CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it's a bit of a leap.

If you look at the pictures of where she is found, it is essentially a barren landscape as far as the eye can see.

There is one tree, close to the road.

The remains are found there, uncovered, in the open.

In that entire 360 degree of landscape, there is one tree. Just one.

He has walked far enough off the road to place her at the tree.

Clearly, she is not hidden or buried in any way. Just casually placed, out in the open, in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, in view of the road.

If he wished to hide her, he would have placed her somewhere hidden.

He didn't.

If he didn't care where she was found, she would have been pushed out of a moving car or thrown in a dumpster.

She wasn't.

No, someone made the effort to find the most empty landscape they could to leave her remains, right beside a road.

That to me says "displayed".

:dunno:

My opinion only. You do not have to agree.

:cow:

Hi SS, thanks for replying.
I think the perp may have placed the body where he did because of the locations of the sheds, because of the culverts location and because of the closeness to the highway. Again, jmoo.

I haven't read nor heard that she was placed and found near or under the tree.
I read she was found near the road, right under the wired fence.
:moo:

Ps, trust me I never agree with someone just to agree. ;)

Pretty good, IMO.

Rest in Peace, Jessica. :(

When they had the balloon release in the park where she was supposed to meet her friends I instantly thought her killer would probably be there. It gave me the shivers just thinking of all those kids there with balloons for this creep to scope out.

BTW, first post on WS here. I'm not really sure where to start! I've been lurking from my iPhone for several days because I'm too lazy to log in and type with my iPhone and I dislike using the desktop, but I finally did it :D

A little about me: married, mom of two, and have lived in the Denver metro area for about seven months. (Transplant from Charleston, SC.) I'm an anthropology major and considering child advocacy law as a career.

Little Jessica was taken on my son's third birthday this year and anytime I hear of a child dying or going missing on a happy day in my life it makes me feel strangely guilty. For my daughter's fourth birthday (October 9) we were actually in Westminster at the Butterfly Pavilion and all I could think about was how they were still looking for her and how could all these people in this community just go on knowing someone was missing and in danger.

Earlier this summer we attended a little friend's birthday party at a large park in Westminster and I noticed that it is a lovely community (like many suburbs of Denver tend to be) and this one had a noticeable police presence - not because of a high crime rate, but to make it known that their force is no-nonsense. Obviously this person who did this is daring, to say they least - the way he taunted LE and the FBI with this child's backpack and took his time with disposing of her body - but to do it in a town where LE is quite vigilant really worries me. We live in an equally quiet suburb of Denver and only about a 20 minute drive from Westminster/Arvada, and I've been even more of a helicopter parent than I already am since October 5 because of what has happened to this poor little girl. I'm pretty sure all of our newly-made friends think I'm insane now. :|

EDIT: Lots of people call me Sass (hence, sassysleuth). You are all welcome to do the same!

I went to items of torture museum in balboa park San Diego a couple days ago and all I could think of was how I wanted to use every.single. Item on this creep!

Are there donations being accepted or a way to send a condolence card to the family? I have been hurting for them and want to do something if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

It's God knows how many kids without a parent though. Or parents without a kid. :(

457 too many.

I wish America would get past their fascination for killing sticks. The violence in your society is just getting too much.

Guns contribute to crime, even if they don't shoot people directly. Look at the Wy abductor, she would have got away but he pointed a gun at her.

:banghead:

My opinion only as usual...and not intended to start a wild gun debate. Just pointing out - what came first, the guns or the violence?

:dunno:

:cow:

Sapphire, you're an Aussie too, right?

I've had interesting discussions about this with my partner. He has this idea that America is just crawling with violent psychopaths. He was actually afraid to have our bedroom window open at night because he was afraid someone would find a way to crawl in (it's too tall for him to get in and he's 6'4").

Anyhow, so just a few weeks ago I went hunting around for crime statistics. I found last year's statistics for the city where we live in the US, and Brisbane, where he is from and where we live part of the time. Interestingly, the number of murders is almost identical. Sexual assaults in Brisbane, however, were TRIPLE the number we had last year in our city in the States. Property crime was higher in Brisbane, as was assault. Drug offenses were higher in the States.

He also likes to recount that we such a large number of people in prison, compared with other countries. I recalled just a couple of pertinent details for him. First, where we live in the States, out of the entire prison population in our state, 77% of the prisoners have committed violent felonies. Secondly, we looked at the actual sentences of people in Australia and learned that, on a whole, they are a LOT shorter than they are here... like 18 mos. for child molestation or rape; 15 years for murder. Our state in the US is a mandatory-minimum state, so when people have committed a certain number of offenses, or have committed an offense past a certain threshold, they are sent to prison for a certain number of years and that's it... they don't get out until that time has passed. That, of course, contributes to more people being in prison overall.

I think the media there has a lot to do with our perceptions of crime. While we are there, I am continually surprised by the amount of coverage events in the US has, particularly violent crime... even most of the shows on TV are American. But then I look in the newspapers and every day I am reading local headlines about a rape or a stabbing or some horrible car accident. I used to joke w/him that all of the Aussie papers read like tabloids, but then I remembered where Rupert Murdoch is from!! :D

At any rate, I'd say that our killings just seem more frightening because so many people here have guns. It's also why we can have mass killings and it doesn't really happen in Oz (except for that one in Tasmania, after which my beau says that people in Oz voluntarily turned in their guns in droves). I tell him that nearly equal numbers of murders aside, if I had to be murdered I'd rather be shot than stabbed to death... but better than that, I'd rather not be murdered at all.

I went to items of torture museum in balboa park San Diego a couple days ago and all I could think of was how I wanted to use every.single. Item on this creep!

Are there donations being accepted or a way to send a condolence card to the family? I have been hurting for them and want to do something if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

From the Police Department's twitter: https://twitter.com/WestminsterPD
Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD

To donate to the Ridgeway family please visit http://www.jessicaridgeway.com #jessicaridgeway

You can donate and leave a condolence message here: http://www.jessicaridgeway.com/share-with-the-family/

I feel that whatever happened to Jessica after her death was done to conceal her death. And I feel that someone needed to get her body out of the neighborhood and may have used the spare tire compartment or a similar compact area to achieve this.

http://www.facebook.com/westminsterpolice/posts/10151349444894305

Westminster Police Dept facebook page-- has info about donations.

Yesterday I left a sympathy card and some flowers at Chelsea Park. Lots of other flowers, and balloons, and handmade cards by kids with crayons. Just broke my heart. But glad I did it. :(

I would like to go back to the day Jessica went missing.

<snipped for space>

4. Possible someone knew Mom didn't take her phone upstairs with her because of the phone calls she had been receiving from some of the colleges (per family interview). Did she say something at work? Did someone suggest she turn her phone Off??? <snipped for space>

Good idea! I'm sorry in advance if I'm a little behind on the threads.

Question - no snark, promise! - did you mean "colleges" or "colleagues" (as in co-workers)? I don't remember that interview and was just wondering. May or may not be important but it seems like it could be an important detail IMO.

Question - no snark, promise! - did you mean "colleges" or "colleagues" (as in co-workers)? I don't remember that interview and was just wondering. May or may not be important but it seems like it could be an important detail IMO.

She had been applying to colleges and one had been calling her a lot and she said she needed to sleep, so left the phone downstairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

But would mom tell her co-workers that she shut off her phone and put it far out of reach during the day? Wouldn't the first thing most people would ask is, what if the school tries to call?

Sweet little Jessica's murder broke my heart. Is it just the naive hope of a newbie that this man will be caught soon and punished? Did so many of you have the same feeling about previous child abduction and murders with a similar amount of evidence and publicity?
This is my first ever post. I've admired the various quick/logical/imaginative minds on Websleuths for several years and finally registered. Not sure I can contribute much-but i might chime in from time to time. :cheers: :eek:nline:

I really do think he came in on the main road and was in and out of there in less than a minute.

This I do agree with..as well as the idea that this person has a comfortable connection with nature and the terrain of the area.

She had been applying to colleges and one had been calling her a lot and she said she needed to sleep, so left the phone downstairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ah thank you - sorry I missed this earlier. Makes sense. I disconnected my landline a few weeks ago due to political calls so... understandable.

But would mom tell her co-workers that she shut off her phone and put it far out of reach during the day? Wouldn't the first thing most people would ask is, what if the school tries to call?

I doubt she'd announce it or anything, but did a co-worker (or neighbor for that matter?) possibly commiserate with her on the irritating phone calls and "suggest" that she shut it off? IMO it'd be hard to tell if she actually did it or planned to unless she specifically said "that was a great idea! I slept so well last night!" But still a possibility to think about maybe.

The thing is that with murderers (not just of children, but general murders for no "gain"), they don't usually think of displaying a body or taunting the police or re-visiting crime scenes. That DOES happen, but it is increasingly rare. This person has probably "moved on" and is satiated for now. He may be satiated for life and never hurt anyone else, but it is unlikely.

Ooh, mom was applying to some COLLEGES , and she told someone (I forget who), that one of the schools was calling her several times a day. That's why she turned her phone off.

But intriguing idea that someone from her work might have recommended it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme