Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the results of her mental evaluation say she is insane, in addition to her motion to wave a jury trial, will there even be a trial? She wasn't so crazy that she didn't cover up her tracks after the murder. So she knew right from wrong at the beginning of this nightmare. Now, years into this case her antics thus far make me think manipulation rather than insanity IMO.

If the results of her mental evaluation say she is insane, in addition to her motion to wave a jury trial, will there even be a trial? She wasn't so crazy that she didn't cover up her tracks after the murder. So she knew right from wrong at the beginning of this nightmare. Now, years into this case her antics thus far make me think manipulation rather than insanity IMO.
It's extremely rare for a defendant to be found not guilty by reason of insanity, thank goodness. I agree she was 'sane' enough to connive and coverup the murder, she even managed to get poor Gannon's body to Florida in a suitcase under LE's nose.

MOO

It's extremely rare for a defendant to be found not guilty by reason of insanity, thank goodness. I agree she was 'sane' enough to connive and coverup the murder, she even managed to get poor Gannon's body to Florida in a suitcase under LE's nose.

MOO
Even when she arrived at her destination, she was still trying to cover this up. Remember the fake polygraph?

She knew exactly what she was doing the whole way through.

If the evaluation suggests insanity that wouldn't stop the trial. She's been found competent to stand trial (twice) and I can't see any reason there wouldn't be a trial. Findings of insanity at the time of the crime wouldn't stop the trial. The state would challenge those findings during the trial (if those are the findings) and the state would try to show she knew right from wrong at the time of the crime. I'm not sure if her request to waive a jury trial will stand--- her attorney may persuade her not to do that. Or she'll have a bench trial.
JMO

True insanity would almost be merciful.

But she was stone, cold sober and that's the scariest of all. Unfathomable. She chose her actions, her internet searches. She chose her vehicles, she chose her roads. She chose her pinky swears and her weapons. She chose deception. She chose cover up. She chose escape, to SC via a lonely bridge in Florida. Malice, aforethought, and consciousness of guilt.

Sane.

Insanely sane.

IMO she's fit to stand trial.

She's just not fit to stand among men (men, women and children). Because she's vindictive, plotting, cruel and indecent.

Her brain is sane. It's just a filled with an ugly mousetrap of loud marbles. You don't want to fall in.

JMO

Last edited:
Can someone catch me up? She has been found competent to stand trial. Is the latest claim of insanity that she was insane when she committed the crime? TIA
Yes. Competence relates only to whether she can go to trial, understand the charges, and aid in her defense. Has nothing to do with her plea or the crime. Insanity relates to her mental state at the time of the crime. The two aren't alike. Anyone who pleads not guilty by reason of insanity at trial has to be competent (or there wouldn't be a plea at trial.)

Last edited:
Question for y'all...

I've been following some other cases and watching videos of police interrogations - you know, when they have them in the little room (think Jodi Arias)? One of them is regarding a trial that won't take place until November. Why is there no footage out there of L's interrogation? I'd really love to watch it and just observe her body language. Is it because no trial date has been set? Or is it just up to the DA?

While it really ticks me off that she’s not dragged into court spitting, kicking and screaming, I’m saving my real anger for the possibility that this evaluation just may find this bad actress to be insane. Not that I’d believe it for a second.
… I think they’ll discover she’s a sociopath.

Her batting at the air like the Madwoman of Chaillot to feign insanity probably isn’t going to go over too well with the mental health professionals of the 21st century.

Yes. Competence relates only to whether she can go to trial, understand the charges, and aid in her defense. Has nothing to do with her plea or the crime. Insanity relates to her mental state at the time of the crime. The two aren't alike. Anyone who pleads not guilty by reason of insanity at trial has to be competent (or there wouldn't be a plea at trial.)
Thank You so much!

Do we think she’ll be in court tomorrow? I don’t.

No I don't believe tomorrow Wed., 7/27 - they will NOT be in court - but Thursday - the court site still shows a hearing.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
7/28/22 - Escape attempt
1:30 PM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Review WAppearance of Parties D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

7/28/22 - Murder
1:30 PM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Status Conference D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

No I don't believe tomorrow Wed., 7/27 - they will NOT be in court - but Thursday - the court site still shows a hearing.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
7/28/22 - Escape attempt
1:30 PM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Review WAppearance of Parties D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

7/28/22 - Murder
1:30 PM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Status Conference D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search
It seems at least one of the two hearings is designated as LS will appear -- D212020CR3170, whereas the status conference under a different case number does not provide any data here so an appearance by LS probably not required. MOO

ETA: unless Review WAppearance of Parties represents WebEx appearance??

Judge Werner's link

Last edited:
It seems at least one of the two hearings is designated as LS will appear -- D212020CR3170, whereas the status conference under a different case number does not provide any data here so an appearance by LS probably not required. MOO

ETA: unless Review WAppearance of Parties represents WebEx appearnce??

I did notice they changed the Review hearing (escape attempt charge) at 6pm & have now changed it to the same time as the murder charge. I see no motions from LS to not come to the hearing. And usually if it is a WebEx appearance they do put "Virtual" by the time. So we shall see what happens tomorrow.

I'll shorten this up a bit - it has been awhile since she was in court.

Thursday, July 28th:
*Status Conference Hearing (murder) & Review Hearing (escape) (@ 1:30pm MT) – CO – Gannon Stauch (11) (missing Jan. 27, 2020, Colorado Springs; found Mar. 17, 2020 in Pace, FL., Santa Rosa County) – *Letecia Lynn (or Leann) Stauch (36/now 38) aka Letecia “Tecia” Lynn Hardin (maiden name) & Letecia Lynn Hunt (1st married name) Tiffany Taylor Stauch & Taylor Swift arrested (in Myrtle Beach, S.C. 3/2/20) & advised of charges (3/5/20) & formally charged & arraigned (3/11/20) with 1st degree murder of a child under 12, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with deceased human body & tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered. Held without bond. [see below for re-filed charges].
Charged (re-filed 3/20/20) & arraigned (11/4/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree felony murder (after intent & deliberation), 2nd degree felony child abuse resulting in death, 3rd degree felony tampering with deceased human body, 6th degree felony tampering with physical evidence & 8 counts of crime of violence (special enhancer: firearm, blunt instrument, knife or sharp instrument & causing the death of Gannon). Held without bond. Plead not guilty. On 2/11/22 changed plea to not guilty by reason of insanity.
Charged (filed 5/20/20) & charged (6/5/20) with solicitation to commit escape. $2K bond. Plead not guilty.
Trial was set to begin on 3/28/22 was vacated. Judge suggested trial to start in October, 2022 (6 week trial).
Case & court info from 3/2/20 to 3/17/22 reference post #733 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...o-county-27-jan-2020-arrest-51.585803/page-37

4/21/22 Update: Stauch needs more time for medical professionals to complete a mental health evaluation, causing another delay in her trial. Evaluators found Stauch competent to stand trial twice, which means medical professionals believe she is aware of what's going on in trial & capable of assisting her attorneys with her defense. However, her attorneys are now alleging that she was not capable of understanding what was going on at the time of the murder. In court Thursday, Stauch's attorneys communicated to Judge Gregory Werner that those evaluators need more time to complete their report, possibly through May. Stauch's court-appointed defense counsel, Josh Tolini, told Judge Werner that he's planning to go to South Carolina next week to get access to some records for her evaluation. It appears the medical professionals want to complete a follow-up interview with Stauch after they receive access to those records. Stauch's next court appearance is scheduled for 6/9/22, to give evaluators enough time to complete their reports.
6/9/22 Update: A staffing shortage there has created an intense backlog of patients waiting for evaluations, leading to a delay in Stauch's full mental health report being ready for review by both legal teams. “I was hoping that we would be much, much further along at this point, but there isn’t anything I can do about this either,” Judge Gregory Werner said in court Thursday about the delays. Josh Tolini, Stauch's attorney, asked Judge Werner to order CMHIP to release some of their documents/recordings from their evaluation with Stauch to both legal teams to move the process along. The judge indicated he would issue that order. The judge agreed to set a tentative trial date for late October, but 4th Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen indicated in court Thursday that it was highly likely that at least one of the legal teams would be "dissatisfied" with the mental health evaluation report, prompting another doctor to evaluate Stauch again. A second evaluation (which is highly likely) will push the trial into 2023. Stauch's attorneys also filed a motion to waive her appearance at her hearing, which a judge granted, meaning she was not present in the courtroom Thursday. She hasn't appeared in court for her hearings in months. Stauch's current mental health evaluation is expected to be completed by July, so her next status hearing was scheduled for 7/28/22 at 1:30pm & review hearing for escape attempt charge.

After several delays stretching back to the beginning of this year, Letecia Stauch may have her mental health evaluation returned on Thursday.

Stauch — who is accused of having killed her 11-year-old stepson Gannon in 2020 — saw her most recent hearing in May delayed when it was revealed that her mental health evaluation was still not complete.

Stauch, 38, has been awaiting trial on the case for more than two years, but when Stauch changed her not-guilty plea in February to not guilty by reason of insanity, it required the state to conduct a mental health evaluation on Stauch.

On Thursday, Stauch is scheduled to appear in court, where the results of the mental health evaluation could be revealed.

Judge Gregory Werner stated during Stauch's most recent hearing in June that he expected the evaluation would be ready by the end of July.

[…]

Stauch will also have her second case, an escape attempt from El Paso County jail, reviewed in court on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
siblingminds