GUILTY CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #69

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Al really got some good ones in.
“ waking up to a warm Kosher meal “

I don’t know how he contained his anger, but I think the snark helped him.

I’m so glad he got to express it.
He expressed himself beautifully and with such heart. I had a difficult time understanding a few of his words because I was ugly crying. What did he say about a father being handcuffed and being removed from the home?

But Pueblo isn't just a mental hospital - it's also the Top Level (Level 5) Prison for patients who are dangerous and whose behavioral problems cannot be managed elsewhere.

She will likely end up there anyway (because I don't think she's got the kind of issues that cause some prisoners - like Charles Manson - to sort of "sundown" and quit acting out).

She's a danger to others and belongs in a top security facility and frankly, yes, they probably will need restraints and medication on an ongoing basis to keep her from hurting others. Staff will include many people trained to deal with excruciatingly manipulative people like T. She will have less of a chance of "making prison friends" and plotting new escapes, as policies there will be very strict.

Guilty but still a danger to others due to behavioral issues. I think that describes a woman who attacked LE with a can, got out of her handcuffs and later corresponded with a fellow inmate to try and escape. She is going to be mega-disruptive, on the ground, day -to-day imo. Staff at Pueblo should not be phased, they're used to it.

Let her duke it out with other, similar people who are hell bent on attacking others, getting attention, scheming, manipulating, shouting and acting out.

IMO.

I disagree.

Specific to women convicted in Colorado including LS, there are only two DOC choices for female inmates and San Carlos is not one of them. For example, James Holmes is housed at SCCF.

IMO, she's most likely going to remain at DWCF after reception/evaluation. Please take note LS will not be deprived of mental health services at DWCF:

Currently, Colorado operates two correctional facilities for women, the Denver Women's Correctional Facility and the La Vista Correctional Facility.

Built in 1998, Denver Women’s Correctional Facility (DWCF) is one of two correctional facilities for women in CDOC. DWCF is the largest and houses female inmates at all custody levels. DWCF has several unique responsibilities and programs for women inmates to include: housing all pregnant inmates, inmates with high medical and mental health needs, an intake unit, incentive unit, management control unit, a therapeutic community, and a Residential Treatment Program (RTP) for inmates with severe mental health treatment needs. DWCF has a capacity of 984 beds. DWCF also houses 17 female parolees who are participating in the Alternative Stabilization Assistance Program (ASAP).

Warden Ryan Long

La Vista Correctional Facility (LVCF) was opened in July 2006, providing the Colorado Department of Corrections with a new multi-custody Level III facility for female inmates. In July 2020, legislation was passed reducing the bed capacity from 707 to 560 leaving 3 living units with a capacity of 78 beds, 2 living units with a capacity of 80 beds, and Unit 1 and Unit 4 Therapeutic Community consisting of 76 beds each. LVCF also has 14 general population beds in the Intake Diagnostic Orientation (IDO) unit and a 15 bed classification review unit. The facility has a mixed classification of female inmates ranging from minimum to close custody. Services provided by housing assignment include a Therapeutic Community, Re-entry services and an Incentive unit.

Warden Tom Werlich

Last edited:
Multiple people mentioned HH, not least AS and Judge Werner. Everyone talked about her in the context of being a child and a victim. Judge in particular tore strips off LS during sentencing for basically using HH and putting her at risk of prosecution and open to continuing accusations even though in his words, there was absolutely no evidence she had any knowledge or willingly participated in any of the crime or the aftermath. His language was absolutely unequivocal. I hope it helps HH, that people will leave her alone.

MOO

EDIT: this was meant to be a reply to @Coloradogirl

I am traveling, so I got to watch everything after it was all said and done, and I am glad the jury reached the correct verdict in this case. And the judge, I cannot say enough about that judge, he sentenced her correctly, his recounts of why he was sentencing her was amazing. I am so glad that there is justice for Gannon today!

He expressed himself beautifully and with such heart. I had a difficult time understanding a few of his words because I was ugly crying. What did he say about a father being handcuffed and being removed from the home?
I missed some of his statements so I don’t recall that! Will have to listen to it again tonight.

Court is going on the record now for Jury questions in the

First Question: Can we have an index list of all exhibits

Second question: Can we have both a preliminary and final report from Dr. Lewis. Judge's proposed response is expert reports are not introduce as evidence in a trial. Allen said they were not admitted as evidence.

They are sending back the exhibit list and answer to second question. Judge says that takes care of everything at this point and time. Judge says he is still going to give 30 minutes post verdict "with some grace" if family needs more time to get into the court room.
Court is now in recess until verdict or further jury questions.

Signs outside of the courtroom saying Justice for #Gannon as the jury deliberates inside. A sonic towel is taped down to a rock here. Sonic was one of Gannon’s favorite video game characters.

Heading in now

STAUCH VERDICT : I will post the verdict and everything that happens in the courtroom here. Waiting to be let in. There's a large line of people waiting to listen to the #leteciastauchtrial verdict in person.

Just seated in the front row. All of Gannon's family is here in the courtroom.

Charges we will hear verdict on: Murder-1st degree - after deliberation Murder-1st degree - child under 12 position of trust Tampering w/ a deceased human body Tampering w/ physical evidence

Judge is in the courtroom.

Judge is asking for no emotional outbursts. He says the jury has worked hard on this verdict.

Jury is here

#BREAKING: Jury finds Letecia Stauch guilty of 1st degree murder after deliberation in the death of her 11-year-old stepson Gannon Stauch.

Jury finds Letecia Stauch guilty of 1st degree murder of a child under 12 by person in a position of trust in the death of her stepson Gannon Stauch

family is crying in courtroom

Jury finds Letecia Stauch guilty of tampering w/ a deceased human body in the death of her stepson Gannon Stauch

Jury finds Letecia Stauch guilty of tampering w/ physical evidence in the death of her stepson Gannon Stauch

#BREAKING: Jury finds Letecia Stauch guilty of the following: Murder-1st degree - after deliberation Murder-1st degree - child under 12 position of trust Tampering w/ a deceased human body Tampering w/ physical evidence

Many tears on the faces of #GannonStauch biological family members. You can hear the tears as they now learn a jury found #LeteciaStauch guilty on all charges before them.

Judge needs a half hour with jury then sentencing. Both prosecution and defense are ready. Allen: "The family has been thinking about this day for three years. They are ready for sentencing."

Allen: "The family has been thinking about this day for three years. They are ready for sentencing.”

STAUCH SENTENCING : Jury found #leteciastauch guilty on all charges presented to them (see previous thread). Sentencing will start here in a few minutes. We could hear impact statements from loved ones.

Letecia Stauch is now being hand cuffed in the courtroom.

Judge is now back in the courtroom.

Allen says family members would like to speak at sentencing.

• First statement is Stauch's former neighbor Nicole Mobley. She testified in the trial. "It's been heartbreaking and to finally see some justice for his family is incredible.”

• Second statement Mrs. Cadenas. She's sat with the Gannon's family for the last three years as a community member in Lorson Ranch. She's thanking the judge for the fairness. "We were scared to let our kids outside, we were scared they would be kidnapped."

• Third statement is Jeff Davenport, Al Stauch's uncle. "This now convicted murderer did not just murder Gannon, she murdered all of the love, joy and security he would have brought to all those he would have brought to in his life.” Jeff Davenport, Al Stauch's uncle: "Because of her crime, all of our fragile trust in one another has been eroded."

• Veronica Birkenstock, Gannon's Great Aunt is speaking now. "Nothing in life prepares you for a murder of a child, no one thinks this could happen to your family." Veronica: "We want the court to know we have forgiven Letecia. I pray today you judge will give her what she deserves on this earth and god will give her what she deserves for eternity." Veronica held Gannon when he was a premature baby. "He is our hero and he will always be my hero. Letecia has tried to steal many things from my niece." Veronica: "I pray that you will give her the sentence she deserves, but I also pray God will repent her.”

• Bob Rogers is Al's father-in-law. He became Gannon's grandfather after he was murdered and didn't get the chance to meet him. "We never want the spirit of Gannon and memory of Gannon to be lost. I am at a loss for words.”

• Debra Pearce is Gannon's grandmother. "I feel if Gannon were here today he would say please, please protect my family and be concerned for the loss they have had.”

• Landen Bullard is Gannon's biological mom. "I miss you Gannon and I love you to the moon and back and back again. I know every day you are with me in your sisters.” Our biggest blessing came into the world weighing only 1 pound, 8 oz. "You forever changed my heart and my life and that would never change that is something that could never be taken away from me. He came into this world fighting and unfortunately he left this world fighting.”

Landen: "For three years I have tried to forgive you but I can't, I want to but no parent should have to bury your child. She has taken away the most precious gift in this world. She's destroyed dozens of lives of people who never wanted to believe she could have done this.”

Landen: "Mother to mother I trusted her with my children.”

Landen: "Even when I was fighting for my kids and you wrote a false smear campaign against me and my children, and also Al, for me I was still appreciative you still loved us, so I thought. She fooled us all.”

Landen: "I can't say she ruined my life because that would be some form of sick victory for her, because even through this process it's been a game for her.”

Landen: "How truly sick and cruel is she. You stole so much from this world.”

Landen: "Laina is missing her brother. Your honor, I've never seen a bond so close.”

Landen: "When she was attacking and killing her he fought for his life still loving her....the lack of remorse the lack of respect for Gannon in this trial...she manipulated all of us and never loved Gannon, Laina or Harley.”

"I've had to watch images no one wants left on their mind. You wanted to torture us but no one underestimates me...I will continue to hold on to my faith, I have to have trust in that...Tecia you underestimated this community.”

Landen: "Your honor I just pray you give the longest sentencing you can this will not bring my son back, but I can sleep soundly for the first time in three years knowing she can never harm again."

• Al Stauch, Gannon's father is now talking. He proudly spells out father through tears.

Al Stauch: "Gannon barely filled my two hands the first time I held him, but at the end of his life, after his body was cremated to ashes he was ultimately the same size.”

Al Stauch: "It was only by the grace of god that Gannon's precious body was found.”

Al Stauch: "I am not seeking any restitution your honor.”

Al Stauch: "Speaking of Harley, I feel like I have lost two children in this tragedy.”

Al Stauch: "Laina's loss is like none I can imagine. She lost her big brother”.

Al is reading Laina's words to Tecia "You do not do that to people, especially your step kids and that it is never alright to do these things”.

Al: "Gannon I never would have in a million years thought you would be in danger bud..(he is very emotional you can feel the pain in the courtroom)..I am so sorry.”

Al and Landen just said they are sorry to each other in front of the judge.

Al is asking the judge for Letecia to be stripped of the Stauch last name immediately.

Al emotionally described the dreams he wishes Letecia experiences every night. He hopes she relieves the final moments of Gannon's final words and last breath. He wishes that Letecia would tell him Gannon's last words. You can hear the whole courtroom crying, feel the pain.

DA Allen is now addressing the judge.

Allen: "The defendant through her own actions, tore Gannon's family apart, tore this community apart, and at the same time i've never seen a community come together in the way that they did over an 11-year-old boy that most of them never knew.”

Allen says he has been a prosecutor for a long time, has never seen such horror as with this defendant.

Letecia is not going to make a statement, on the advice of counsel, according to Tolini.
Judge: "I have heard a lot, I want to take about 10 minutes to put my thoughts in order. I will come back with my sentencing at 3:25 pm.”

In the interest in getting Letecia into DOC custody as soon as possible, Allen is asking for max sentence on everything today and says the court can drop the additional case from when Letecia is accused of trying to escape from El Paso County Jail.

Al just gave me Laina’s, Gannon’s little sister’s statement to

Judge Werner: "A parent's worst nightmare is getting a phone call letting them know something has happen to their child.”

Judge Werner: "I cannot fathom the pain Mr. Stauch and Ms. Bullard have experienced as a result of the defendant's actions."

Judge to Letecia: "You took away every day that Mr. Stauch or Ms. Bullard could have had with their son. When you take a life, regardless of the way you do that, you forever alter the future.”

Judge Werner: "You betrayed your daughter Harley Hunt. I cannot imagine the emotional impact you have had on her due to your selfish and calculated actions.”

Judge Werner: "There is no evidence that she (Harley) had anything to do with the murder or your cover-up of it but some people still think she was involved, she wasn't.”

Judge Werner: "While thankfully she didn't testify, let's not forget about Laina. You betrayed her too, you took her brother from her.”

Judge Werner: "You betrayed your stepson and you took his life, you took away everything he was and everything he could ever become. I can't imagine the terror and confusion he must have felt in the last moments in his life…”.

Judge Werner: "Your claim that a mental health issue caused the murder in this case is a disservice to people who face mental health issues every day.”

Judge: "You knew what you we're doing and made a number of conscious decisions"

Judge: "It is not hard to imagine Gannon saying something 'your not my mom' 'I want my mom, I want my dad' and that would be enough to make you really angry, but anger is not an excuse.”

Judge to Letecia: "It is clear that you hated or we're jealous of Landon Bullard."

Judge: "It's clear you felt trapped, you wanted out. You were searching for a new job and career in Florida.”

Judge: "I'm also reminded of the look you had on your face when you slipped your handcuffs on the way back to the springs...I shudder to think that's the last face Gannon saw before he died."

Judge: "You have shown no remorse."

Judge: "You lied because you didn't want to face the consequences...you slipped up at various points and let kernels of truth escape.”

Judge tells Letecia, in all of her stories "you were always the victim”.

Judge: "...then you saw the mountain of evidence against you and this is a mountain the size of Everest...you carefully crafted your new story to avoid responsibility.”

Judge: "We all have free will and we all make choices based on that free will, the people that suffer from the mental disorder you claim are terrified because their free will has been taken from them...you didn't behave anything like that.”
"I have had a number of cases which have demonstrated one person's capacity of cruelty towards a human being, I can say without hesitation that facts of this case are horrific beyond what I've ever seen. “

Murder-1st- after delib - life with no possibility of parole Murder-1st - child under 12 position of trust - life with no possibility of parole Tampering w/ deceased human body - 12 yrs with 3 year period of parole, consecutive Tampering w/ physical evidence - 18 months

Letecia taken out in cuffs

District attorney will hold a press conference around 4:45-5 pm. We are here. We also talked to Letecia’s attorney will have a whole wrap of everything said post trial at 5, 7, 9 and 10 tonight on @KDVR

Allen: “There’s without a doubt that Devine intervention played a role in this case.”

“God’s fingerprints are on this case” - Allen talking about Devine intervention with bridge inspectors finding Gannon’s body in Florida and blood-stained board being found in Colorado.

Allen says Letecia will never breathe a free breath again. He apologizes to Al and Landen saying the DAs office will always be there for him.

We are streaming this live on our website @KDVR

Sheriff: “Law enforcement agencies across the country came together to seek justice tor Gannon, for the family of Gannon hurting”

Landen is speaking now

Landen says three years ago they were setting up to share the worst news that their son had died in this same room. Today, she’s here to share the best news that Letecia can not ever harm another child.

Landen is speaking about how grateful she is for the community that never game up on Gannon.

Landen: “I stand here today when I encouraged you last time to do good deeds, tell your loved ones you loved them…we are not promised tomorrow.”

Landen: “I am blessed to be Gannon’s mom, he’s done more in 11-years that many could do in a life time.”

Al: “Gannon is always with us”.

Al: “Al we saw in the courtroom today is a true win…but for me it only solidified the loss that I’ll never get to see my boy again. As we learn to move forward in our lives we will never let him go”.

Al: “The only crime Gannon committed was being a mama’s boy.”

Al says he wants to leave everyone with the word Joy. Landen and Al have found new family in those that supported the investigation and search for Gannon.

Al: “Through tragedy we will triumph…I refuse to let pain and seeking vengeance overcome me.”

Allen: “Gannon deserved every hour we spent on this case.”

Landen says she could breathe for the first time when she heard the guilty verdict. “It was the best feeling.”

Last edited:
What irritates me about Letecia being a Stauch is not so much that it’s shared with Al, but that it’s shared with Gannon.

I imagine the law may be different in each state, but in my state I retained my married name for years after I was divorced. I wanted my daughter to feel part of a family and that we should have the same surname.

When my daughter turned 18, I resumed my maiden name with no problem. There was no court procedure. It turns out, at least in my state, that if that’s the name on my birth certificate then it’s legal to resume it.

Lots of paperwork involved, but just due to having to change my name back on all ID, work stuff, passport etc.

I’ve no clue about Colorado law, but my impression would be as others here have said….I don’t imagine Al could ask a judge to change Letecia’s last name without her initiating that.

jmo

Last edited:
Allen: “There’s without a doubt that Devine intervention played a role in this case.”

“God’s fingerprints are on this case” - Allen talking about Devine intervention with bridge inspectors finding Gannon’s body in Florida and blood-stained board being found in Colorado.
THIS ^^

The chance that the Florida bridge inspection was planned for March 2021 and not the following year (or the year prior)!

I'm sure that most of us are trying to decompress right now. It's been a long road to find justice for Gannon. I can't call it a victory because it is bittersweet. Yes, legally we see justice with a guilty verdict. I was one of you who was really worried about the jury coming back with a not guilty verdict. I'm so glad that they did, however, Gannon is still gone forever and it will take a long time to get past that. I hope everyone finds their peace. I appreciate all the time we've all spent together. Sleep well.

Early in the trial when the tapes between the murderess and AS were played, I kept thinking that I didn't know how he could do those conversations stating that he could still be with her. When he said today that he knew she was involved after the Tiguan was not at the school, it really hit me that he knew from almost the first day that his son was not coming home alive. He did what he had to do to find out what happened and where Gannon was. That is some fathering. He kept it together and did not go after her or harm her.

Early in the trial when the tapes between the murderess and AS were played, I kept thinking that I didn't know how he could do those conversations stating that he could still be with her. When he said today that he knew she was involved after the Tiguan was not at the school, it really hit me that he knew from almost the first day that his son was not coming home alive. He did what he had to do to find out what happened and where Gannon was. That is some fathering. He kept it together and did not go after her or harm her.
He found the car wasn't here, called the FBI to tell them what he feared, and raced back to the home to get the visiting family OUT of Gannon's room, in case it was 'a crime scene'.

Yeah, he knew.

MOO

I believe AS was speaking about his own father when sharing his own feelings of how he felt being a father was a gift.

I recall LS telling investigators that she bonded with AS over abusive fathers, and further alleged AS's father was a child molester. MOO

AS did mention HH during victim impact statement. He hopes they can salvage their relationship. According to RA assistant who was in court, HH was not in court.
EBM correction
she was fully acknowledged and respected.
And I sincerely hope she knows that she, too, has been vindicated and that it will bring her catharsis.
The Judge told Leticia her daughter still loved her.
But she did the right thing and she knew she had done the right thing and she had done it by choice.
Because it was the right thing to do.

And everybody knew that this is something to which lS cannot even aspire.

He was telling her too that her daughter is now protected by a force far more powerful than anything she invites to manifest through her own psyche.
Despite all her efforts, the State took everything and her daughter will never look back.
Remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members