CO CO - Edna Quintana, 55, Saguache County, last seen on foot, 3 May 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anyone found any information regarding Edna's lifestyle? Was she a regular hiker? Was this something she did often? Ever? Was this her first time? Just wondering if her going hiking was normal or completely out of the norm for her.
According to Saguache County Search and Rescue, Edna Quintana may be missing in the mountains surrounding the San Luis Valley town of Saguache.

She was last seen in the town of about 500 residents on May 3 and has not been heard from since. While her whereabouts are unknown, authorities note that she may have traveled into more rugged terrain in the area, for which she was not prepared to stay in.

Quintana also has acquaintances in Center, Colorado, which is about 23 miles south of Saguache.

According to Saguache County Search and Rescue, Edna Quintana may be missing in the mountains surrounding the San Luis Valley town of Saguache.

She was last seen in the town of about 500 residents on May 3 and has not been heard from since. While her whereabouts are unknown, authorities note that she may have traveled into more rugged terrain in the area, for which she was not prepared to stay in.

Quintana also has acquaintances in Center, Colorado, which is about 23 miles south of Saguache.

Well that seems contradictory with the linked article below which says she was heading back down to the car, why would she have traveled into more rugged terrain?

Side note, the last paragraph below it said the family was worried because she hadn't come over as she had every day, so I guess that must be what made the family report her missing. Did the bf not tell anyone he returned from the "hiking" trip without her? I just can't fathom going hiking with someone and then going home without them like it's no big deal.

While the couple were apparently up in the mountains, Ms Quintana reportedly decided to go back down. When her boyfriend came down back to the car, she was nowhere to be seen.

Ms Quintana, a mother of five, has been missing for exactly five months. Her family reported her missing after she went hiking with a boyfriend on 3 May and didn’t return.

“Me and my mom and my brother were worried that she hadn’t come over because she was coming over every day if not every other day,” her sister Marilyn Quintana told CBS News.

“Today I choose to turn my thoughts and heart to the family of Edna Quintana whose search was the catalyst for my miracle ❤️; Suzanna being found,” Melinda Moorman Balzer said in a statement.

“Although there were only her skeletal remains left in the dry prairie grass of Saguache county I am grateful for the closure for which I have prayed since May of 2020,” Ms Balzer wrote in a statement issued to reporters. “Only those who have walked this journey of loss can truly understand the ambiguous loss of this tragedy.”

“Now it is Edna who needs your thoughts and prayers. Keep her alive in the social media world,” she said.

The hike with a boyfriend of two years came from a family member who talked to the media.

However, what we know for certain is LE has not confirmed this information, and hasn't identified any Person of Interest/Suspect in Edna's disappearance. LE has also not disclosed whether or not they've talked to the bf, ex-husband, children, etc.

CBI issued only the following on May 17 on FB -- omitting the hiking data, clothing, or last Road location which was provided by NamUS on Sept 3.

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoBureauofInvestigation?__cft__[0]=AZWG3M402CcNjy0DW9xhs1_kweYTxGp3ju76cF0SbQdlVofRgKXZQnQ6T967nf6xVhaATnv5UIftVDB_nxJ4qdfcAtySo7yO443umiyheubrB9ZWhsZdOGPg0-BxExfdzr8bzk8VsbpBKGByCZ5HODSg8dRmuHuHS9uRSvVSg9UV_Vr1juoxOZZjQPr6V1yIyu2OkU57WoK6HjajtpOR24EV&__tn__=<,P-R

Colorado Bureau of Investigation

May 17 ·
UPDATE: Edna is a Hispanic female.**
Please share. An endangered missing alert has been issued for Edna Quintana who was last seen May 3, 2023 in Saguache County. She has brown hair and brown eyes. If you see her or have any information, please call 911.

1696545979622.jpeg

Circumstances​

Date of Last Contact May 3, 2023

NamUs Case Created September 6, 2023

Last Known Location Map

Location Saguache, Colorado 81149

County Saguache County

Missing From Tribal Land No

Primary Residence on Tribal Land No

Circumstances of Disappearance On 05/03/2023 Edna disappeared, while she was reportedly walking or hiking on a hill near County Road 46-AA, just outside of Saguache, Colorado; Edna was reportedly wearing a blue Hoodie with a "COLORADO" logo, blue jeans and white sneakers.

Edna might still be up on the mountain, or she may have walked down and decided to go off-grid and drop contact with friends and family. Unusual, but not unheard of.

The odd thing is LE was searching for her where they found Suzanne. Judging from photos we’ve seen, it was a flat desert-like area. Was it near the mountain?

Why were they looking for Edna in that area?

Edna might still be up on the mountain, or she may have walked down and decided to go off-grid and drop contact with friends and family. Unusual, but not unheard of.

The odd thing is LE was searching for her where they found Suzanne. Judging from photos we’ve seen, it was a flat desert-like area. Was it near the mountain?

I suspect rather that someone stumbled across bones, called LE and the initial association was for Edna, being it was the general area and she was a local active missing person.

JMO

IMO, CBI was most likely doing drone surveillance based on the season-- before the first frost and Edna happened to be one of the residents from Saguache County still missing. I'd be surprised to learn they had a tip to look for Edna in Moffat -- 30+ miles from her last sighting. JMO

Please reference CBI's fb for the number of persons reported missing from southern Colorado and are not long after reported as "located safe." I was pleasantly surprised.

Who last saw her other than the boyfriend and where? Did any other hikers see her on the trail? Was she even there at all? Did she make it back to the parking lot and someone abducted her or did she walk away? Or, is she still on the mountain?

Who last saw her other than the boyfriend and where? Did any other hikers see her on the trail? Was she even there at all? Did she make it back to the parking lot and someone abducted her or did she walk away? Or, is she still on the mountain?
Given no information has come from or been confirmed by LE, all we have is speculation or as reported by family to MSM. Most recently, a cousin and a sister have given statements to MSM and/or been interviewed but nothing new since saying Edna was hiking with a boyfriend who did not find her at the car after she 'headed down' before him. MOO

There really isn’t much information to be found. Edna is an endangered missing person, likely due to health issues.

It was noted by family that she was ‘not involved with a good group‘. She could be voluntarily missing, perhaps to remove herself from said group. It is not impossible that her boyfriend knows this.

Keeping Edna in my thoughts.
Patiently awaiting more details.

Yes, was she even there at all? I wish we could be sure of even that much. Assuming she was, perhaps she and the boyfriend had an argument and she flounced off. I really hope the boyfriend has told us all he knows.

From the article -
So far I am a little confused. She disappeared May 3rd 2023
-Earlier I read on this thread that she was last seen walking along the road - but not by who or the timing - after she came down from the mountain hike?
-This article indicates she was hiking with her bf of 2 years in the mountains ( not specifics on location or who the bf is)
She evidently decided to go back to the car before the bf and when he got to the car she was no where to be seen.

Who had the car keys? If she came back to car first, did she ask for the keys, so she could wait in the car?

I guess not, because he had the ability to drive away, it seems.

Maybe they hid them near the car?
Was an immed search done of that area when they were hiking? When was she actually reported missing ?

Also her family said she had begun to hang out with a not so great crowd( paraphrasing) - I am not sure what that means-drugs? crime? - what goes on in Saguache? same as every other area? Meth and stuff?

Her family is fifth generation in the Saguache area so I am assuming they have strong connections and ties to the community?

I am just getting up to speed so forgive the questions if they are answered by the posts I have not read yet.

So far it just seems that there is so little information out there. I am thinking a reporter/youtuber etc needs to do a little digging and get thngs out there - I am not sure how to make that happen ? JMO

From the srticle :
"She's caring and she cares about family. She loves her kids. She's just a good person. She's a good person to where she's not somebody you would want to (harm) her," said Marilyn.

The mother of five traveled back and forth between Saguache and Center to see her children, but Marilyn tells CBS Colorado she more recently spent her time with a man she had been seeing for about two years.

Marylin says it was not until a few days later her cousin told her Edna went hiking with the man she was seeing on May 3. At one point, Edna went back down the mountain, but the boyfriend could not find her when he went back to the car. CBS Colorado is not naming him at this time as he is not yet been listed as a suspect."
I find it odd that it is said 'he is not listed as a suspect.' Boyfriends are always the initial suspects, unless they were nowhere around. Yet he was apparently the last one to see her, which is also a characteristic of a POI. I wonder how he was cleared?

1696663039344.jpeg

Saguache, Colorado. Map: ©2023 Google Maps.

*eta:According to the CBI, Edna Quintana was last seen May 3 in the Saguache area. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She stands 5'5" and weighs 120 pounds. She was reported missing by her family on May 6

The CBI issued an endangered missing alert for Quintana on Saturday, May 17, but was unable to confirm any sightings following her disappearance stating:

"We encourage the use of the tip-line to provide information about Edna Quintana. Someone has that key piece of information that will help us locate Edna," said Saguache County Sheriff Dan Warwick.

Last edited:
View attachment 452035

For Clarification (and those not wanting to use up their free read before paywall strikes)-- links in the quoted post are dated May 2023 and not new MSM updates.

*Sep 29 2003
edna-quintana.png
"I “I I miss her, because I was always able to talk to her," said Marilyn Quintana.

"She's caring and she cares about family. She loves her kids. She's just a good person. She's a good person to where she's not somebody you would want to (harm) her," said Marilyn.

The mother of five traveled back and forth between Saguache and Center to see her children, but Marilyn tells CBS Colorado she more recently spent her time with a man she had been seeing for about two years.

At first, Marilyn had no idea her sister was missing.

"Me and my mother were worried she hadn't come over because she was coming over every day if not every other day," said Marilyn.

Marylin says it was not until a few days later her cousin told her Edna went hiking with the man she was seeing on May 3. At one point, Edna went back down the mountain, but the boyfriend could not find her when he went back to the car. CBS Colorado is not naming him at this time as he is not yet been listed as a suspect.

"I don't know why they didn't come and say anything because we could've done something sooner. They supposedly called the sheriff's department a couple of times to say my sister was missing," said Marylin.

'Hiking is not a typical activity that Edna would've done and she wasn't immediately reported missing to the sheriff's office, to local search and rescue, or even her family until three days later.

Edna was part of a fifth-generation family native to Saguache, Colorado. Following her disappearance, her loved ones said she had been hanging out with a bad crowd.

'You won't find a single person in the town of Saguache that has something bad to say about Edna,' said Edwards. 'But she unfortunately didn't keep the best company; it didn't matter to her what your past was, or what kind of person you are now, she would be your friend because she was just a kind person.

'And maybe someone took advantage of that kindness, we don't know.'

On the day Quintana vanished, she had been hiking with a male companion whom she had been dating sporadically over the course of a few years. He later explained how she couldn't keep up the pace and decided to return to their car.

Quintana's cousin, Augustina Edwards found it suspicious that Edna, who was not an avid hiker, would go missing on a hiking trip without telling anyone.

The red flag for our family is that she was not a hiker, she wasn't a fisherman, and she wasn't really even an outdoorsy person,'

'Hiking is not a typical activity that Edna would've done and she wasn't immediately reported missing to the sheriff's office, to local search and rescue, or even her family until three days later.

'She has not been seen or heard from since, and I think that's very suspicious.'

On the day Quintana vanished, she had been hiking with a male companion whom she had been dating sporadically over the course of a few years. He later explained how she couldn't keep up the pace and decided to return to their car.

Quintana's cousin, Augustina Edwards found it suspicious that Edna, who was not an avid hiker, would go missing on a hiking trip without telling anyone.

The red flag for our family is that she was not a hiker, she wasn't a fisherman, and she wasn't really even an outdoorsy person,'

'She has not been seen or heard from since, and I think that's very suspicious.'
From the article, per the bf she reportedly went hiking with:
“When he returned to the vehicle later in the day, Edna was missing, but her purse and cell phone were still with him. Edna was not reported missing for another three days when family members raised the alarm.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back