CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BUt wouldn't an i-pod be an electronic device?

I included the i-pod in my post. I guess I didn't make myself clear, so I'll try to rephrase it (only for you, I had decided I wouldn't respond to any comments about it!):peace:

If he had said that the last text was sent from his cell phone at 9:37, people would be convinced that he could have sent messages through one of the other devices later that night. I think he said it so we/they would know no other messages were sent later from any of the devices. :drumroll:

MOO

No meaning behind the emotes, I just had to use some.

I included the i-pod in my post. I guess I didn't make myself clear, so I'll try to rephrase it (only for you, I had decided I wouldn't respond to any comments about it!):peace:

If he had said that the last text was sent from his cell phone at 9:37, people would be convinced that he could have sent messages through one of the other devices later that night. I think he said it so we/they would know no other messages were sent later from any of the devices. :drumroll:

MOO

No meaning behind the emotes, I just had to use some.

I like the new emotes too. This is my new fave:

:trainwreck:

Don't stop posting because we interpret what we read differently. All of the different views are what keeps conversation going !
And Confusion and Ghost.......I'm sure there was a geek in there somewhere ;)

Good Night DYLAN !

It's why I stopped posting. Hi everyone :seeya: The new emotes are cool.:drumroll: :trainwreck:

Hope you are all well. Still always thinking about our Dyl!

BBM - If they said electronic device instead of cell phone to get people to stop speculating what kind of device was being used, wouldn't they have just said: last communication was a text from his cell phone at 9:37 or
last communication was a call from his cell phone at 9:37

IMO they didn't say specifically what type of device for a reason, IDK what the reason was. It was a carefully crafted choice of words. I say that because people don't typically use the words "electronic device" they typically use familiar words, cell phone, ipad, ipod, email.

His Last Electronic Communication!

Well my personal theory on the last electric communique is ( drumroll please ) I don't know if it matters if it was a cell phone, ipod, laptop, desktop or landline. There has been tons of discussion about it and mostly I steer clear of it because I don't see what it matters. So someone can point me to the shiny needle if there is one. After 9:37 Dylan made no more statements to anyone of any kind in any form on ANY DEVICE. Is there a reason pertinent to finding Dylan that it matters from what device? His cell phone is MIA and AN IPOD , his or MR's , is in police possession. Clearly that IPOD shows no clues to Dylans' whereabouts or we would know he is by now. I just figure it is one of those things, like so many in this case, that has been beat to death , conversation wise because we have so few really hard facts to discuss. So ,,,,,,, please tell me why knowing what device makes a difference as to his whereabouts ? *( bracing for the onslaught, lol)

Well my personal theory on the last electric communique is ( drumroll please ) I don't know if it matters if it was a cell phone, ipod, laptop, desktop or landline. There has been tons of discussion about it and mostly I steer clear of it because I don't see what it matters. So someone can point me to the shiny needle if there is one. After 9:37 Dylan made no more statements to anyone of any kind in any form on ANY DEVICE. Is there a reason pertinent to finding Dylan that it matters from what device? His cell phone is MIA and AN IPOD , his or MR's , is in police possession. Clearly that IPOD shows no clues to Dylans' whereabouts or we would know he is by now. I just figure it is one of those things, like so many in this case, that has been beat to death , conversation wise because we have so few really hard facts to discuss. So ,,,,,,, please tell me why knowing what device makes a difference as to his whereabouts ? *( bracing for the onslaught, lol)

Well...no one besides Dylan would be mistaken for Dylan in a live phone call. Text from phone could be someone else posing as Dylan. Don;t think this is what happened but *could have.* Text from Dylan's ipod to his phone (long a theory of mine) would indicate that something had happened to his phone and it was not in his possession so he was, presumably, at MR's, trying to find his phone. This would both place him at MR's and indicate a problem earlier in the night with the phone that we have not heard about. Ipod text can only be used in the proximity of a known wi-fi connection. Dylan would not, for example, be roaming outdoors at night AND texting from his ipod at the same time. Not possible. So the "electronic communication" does give me some clues about where Dylan might have been at 9:37 if, in fact, he was the one issuing the "electronic communication." sorry to geek out but I appreciate keeping Dylan's thread alive. I don't know what to think, exactly, about the 9:37 text. My best theory is text from ipod...probably to phone or last ping from cell phone itself. For ex, texts stop after 8:01 but phone still pings. Phone stops pinging at 9:37.

Hi ya'll, I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to a request to come onto this thread and help answer a few SAR questions. Been crazy-buzy on this end and don't always have time to catch up on all the SAR requests for cases.
Would someone who is following the case closely be so kind as to give me a 'bullet list' of Dylans case (especially the SAR components) so that I can answer as many questions as possible without have to sift through everything else? Thank you so much in advance if this is possible.

Oriah

It does not matter at all. All they said was that was his last electronic communication. So someone received a message at 9 37! After that poof!

You make some good points. Maybe one reason people keep talking about it is because back in the beginning it was suggested that perhaps his battery died on his cell and he may not have had a charger. That's when we thought his last comminication was at 8:00. Then it was brought up that he could have texted from his IPod, which I didn't even know was possible, or his dad's computer.
I'm like you, I really don't see what difference it makes. And as far as how LE put it, they're pretty good about throwing technical or formal language out there to confuse people. Instead of clarifying WHICH device it was, they just say "electronic device" and leave us to wonder. I don't know why they do that, but they must be trained to use formal terms instead of common everyday language. Like saying someone was taken into custody, or apprehended, instead of saying they arrested them. It's just cop speak, that's all.

I'm not convinced the "electronic device" that was used for that last text message matters either. I sure would like to know what was in that text, though, as I've wondered if it was actually Dylan typing the text at that point. If the text was something like "OK" anyone could have typed that text in response to a question from Dylan's friend. So was the text somethng that clearly sounded like Dylan or not? To me that is a more interesting unanswered question.

And taking it down an entirely different path, saying that the last "electronic" communication from Dylan was at 9:37 p.m. possibly suggests some other type of non-electronic communication--visual sighting, Dylan's voice heard by a neighbor, etc.

I seem to always interpret things differently from the majority, which is a small part of why I don't post much anymore. My understanding of the press release was that he said "electronic device" rather than cell phone to get people to stop speculating on whether or not he had sent messages to someone later through a different source (email, ipod, IM, etc.)

BBM
OT - a perfect example, I read that as "it's all geek to them" the first time. :blushing:

I'm pretty confident you are correct. After 9:37 nobody received any communication from Dylan. Dylan didn't use his phone, iPod, Mark's internet or landline - nothing. LE tends to choose their words carefully for a reason, especially when releasing a prepared statement, and this seems to be the logical reason for using the specific phrase "electronic device".

I'm not convinced the "electronic device" that was used for that last text message matters either. I sure would like to know what was in that text, though, as I've wondered if it was actually Dylan typing the text at that point. If the text was something like "OK" anyone could have typed that text in response to a question from Dylan's friend. So was the text somethng that clearly sounded like Dylan or not? To me that is a more interesting unanswered question.

And taking it down an entirely different path, saying that the last "electronic" communication from Dylan was at 9:37 p.m. possibly suggests some other type of non-electronic communication--visual sighting, Dylan's voice heard by a neighbor, etc.

BBM - I am thinking along these same lines. Elaine first stated the texts ended a little after 8. That makes me think that texts on the cell phone that she had access to records on did end then, and further texts came from another device. Those latter texts could be very unlike something Dylan wrote. Say, full words and sentences, rather than cryptic "IDK" type answers. Or rambling, or even bizarre.

Hi ya'll, I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to a request to come onto this thread and help answer a few SAR questions. Been crazy-buzy on this end and don't always have time to catch up on all the SAR requests for cases.
Would someone who is following the case closely be so kind as to give me a 'bullet list' of Dylans case (especially the SAR components) so that I can answer as many questions as possible without have to sift through everything else? Thank you so much in advance if this is possible.

Oriah

Dylan's case in brief: Reported missing from Vallecito Lake, CO on Nov. 19th from dad's house which is about 2+ miles upo the road from the actual lake. Lots of speculation that he may have been murdered and placed in the lake or ended up there in an accident.

Three different teams of dogs/handlers have come to Vallecito Lake and indicated hits for human remains. These hits are primarily strongest on the eastern shore (they built a coffer dam and searched last week) as well as the southern dam area. Why hits in different locations? Would a body on the shore that was moved after an hour or so still indicate strong hits five months later? Sarx thought not. Would a body that had been trapped pn something under water and then freed also still indicate at that area (as we are thinking about the dam)? Boats with sidescan sonar came and searched both areas and found them clean except for tree stump debris. No body found yet so why the hits?

Water temp in November was hovering around 35 degrees, I think. Been iced over from December to April. Ice free now, water temps at 42, when would a body float? Particularly in a high altitude area?

Scent dogs are of no obvious use now. HRD dogs might be. What would you suggest for an HRD ground search? Area is rugged and has been covered by snow. HRD and scent dogs have been used. Still no Dylan.

ETA: If a backpack was on a body, say for 2 months, then came off would it give off a strong scent or week scent and for how long after it was off the body?

I think those are the primary search questions....I know helicopters have done many flyovers of ground and lake, both initially and most recently with the thaw. Besides the obvious, what indicators are they looking for?

Thanks for anything you can help with. Been here awhile, the crowd is thinning and we're still all so desperate to bring Dylan home.

BBM - I am thinking along these same lines. Elaine first stated the texts ended a little after 8. That makes me think that texts on the cell phone that she had access to records on did end then, and further texts came from another device. Those latter texts could be very unlike something Dylan wrote. Say, full words and sentences, rather than cryptic "IDK" type answers. Or rambling, or even bizarre.

Thats the lines I've been thinking along too

Also I'm not convinced as yet that Dylans phone wasn't still operational until after at least 10am. Why? IMO its rather 'convenient' that MR just happened to go to F's house when a text message had been sent to Dylan that morning by R saying "come to Nando's". While it could have been a lucky guess, I'm less inclined to think so considering that MR said in one interview that he only knows where one or two of Dylans friends live so -

1. we know MR knew where T lived because he went to Ts house

2. Dylans best friends are R and W. We know Dylan had been in contact up until at least 8pm with R and R had sent Dylan a text at 9.27pm. IIRC W had moved to Durango.

What are other peoples thoughts about this?

ORIAH
wonder - if a body were "dismembered" would this account for HRD hits in various parts of the lake, and with stronger hits in particular areas?

If a body were placed or buried on land near a tributary that fed into the lake, (there are several of these feeding the reservoir) would this provide strong enough scent for dogs to hit on in the lake?

(sorry I know these are sadly sensitive questions)

Well...no one besides Dylan would be mistaken for Dylan in a live phone call. Text from phone could be someone else posing as Dylan. Don;t think this is what happened but *could have.* Text from Dylan's ipod to his phone (long a theory of mine) would indicate that something had happened to his phone and it was not in his possession so he was, presumably, at MR's, trying to find his phone. This would both place him at MR's and indicate a problem earlier in the night with the phone that we have not heard about. Ipod text can only be used in the proximity of a known wi-fi connection. Dylan would not, for example, be roaming outdoors at night AND texting from his ipod at the same time. Not possible. So the "electronic communication" does give me some clues about where Dylan might have been at 9:37 if, in fact, he was the one issuing the "electronic communication." sorry to geek out but I appreciate keeping Dylan's thread alive. I don't know what to think, exactly, about the 9:37 text. My best theory is text from ipod...probably to phone or last ping from cell phone itself. For ex, texts stop after 8:01 but phone still pings. Phone stops pinging at 9:37.

this gave me more to consider, thank you!
I had not thought about the possibility that Dylan could have been communicating to his own phone - from his ipod, or even MR 's ipod or computer. If this were the case then like you said, it would place Dylan in or very near the home at 9:37. Is it possible to communicate from a computer to a cell phone? I have always wondered why MR made the comment that Dylan never went into MR'S bedroom! Is that where his ipod or computer was?

Maybe his phone died after 9 37 and stopped pinging. A ping is an electronic communication I believe.

Oh I see Rebecca already said that!

ORIAH
wonder - if a body were "dismembered" would this account for HRD hits in various parts of the lake, and with stronger hits in particular areas?

If a body were placed or buried on land near a tributary that fed into the lake, (there are several of these feeding the reservoir) would this provide strong enough scent for dogs to hit on in the lake?

(sorry I know these are sadly sensitive questions)

BBM, I think that one is a definite possibility but the biggest problem with that is, you would have a very messy crime scene somewhere granted the person dismembered the body where they died. Even if they didn't, there would be a messy "workshop" for lack of a better word, where the appropriate tools would be to actually dismember a body. That would leave us with even more questions as to where would the dismemberment have taken place? How long would it have taken to dismember the body, etc?

I have something to add in regards to the phone dying. When you are in an area where your phone is constantly trying to search for signal it drains the battery quicker than even you using it to talk or text on. If it were to go dead then no amount of sending messages to it will help you find it, you better hope you can find it on your own. Now the bad thing, what happens if you walked outside with both your phone and your ipod, let's say to text and listen to your ipod while doing it. Let's say you put your phone in your pocket and somehow it falls out. Your dad is in bed, and you don't have access to his phone. How would you find your phone? You couldn't use the ipod to text it because it would have to be close to the wifi signal source. You can't use the landline to call it because you would need to be outside to find it. So your only option is to retrace where you walked the night before when daylight comes. So, if your phone is dead, you were suppose to be at your friend's house at 6:30 am, you dropped your phone somewhere outside, what would you do? Would you grab your bag(that you may not have unpacked due to getting in late-ish the night before) head out and look for your phone along the way, IF you were too impatient to wait for your dad to get back and give you a lift? We don't really know what Dylan may have done after Mark went to bed that night either.

Mark said when he went to bed Dylan was still texting right? Some people don't look at a clock when they go to bed, they just go, especially if they are tired. They can guesstimate the time they went to bed, maybe around 10 oclock. If Dylan was still texting when Mark went to bed, that would seem to imply Mark went to bed earlier than what he said, or you can choose to believe it's because he lied about what time he went to bed.

Then again, we know LE has verified that Dylan made it to the house. The phone pings and return texts would NOT necessarily show that Dylan made it to the house that night. However, what if there was a text from another friend after Mark went to bed where one said they were going to stop by, meet outside. Something like that, and that friend saw Dylan at the house? Then Mark claims to have seen him the next morning. Perhaps the friend was able to verify that Mark was in bed at the time he stopped by? We really don't know how they verified he was arrived at the house, just that they did. Would they take phone pings and texts as absolute proof?

Trying to remember when the movie was put in, I believe it was about 10 to 9:00. MR said he ran up to bed after the movie. Someone looked up how long that movie was but I can't remember, I will guess it would be about 20 min. after 10, maybe 10:30 ish. He also mentioned Dylan was also then watching NIC so I guess tack a few minutes on to when the movie got over to settle into a certain channel perhaps.

Also didn't MR leave the door open that Dylan was texting or playing a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!