Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wants to put money on an escape attempt or attack during transport? My bet is on both.

Also, regarding the jawbone: The article below states Gannon’s body was so badly deteriorated that the medical examiner is still working to complete the autopsy. The jawbone was sent to Colorado for confirmation from dental records, etc..to identify Gannon. I don’t believe it indicates that he was dismembered.

I believe Gannon was intact in the suitcase, but badly decomposed. Florida temps were not helpful with regard to preserving evidence or slowing decomp the same way the cold Colorado mountains would have been.

From CrimeOnline:

“The defense team also argued that they had not been given Gannon’s autopsy report or results from DNA tests. During Friday’s hearing, the prosecution announced that the boy’s body had been so badly deteriorated that the medical examiner still hadn’t fully completed the autopsy.”

Gannon Stauch: Jawbone found in Florida confirmed to be of slain boy. Alleged killer stepmother to undergo mental competency exam

Moo

Who wants to put money on an escape attempt or attack during transport? My bet is on both.

Also, regarding the jawbone: The article below states Gannon’s body was so badly deteriorated that the medical examiner is still working to complete the autopsy. The jawbone was sent to Colorado for confirmation from dental records, etc..to identify Gannon. I don’t believe it indicates that he was dismembered.

I believe Gannon was intact in the suitcase, but badly decomposed. Florida temps were not helpful with regard to preserving evidence or slowing decomp the same way the cold Colorado mountains would have.

From CrimeOnline:

“The defense team also argued that they had not been given Gannon’s autopsy report or results from DNA tests. During Friday’s hearing, the prosecution announced that the boy’s body had been so badly deteriorated that the medical examiner still hadn’t fully completed the autopsy.”

Gannon Stauch: Jawbone found in Florida confirmed to be of slain boy. Alleged killer stepmother to undergo mental competency exam

Moo

Nothing she might attempt will surprise me at this point.
She appears to be too dang stupid to actually get away with anything, so I'm not too concerned about that.
My real concern is what she might do to someone, to get them out of her way.
I mean, we already know what she did to Gannon :( and the officer that she attacked on the return trip to CO also knows what she's capable of.
I just hope she's locked down tight, and there is zero chance of her hurting anyone else.

jmo

VERY long post ahead!

I agree with you that she is seriously messed up in the head. As a longtime field diagnostician, perhaps I can help with one aspect of your post.

Being diagnosed within the context of DSM-5 is for treatment and clinical study only. It has absolutely nothing to do with the legal definition of insanity. There's a really great series of shows on S5 of St Elsewhere about this very issue.

A person can be schizophrenic and still stand trial. A person can be a flaming malignant NPD and still stand trial. And a person can be a pedophile (per DSM) and obviously, still stand trial. Drug abuse is in DSM (and is a mental/neurological disorder). Alcoholism is in DSM (and a mental/neurological disorder).

You might be surprised to know what kinds of questions psychiatrists actually ask to determine whether a person is "mentally competent to stand trial," which is an entirely different issue than "do they have a treatable psychiatric or neurologic illness?"

They start with such things as, "Do you know what day of the week it is? What month of the year? What year is it?" Usually, people get those right. A complete non-response to those questions will result in a different kind of further evaluation (does this person ever answer questions? do they know their name?) Even really uncooperative people will sullenly acknowledge their name. If not, then they are under close observation when they interact with other patients or their attorney or their parents. Oddly, all of a sudden, nearly everyone seems to remember their name (and their provisional diagnosis, "malingering" is not enough to keep them out of court or give them an insanity defense - kind of the opposite).

Is it good and moral to murder people without provocation? Yes or no. There are a lot of yes or no questions. If the person ever wants to see the outside of an institution, they will have passed the above part of the exam (they know what month and year it is, anyway, they know their name).

Is it a good thing to murder a child? Yes or no.

Is it good or permissible to murder a child who is placed in your care and to whom you acted as mother? Yes or no.

The doctor will keep going back to "yes or no" and repeating these hypothetical questions. They may throw in some interesting ones. "Is it okay and good to keep an unregistered gun in your handbag at a school?" "Is it good and lawful to buy a gun that has had its serial numbers removed?" For the more intelligent antisocials, they can't resist showing that they do know the law.

And when they do that - they get to go to trial and they do not get an insanity defense. Judges review all of this material very carefully and criminal defense attorneys know all of this better than I do.

"Is it good and permissible to legally buy a gun, with the sole purpose of intending to kill your husband?" (Actual question asked in a case I'm familiar with). "Yes," said the wife. "Is it good and permissible to premeditate the murder of your abusive husband?" "Yes," said the wife. At that point, it now became a matter of a jury trial. This person claimed her husband was abusive, but he was not in the same room or even in the house when she shot him and then hid the weapon. She then lied to police about an intruder in the yard.

Defense tried the battered spouse defense, and they lost (jury didn't buy it).

But notice how this person was able to answer simple questions that showed her mind was working and that she had a sense of right and wrong (even if the rest of us don't agree).

Personally, I think LS's own approach to these exams will be to adopt that meek demeanor we saw at her extradition proceeding, pretend not to understand everything, but ultimately answer, "Yes, I know it's wrong to stick children in freezers" or whatever else they may ask. Usually, they use questions that are not directly applicable to the situation at hand, just to test a person's sense of right and wrong.

"I don't know" is a valid answer, and gets the person more time in the psych ward. A person with a DSM diagnosis AND a track record of stating plainly that the "don't know that it's wrong to bomb schools" (or whatever gets asked) is definitely a risk to themselves and others.

"Would it be wrong to...X" is often the form asked if it's clear the person understands ordinary English. In this case, LS's educational background (alleged) will cause the psychiatrist to asked tougher questions, as she should be able to answer them. Since she is a blabbermouth, I predict she will answer, but have a hard time sticking to yes or no, but will eventually commit to a short answer.

None of this ever comes before the jury, nor would Al or Landen get to know what she said. BTW, learning to do a mental status exam is something that many different professionals are taught to do (including techs in ER's with a 2 year college degree). Doing a complex mental status exam in a felony murder case will be done by an experienced psychiatrist or two or three.

One of the best psychiatrists I observed would throw in these seemingly random questions near the beginning, "You're driving in your car, you see a dog in the road, is it okay or right to deliberately swerve to hit the dog?" They always answered "no." Everyone knows that! He knew right then and there the person knew right from wrong, and this one involved a bit of critical thinking - so they're clearly able to understand human speech and use their mental faculties to answer.

They're not legally insane.
Awesome information. Thx for sharing your experience and insight.

Her thinking is definitely off. Who would think they could escape breaking the glass and slinking away? But again, her thinking has been off since she did the Cousin It interview. I don't think there is a competency issue at all. Waiting it out sucks but then we are free and clear to go for a murder conviction.

She was telling people that others had money in an account. If true or partially true, I hope those folks are getting ready to wear some jumpsuits.

If this wasn't so tragic for Gannon and his family, it would be rather amusing to play a game to bet on what her next move would be. She'd be in the lead cause none of us thought she transported him to FL or she would try to escape in KS or.........whatever.

https://twitter.com/lancebenzel/status/1269033456555552769?s=21

From Lance Benzene via Twitter.

“A little more from a top supervisor in the PD's office: It's not a promotion, per se, but Chalmers was reassigned to a post in which she will be training fellow public defenders for the next couple of years. At the end, she's expected to return to the Colorado Springs office.“

For latest clarity on Chambers new assignment.

IMO...Chalmers thinking, anywhere doing anything just get me away from this TS woman!!! MOO

Edited by me for typo.

Last edited:
From September 2019.
State mental hospital in Pueblo expanding to meet federal regulations

PUEBLO, Colo. — The state mental hospital in Pueblo started construction last month on a unit that will add 24 beds to the facility’s forensic hospital, the Colorado Department of Human Services announced in a news release Tuesday.

The Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo is adding beds as part of an agreement that resolved an eight-year-old federal lawsuit over wait times for court-ordered competency services, according to the release.

The 24 beds will be for people who are committed by courts or found innocent by reason of insanity and are expected to open in November 2020, the department said.
In the event TS is found incompetent to stand trial, does that mean she is free to go ?

Ms. Chalmers is withdrawing from the case ----> NEXT!

From September 2019.
State mental hospital in Pueblo expanding to meet federal regulations

PUEBLO, Colo. — The state mental hospital in Pueblo started construction last month on a unit that will add 24 beds to the facility’s forensic hospital, the Colorado Department of Human Services announced in a news release Tuesday.

The Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo is adding beds as part of an agreement that resolved an eight-year-old federal lawsuit over wait times for court-ordered competency services, according to the release.

The 24 beds will be for people who are committed by courts or found innocent by reason of insanity and are expected to open in November 2020, the department said.
aaahhh, now I get it, she is trying to get on the waiting list for the new digs. Makes perfect sense now.

In the event TS is found incompetent to stand trial, does that mean she is free to go ?

Ms. Chalmers is withdrawing from the case ----> NEXT!

Naw, they will just keep retesting her until she is found competent it seems. If that never happens, then who knows. Spend her entire time in Pueblo mostly likely?

Check out the planned parenthood shooter in C Springs (robert dear). He's been incompetent to stand trial since 2015:

Dear has been undergoing treatment at the state mental hospital in Pueblo every 90 days for years after he was charged with 179 counts, including murder and attempted murder, in the shooting. He has been deemed incompetent to stand trial

Accused Colorado Planned Parenthood shooter Robert Dear indicted by federal grand jury

I'm (almost) speechless after learning of her attempted inmate escape.

This woman is unhinged. And not in the sense that she should be found not sane, but in the sense that I cannot believe NO ONE recognized how F'ed up she was in her daily life. That includes family, friends, neighbors, work associates...EVERYONE.

My takeaways are this:
HOW, if she is allowed out 1 hr a day and is ALONE and supervised, is she able to slip notes in another's cell door?

WHY was she not officially charged for assaulting that transporting officer enroute to Colorado? They were real quick to charge her with attempting escape from prison, but there's no charge for attacking a transport officer who reportedly was sent to the hospital with injuries??

I'm sorry, there's more to this story. Grave as it is. I'm so sorry Gannon.

I believe Gannon was intact in the suitcase, but badly decomposed. Florida temps were not helpful with regard to preserving evidence or slowing decomp the same way the cold Colorado mountains would have been.

From CrimeOnline:

Moo

yeah, she has horrified me now, as clearly whatever else she is, she’s stone cold.

she drove around with his poor wee body already decomposing for days, and didn’t bat an eye!!? Eek.

OMG, my favorite part of Spencer's notes:
"During the whole meeting, LS face is covered from any view from the public by her hair." Yet another Cousin It appearance.

Sorry, nothing else to add. You guys are pretty much asking all the good questions. :)

The use of her hair in this way shows knowledge of her shameful situation. The fact that she can part it and have it cover her face shows she can plan for the embarrassing situation. That would be my opinion.

IMO, not only is it a common thing to do across many cultures (try to hide the face in shame) but that in some cultures, it's considered evidence of a guilty conscience, so hopefully her lawyers will get her to sit up straight and act normal when it's time for trial.

She's not crazy, she's cagey.

Is there anything to lead us to believe HH hasn't yet cooperated with the investigation?
It's entirely possible I've missed something, so I'm just asking.

ETA: and yes, I'm sticking up for the kid until there's something in the MSM that leads me to believe she doesn't deserve it. Until then, she's a victim too, and deserves some compassion.
You have a good heart.

I can't help wondering what the conversations between her attorneys are like. They have absolutely no control over their client. At this point they must be so frustrated. They may need to be medicated themselves during her trial! Aye yi yi.

As of a week ago I don’t believe they had yet settled on a course of action for trial. She definitely won’t plea tho. She’ll fight it to the death, no matter the advice. Look how how anxious she is to get out.

Awesome information. Thx for sharing your experience and insight.
Thank you 10, Your knowledge is truly astounding. I would imagine a skilled evaluator, would quickly have Letecia discombobulated. Letecia is arrogant, she will not be able to understand the real intent of the questions, she will truly think she can beat the test.
Please explain bizarre behavior in a clinical manner... I think of Leticias antics as bizarre, but they aren’t actually. We throw out delusional, but that does not fit the actual mental health definition. The behavior of a person in a full blown manic phase seems bizarre, but actually not. I can mangle this from a nonprofessional perspective, you are so good at simplifying some complex issues from
the professional side.
IS Letecia an extreme example or just fairly common abnormal behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member