Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case any wild ideas...motorized vehicles are not allowed on the county open space, parking is severely limited, sound carries, neighbors are close by, the area is patrolled by rangers (granted, not many and not often), so I'd rule out ATV/snowmobile possibility.
Yes this is and....it's not a James Bond movie. There are not ATV's and snowmobiles just sitting around ready to be ridden. And there aren't wood chippers off of the side of the road either.

Yes, the truth matters. But guilt and innocence matters too. And bringing Gannon home matters the most.

But regarding the SM or anyone else, I am strongly on the side of justice. There are many holes in the SM's recollection of events, but I only know of one confirmed lie. I believe there are details that she knows and hasn't given to LE. She is guilty of something, but I don't know what at this point.

But I am not willing to convict her of particular crimes that may or may not have occurred. I am not in a rush to be right, and I'm OK with being wrong. Past history tells us the most probable path this goes down, and I think this is how you are thinking.

I just see some things here that don't add up yet.

Lying by omission is the bigger problem for me. Has TS offered one useful sentence/explanation/suggestion for finding Gannon?

ETA...
His step mom. The last person who may have seen him alive. The last person who should have known what he was wearing. Should have known a few friends names to call if he “ran away”…..should have been raising hell with the police and MSM if she really thought he was kidnapped and she supposedly had descriptions of persons and a vehicle to boot. Lies of omission if her other comments aren’t lies.

Last edited:
I wonder if Landon (or someone to speak on her behalf) would want to join our group or is that a bad idea all together? I do wish we had a verified insider. I'm not in any way encouraging anyone to reach out to her, but if anyone were here that might be in a position to be verified... JMO MOO Don't eat me.

So you're saying she is a liar? ;)

I think we only know of one lie that I am aware of, that GS left the house to visit a friend.

Everything else we think is a lie, we can't actually prove at this time. But there appear to be many untruths in what she has said based on the unlikely nature of her "facts", and because most of these facts exonerate her in GS's harm and disappearance.

I personally think she mixes lies in with the truth. LE certainly has a better handle on what the truths are, and what the lies are.

Overall, I'm sure LE prefers lies over a POI that lawyers up.

First, she says Gannon left the house to visit a friend. There's a lie of omission if the following statement of hers is true:

As she then says someone (a person, later referred to as "he") accompanied Gannon.

Somehow, she knows what happened to him ("it's an accident") but if that's truthful, then she's heinous in not revealing the nature of the accident. She also states that he is alive, but gives no clue as to how she knows this. She also has a lot of inconsistencies and I don't believe her when she says she told the police on Monday about the stranger who was accompanying him. If she had told the police about the "person" who collected Gannon on Monday, they would not have coded him initially as a runaway.

Anyway if she's telling the truth, she's one of the most reprehensible people I've encountered in a lifetime of immersion in true crime. Not a liar, but something much worse: Somebody who knows way more about what happened to a missing child, knows that he's alive, refuses to reveal where he is to his parents.

By

declaring this a runaway, different investigative protocol is utilized. The very reason it was so important that the investigation was changed to endangered is so that they could be allowed to use the investigative protocols they are now being able to utilize. This is not just TS fault, this is also LE fault. There is a reason that in other missing child cases, LE doesn’t just believe the caretaker saying it’s a runaway situation. This is a major miscalculation on LE part. MOO
Snipped from an older Colorado Springs newspaper highlighting runaway stats and protocol. Interesting read:

So when you consider that Colorado Springs Police and the El Paso County Sheriff's Office work a combined total of some 900 runaway-teen cases each year, it brings home the possibility of a tragic end to a life that's just getting started.

Police and sheriff's personnel say they prioritize runaways as much as they can, given that running away from home isn't a crime, but they can't call out the cavalry every time teenagers decide they'll take their chances on the streets. Springs Police added a part-time investigator last year to focus exclusively on runaways, but he can do only so much. So in some ways, parents are on their own if their teen runs away, and a search can turn into an agonizing ordeal of waiting and wondering.

The Sheriff's Office sends deputies to take runaway reports in person, and if the child isn't found within 45 days, dental records and DNA samples are obtained, Jaworski says — a step in preparation for the most devastating outcome.

Police, too, have that outcome in the back of their minds while working runaway cases, and it's one reason they've beefed up their approach by hiring a part-time civilian investigator, Ken Larsen, who focuses on runaways. By gathering as much information as possible ahead of time, if a youth winds up dead, "We've already started the investigation," Larsen says.

It's that fear that any missing person, or even a runaway, is going to turn into that worst-case scenario," says his boss, Lt. Adrian Vasquez, who oversees violent crimes and Larsen's unit. Larsen works 29 hours a week mining social media for clues to where kids might be hiding. He also talks to friends, classmates, neighbors and others.

Moreover, Larsen says media attention usually isn't a good tool to locate runaways for several reasons. First, there are so many runaways, the public might become numb to such notices. Second, public announcements can either play into kids' attention-seeking behavior or drive them further underground, he says.

She says, via email, "There is a significant correlation between previous abuse at home and runaway rates. For example, children who were sexually abused are more than twice as likely to have run away from home (17 percent) than those who were not sexually abused (7.9 percent). Youths who are physically abused are three times as likely to run."
Runaway

I hate to even type this...but given the nature of the person in question, perhaps it was regarded as 'one final selfie', also to be used as proof that he was there with her that morning, of course. If, in fact, such a pic even exists.
All MOO.

MOO is there is no such selfie. This is MOO based on the way he appeared (to me) to walk to the car. He didn't look in the mood for selfies. IMO only

Snipped from an older Colorado Springs newspaper highlighting runaway stats and protocol. Interesting read:

So when you consider that Colorado Springs Police and the El Paso County Sheriff's Office work a combined total of some 900 runaway-teen cases each year, it brings home the possibility of a tragic end to a life that's just getting started.

Police and sheriff's personnel say they prioritize runaways as much as they can, given that running away from home isn't a crime, but they can't call out the cavalry every time teenagers decide they'll take their chances on the streets. Springs Police added a part-time investigator last year to focus exclusively on runaways, but he can do only so much. So in some ways, parents are on their own if their teen runs away, and a search can turn into an agonizing ordeal of waiting and wondering.

The Sheriff's Office sends deputies to take runaway reports in person, and if the child isn't found within 45 days, dental records and DNA samples are obtained, Jaworski says — a step in preparation for the most devastating outcome.

Police, too, have that outcome in the back of their minds while working runaway cases, and it's one reason they've beefed up their approach by hiring a part-time civilian investigator, Ken Larsen, who focuses on runaways. By gathering as much information as possible ahead of time, if a youth winds up dead, "We've already started the investigation," Larsen says.

It's that fear that any missing person, or even a runaway, is going to turn into that worst-case scenario," says his boss, Lt. Adrian Vasquez, who oversees violent crimes and Larsen's unit. Larsen works 29 hours a week mining social media for clues to where kids might be hiding. He also talks to friends, classmates, neighbors and others.

Moreover, Larsen says media attention usually isn't a good tool to locate runaways for several reasons. First, there are so many runaways, the public might become numb to such notices. Second, public announcements can either play into kids' attention-seeking behavior or drive them further underground, he says.

She says, via email, "There is a significant correlation between previous abuse at home and runaway rates. For example, children who were sexually abused are more than twice as likely to have run away from home (17 percent) than those who were not sexually abused (7.9 percent). Youths who are physically abused are three times as likely to run."
Runaway
excellent info, thanks for finding it.

Yes this is and....it's not a James Bond movie. There are not ATV's and snowmobiles just sitting around ready to be ridden. And there aren't wood chippers off of the side of the road either.

I totally get that it's unlikely, but we're talking about someone needing to dump a body quickly. Many/most people in my neighborhood in Larkspur have ATV's or something similar. We have a Gator that we use for yard work and plowing. It would be easy to move a body across the terrain by Spruce Mountain with our Gator. Granted, it's not legal in that open space, but these people would be less worried about the legalities and more worried about getting it done.

Lying by omission is the bigger problem for me. Has TS offered one useful sentence/explanation/suggestion for finding Gannon?

ETA...
His step mom. The last person who may have seen him alive. The last person who should have known what he was wearing. Should have known a few friends names to call if he “ran away”…..should have been raising hell with the police and MSM if she really thought he was kidnapped and she supposedly had descriptions of persons and a vehicle to boot. Lies of omission if her other comments aren’t lies.

This. I know we've seen it before but it never fails to shock and shake me to the core. That an adult who should love and care for a child...could be so distant from his life to not even keep up with his neighborhood friends, to seemingly not care about his disappearance, and perhaps ultimately be responsible for it.

Last edited:
Now we can beat to death what "being able to deploy rapidly" means :) That should take us through dinner time on the east coast!

Yes!! What does this mean?!? “Deploy rapidly” makes me think there’s a small chance they think he could be alive. Or does it mean “deploy rapidly” to take SM into custody??

I think this may be one of the most difficult-to-moderate cases I've seen here. I haven't been around that long but seriously, it's so hard to keep track of which things we can discuss (because LS mentioned them in a statement to MSM) and which things she only implied and which things (hundreds of things) LS said only on SM. It's all over the place. Lots of new people too. We're all trying to be good!

There's been a lot of talk about SM being "kicked out" of the house. In that bizarre "interview" she gave, she said she was "basically" told she couldn't be there. To me, this is a softening of the statement. She wasn't outright TOLD; she was "basically" told. She said she can't go there or she'll be harassed. She doesn't say she can't go there at all. She doesn't say who she is going to be harassed by. IMO and MOO, this is very telling. Apologies if this has been discussed already. I've missed some pages. Everything is JMO

I totally get that it's unlikely, but we're talking about someone needing to dump a body quickly. Many/most people in my neighborhood in Larkspur have ATV's or something similar. We have a Gator that we use for yard work and plowing. It would be easy to move a body across the terrain by Spruce Mountain with our Gator. Granted, it's not legal in that open space, but these people would be less worried about the legalities and more worried about getting it done.
Yes I agree, the people LIVING out there have them. But I can't just drive up a mountain road, park my car, and use one.

Yes!! What does this mean?!? “Deploy rapidly” makes me think there’s a small chance they think he could be alive. Or does it mean “deploy rapidly” to take SM into custody??

The only thing I've come up with is, if they get a lead about another potential search area, OR, if they become aware that a perp is in the area of one of the current search areas.

so would she be able to drive the ATV or something similar out to that area or would she have to pull it on a trailer behind her vehicle?

Just relating to my own experience, what if AS is a hunter and uses land 45min away? I hunt 4 hrs away and have a ranger stored at a neighbors down there. They wouldn't think twice about seeing my truck in the access road, would just assume I'm out adjusting stands or something. That area they searched is like 3 or 4 40 acre lots behind the gate. 40 acres is easily a good hunting spot. Maybe a vacant 40 acre lot is where they go hunting and the red truck wouldn't raise suspicion until it makes the news, which at that time, stuff is long gone well past the 40 acres via 4-wheeler.

A long shot, but IMO you're not out of the realm to say they have equipment somewhere to get further out into the wild.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around her taking him and meeting someone to take him, ATVs, horses, extravagant plans/scenarios, etc.
I think a simple explanation is it, IMO. KISS.
She hurt him, then tried to cover it up to save herself. Quick removal, not well thought out, sloppy. Hopefully she made a lot of mistakes that will end her. I just hope it can be resolved sooner rather than later. :(

Having said all this, I also wouldn't be surprised by crazy stories and twists, either. There is some level of mental instability going on here....
Absolutely. This lady is not some criminal mastermind, and this isn’t some bad movie.

This is real life, and likely not all that complicated. It’s filling in the missing pieces that can take time.

Yes, the truth matters. But guilt and innocence matters too. And bringing Gannon home matters the most.

But regarding the SM or anyone else, I am strongly on the side of justice. There are many holes in the SM's recollection of events, but I only know of one confirmed lie. I believe there are details that she knows and hasn't given to LE. She is guilty of something, but I don't know what at this point.

But I am not willing to convict her of particular crimes that may or may not have occurred. I am not in a rush to be right, and I'm OK with being wrong. Past history tells us the most probable path this goes down, and I think this is how you are thinking.

I just see some things here that don't add up yet.

Exactly who needs to be right about anything like this. Love to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon