CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pages behind again, so sorry if this has been covered.

It seems to me that someone could have used the road that circles around behind the two shacks. The larger of the two shacks looks suitable for hiding a vehicle.

RidgewayFoundRoads.jpg

It's only a short walk from the larger shack to the smaller shack, and a shorter walk from the smaller shack to the location of the culvert.

RidgewayAbandonedBuildings.jpg
There's a gate on that road, at least from 82nd. If the gate is locked, then no. I don't know about on the north side though. Plus, a truck would be visible if located anywhere on the south side of the ridge, and the presence of a truck up there would attract more attention than a truck pulled off on the side of the road on 82nd. Not that it couldn't have happened, but it still seems like going out of the way.

if you live in Superior, you'd just hike down McCaslin to Indiana and voila, you're there. a long walk but I think it's all pretty flat out here. Coloradans really hike and bike a lot. very outdoorsy and in shape mostly. that would not be a big deal. It's abt 10 miles. 3 hours. maybe bused or cabbed it back?
No, there's no cabs or buses on those roads. From 82nd, it would be fairly easy to disappear into the nearby neighborhoods or the Arvada Reservoir open space though.

And yes, it could be walked, but there's no sidewalk and anyone who did would have been visible for a period of hours. I've never seen anyone walking on Indiana (or Alkire). Biking, all the time, but not walking.

If he was walking (or biking), it was probably on trails through open space where no one would look twice at someone with a backpack. It's very easy to go from the area of her home, down around Ketner Reservoir, through the short trail that leads to 100th, connect to the Standley Lake trails on the east side (a large portion of the west side is closed as bald eagle habitat), around the south end of Standley Lake and then onward from there. He could have gone south on Sims from where the command center was located at 86th and Sims and connected to 80th, which eventually turns into 82nd.

Or he could have driven part and walked part.

While I am not actually considered "hearing impaired" there are times I think I must be. First, I am a "loud talker." Second, I often have trouble making out peoples' words. If I am looking them in the face, I have a better chance of understanding (sort of like lipreading) but while I usually hear the person speaking, I often have to ask them to repeat. If I still don't get it, I'll give some generic response, or shake my head or something that is noncommittal, rather than ask AGAIN.

If you (or if your insurance permits) can afford testing, it is well worth it to be tested and find out for sure. It's not just a convenience thing, it really is a major safety issue.

People who are deaf and functionally deaf tend to die younger than people whose hearing is intact because they are at much higher risk for various sorts of accidents.

It got to the point where my service dog was very uncomfortable with me in a parking lot and we'd have arguments about whether we were going to go to the edge of the parking lot and walk round the long way (his vote) or whether we would take the shortest route (my vote).

It's downright embarrassing how often I lost out to a dog... and how often he was right and I was wrong!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ridgeway-killing-police-suspect-abductions/story?id=17478819

Police in Arvada, Colo., are looking for a man suspected of trying to abduct two children a few weeks before 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway's killing to see whether there is a possible connection.

In two reported incidents on Sept. 9 and Sept. 12, Arvada police said an 8- and 9-year-old were nearly abducted, according to police.

"Both of them said they were offered candy to get into the vehicle. In both incidences, they knew to run and tell an adult," Arvada police spokeswoman Jill McGranahan told ABC News affiliate KMGH-TV.

I think those two were little boys.

Yes I agree, I am reminded of the Carla Bruna case in Florida where her mother called her in missing within the hour and an amber alert was not done till the next day. They had suspicion of the parents for no reason or suspected a runaway. They brought out the dogs, that night but by that time she was long gone. Most of these perps kill within a few hours of the kidnapping. I read 75% kill within 3 hours.

LE would have thought she just did not want to go to school that day and was hiding. They would not have signaled the alarm till later in the day anyway. Sad to say but a lot of kids play hookie so it may not be taken seriously.

Even if they had taken it seriously, they would have first been searching for her, and interviewing family and teachers, etc...all of that takes time. They would not have been requesting to search homes that first day, in any case, or have put up a roadblock so soon. All the things that need to be done, but take time. I doubt Jessica was anyplace she could have been seen within minutes of being taken into a vehicle. It was already too late.

As far as the dismemberment theory goes, I don't think there's a one size fits all profile other than all are devoid of human compassion.

After Katrina, in 2006, a man strangled his gf during their last big fight and didn't know what to do with her dead body. So he cut her up and put several body parts in the oven some in pots on top of the stove and her head in a big pot. This was Addie Hall. He then partied for days before jumping to his own death. More recently Jaren Lockhart's partial body was found washed ashore and she too had been dismembered.

Jeffrey Dahmer is one serial killer who did this to his victims. In another case, body parts were found nearby the Hollywood Hills sign and were identified as belonging to a man from another state.

It seems to me there are several different reasons/profiles why someone who murdered someone does this; not all having to do with a sick fantasy motivation like Dahmer.

I believe the coroner can tell how the body was damaged. If cut, they can theorize what tool was used and even match a specific tool to the crime by the marks it made on the bone. It would help if they could locate the crime scene though to get an idea of what that may be.

For the dedicated sleuthers -

Why the tree???????

:sleuth:

Again, I am reminded of Kenia M's case last year in Denver. The monster, Travis Forbes, (thank goodness he's behind bars), particularly commented on his use of the tree at the burial site. According to him, he thought the tree was pretty, and he said if it were him, he'd like to be buried somewhere nice like that, or something along those lines.

So, maybe this is a favorite place of the perp?

BTW, Kenia Monge's dad on Jessica Ridgeway's killer: 'He will strike again' ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/arvadapolice

"In light of recent events, residents are on heightened alert to strange or unusual behavior and the police department appreciates your awareness. We have received numerous calls about suspicious people and/or incidents and we are investigating each one. We do however want to caution citizens that while we will look into each report; each one is not suspect.

We will notify parents of these repor
ts, but want to reiterate that some may have not reached a conclusion point at the time they were distributed. This is for information sharing purposes only. If further information develops from any of the reports, we will update with pertinent information.

Oct 15 – A student reported that she was approached at approximately 7:40 a.m. by a man at Memorial Park who asked her to come over. The student reported as she walked away, he started following her. Man is described as 6’ tall, approximately 30 years of age with goatee-looking facial hair, wearing a black hoodie and green t-shirt.":furious:

Re: Bolded part.

I mean no disrepect, but people should NEVER do anything like this. This sort of thing could have gone horribly wrong if an innocent bystander thought it was a real abduction and took out a concealed weapon and used it to "rescue the victim".

It was more of a "reinactment" by two intelligent adults that would in no way resemble a real abduction. We weren't screaming and grabbing just more interested in the time factor because so many people find it impossible to believe a child can and is abducted all of the time right off of the street. Neighbors and people nearby do not pay as much attention as people think.

I see no difference in this than the experiments done on 20/20 all the time. As two concealed carry owners ourselves, you would have to be a moron to start shooting if you saw us in person. I respectfully disagree.

Again, I am reminded of Kenia M's case last year in Denver. The monster, Travis Forbes, (thank goodness he's behind bars), particularly commented on his use of the tree at the burial site. According to him, he thought the tree was pretty, and he said if it were him, he'd like to be buried somewhere nice like that, or something along those lines.

So, maybe this is a favorite place of the perp?

BTW, Kenia Monge's dad on Jessica Ridgeway's killer: 'He will strike again' ...

I have a really soft spot in my heart for Tony. He's an amazing person.

Travis, on the other hand, a true sociopath.

Cue the cooler discussion...

I agree with this statement but considering that CODIS has not apparently gotten a hit on this type of killing, we can then speculate that it can be a woman. <modsnip>

Never mind that speculation of the family is not allowed because they are victims, for petes sake LE came out and absolutely cleared them, something they almost never do. The family has been CLEARED!

There was police activity all down the valley late into the night. The witness may have seen the fire truck boom with it's lights when it was raised or in another location. The lights shining on the hills were easy to see. But the spot next to the road where the body was found it not visible from any houses. The witness probably saw the intense search and investigation activity near Leyden, not what happened where the body was found.

Not to mention the helicopters.

Even though we don't know the extent of the dismemberment, the fact that it has been mentioned at all is significant.

LE are under no obligation at all to make that part public.

They chose to, so it has become part of the tiny shreds of confirmed information we have on this case. It is fact so has become an aspect of the crime.

Those speculating on this disgusting aspect mean no disrespect, whatsoever.

The fact that it has occurred at all, and LE has told us it occurred, means that it is a clue and sleuthers cannot ignore it.

WARNING OFFENSIVE TO SOME

The fact that ID was only possible by DNA implies to me that the usual means of identification were removed, eg fingerprints and dental.

Dental not being available means no jaw and no jaw means no skull. No animal would move a skull far, so I am assuming this is part of what's missing.

From behavioural point of view this is interesting, as the body was not hidden. Why try to obscure the identification when you choose to display the body?

This apparent contradiction could indicate two offenders, in my humble opinion only.

:cow:

Isn't this attached sketch associated to those incidents?:

This was a guy going after kids AND women. I think the kids were in Arvada in early 2011, then he approached a woman in Aurora. Maybe a possible reason for inactivity since April 2011-now is he was locked up? That guy DOES look just like that sketch. what was he arrested for and when ? (I can look of course...)

although I think most people think the open spaces are beautiful if not barren, I think the tree and the ghost-lore of the area and abandoned mines are important.
It is considered to be haunted and creepy and is desolate and barren by those who don't live right there. it is considered to have a freaky vibe - esp by teens from the Denver metro area - even on the road going out there.

the presence of the tree may just be to assure she was found. people are more apt to go visit and inspect a tree than wander in open space aimlessly. I don't think that compassion for her and her family is beyond this guy's capacity. it's not strong enough to keep him from doing this, but he may still have felt badly and wanted her found for her family and/or wanted her to have a resting place.

the tree is dead, right? (i'm a sucky gardener)
haunted, creepy, barren area.

could it be a surface meaning - that he's a killer doing freaky things an this is intended to freak people out as much as possible (and that he has made another person into a dead being?), or is there something barren or dead about him and his life? Is he impotent, sexually or professionally?

if haunted, did he leave her there to commune with the other spirits? (that's sorta out there, but hey...)

I agree...my intent is not to insult a beautiful state.

There are a million, million places a perp with a vehicle can hide a body and it never be found.

Parking it in the only ugly part of Colorado is intentional.

Parking her backpack in the middle of a residential street is also intentional.

Why?

I expect this perp to attempt to make contact, or insert himself into the investigation.

In my opinion, this is personal for him, and designed to shock. Find out why and you find the killer.

LE has come out and said that Jessica was abducted by a stranger and that her family was not involved.

Early on, LE said that they had a possible witness who saw Jessica that morning as she walked to school. Nothing more has been said about that witness, whether the sighting has been corroborated in some way, etc.

But it is completely clear that LE believes the family is not involved.

Family not being involved does not necessarily mean it was a stranger. Could have been someone else that knows Jessica. JMO

Does anyone remember the Marilee Burt case? There are some similarities - although she was older - in high school I believe. I have to admit I also pondered whether there could be a connection to the Jacob McKnight case.

Even though we don't know the extent of the dismemberment, the fact that it has been mentioned at all is significant.

They chose to, so it has become part of the tiny shreds of confirmed information we have on this case. It is fact so has become an aspect of the crime.

The fact that it has occurred at all, and LE has told us it occurred, means that it is a clue and sleuthers cannot ignore it.

The fact that ID was only possible by DNA implies to me that the usual means of identification were removed, eg fingerprints and dental.

Dental not being available means no jaw and no jaw means no skull. No animal would move a skull far, so I am assuming this is part of what's missing.

From behavioural point of view this is interesting, as the body was not hidden. Why try to obscure the identification when you choose to display the body?

This apparent contradiction could indicate two offenders, in my humble opinion only.

It can also indicate "convenience" for transport, which is the case the majority of the time.
Much easier and more discreet to move a body in several trash bags as opposed to carrying an intact body.

I believe it was head and hands missing. It was construed as "so badly dismembered" as to prevent identification b/c the identifiable parts were missing, not necessarily that it was obliterated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member