CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the need to defend my opinions regarding the sex offender registry. As I said, I believe it could be better.

However, if my neighbor goes down to Walmart and shows his privates, I want to know about it. My 17 year old twin girls were in Walmart several years ago and one of them was grabbed by a man who had been flashing before. She screamed and was able to break free. The man ran, got into his car, and the police gave chase. He was apprehended. We went to court and he agreed to receive counseling if we would agree not to have his name in the SO registry. I hope we did the right thing.

Now, we can say that many flashing cases do not end up being serious and that these peeps do have "escalating" behavior. That might be true in many cases....however, if it even happens once out of 100 times, would it be worth to have all 100 registered? I think it would but others may not.

I do believe there needs to be categories within the registry so we can know who the most dangerous offenders are....

As you, I feel there needs to be categories.

Fifteen years ago my DH and I traveled thru the U.S. upgrading the computer systems in a major nationwide department store. We had two young men (20 and 21) who worked and traveled with us.

At dinner in the hotel, two young girls began flirting with the guys. (I was present and they appeared to be in early 20's). Later at the hotel pool the girls showed up again and I had the opportunity to talk to them. Having two daughters of my own (23 & 25), I was concerned about their behavior with these young men and asked them their age. One stated she was 19 and the other 20, showed me their DL for ID and the DL's reflected those ages. My DH and I left for bed at approx 8:30 pm.

The next morning at 4 am we were awakened by the P.D. wanting info on our 20 yo employee. It appears that he had taken the 19 yo girl to his room. Her father, a Police Chief in that City, had tracked his 16 yo daughter to the hotel and thru surveillance cameras caught her with our employee.

Long story shortened, the employee was arrested, served 2 years, is now on the RSO list, and his life has been ruined. He is a very nice young man and we have known him and his parents for 30+ years.

What he did is wrong; however, I believe the circumstances should control who is placed on the RSO list.

Apologies for this long sob story. Just saying.....

It's not that he's a bad person to be around for awhile at social events. It's hard to explain why I don't like him. I've always felt something was off with him. Much the same way I felt about my former boss (Dan Dewild for any locals who are familiar with the case) who is now in jail and awaiting trial for killing his ex wife. It's just a gut feeling I've had since I met him that I can't seem to get rid of.

no tip is too small... let LE decide:

http://www.ktvq.com/pages/ktvq-live-stream/

wyoming kidnapper was caught/arrested in another state based on tips from the public

I just mean - is he particularly drawn to kids, or is it simply that they are easier to dominate so he's starting with them. For instance, is he more interested in killing (becoming a serial killer) than in abducting kids or a sexual motive.

"Crime of opportunity" means he was driving along and happened to come across a girl walking alone. If he "snapped" at that same moment that there was a "crime of opportunity", and grabbed Jessica, then he would not have anything with him that would assist in the abduction, murder, or dismemberment. We know that he had dismemberment tools with him after the murder.

If he was alone and snapped, then he would not have been able to shop for a weapon and garbage bags after the abduction. If he had an accomplice, then he would have had the opportunity to shop for those things, but two people abducting a child suggests that it was a hunt, not a crime of opportunity, and that they made a decision to kidnap a child - no snapping involved.

Fantasizing and repressing are consistent with snapping, although I would use a different term than "snapped". I would say that he made a conscious decision to cross the line.

I don't think that we can draw any conclusions about transporting remains. There's no reason to assume that Jessica was murdered at a different location.

Pedophiles are sexually motivated, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say "sexually motivated" or "pedophiliac".

As you, I feel there needs to be categories.

Fifteen years ago my DH and I traveled thru the U.S. upgrading the computer systems in a major nationwide department store. We had two young men (20 and 21) who worked and traveled with us.

At dinner in the hotel, two young girls began flirting with the guys. (I was present and they appeared to be in early 20's). Later at the hotel pool the girls showed up again and I had the opportunity to talk to them. Having two daughters of my own (23 & 25), I was concerned about their behavior with these young men and asked them their age. One stated she was 19 and the other 20, showed me their DL for ID and the DL's reflected those ages. My DH and I left for bed at approx 8:30 pm.

The next morning at 4 am we were awakened by the P.D. wanting info on our 20 yo employee. It appears that he had taken the 19 yo girl to his room. Her father, a Police Chief in that City, had tracked his 16 yo daughter to the hotel and thru surveillance cameras caught her with our employee.

Long story shortened, the employee was arrested, served 2 years, is now on the RSO list, and his life has been ruined. He is a very nice young man and we have known him and his parents for 30+ years.

What he did is wrong; however, I believe the circumstances should control who is placed on the RSO list.

Apologies for this long sob story. Just saying.....

that is some seriously bad luck

For thought. If Jessica's name was visible on her water bottle or backpack, the perp could have called her by name. That is enough to trick up any child.

Please remember to make sure your child's name is not visible on their belongings and remind them that even though somebody is calling their name, they can still be strangers!

Sorry if this is repeat info. I have read about 90% of the JR posts to date.

does anyone know how they vett the info that's called in? Does the FBI knock on the person's door, or do they research them and then determine if it's worth contacting the person in question?
I think a lot of people would be worried that the FBI will be knocking on the door and if, say, the tipster lives with the questionable person, they'd be afraid their husband/BF/roommate would know it was them that called and might retaliate???

no tip is too small... let LE decide:

http://www.ktvq.com/pages/ktvq-live-stream/

wyoming kidnapper was caught/arrested in another state based on tips from the public

Kinda makes YOU feel like a perp for wanting info of RSO's!:banghead:

We have the same thing in the town I live in in MA, you need to pjysically go to the PD, give your info, sign an agreement, and results are mailed to you. although other towns have them online. I requested one years ago and there must have been 20. But if I do a search on family watchdog and it brings up one or two.

If, in fact, the truck is still on location it does seem very odd.
It is possibly there due to items being left needing pick up. Balloons will go flat and need to be removed, paper items will blow, most everything will eventually break down and become, well, trash. It would not surprise me if the truck picks up all "trashed" items and bags them up for LE to inspect.

Interesting fact is that the fence IS barbed wire.

Some good points here. I don't know if the water bottle was found in the backpack or on/attached to the backpack. FWIW, the custom in the local area as I have observed is to stick the water bottle in an outside pouch of the backpack. If this was the case, then yes the perp could have seen the name and also it would mean the people that found the backpack would have seen the name without having to open the backpack itself.

Also, Disney (or any other large public event, like fairs, rodeos, flea markets, etc...) has an enormous problem with kids getting accidentally separated from their families. I used to work at the coat check of a local art show, which wasn't attended by many kids, and we still wound up tending at least three or four kids from two to tween for as much as a couple of hours before their parents located them. (I felt especially bad for the mother frantically searching the parking lots because the toddler had wandered back inside to look at a pretty picture while she was loading his stroller into the car...but that's another story.)

It sounds like this system would let them quickly identify the family and get the lost child back to them.

Over here, at fairs and festivals and such, kids put wristbands on with the parents cell phone number on it in case they get separated. And it happens.

I might take some flak for this and it's ok, but does anyone else think the perp could possibly be in law enforcement?

does anyone know how they vett the info that's called in? Does the FBI knock on the person's door, or do they research them and then determine if it's worth contacting the person in question?
I think a lot of people would be worried that the FBI will be knocking on the door and if, say, the tipster lives with the questionable person, they'd be afraid their husband/BF/roommate would know it was them that called and might retaliate???

It shouldn't matter. Just report it. Please, LE needs help with this. If you know something share it.

Over here, at fairs and festivals and such, kids put wristbands on with the parents cell phone number on it in case they get separated. And it happens.

I might take some flak for this and it's ok, but does anyone else think the perp could possibly be in law enforcement?

Anything is possible.

I would think it's still on scene b/c it's preserving the crime scene. may not make sense, but I think it's that rather than awaiting pick up of balloons...

It is possibly there due to items being left needing pick up. Balloons will go flat and need to be removed, paper items will blow, most everything will eventually break down and become, well, trash. It would not surprise me if the truck picks up all "trashed" items and bags them up for LE to inspect.

Interesting fact is that the fence IS barbed wire.

Well there was that case, it was mentioned here, where a boy who lived in a Hasidic Jewish community who kidnapped a boy, did not sexually assault him but did dismember him to get rid of the body. I don't know what his motivation for taking him was though. Maybe someone here remembers.

The man who kidnapped and murdered Leiby Kletzky was mentally disturbed (apparently had had a head injury at the age of 9 that was related). I didn't know that he had not molested the boy.

ETA: It is actually not possible to know whether he sexually abused the boy before murdering him. He denies it, but I don't consider that reliable. He could have done things that were not detectable by examination of the dismembered remains.

In my state only offenders whose priors and behavior are deemed "predatory" are posted. By "predatory" I'm talking about a guy I saw on there who molested two children, ages 7 and 10, then went to prison, then got out and snatched a 5 yo off the street and molested them by digital penetration, then got caught and spent more time in prison, then was released and molested another 7 yo, then was caught again when he snatched an 18 MONTH OLD BABY FROM HER MOTHER'S ARMS... he was caught again and TOLD the police that he had planned on sexually abusing her.

I'd call that predatory. I'd call that a lot of things. Oh, and right now, his location is unknown because he moved and didn't update his location. :furious:

So am I understanding that in other states, people whose backgrounds are not predatory and who those who have not committed a felony are posted in the registries online? I'm not buying it, and I'm looking for sources to back me up on that. There has to be a felony criteria met, as far as I understand. At least, that's the case in my state, as well as the surrounding states in my region.

I did find this article, and as much as I cringe at the source (I like to call it "Faux News"), I am pretty certain this is correct about the criteria offenses must meet before being put on a RSO list:

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/sto...offender-registry/F_CJI4R2SkaOoXnIpUN_hQ.cspx

In Michigan, if you are on the registry, anyone can look you up online. It does list the offense code, but you then have to go to another place to look up the code. You can gage the age of the offender against the age of the victim if it's a child (it will say "child between 12 and 14" or something and it may say "position of trust" indicating the offender was a teacher, etc. This creates a murky situation, IMO. While it isn't difficult to look it up and figure out by the codes whether this was a predatory crime or just public urination or something similar, I suspect many people do not take the time to decode the offense. It can lead to a lot of jumping to conclusions. Also, the code descriptions can be sometimes vague. I'm happy we have the registry here, but it is not perfect.

It shouldn't matter. Just report it. Please, LE needs help with this. If you know something share it.

But how could it not matter? If you live with someone you suspect and LE knocks on the door, doesn't find enough information to do anything, and leaves--your life could then be in danger, no?

If someone lives with someone they feel could be involved, I think they would be better off going directly to the police, so they could be protected and maybe even work with police to find out the information that is needed.

JMO

I personally don't know anything. I just with they had an anonymous tip line b/c this guy is so dangerous that I think someone close to him would be truly scared for themselves and their family.
if they knock on his door and can't arrest him right then and there, it could be a bad scene.

I also think people should report, but the reality is different. anonymous tips are essential in this case.

at the press conference the FBI spokesperson said they are using criminal link analysis in the case...not sure if it works with tips and leads but most likely:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bridgetraiann