CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Denver Post ‏@denverpost · 1m1 minute ago
WATCH LIVE: Day 7 of the Aurora #theatershooting trial is under way: http://dpo.st/1QBrF4G via @DPTV

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR · 8m8 minutes ago
WATCH LIVE Day 7 of the #theatershooting trial is starting. Watch the live stream. http://link.kdvr.com/1KLSSxc

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq · 9m9 minutes ago
In back in #theatershooting courtroom today. I'll report at breaks. Watch live stream at http://TheGoldPatrol.com . and follow @thegoldpatrol

BTW... I am just now watching where the professor is testifying that he told the defendant that "this may not be right for you as a career"... <<--- paraphrasing... and the meeting was short... reminds me of....

When I was doing my interview to get into my program for my undergraduate, one of the comments by the head honcho was "What do you like to do in your free time?" My answer was "To get outdoors, to enjoy nature and the beauty of it all... to be atthelake :floorlaugh:". My interviewer sternly told me that she did not think that my choice of a job which would be indoors would not suit my personality. I answered that it was my "balance of my life".

This was one of the last comments of the interview.

I later learned, that this person ALWAYS gave a "snippy/challenging" comment to everyone when she interviewed them of what was their core personal belief when interviewing. Her reasoning was ONLY to see how the person would react when their most personal belief in the interview was CHALLENGED.

Well, end of story, I got into that undergraduate program and went on to receive two masters degrees after my bachelors degree.....

Just sayin'..... hearing this to me was interesting and brought back that memory.

:seeya:

ETA: I also later learned that this interviewer was a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGG sailing person who ALSO spent all her free time atthelake :giggle:

I appreciate all of the tweets and comments from everyone. I don't post often, but I do read all the posts. I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with reading the posts and then the posts jumps all around on this thread? It is frustrating the heck out of me, but I don't know if it is my laptop or something on Websleuths.

Yesterday I was having so much trouble with my wifi....The live feed would stall out, tweets way behind....eventually I started posting everything I could find, then following up with live commentary when I had it. You're probably seeing the echo of a 30 min delay fading in /out of posts. My bad!! As in...I hear the live broad cast....comment on here....copy and post a tweet that is 30 min old....repeat...

Good Morning all! Much appreciation to all who provide info on this trial. :yourock: :takeabow:

That's interesting what you write here. When my sister was completing her PhD..just before testing..she had a MAJOR breakdown. Trying to cram for her testing and worried about her dissertation she just lost it. She completely destroyed her apartment..chopped ALL of her hair off and cut her body.. arms..legs..thighs..hands. Big gashes everywhere. She was mentally broken. She was actually committed for about a month.
I've heard these PhD hopefuls can sometimes break under the enormous amount of stress and pressure to finish.
That was a year ago. She continues now on medication but DID finish school and passed her testing.
I don't know if JH was as far along as my sister in his degrees but.. I can see where one can lose it with so much to complete and such high expectations.
THIS I have seen with my own eyes. Of course my sister only tried to hurt herself.

poor, sweet girl....you are a good sibling!

That's interesting what you write here. When my sister was completing her PhD..just before testing..she had a MAJOR breakdown. Trying to cram for her testing and worried about her dissertation she just lost it. She completely destroyed her apartment..chopped ALL of her hair off and cut her body.. arms..legs..thighs..hands. Big gashes everywhere. She was mentally broken. She was actually committed for about a month.
I've heard these PhD hopefuls can sometimes break under the enormous amount of stress and pressure to finish.
That was a year ago. She continues now on medication but DID finish school and passed her testing.
I don't know if JH was as far along as my sister in his degrees but.. I can see where one can lose it with so much to complete and such high expectations.
THIS I have seen with my own eyes. Of course my sister only tried to hurt herself.

I am so glad to hear she is doing better now and that she got through her schooling. It is great to hear she is doing better now.

I can definitely relate to the stress involved with trying to pass classes and taking college tests. My degree was just a normal BS degree and I can just imagine how much harder a PHD type degree would be.

A lot of kids ended up changing their major about 2 years into their schooling and for a lot of them, it was a good move. They would change into a degree that was easier on them and at least give them a good chance of graduating. I saw so many engineering students end up changing their majors to something not so intensive and for most it was a good move for them. For some that tried to stick it out, they sometimes would end up dropping out of school altogether but if they had just changed their major, they would have done fine. Each new semester in the dorm, we would see certain people not show up and we knew they probably dropped out and it was sad.

So many emotions and internal stresses on kids in school.

We are all so different and I saw in my dorm how each person is unique in how they cope with college coursework. Some were bookworms, some took things too easy, some it came naturally and they had photographic memories. Everyone dealt with it their own way.
Everyone was different and it was fascinating to see how each person dealt with it in their own way.

The most common thing I recall us all complaining about is how much harder college/university coursework was than high school. Everyone had the same concensus that we all felt like the roof came in on us. So many people in their Freshman year thought it would be a cakewalk like high school was for some of us. We were in for quite a surprise that freshman year.

I actually got mad at my high school when I realized how little I was prepared for college. My high school stunk. It was way too easy and they should have done much better. I began to realize how bad my high school was when I transferred from my middle school. My middle school was so much better.

When I got to high school , it was all review work for me because my middle school had already taught us all the stuff we were covering.
That was the point I realized how important it was to attend good high schools if you can. Kids need to be prepared for what college is going to throw at them.

Anyway, so glad your sister is doing better now. It is wonderful she went back and finished. And it is a huge accomplishment getting PHD. It is amazing. The amount of work to get a degree like that is truly incredible. Kudos to her.

Mr. Brauchler will be showing a Power Point Presentation of JH's work. Shows he was able to follow instructions, put together clear thoughts, etc.

Do appreciate and LOVE that these attorneys aren't used to hanging out at the bench (i.e., sidebars)--they never look as comfortable as that other case

Marshall Zelinger &#8207;@7Marshall · 2m2 minutes ago

Marshall Zelinger retweeted 7NEWS Denver Channel
Dr. Achim Klug, neuroscience professor at CU will be the next witness starting Day 7 of #TheaterShooting trial

That is truly sick and disgusts me like nothing in this world!

BBM -
For me, this case is terribly sad.
I have no doubt JH is sick. His brain is sick. So sick that it drives him to kill.
Now, how should we as a society treat people suffering of this kind of sickness of which we know so little about?
The answer to this question is a huge challenge for the human beings we hope to be.
I'm struggling to find my answer to that question and thank you all very much for inspiring me on this search.
I am very sad for all the people killed and injured in this shooting, their families & friends.
I'm also sad for JH.

I hear you....

The Gold Patrol&#8482; &#8207;@thegoldpatrol · 1m1 minute ago
#theatershooting
Defense had problems with what they say is prejudicial statement about JH book smart outweighing mental status

The Gold Patrol&#8482; &#8207;@thegoldpatrol · 55s55 seconds ago
#theatershooting
Judge says it is relevant.

BBM -
That's an interesting comment and reminds me of my best friend.
She committed suicide, hung herself. I discovered her on the garret.

Some days earlier, she came to my house as she didn't feel well and wanted to be in company.
I had told her that she's welcome whenever she wanted.
We were in the kitchen talking while I was doing the dishes. Once there was a silent moment and my whole body & mind got frozen. She was in my back standing behind the kitchen table and without looking to her I was "convinced" she was aiming with a gun on me and going to shoot.
It all was only in my imagination but it was paralysing.
2 days later I found her dead.
A couple of days later I seeked to speak with her psy (shrink?) and told him about the imagined shooting. I understood that I was very right... Her illness had created huge aggressions but in the ultimate moment something pushed her to direct them against herself instead of others. It could very well have been the contrary.

Excuse me....is that eye candy in the form of a deputy on the right???????

eta.... he's gone....was there when the jury was coming in......:blushing:

Channel 2 KWGN &#8207;@channel2kwgn · 40s40 seconds ago
@aurorasentinel reports Mark Dell&#8217;Aqua, among other CU professors, will testify in #theatershooting trial. Watch: http://kwgn.com

Channel 2 Daybreak &#8207;@ch2daybreak · 1m1 minute ago
@aurorasentinel reports Mark Dell&#8217;Aqua, among other CU professors, will testify in #theatershooting trial. Watch: http://kwgn.com/live
The Gold Patrol&#8482; &#8207;@thegoldpatrol · 1m1 minute ago
#theatershooting
If our feed suddenly stops here, we&#8217;ve reached our limit, so be sure to follow @TheGoldPatrol2 for continuing coverage

Cathy &#8207;@courtchatter · 52s52 seconds ago
1st witness today is Dr. Achim Klug, neuroscience professor at CU in #theatershooting

The Gold Patrol™ &#8207;@thegoldpatrol · 56s56 seconds ago
#theatershooting

Jury is in. The 1st witness of the day is AAchim Klug. He is is a neuroscience prof. at Colorado University

The Gold Patrol™ &#8207;@thegoldpatrol · 38s38 seconds ago
#theatershooting
Achim (correctin

BBM -
That's an interesting comment and reminds me of my best friend.
She committed suicide, hung herself. I discovered her on the garret.

Some days earlier, she came to my house as she didn't feel well and wanted to be in company.
I had told her that she's welcome whenever she wanted.
We were in the kitchen talking while I was doing the dishes. Once there was a silent moment and my whole body & mind got frozen. She was in my back standing behind the kitchen table and without looking to her I was "convinced" she was aiming with a gun on me and going to shoot.
It all was only in my imagination but it was paralysing.
2 days later I found her dead.
A couple of days later I seeked to speak with her psy (shrink?) and told him about the imagined shooting. I understood that I was very right... Her illness had created huge aggressions but in the ultimate moment something pushed her to direct them against herself instead of others. It could very well have been the contrary.
:grouphug: how horrible for you! my condolences :rose:

In order to be considered legally insane at the time of the shootings, the jury must find James Holmes meets the following:

insanity
n. 1) mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior.

Insanity is distinguished from low intelligence or mental deficiency due to age or injury. If a complaint is made to law enforcement, to the district attorney, or to medical personnel that a person is evidencing psychotic behavior, he/she may be confined to a medical facility long enough (typically 72 hours) to be examined by psychiatrists who submit written reports to the local superior/county/district court.

A hearing is then held before a judge, with the person in question entitled to legal representation, to determine if she/he should be placed in an institution or special facility. The person may request a trial to determine sanity. The original hearings are often routine with the psychiatric findings accepted by the judge.

In criminal cases, a plea of "not guilty by reason of insanity," will require a trial on the issue of the defendant's insanity (or sanity) at the time the crime was committed. In these cases the defendant usually claims "temporary insanity" (crazy then, but okay now). The traditional test of insanity in criminal cases is whether the accused knew "the difference between right and wrong," following the "M'Naughten Rule" from 19th Century England.

Most states require more sophisticated tests based on psychiatric and/or psychological testimony evaluated by a jury of laypersons or a judge without psychiatric training. 4) a claim by a criminal defendant of his insanity at the time of trial requires a separate hearing to determine if a defendant is sufficiently sane to understand the nature of a trial and participate in his/her own defense. If found to be insane, the defendant will be ordered to a mental facility, and the trial held only if sanity returns. 5) sex offenders may be found to be sane for all purposes except the compulsive dangerous and/or anti-social behavior. They are usually sentenced to special facilities for sex offenders, supposedly with counseling available. However, there are often maximum terms related to the type of crime, so that parole and release may occur with no proof of cure of the compulsive desire to commit sex crimes. (See: M'Naughten Rule, temporary insanity)

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Legal+insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member