CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bolded part.

I mean no disrepect, but people should NEVER do anything like this. This sort of thing could have gone horribly wrong if an innocent bystander thought it was a real abduction and took out a concealed weapon and used it to "rescue the victim".

exactly.
And that Carry person could have been me.

I wouldn't have just shot, I would have made verbal commands first.
But, it really is the wrong thing to do as an experiment.

If she was dismembered (legs), and she was cut at the pelvis, one could EASILY find the uterus/ovaries.

FIND them, yes. Easily see them without retraction, maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't assume. However, no one at the scene would start poking around or disturb remains. They would note what they saw, what they didn't, photograph, etc. But any manipulation of remains beyond recovery would be done by the M.E. The body itself is evidence.

I'm not so sure about this statement. Yes it's true if it was many hours later clotting would occur and it would be less of a mess. However there would still be bleeding. I'm a med student and we have to cut cadavers in anatomy lab and cadavers are specifically prepared to be less messy and they still bleed out somewhat. So I do think there would still be a lot of evidence left wherever this was done.

I didn't mean to imply there would be no blood evidence. The point I was making is that some people think there would be a huge amount of blood at the scene, which isn't accurate. Of course there would be blood, hair, tissue evidence, but not the "blood bath" many are picturing.
In other words, this could be done pretty much at any location without a lot of fanfare. (thinking that some have implied it couldn't be done at an apartment, etc)
And as I said, it doesn't take a mental genius to cut off the limbs and/or head. It takes a sicko with sociopathic tendencies, but it isn't as difficult as some are making it out to be.

I know what you mean. I have thought the same thing about microchipping. Many people are against it for civil liberties reasons, but can you imagine if your children were microchipped and we could see within seconds of them missing where they were?

I had this discussion with a friend, the problem is that microchips like that are used with dogs are not transmitters, they are just ID tags. So if a dog is found you can scan the chip and find out the owner information. The problem with kids is that you need a radio to be able to actually transmit the location - this requires rechargable power, etc that causes all sorts of other problems. Even the "lojack" system that is used with cars, has a remotely activated radio that is only on once it is reported stolen - but this has the cars power system, etc to run off of. There are GPS transmitting (not just receiving) bracelets and watches that are available but they are expensive and bulky and could be removed. My hope in this case was that she at least had a cell phone that could have been tracked but it doesn't appear to be the case. I for one require my kids to carry cell phones and use the "Find Friends" app that tracks their location. Of course, this is only good so long as they have their phone. FWIW, it has been helpful in finding their lost phones before...

I thought of cooks too. They have implements to hand, they often work late shifts, and if they're the last one out of a restaurant, they'd have the kitchen to themselves as a place to work -- a place where neither a bit of blood nor a lot of steam cleaning would be remarkable.

Hey Footwarrior,
If I recall correctly, you are a local who lives near the area that the body was found. If possible from you vantage point, could you please confirm if the waste management truck is still at the scene? It was mentioned earlier in this thread and I didn't see you on at the time.
:)
TIA

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/jessica-ridgeway-confirmed-dead-dismembered-colorado

GRAPHIC:

This article says, "so badly dismembered".
I'm wondering how to take this. Any dismemberment is probably bad. Does this mean the cuts were not clean (eg: no sharp object used, making it a messy, jagged cut)... or does this mean it was slashed and cut all over, rather than just the limbs and head removed?

frankly I am getting really sick of all the sensationalized articles based on two words spoken by Law Enforcement: "not intact"

that is really all we know: "not intact" we do not know how or why... and if the helicopter weren't up getting footage of her remains they wouldn't have shared that either.

:twocents:

To date, is anybody sure that the condition of the body was described as anything but "not intact." by law enforcement?

I know Nancy Grace and some media have described it as dismembered and dissected etc. I still can't help but think that perhaps a coyote was at least partially involved.

If so, can somebody post a link to a video or a sourced quote?

Wish I had cable to watch HLN and even crazy Nancy Grace tonight.

FIND them, yes. Easily see them without retraction, maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't assume. However, no one at the scene would start poking around or disturb remains. They would note what they saw, what they didn't, photograph, etc. But any manipulation of remains beyond recovery would be done by the M.E. The body itself is evidence.

IF she was dismembered as I suggested, the uterus would be right there; very visible, and very easy to remove. If there's one thing I know, it's the female anatomy, given my past profession. Even a hunter could have seen it. That said, I suggested that this would be someone with medical experience, given the use of the word "dissection", IF LE even used that term. On a young girl, there wouldn't be much to move around to find those parts and they'd be easy to remove.

After looking at your reference I only see that another poster pointed out that this was not something that was stated at the press conference. There has never been a statement by a credible news source or LE that this child was dissected. There have been several references to her being dismembered, but as I pointed out, that is an entirely different thing.
Not trying to argue with you, but I am trying to focus on the facts only.

This article says, "so badly dismembered".
BlueIris, you might be reading more into it. That article is worded to be as graphically powerful as possible. Kind of redundant in a way. "So" "badly"? I'd be more interested in reading a M.E's report than taking a media article at face value.

In fact, I never take media articles as gospel. Media reports are not evidence and none of it is used in court. It is someone's wording who is trying to sell articles (and, ultimately, advertising).

Well, to be clear, there is a lot of information to support dissection. But none of it is official, so we can't consider it fact. But the social media circles and comments on news articles are all buzzing about it. They all have people whose relatives work at the WPD and they claim to know inside information. All of this inside information talks about the degree to which she was dismembered. And it is all from different, various sources who claim to be in the know. That said, it is all unsubstantiated, not reported by police, and we can't verify it.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that social media went off on some gory tangent that was not based in reality.

I am guessing that Jessica was well out of the neighborhood, or at least (if a neighbor) well out of view by the time the school tried to contact her mother. Not sure what time that was? But without a single witness, no idea of vehicle, etc. I wonder if it really would have made any difference at all, if LE had been on the streets looking for her in the morning instead. I doubt they were actually searching inside homes at that early point in the investigation (even though it is possible that she was taken into one of them.)

I guess I am just not convinced that Jessica's mom answering her phone would have changed the end result. He was long gone with her by that time, without any witnesses, etc...I hope she comes to know that one day, I guess.

Hey Footwarrior,
If I recall correctly, you are a local who lives near the area that the body was found. If possible from you vantage point, could you please confirm if the waste management truck is still at the scene? It was mentioned earlier in this thread and I didn't see you on at the time.
:)
TIA

The garbage truck was still at the site as of late yesterday when I took this photo.

picture.php

The site where the body was found is not visible from any homes.

Maybe it's a stupid newbie thought....I'm really not as on top of things as everyone else here, but would it be ridiculous to think maybe whomever did this took her to a storage unit and did whatever he did? I'm just thinking...I mean, there's a couple not terribly far from her school, wouldn't take a crazy amount of time to get to.
I could see something happening like, new guy in the area for a few months, he notices Jessica, maybe she walks her dog everyday, so he ends up with a dog and starts "running into" her as she's out and he's got his dog/puppy, starts up a repertoire with her - I mean, she is a young girl and if she had her dog with her it could be an ice breaker to start talking, so to speak. Maybe this went on for a couple months. I'm sure he could find out things like the fact her mom slept during the day, if she got to where she thought of him as a "friend" or someone nice. The morning she's taken, it's snowy and rainy, the perp pulls up to her right after she's gotten to the sidewalk in front of her house and mom has shut the door, says hi, asks if she wants a ride up to the park to meet her friend like usual because he's on his way wherever, maybe she gets in voluntarily, he could chloroform her or the like and take off. My only thought with the storage unit is, they may have cameras and closed circuit tv, but if he'd been "storing" stuff there for a while, it wouldn't be odd for him to come in if he'd established a habit of stopping there at a certain time of day. Maybe he started doing something like that, planning on taking her before school because she'd told him her mom slept during the day.
I don't know. Another silly thought maybe. I just was thinking, IF he lived near her and planned this and has POSSIBLY done something like this before, it would be logical to think the cops would comb the area and houses after she was taken and after she was found if he planned on leaving the body somewhere, so taking her home to do whatever, might not be the best idea because of evidence.
*shrug*

My opinion regarding that area where the body was found is my opinion, which is as valid or invalid as anyone else's opinion.

Perhaps the perp fantasized about every detail. Does every crime go off as planned with absolutely no change? We know the body was not "intact." It makes no sense to me that she was taken there immediately after abduction and that all crimes against her occurred in that exact spot. I don't believe that. I believe whatever was done before dumping, occurred elsewhere.

If information comes out that is contrary to that then my opinion will likewise change.

Investigators obviously thought it was a good idea to check the nearby shack and surrounding area for evidence:

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/jessica-ridgeway-2.jpg

http://www.whatsontianjin.com/news_images/08961ad45c52af5573c4_Jessica-Ridgeway-4.jpg

"Dozens of officers combed through the area where Jessica was found, hoping to find additional pieces of evidence on Thurday"

To date, is anybody sure that the condition of the body was described as anything but "not intact." by law enforcement?

I know Nancy Grace and some media have described it as dismembered and dissected etc.

If so, can somebody post a link to a video or a sourced quote?

Wish I had cable to watch HLN and even crazy Nancy Grace tonight.

I think the problem may be that it may have been mentioned at a PC. I could have sworn I heard it too because I remember my daughter and I being surprised. Maybe there is a video of the PCs online or something?

I wouldn't mind some of my tax dollars going to having someone paid in these cases to monitor and trace social media to determine who is posting those "in the know" type rumors and prosecute whoever is responsible for either leaks or completely false information.

Perhaps the garbage truck is still on scene to isolate what was already picked up. If they took it to the landfill, maybe LE was afraid it would get mixed up by mistake. This is a good way to keep it secure. I'm sure they're wanting to go through everything that was already picked up on site before they arrived, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomuSJ