to call, not the city PD. It's pretty weird since city PD could get there quicker, but it just happens to be the way it is here.

MR has been quoted as saying he talked to someone when he went to the Marshal's office. The point was that if the office was closed and there was no one there, it would be difficult to talk to anyone.

Maybe someone was there working late and that's who Mark "contacted" as is stated in the March 19th press release.

Bayfield is a town. And the Marshall's office is their LE bureau and only serves the town of Bayfield. IIRC population around 1600. Zip code is irrelevant to LE jurisdictions. Vallecito is classified as a "populated place" and falls in the LE jurisdiction of the La Plata Sheriff.

But the office is not truly closed, there is always one person in the office. The dispatcher taking the calls. As long as there is LE patrolling the streets there needs to be someone there to answer the phones and dispatch the calls. For all we know, the dispatcher was there, they called in a patrolman and he spoke to a patrolman.

I believe the Marshall's office is responsible for Bayfield proper (within the city/town limits). The Sheriff's office is responsible for areas of the county outside of any city limits - rural areas, unincorporated, etc. That's the way it is here, and other states I'm familiar with, and I'm guessing it is there too. MOO

Other things in this case have made me think this too, and it's certainly likely given that Bayfield/Vallecito is not a big community and he lived there quite a while.

The words MR used "wellness check" - I'm not any kind of expert but IMO that sounds like something LE would have said to him which makes me believe that's what the marshals offered, not what he asked for. Those don't sound like words that MR would naturally use. "Bang him on the head" does.

:twocents:

BBM

I was going back through things, and this stuck out to me as well, but in a bit of a different way. If Dylan was supposed to be in his custody, then how would the Marshal offer a wellness check?

Where would DR be for them to go to and check on him - where did MR say he was at that they could go an look for him?

What did MR say to the Marshal that he spoke with that would involve any kind of a wellness check?

For those not familiar here is a link to give a bit more information on exactly what a "wellness check" is.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5823955_police-welfare-check_.html

Honestly, I think where MR may have gotten that wording from was from the SO that would've shown up at MR's home after ER reported DR missing.

THIS IS SPECULATION: could it be that the first contact SO made with MR was conducted AS a "Wellness Check"? Upon learning at that time that DR was not where he was supposed to be it would then graduate from a wellness check into a bonafide missing persons situation. ER would still remain as the person who officially contacted police even if at first they said they would do a welfare check.

Like I said, this is all speculation, but the "wellness check" wording is extremely intriguing to me. Without a physical place for MR to direct the LE to actually check on DR there is no way for them to carry one out.

All of the above is MOO! :cow:

I don't know if this helps, but there are parts of the town where I live in now that have the same city name and same zip code, but fall outside of city limits so the sheriff's office is who those people have to call, not the city PD. It's pretty weird since city PD could get there quicker, but it just happens to be the way it is here.

thanks, but unless you live in Vallecito/Bayfield it doesn't help at all. Do we have any Bayfield or Vallecito locals on the board?

But the office is not truly closed, there is always one person in the office. The dispatcher taking the calls. As long as there is LE patrolling the streets there needs to be someone there to answer the phones and dispatch the calls. For all we know, the dispatcher was there, they called in a patrolman and he spoke to a patrolman.

BBM - Are we (in general) absolutely positive that this is the way the department operates in Bayfield? Or, do the calls get routed directly to the Sheriff's Office after the Marshal's office closes?

AZGrandma, if you see this - are you familiar with whether or not there is always a dispatcher at the Marshal's Office, and whether or not the Bayfield Marshals are always on patrol?

In such a small town, on a limited budget, I believe it could be possible that all calls would be routed to the Sheriff's office (particularly in the off-season). I don't think we can take our individual experiences in regard to how our local police department works and necessarily apply that to the procedures in Bayfield.

If someone has already provided the information that proves someone is always available to speak with at the office, even after it is closed, then if someone could help me out with a link to the website, or post, etc... it would be much appreciated.

The way I'm seeing it is this... If the Bayfield Marshal's office always has a dispatcher and patrol officers standing by, then why would ER have to have called the Sheriff's office in the first place?

Should not the missing person's report be filed with the Marshals office instead of going to a higher office?

BBM - Are we (in general) absolutely positive that this is the way the department operates in Bayfield? Or, do the calls get routed directly to the Sheriff's Office after the Marshal's office closes?

AZGrandma, if you see this - are you familiar with whether or not there is always a dispatcher at the Marshal's Office, and whether or not the Bayfield Marshals are always on patrol?

In such a small town, on a limited budget, I believe it could be possible that all calls would be routed to the Sheriff's office (particularly in the off-season). I don't think we can take our individual experiences in regard to how our local police department works and necessarily apply that to the procedures in Bayfield.

If someone has already provided the information that proves someone is always available to speak with at the office, even after it is closed, then if someone could help me out with a link to the website, or post, etc... it would be much appreciated.

The way I'm seeing it is this... If the Bayfield Marshal's office always has a dispatcher and patrol officers standing by, then why would ER have to have called the Sheriff's office in the first place?

Should not the missing person's report be filed with the Marshals office instead of going to a higher office?

I volunteer to be the guinea pig. I will call Bayfield SO tomorrow and ask the jurisdiction question and this question for us all. I can do that. If it will answer all our questions it seems like the best bet we all have. Is that allowed?

Redhead72

someone explained this many threads ago, but I'll never remember the poster, or find it now

best I can recall, is that the Sheriff is a one man dept, like a peace officer

office in public bldg, like a town hall?

not much help, but maybe that will help in your research

HTH

The second poly was mentioned in the show. Several times.

Well you're up then I guess, because I just searched both transcript documents several times and in several different ways, and I can't find any mention of LE asking MR to take a second poly.

Would you please post the quotes of where it's mentioned?

Thank you

KateNY, have you found anything? Thanks

nope Cheese, hadn't had a chance yet

and didn't realize there were transcripts posted for DrP (my bad)

tx

Redhead72

someone explained this many threads ago, but I'll never remember the poster, or find it now

HTH

You mean the Marshals office in Bayfield and not the Sheriff's office, correct?

I do vaguely remember reading that on these threads somewhere as well.

Maybe someone was there working late and that's who Mark "contacted" as is stated in the March 19th press release.

Oh! You're right. It doesn't say "called" at all. It says "contacted". :facepalm: I certainly can't take that as meaning he didn't go there.

Thanks, Ranch.

Mark Redwine, Dylan's father, had previously contacted the Bayfield Marshal's Office on the 19th attempting to learn if they had seen Dylan

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1149

I've got to get some sleep now, so I wish you all peaceful rest. Praying for comfort for all of Dylan's loved ones, praying that somehow he can be found safe and come home, praying most of all that the truth finds the light of day, no matter what it may be. Answers to end the longing and suffering...
Goodnight!
:eek:fftobed:

ETA: No problem, KateNY! I knew what you meant. I'll try to look for the answers tomorrow. :)

Redhead72

HTH

Best I can tell from their website is they are located in town hall building(my local is too, gotta love small towns, LOL) but they do have 6 officers that their site shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne