Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I can understand this rule, it is unfortunate. Especially when they are asking for the public's help/assistance.

Thanks to all that answered my question oh so politely.

I do understand why someone close to Gannon might reach out to the public on SM. My hope is, a journalist will reach back, and help this person reach a much wider audience, if LE deems it to be helpful.

jmo

In the spirit of keeping it simple....I think one possibility is that LS did take Gannon somewhere to 'hike'. By accident or not, if Gannon fell into a ravine and LS didn't summon help, what would his chances of survival have been? In this hypothetical scenario, even if a fall didn't seriously injure him he could have been unable to extricate himself from his situation. With no food/water/shelter, how long would he have survived?

Lying by omission is the bigger problem for me. Has TS offered one useful sentence/explanation/suggestion for finding Gannon?

ETA...
His step mom. The last person who may have seen him alive. The last person who should have known what he was wearing. Should have known a few friends names to call if he “ran away”…..should have been raising hell with the police and MSM if she really thought he was kidnapped and she supposedly had descriptions of persons and a vehicle to boot. Lies of omission if her other comments aren’t lies.

Yeah, I forgot about the fact that she said he was wearing jeans when the video shows he's wearing track pants with a stripe.

In the spirit of keeping it simple....I think one possibility is that LS did take Gannon somewhere to 'hike'. By accident or not, if Gannon fell into a ravine and LS didn't summon help, what would his chances of survival have been? In this hypothetical scenario, even if a fall didn't seriously injure him he could have been unable to extricate himself from his situation. With no food/water/shelter, how long would he have survived?

Depending on how cold, I would guess 72 hours if no food or water at all for a child.

It's just not worth wasting a minute on this thought of ATVs on the open space carting around anybody. Even if someone did trailer an ATV to the open space parking area, or steal an ATV from the neighborhood, the nosy neighbors/hikers/rangers/etc would be all over that person like a swarm of bees. It's just not done. Plus, not to be crass, but if you want to dump a body, go West, not East. Spruce Mountain is East--it looks like wilderness but it's not. There are trails all over the butte, it's kind of like an island in the middle of the prairie, it is not a place to hide a body. Even the caves are known. I was very relieved when the search moved away from the western slopes--the gateway to 1.2 million acres of Pike National Forest. Now, someone intent on hiding a body could do that here. But it would have to be orchestrated for someone from outside this area to do such a thing. I'm only posting as a Woodmoor Mt local to provide, hopefully, some helpful "real world" viewpoints. Having said that, yes, indeed, anything is possible.
so would she be able to drive the ATV or something similar out to that area or would she have to pull it on a trailer behind her vehicle?[/

The only thing I've come up with is, if they get a lead about another potential search area, OR, if they become aware that a perp is in the area of one of the current search areas.

That sounds likely. I just don’t understand why they would choose that wording? It seems like it would be used if they were intending to rescue an endangered person etc.

Was really hoping for (and kind of expecting) an update from LE today. Obviously, I know they do not have to provide daily updates , but I find it strange that we haven’t heard much from them recently. I am afraid that after 6 days of searching they came up empty....

First, she says Gannon left the house to visit a friend. There's a lie of omission if the following statement of hers is true:

As she then says someone (a person, later referred to as "he") accompanied Gannon.

Somehow, she knows what happened to him ("it's an accident") but if that's truthful, then she's heinous in not revealing the nature of the accident. She also states that he is alive, but gives no clue as to how she knows this. She also has a lot of inconsistencies and I don't believe her when she says she told the police on Monday about the stranger who was accompanying him. If she had told the police about the "person" who collected Gannon on Monday, they would not have coded him initially as a runaway.

Anyway if she's telling the truth, she's one of the most reprehensible people I've encountered in a lifetime of immersion in true crime. Not a liar, but something much worse: Somebody who knows way more about what happened to a missing child, knows that he's alive, refuses to reveal where he is to his parents.

BBM
Not a liar, but something much worse: Somebody who knows way more about what happened to a missing child, knows that he's alive, refuses to reveal where he is to his parents.

This. She's a sadistic liar - commits a crime specifically to retaliate, to punish the parents, and then relish the pain you cause by not telling what you know. She knows and she won't tell. TS gets a "two-fer" from social media: unlimited attention AND the chance to drop little fake tidbits into many FB group pages either as herself, or under an alias.

So hard to not devolve into rehashing minutiae here with little to no legitimate communication with the relevant parties, and details posted on SM that can't be verified. So little is known about Gannon, about what's happening daily, as someone posted upthread, as we haven't had much information from or access to the parents as other similar cases have had.

Why is this case so button-down and close-mouthed?

Absolutely. This lady is not some criminal mastermind, and this isn’t some bad movie.

This is real life, and likely not all that complicated. It’s filling in the missing pieces that can take time.

I'm all for keeping it simple but if we can't discuss SM posts and have to stick to the simplist options, this would be stagnant at thread #3. Most likely when the facts come out it will be shockingly simple. But my inner Columbo keeps controlling my thumbs on this screen.

February 18, 2020
Sheriff's Office Update on Gannon Stauch Case

The El Paso County Sheriff's Office continues to investigate the disappearance of Gannon Stauch. The absence of information provided to the public does not mean the investigation has slowed down. To date there have been 637 tips received, over 7,000 hours of investigative work done by the Sheriff’s Office and the FBI; over 8,400 staff hours put into the search efforts. This has included large scale searches in addition to small, specific searches. The search efforts consisted of utilizing drones, horses and canines. The investigation and search processes continue to run parallel with one another.

SEARCH PARTNERS: INVESTIGATION PARTNERS:
Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office Army (multiple units - volunteers) Colorado Springs Police Department
Colorado Parks and Wildlife FBI (Child Abduction Rapid Deployment)
Colorado Springs Fire and Police Department National Center for Missing and Exploited
Douglas County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Children (NCMEC)
FBI (Evidence Response Team)
Fountain Police Department
El Paso County Public Works / Emergency Incident Support
Flight for Life (searching purposes only)
Fremont County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)
National Guard 100th Missile Defense Brigade (volunteers)
Pikes Peak Office of Emergency Management
Salvation Army, Verizon Wireless, and VOAD

If you have any credible information please either call our Tip Line at 719-520-6666 or email to Tips@elpasoco.com. Tips we have received have included possible sightings, search suggestions, social media related information, suspicious activity, found property/possible evidence and video/photo/drone evidence.

The goal remains to find Gannon and bring him home safely. This is a very active and fluid investigation. Specific details will be released as the investigation allows.

MR 20-034
Sheriff's Office Update on Gannon Stauch Case

Does anyone seriously believe he cut his foot on Saturday night on an infamous "laying about" tool and then hiked for two or more hours on Sunday????????

Although she does seem to be the wicked step mother type, no, I don't believe much of anything she says, certainly not anything surrounding his disappearance.

Someone refresh my memory...in her initial interview, did TS say that they had a police presence with them at the hotel they were at?

No, she complains of people harassing her near the hotel, on the road (people are trying to run her off the road).

About 8 days went by between the 911 call and the surfacing of the surveillance video.

Snipped from an older Colorado Springs newspaper highlighting runaway stats and protocol. Interesting read:

So when you consider that Colorado Springs Police and the El Paso County Sheriff's Office work a combined total of some 900 runaway-teen cases each year, it brings home the possibility of a tragic end to a life that's just getting started.

Police and sheriff's personnel say they prioritize runaways as much as they can, given that running away from home isn't a crime, but they can't call out the cavalry every time teenagers decide they'll take their chances on the streets. Springs Police added a part-time investigator last year to focus exclusively on runaways, but he can do only so much. So in some ways, parents are on their own if their teen runs away, and a search can turn into an agonizing ordeal of waiting and wondering.

The Sheriff's Office sends deputies to take runaway reports in person, and if the child isn't found within 45 days, dental records and DNA samples are obtained, Jaworski says — a step in preparation for the most devastating outcome.

Police, too, have that outcome in the back of their minds while working runaway cases, and it's one reason they've beefed up their approach by hiring a part-time civilian investigator, Ken Larsen, who focuses on runaways. By gathering as much information as possible ahead of time, if a youth winds up dead, "We've already started the investigation," Larsen says.

It's that fear that any missing person, or even a runaway, is going to turn into that worst-case scenario," says his boss, Lt. Adrian Vasquez, who oversees violent crimes and Larsen's unit. Larsen works 29 hours a week mining social media for clues to where kids might be hiding. He also talks to friends, classmates, neighbors and others.

Moreover, Larsen says media attention usually isn't a good tool to locate runaways for several reasons. First, there are so many runaways, the public might become numb to such notices. Second, public announcements can either play into kids' attention-seeking behavior or drive them further underground, he says.

She says, via email, "There is a significant correlation between previous abuse at home and runaway rates. For example, children who were sexually abused are more than twice as likely to have run away from home (17 percent) than those who were not sexually abused (7.9 percent). Youths who are physically abused are three times as likely to run."
Runaway
Thanks for this. This is exactly why I have stated why it was a crucial mistake for LE to label this as a runaway in the beginning. They lost the firsts days of investigating the way it should have been done. The first days are crucial in solving missing person cases......statistically the odds are against cases being solved the longer the investigation takes. If this case turns cold, I predict LE will be scrutinized for the way they handled this in the early phase, and rightfully so.

This is not a case of a teen missing. This is an 11yo, sheltered boy, with no phone, no transportation, no money. A fifth grade boy with no survival skills and no history of running away. This was handled poorly in my opinion.

with that said, I do agree that they are doing a great job thus far since labeling this case endangered.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member