CO - James Holmes Trial - *Penalty Phase* #4 - LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Borndem....you post is coming through in all computer language. It is about 6 inches long!

Sorry -- it's okay on my screen -- I guess it must vary according to the word-handling app. Please excuse.

With his life on the line..I would think that even given his fear of public speaking that IF he actually truly had ANY remorse he could choke it out..

But as you said...He doesn't care..hummm :thinking: which word should I use??

I agree -- I really don't think he cares which way the jury decides.

Thinking ahead: I think if given DP, JH will choose not to go through appeals process. Does anyone think he'll want to prolong his life in prison?

I think he's afraid of death... not afraid of killing obviously but, afraid of dying himself so... I think he will appeal.

I think he will be segregated due to high-profile status even if he gets LWOP...

In terms of his day-to-day experience, I don't think there will be much of a difference between DP or LWOP. I do wonder if he might try to commit suicide at some point, maybe years from now.

Channel 7 said on their video site, that after the Jury comes back with DP or LWOP, there still are all the 100 plus charges the Judge has to rule on. Before the Judge rules on them, any victim or family can say anything they want, even if they could not say it before.

There are closing arguments and then the Judge issues his rulings on the other crimes.

Wow!!!

You are so right -- I don't know how it works in CO, but in NC (the only state that I know re this) the judge has great latitude (there are some restrictions, but it's still a pretty wide-open decision) when assigning whether a sentence is to be served "consecutively" or "concurrently" with other sentences. A judge can really sock it to a defendant... :D

Does anyone know how it works in Colorado?

There's a lot of truth in that..so even a DP versus LWOP mean's the same..but giving him the DP label would be a message transmitted on just how heinous his crime was. He needs to be taken out of society forever more..I don't care if it in a solitary room or regular jail ( tho that would be far more distasteful for him given his hatred of human kind)....He needs to be filed away!!

It's unfortunate his parent's and sister are left to deal with social embarrassment and possible attitude's from outsiders for the rest of their lives..and THEY can only thank their son for that. It seem's they are deflecting a lot at this point wanting to believe he was just "Sick" and didn't realize it...and as much as it really isn't their fault ..They will realize that there really is NO excuse for what their son ( JEH) did!..Once they accept that..they can move forward..at least hopefully, as it does appear they do have a strong network of friends and supporters!!

That's what I thought as well.

JH deserves death. If anyone deserves death, it's him. However, even if they don't actually execute him, just sentencing him to death would be enough, just to send the message "Hey, we hate what you did to these innocent people. We don't think your life out-values their lives."

Sorry -- it's okay on my screen -- I guess it must vary according to the word-handling app. Please excuse.

That is okay, just wanted to let you know it was a strange posting to me!!! I think I understand that posting then some of the objections of the defense!:happydance:

I think he will be segregated due to high-profile status even if he gets LWOP...

In terms of his day-to-day experience, I don't think there will be much of a difference between DP or LWOP. I do wonder if he might try to commit suicide at some point, maybe years from now.

Yes, I do agree with you on this. I still will like to see the DP given in this case, but I have to say, I do not think he will see it as the laws will change.

Those of you have have been around the trials for along time. After it is all over and the Jury can 'talk' freely to anyone. When and if they do, does the Jury ever give their comments on how the defense or State lawyers do? I would be interested in to hear their 'evaluations'.

Why, does the defense fight over a word or two? I hope the Judge and others go on vacation after this, but they probably have another case.

Those of you have have been around the trials for along time. After it is all over and the Jury can 'talk' freely to anyone. When and if they do, does the Jury ever give their comments on how the defense or State lawyers do? I would be interested in to hear their 'evaluations'.

Why, does the defense fight over a word or two? I hope the Judge and others go on vacation after this, but they probably have another case.

please they fought over a comma

I think he's afraid of death... not afraid of killing obviously but, afraid of dying himself so... I think he will appeal.

Not so sure..because IF that was so he would have genet in a blaze of gunfire given his arsenal..His biggest fear is experiencing pain..this his taking painkiller's prior to dive to theatre..and body armour....He has absolutely no fear of death..Just of Pain..Yikes he even cringed when he scaped his wrists with cardboard..and decided then..self inflicted pain is NOT an option....then switched to gaining human capitol !!! SMH

As to doesn't really care which way it goes..He really should..because IF there was even a chance he would have to interact will fellow inmates..He's be fearful and scared..I think I recall him talking about this discomfort during Dr. Reid's 22 hour video's interviews..

I agree with this at least here in the U.S. Also most inmates in jail sentenced to prison want to be shipped to prison ASAP because prison is much better than jails. Jails are setup for holding inmates till sentenced so not much for them to do. Food in jail include bologna or peanut butter sandwich everyday. They get better food in Prison. They also get more things like a TV and radio they can purchase. I think DP inmates don't get contact visits like the LWOP and other inmates do.

I agree with this at least here in the U.S. Also most inmates in jail sentenced to prison want to be shipped to prison ASAP because prison is much better than jails. Jails are setup for holding inmates till sentenced so not much for them to do. Food in jail include bologna or peanut butter sandwich everyday. They get better food in Prison. They also get more things like a TV and radio they can purchase. I think DP inmates don't get contact visits like the LWOP and other inmates do.

JH parents will make sure he has commissary money. He will get what he wants and be comfortable.

JH parents will make sure he has commissary money. He will get what he wants and be comfortable.

When my son was in jail in CA . Even with commissary $100 max you can only buy top ramen, chips, tuna, cheese, crackers, salami. That's about it for food items but you still served a bologna sandwich or peanut butter and I think eggs for breakfast. For dinner it was some kind of opened can or sandwich of some kind.

When my son was in jail in CA . Even with commissary $100 max you can only buy top ramen, chips, tuna, cheese, crackers, salami. That's about it for food items but you still served a bologna sandwich or peanut butter and I think eggs for breakfast. For dinner it was some kind of opened can or sandwich of some kind.

My oldest son who is mentally ill has been in prison last three years. I know how they both work. Jail and prison system. At least here in CA

If he ends up with DP, here is what it says about his entertainment - from that site posted a bit ago - http://www.doc.state.co.us/daily-routine :

Death row inmates are permitted a television, two books, newspapers, and magazines in their cell. They have full access to items available in the facility’s general library and law library on a two-week check-out basis. If the inmates comply with their educational and program requirements, they are permitted to view movies shown by the facility.

First, yes-jurors can talk to media or even write a book on their experience- that may include their feelings of the attorneys, witnesses, etc.

Second - Nelson just got the judge to change the word "cannot" to "have not" or some such remark. IMO, They believe that if they confuse the jurors, it will be in their favor. The judge keeps explaining the law but, it doesn't apply to them.

If he ends up with DP, here is what it says about his entertainment - from that site posted a bit ago - http://www.doc.state.co.us/daily-routine :

Death row inmates are permitted a television, two books, newspapers, and magazines in their cell. They have full access to items available in the facility’s general library and law library on a two-week check-out basis. If the inmates comply with their educational and program requirements, they are permitted to view movies shown by the facility.

Every state runs their prisons a little bit different. This sounds about right. Although my son who is not a lifer nor DP doesn't show movies at the prison he is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem