Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good gracious. Am I the only person who thinks the defense attorney just got choked? Like spit down the wrong pipe or something? It happens to me all the time, usually at the worst possible time, and it is mortifying. Both attorneys struck me as just being nervous. It's an extremely high profile case, then add the camera and the scrutiny that will surely follow. I don't know anything about the defense attorneys. Have they ever defended such a high profile case? Murder of a child? Been in hearing with media coverage? I'd be interested to know. However, even if they have, I don't think I could judge anyone for being a little flustered in that situation.

I watched live and I haven't yet had time to re-watch, but having spent a good amount of time in the court room, I didn't see anything that struck me as blatantly unprofessional or discourteous.

Regarding LS, who knows what reason she gave her attorneys for wanting to be off camera, but my bet is that she is VERY uncomfortable with her current appearance. As others have said, the lack of makeup, posing, filters... she doesn't want to be seen. I believe that is as deep as it gets. Nothing to do with shame, remorse, or anything of that nature. I'm fairly convinced she is not capable of those emotions.

I think a lot of people have a misconception of attorneys and legal proceedings, thanks to TV, movies, media. Defense attorneys are normal people. They get nervous, they trip up on their words, don’t always stand up like a dominant force in the court room...as you said, it’s not daily that a lot of them experience a high profile case like this.

Even the most terrible person (which is subjective) deserves to have at least one person there for them. They may not believe the defendant is innocent. But they are there just to offer mental comfort / support. My boyfriend did some time in jail with a guy who later was on trial for his crime. (Abandonment of a girl who overdosed body, which is awful) But he asked me to go to court one day just because the guy needed SOMEONE there...on a basic human level of kindness. Even if they showed no kindness to their victim. Not for me to punish or judge. I went because he is human, just like everyone. It was sad, but I don't regret going.
As for Tecia, the fact that no one is there for her, is a telling thing. Either it sheds more light on her personality, or it's sad maybe no one loving her is one of the things that *could have* led her to this terrible situation. Not an excuse, but possibly a partial explanation.
MOO

I don’t disagree that this thinking is how the real world works, but she’s innocent until proven guilty. I wouldn’t give a flip who was sitting in that row supporting her. If they believe she’s innocent, then that’s what they believe. They are entitled to that belief and to support her if they believe it. I might be inclined to consider them deluded or flat out blind, but I wouldn’t think less of a person who is there to support their family or friend. God forbid I am ever in TS’s place...I would want my family there believing I am innocent.

Last edited:
The defense attorneys behavior may be acceptable for a meeting or behind a closed door hearing, but not in a televised hearing of a high profile case! It was disrespectful to what appears to be an older school judge.

The DA conducted himself in a professional and respectable manner. He hit every mark, was prepared and concise. His communication with the judge was a reflection of the DA's stellar performance. :)
All this talk about the hearing and the attorneys might be one reason why some trials are not allowed cameras in the courtroom or full media coverage.

All the scrutiny about the lawyers demeanor or behavior takes away from the important details of the trial.

It must be hard for the attorneys to focus in the courtroom knowing the public is going to analyze their "performance."

Imo

ES6QLIfXsAAQnLV
For those wondering what she is thinking in this photo, I have a tattoo for my son that passed. He was not a victim of abuse but I know there’s both heartbreak and intense love with a bit of relief in her right now. Bereaved moms aren’t able to give hugs and kisses and cookies and milk or rub heads and snuggle up to keep our babies safe. We can get tattoos, build memorials, lead tributes, be grateful for what time we had, share memories, fight for change and/or justice. Wish I could hug her and add a heart for Gman to my collection.

Good gracious. Am I the only person who thinks the defense attorney just got choked? Like spit down the wrong pipe or something? It happens to me all the time, usually at the worst possible time, and it is mortifying. Both attorneys struck me as just being nervous. It's an extremely high profile case, then add the camera and the scrutiny that will surely follow. I don't know anything about the defense attorneys. Have they ever defended such a high profile case? Murder of a child? Been in hearing with media coverage? I'd be interested to know. However, even if they have, I don't think I could judge anyone for being a little flustered in that situation.

I watched live and I haven't yet had time to re-watch, but having spent a good amount of time in the court room, I didn't see anything that struck me as blatantly unprofessional or discourteous.

Regarding LS, who knows what reason she gave her attorneys for wanting to be off camera, but my bet is that she is VERY uncomfortable with her current appearance. As others have said, the lack of makeup, posing, filters... she doesn't want to be seen. I believe that is as deep as it gets. Nothing to do with shame, remorse, or anything of that nature. I'm fairly convinced she is not capable of those emotions.
No, you are not alone in thinking that the defense attorney just choked. I think she took a sip of water and got choked on it but recovered. I did not see anything unprofessional.

OK- help me here. If the reinstatement of the death penalty applies to CHARGES made on 07/01/20 or later, how can they consider the death penalty in this case?
It's the complete opposite. The death penalty appeal applies to charges made on 07/01/20 or later.

I should expand. I am a mom who home educated her children. HOMESCHOOL MOM should also be in there. It is even a joke of a stereotype amongst us homeschool moms. Hard to explain, and I maybe shouldn't have even gone there. Again, NOT ALL, but they just seemed to dress dowdy and bumble around and act like they had just started practicing law. And the incessant talking to Tee was disrespectful and rude and distracting.

BBM.

In other televised arraignment, advisement or trial proceedings when the defendant is seated at the defense table, depending on where the camera is we can't see how often one of the defense attorneys speaks to the defendant. But judges know and I would doubt the judge yesterday felt the interaction between TS and her attorney was disrespectful.

As others have said TS has a right to talk to her attorney and her attorney needs to be able to talk to her as proceedings unfold. I'm not at all sure what we saw yesterday was unusual so far as the defendant/attorney interactions went. It may have been "distracting" to us, but the proceeding wasn't really for our benefit.

I also thought they were dressed fine. Often female attorneys are held to a different standard than male attorneys, unfortunately. Remember all the hoopla over Marcia Clark's hair during the OJ trial? Marcia Clark's Haircut Made People Lose It At The OJ Simpson Trial, & The Sexism Was Real

JMO

Even the most terrible person (which is subjective) deserves to have at least one person there for them. They may not believe the defendant is innocent. But they are there just to offer mental comfort / support. My boyfriend did some time in jail with a guy who later was on trial for his crime. (Abandonment of a girl who overdosed body, which is awful) But he asked me to go to court one day just because the guy needed SOMEONE there...on a basic human level of kindness. Even if they showed no kindness to their victim. Not for me to punish or judge. I went because he is human, just like everyone. It was sad, but I don't regret going.
As for Tecia, the fact that no one is there for her, is a telling thing. Either it sheds more light on her personality, or it's sad maybe no one loving her is one of the things that led her to this terrible situation. Not an excuse, but possibly a partial explanation.

I agree with your sentiment. I believe the most likely explanation is a lifetime of burning those closest to her, but I still think it would be good to have someone who cares about her, there in the courtroom. If only for Tee to have someone to connect with if the true weight of her actions ever hits her.

TS gate talk was to defend herself as to what might have happened to Gannon. A distraction for her to use. I bet Gannon checking the gate was for a dog that slipped out and TS had to run after it. Many times my kids use to not fully latch a gate and I had to run all over to chase a dog down. TS would not deal well with that event to say the least. My opinions
Or she was chasing her victim who was trying to get away from her.

I both can and have completely discounted the acid bath theory.

Completely.

It isn't supported by any of the known facts of the case.

It's extremely far-fetched, implausible AND impractical, given what we know.

Obviously, googling "acid drum murder" will bring up past cases.

That doesn't make it a viable scenario here.

It isn't.

JMO.
I don’t believe she had the time. I don’t believe the prosecution concluded she spent time planning and premeditating this.
It appears to be abuse run amok.

I certainly think she didn’t like him, was jealous of him and didn’t want to care for him.

But she left home with him around 10, came home without him around 2 and was seen at Petco twice. No time for acid or burning.

As for Tecia, the fact that no one is there for her, is a telling thing. Either it sheds more light on her personality, or it's sad maybe no one loving her is one of the things that led her to this terrible situation. Not an excuse, but possibly a partial explanation.
BBM...could family and/or friends not be there because they have given LE critical information about the case & are not to be in court until trial (prosecution witness)?

I agree, but im sure she was trying to hold it in, everyone that coughs don't have the virus and Im middle aged and in our day it was tough for you to hold your hand over your mouth when you cough and unless your thinking about anything but trying to stop you tend to go back to old habbits...IMO

The likelihood that everyone who has a cough has the virus is slim to none. I think picking on her for her way of coughing is going a bit overboard. She covered her mouth. She wasn’t sitting there holding someone’s hand. I actually was paranoid when I was out and about yesterday because my allergies have started and I was coughing and worried that people would think I had the virus. And I’m with you, I was always taught to cover my mouth when coughing. That’s usually with my hand. :confused:

I think Tee looks checked out a lot because her mind is always working overtime, thinking of how to explain away circumstantial evidence. We've all seen how anything that showed up on SM pointing to guilt on her part, she would HAVE TO bring it up and explain it away (with deceptive generalizations). I think she's always collecting information and thinking about how to spin it so she's the victim.

Rather than confessing or doing herself in, I predict Tee will stay defiant forever, and maybe even write a book about how she's the victim and it was all a conspiracy against her (similar to how not showing up to her teaching job wasn't her fault, and getting fired was a conspiracy against her). She'll try to turn this to her advantage, IMO. But I'd say confession is the least likely route of the 3.

JMO

While I agree with you that she'll remain basically defiant. I also think that she constantly gives out information she should keep silent about (from a defense perspective) and she will continue to do that. If she tells her attorneys that she knows where Gannon is (and I bet she will, directly or indirectly), then they may urge her to give up that information in return for a faster transfer to a better facility - jail can be much worse than prison, perhaps there's a women's prison in CO that has more appeal - and she might as well start her new life).

Her main defense tactic otherwise would be to try to get the charges down from Murder 1, but I just don't see how that's possible.

In the end, she may just want to be infamous and tell her story. She may see the trial as an attempt to do that. If she insists on taking the stand, then wowsa. She certainly doesn't have the kind of big defense team that some defendants have (Dulos). I think a major problem with TS is going to be managing her in the courtroom.

I also think she's gone without sleep recently, has likely been in a special cell and has been under restrictions and close guard, due to her antics in the extradition process. By April 14, I would assume she's settled into the jail routine, is going to get access to some grooming supplies, and may in fact find some clergy person or church person to come visit her and perhaps get her commissary credits. Who knows. Aside from lawyers, at the jail where I work, it's almost entirely clergy who are the visitors (family can only visit twice a month; approved clergy can come more often than that, don't know about CS jails though).

Gotchya. I don't know anything about them being competant,or not. I don't think they would be in the position they are if they were incompetent though. IIRC One of them has been with the Public Defenders Office for a long time,and is in a top position. So I doubt they are incompetant. Never underestimate the other side. MOO

Yup. Just seemed to have the tone of a normal hearing to me. No dramatics or anything, just discussing the facts and making their case.

What happened in court yesterday was the wheels of the justice system turning, and this is just the beginning of the beginning, and mostly academic.

(my MAC is down and I’m doing this on my phone which is entirely frustrating so posted too soon)

So...ETA:
I don’t care what anyone wore or who coughed or whispered or smiled. This DA’s office appears to have a wealth of evidence and I just want to see this thing move along to her predictable end.

TS is allowed to have counsel explain what’s going in the hearing and answer her questions just like anyone else. That’s why the DP was sitting next to her and not at the table with her co-counsel. It’s clear in the video that sometimes the counselor initiated and sometimes she turned to TS to answer her questions. Also, dowdy is subjective. They were dressed in suits and obviously the judge had no problem with what they were wearing, so I think maybe it’s time to lay off their physical appearance and focus on the important stuff like where Gannon could be. MOO. Like a cow.

All of this, 100%.

That's backwards. The DP is not being reinstated in CO. It is being removed as a punishment. It can be given to those charged before 7/1/2020.

I don't think it will be sought myself. And if the talk is just to scare TS, I'm not sure why at the original PC discussing her arrest, the DA's office said LWOP. Better to have left it open then if bargaining was the goal IMO. And even if it was sought and was given, no way it would be carried out. JMO
Thank you for bringing that up @NCWatcher . His post hearing interview seemed to back peddle from the one after her arrest. While I am still very impressed with the DA, the change in his response was not consistent. (I am struggling to put my thoughts into words).

First interview: States that gov will commute all death sentences, so it is useless to pursue.

Second interview: He may consider the DP

Its a small glitch in the scheme of things, but I believe that confident, unwavering and no deals is the best position against TS. JMOO

Thank you for bringing that up @NCWatcher . His post hearing interview seemed to back peddle from the one after her arrest. While I am still very impressed with the DA, the change in his response was not consistent. (I am struggling to put my thoughts into words).

First interview: States that gov will commute all death sentences, so it is useless to pursue.

Second interview: He may consider the DP

Its a small glitch in the scheme of things, but I believe that confident, unwavering and no deals is the best position against TS. JMOO
I personally don't think he's waivering on the DP. I think he's planting a seed that the DP is not off the table so that the seed reaches LS's ears. It doesn't necessarily mean he will pursue the DP. Just MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member