CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent point! It makes sense to hide a victim's identity when the murderer wants to conceal the fact they were murdered, or conceal the relationship between the remains and him/herself. But in a case where it is obvious that the missing person was abducted and killed, how does it help them? Even though it took a little time to officially identify the remains, I think investigators pretty much figured it must be her, so it didn't much delay the investigation.

The other reason for dismemberment is to make it easier to hide the body--smaller pieces more easily covered up or hidden inside something. But if they just dump the body out in the open, with no real attempt to cover it, again-- how does it help them?

JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
This is what I was trying to get at. Thank you for wording it better.

WHY would the suspect deem it necessary to hide Jessica's identity or WHO could the suspect be that he would deem it necessary?

No, I don't think so, it looks like somethins there and they are covering it with the sheet.

See this post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8463201&postcount=498"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8463201&postcount=498[/ame]

speculated missing remains, evidence dropped or left by the perp, tire tracks, and yes, maybe gum wrappers. All plausible reasons to do a thorough search of the area where the not intact remains were found.

True, my comment was me being a smart arse because the discussion has become exasperating. Is it getting us anywhere?

Still, I would think that if she were visually identifiable her parents would have been able to officially say it was her within hours. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I could be wrong about this -- heck, I'm frequently wrong -- but I don't think they do visual identification in cases like this any more. There are too many reliable forensic techniques and it's too upsetting for the family.

Here's an enlargement

scene.jpg

Wow, thanks Otto. So what are they covering? An empty stretcher board?

I keep seeing this and ????? JMO, I was under the impression that her pillowcase, not the sheets themselves was used for the dogs. ?? They washed her bedding and her clothes for when she would come home. I'll go back and double check, but just my take on it....if incorrect I apologize.

And I'm trying to clear up misinformation that the pillow pet was found away from her home. And her mom said her sheets were used for scent articles (maybe not those exact words, but that is the gist of it).

I really don't understand why everyone has to be so snippy about everything. I know we all are stressed and distressed about the turn of events, but is sniping really the way to handle this?

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

True, my comment was me being a smart arse because the discussion has become exasperating. Is it getting us anywhere?

It's called sleuthing and we can't do it without having discussions...sometimes of wilder seeming theories.

The site is packed with opinions based on nothing much...it's what we do.

:waitasec:

We need a thread or outline for where these attempts are being made, when, the locations and distances from one another and from where Jessica was found. Plus the descriptions of the suspects and vehicles.

The going back and forth about the condition of J's body.
To me, some things can be read between the lines but that's not good enough for some and that's okay. But can we stop this discussion now?

Until LE spells it out, which they won't until there's a trial, everyone can think what they want to think.

ITA, however, many have been stating that the remains were dismembered or hacked up or whatever terminology you want to insert here as fact rather than alleged or speculated of believed.

That has been causing mods a problem for days now as they are trying to keep the facts straight from the unnamed source info (speculation/rumor/etc) for all of us here and maintain the factual integrity of these threads.

The discussion will probably continue as long as this topic remains (no pun intended) up in the air and posters continue to suggest that it is a fact that Jessica was dismembered/hacked/whatever terminology you wish to insert here.

I believe she was dismembered. But I acknowledge that is not fact, having not been stated by anyone but reporters quoting unnamed sources.

I could be wrong about this -- heck, I'm frequently wrong -- but I don't think they do visual identification in cases like this any more. There are too many reliable forensic techniques and it's too upsetting for the family.

<modsnip>
Visual identification remains the number one. Often a non-family member will be asked to do the job, often the families NEED to see the body for closure.

Visual identification is free and quick. Forensic identification (while probably still carried out as confirmation in certain crimes) is time consuming and expensive.

Probably not. Likewise, rehashing the pillow pet, the backpack and the dogs, and the timing of her route probably aren't much use.

I think I'm mostly trying to distract myself while I wait for horrible news...because I don't feel like there's anything I can do, really.

Personally I think the "not intact" was part of the kill. What he has done with those parts means something to him. Are they Trophy's or are they part of a game with LE? Or both? I think the placement of the backpack is significant. Or did he simply not care? I tend to think he did care and it has some meaning to him :moo:
I can totally follow your thought on this. However, I got the impression that the remains specifically? purposely? did not include identifiable remains. (except with DNA)

I don't think that has been confirmed by LE so it could be just my interpretation.

I'm sorry to say, I saw the picture before the sheet, before the picture was removed out of respect for the family. That's why I'm pretty sure I understand LE's meaning of not intact.

For those of us who didn't see that, could you put a graphic warning and explain in the least offensive way possible what you saw? (torso and leg, etc) just so we can understand?

As to the part you bolded, here in Iowa the culverts need to be cleared out infrequently throughout the year or they get blocked up with weeds and debris and stop acting as culverts.

I would love to know if there was a regular schedule or if it was just done when a driver reported a problem.

There is a landfill to the west of where the body was found. On windy days, trash can blow out of the landfill. The landfill operator occasionally sends a work crew to clean up trash along the road. I don't know the actual schedule, but as the road had been closed for months the cleanup would have been long overdue.

It's called sleuthing and we can't do it without having discussions...sometimes of wilder seeming theories.

The site is packed with opinions based on nothing much...it's what we do.

:waitasec:

yes sleuth theories. We're stuck on two issues; intact and pillowpet. The answer about the pillowpet is downstairs. If it's not the right answer, no new info has been released for us to conclude otherwise. So then we're making stuff up.

I guess some can argue the same for the 'intact' versus 'dismembered'. So what can we do?

<modsnip>

Visual identification remains the number one. Often a non-family member will be asked to do the job, often the families NEED to see the body for closure.

Visual identification is free and quick. Forensic identification (while probably still carried out as confirmation in certain crimes) is time consuming and expensive.

They certainly don't do it in all cases, I agree. And for a routine death it's always a family member or someone close to the family. I also didn't mean to sound like it wasn't still the primary, which was careless phrasing on my part.

I was mainly referring to criminal cases where there's a lot of damage to the body.

Personally I think the "not intact" was part of the kill. What he has done with those parts means something to him. Are they Trophy's or are they part of a game with LE? Or both? I think the placement of the backpack is significant. Or did he simply not care? I tend to think he did care and it has some meaning to him :moo:

Absolutely agree with this post, 100%.

fwiw.

:cow:

There is a landfill to the west of where the body was found. On windy days, trash can blow out of the landfill. The landfill operator occasionally sends a work crew to clean up trash along the road. I don't know the actual schedule, but as the road had been closed for months the cleanup would have been long overdue.

Interesting, so there wasn't a set time for the work crew to clean up there? If not and suspect wanted her to be found, then it's possible he knew when they'd be there to find her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member