CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome article, really informative and spot-on to what a lot of us have been saying. I, too, think this guy is operating in the immediate area and I don't think he'll stand out as a creeper once he's arrested.

But looking at the maps in the article, it makes me wonder... did the author reading on our site and look at our maps, haha? Because I remember way back at the beginning of our threads a lot of us sleuthers were making this same map! :D

or like minded individuals thinking alive :)

or maybe he wanted teens to find it. to freak them out more?

If the perp was local, and he knew this was a place where teens etc hung out, and where phtog's attended for various photo shoots, its possible he was thinking that a place like this would probably contain DNA from all sorts of individuals, and he may have figured this would further stall police in hunting him down. Just thinking out loud.

I am going to snip another bit of this article that discusses the areas in jessica's case and how they could relate to the killer's awareness space:

http://www.boulderweekly.com/articl...ss-lsawareness-spacers-may-lead-to-clues.html

From Jessica’s neighborhood, both 82nd Avenue going west and McCaslin Boulevard going north fall along natural transportation corridors away from the neighborhood and possible home area of the killer. Both the body and the backpack were found along these transportation corridors, near the edge of these open lands. The body was located along an uninhabited section of 82nd Avenue, just about a half-mile from where that road would have connected to the more heavily traveled (and therefore less desirable) Highway 93. The body’s location was just 5.25 miles, as the crow flies, from Jessica’s point of abduction, which occurred somewhere in a 650-foot stretch of Moore Street between her home and Chelsea Park, where she was supposed to meet a friend before walking to school. The backpack was found four miles from Jessica’s point of abduction, just a block off of McCaslin Boulevard, on the east side of these same open lands. The subdivision where the backpack was found may have offered a more private setting for the killer to throw the pack from a vehicle, or it may have been placed carefully where it was found because child murderers are sick individuals and often seek to mislead or even taunt the law enforcement officers trying to track them down.

Also note the radius is already figured out.

or maybe he wanted teens to find it. to freak them out more?

One better -
Maybe he wanted someone very specific to find her?

EG: perhaps one of the garbage men knows this guy?

Who would be most likely besides the garbage crew to find the remains there? Was he targeting specific people in finding the back pack (did the person who found them say where the bag was specifically placed? He did say it was placed, didn't seem tossed.... so where was it?)

I read that too... thanks Kat!

The geographical profiling/ awareness space always has been interesting to me and I think can find a perp or know where he or she may be. Just like the article said: DNA is great for convictions or tying someone to the crime but it is the awareness space analysis that helps determine who did it and where to find that person.

(the guy really blew it on covering up his "awareness space" by where he placed the back pack... I hope they are able to really use that to their benefit to find this guy)

I absolutely agree with the geographical area being within this guy's comfort zone. I haven't seen any indication that this crime was committed by a transient. I'm still of the firm belief that this may be this person's first murder, although I do believe there is a history, (juvenile or adult) of sexual molestation. It appears to be someone who is escalating. The telling signs are the fact that the abduction was carried out in a very organized manner, yet the disposal appears to be confusing and disorganized. The possibility leads me to think there may have been something that caused the perp to panic. I can't resign myself to give this perp credit for thinking about where he dropped the backpack in terms of street names, pentagrams or anything else except an attempt to steer the investigation in an opposite direction...away from where the investigation was headed prior to the backpack discovery. I have seen some isolated rumors that investigators are now back in that same area, (Standley Lake). Also, some of the maps provided here indicate there was possible evidence in the lake area just prior to the backpack discovery.

I have a question...

Do child abduction murderers pray on adults as well, and if so, is this common or rare? I'm asking due to the attempted abduction on the adult female jogger in the area prior to Jessica's abduction.

Thanks.

OT...You know speaking of shows like Dexter, I don't think they should be allowed at all. They give the criminally insane ideas and may be another reason why these horrible crimes are up. The producers hold no responsibility and should be held accountable if anyone uses their shows and movies as outlines of not only how to kill, but how to get away with it. I know people follow that show and has a big fan base, maybe why people are so insensitive to the value of a human life.

Criminologists believe that murderers fall into one of two categories: the organized offender and the disorganized offender. Murderers who are complete strangers to their victims tend to fall into the organized category, as do murderers who take steps to make a victim’s body more difficult to locate or identify through tactics like mutilation or the scattering of body parts to different locations. Serial killers also typically exhibit traits that lead them to be classified as organized.

In the Jessica Ridgeway case, it is too early at this point to say what the relationship between victim and murderer will turn out to be. We do know that the gruesome condition of the child’s body when discovered exhibited the characteristics of an organized murderer, having been dismembered and left on the roadside lacking certain identifying elements, which made her identification more difficult and time-consuming for authorities. The horrific condition in which Jessica’s body was found is a primary reason why both law enforcement and criminal profilers believe that her killer is likely to strike again.

http://www.boulderweekly.com/articl...ss-lsawareness-spacers-may-lead-to-clues.html

OT...You know speaking of shows like Dexter, I don't think they should be allowed at all. They give the criminally insane ideas and may be another reason why these horrible crimes are up. The producers hold no responsibility and should be held accountable if anyone uses their shows and movies as outlines of not only how to kill, but how to get away with it. I know people follow that show and has a big fan base, maybe why people are so insensitive to the value of a human life.

You know, that's exactly what Bundy was trying to say. Back then it was true crime magazines and *advertiser censored* mags (think bondage). He said that is the problem, it starts the fantasy, which is where it all begins.

I also agree with you. Every defense attorney I have met agrees. All the CSI type shows (don't know what Dexter is) tell people what to do and what not to do. Of course, a few learn while in jail from each other too.

ETA: Looked up Dexter, and making a serial killer villain the hero is not helpful.

Yes, ITA with everything you said.

I was talking with a friend about this case last night, and how horrible it was. He said, you know, dismemberment is a really horrible thing, especially when we are talking about a child. Horrible doesn't even feel like a strong enough word to describe what it makes you feel. But, think about what's on TV... and think about the person who did this. Dexter dismembers a body every time he kills... which is, apparently, every episode? (I've only watched a few episodes on Netflix and didn't like it, so am not sure what the show is about...). He said, as sick as it sounds, that dismemberment is probably not such a big deal to people who obviously have so little regard for human life in the first place. I think he's onto something... anyone with an ounce of empathy would never abduct a child to begin with. So we can't approach this from a place of empathy because it just doesn't fit... the guy who did this does not think like us. So I think my friend was onto something, and I think that, for the person who did this, the choice to dismember was a pragmatic choice more than a sadistic choice... if that makes sense.

ETA... just to clarify that I don't mean to claim that the person who did this did so because he watches Dexter, but just to comment on the general knowledge of dismemberment in popular culture, as well as knowledge of forensics investigations in popular culture and how these sorts of things, but particularly dismemberment, tend to, through familiarization via popular culture, can maybe seem like pragmatic choices to those who commit murder.

Yes - many serial killers have the same empathy - meaning, none. Watch a video of Dennis Rader (BTK) in court talking about how he killed his victims. It's like he was telling everyone about cleaning out the garage. Serial killers and stranger abductors are very mentally different than you and me. What we find horrifying they don't see it that way. Obviously.

A lot of people try, as a kind of coping mechanism I think because it's truly horrifying that a person can think and act this way, to find a deeper meaning into a killers actions but most of the time there isn't a hidden agenda or deeper meaning.

That being said, it's dangerous going into any crime with a certain mindset because you need to be open to everything because it's really easy to focus on a specific type of suspect and then find out down the road, that you were wrong. Case in point, Sandra Cantu was raped and murdered by a woman, the mother of a friend in fact. But that was not a stranger abduction.

I have a question...

Do child abduction murderers pray on adults as well, and if so, is this common or rare? I'm asking due to the attempted abduction on the adult female jogger in the area prior to Jessica's abduction.

Thanks.

BTK's (alleged) first kill was a family, children and adults.

This perp to me, fits in with the BTK type of offender.

Sexual in motive, highly organised, wishing to shock and horrify the community.

Like BTK, he may be right under their noses looking as harmless as can be.

:cow:

so his boundaries appear to be 36 on the going NW to SE, 58/70/76 on the South and 128/93 on the West.
that's a triangle with denver at the east-most corner.
then there's a smaller triangle within that and matching it's measurement closely consisting of Jessica's home, backpack location and remains found.
concentric triangles?

based on reading the rest of the article and their assertion that the killer lives within blocks of Jessica or on the same street, I'm going back to the police scanner transcript the day Jessica went missing. There was an address near JR's home that was in an unusual state that morning. The dogs hit on it and cars near it IIRC, and there is a connection to JR with that house. makes me wonder about what was going on there that day and abt the people or any individual person who live there. LE had been called to another house close by on an unrelated issue previously, but I'm not sure if that was the same house or another one very close by.
This gives me hope that even if this location is not connected, that LE are watching certain people very closely who live near JR. obviously they have no suspects until they have enough evidence to convict (ideally) so even without POI's, they can still be focused in on specific people.
I'm saying, I hope they "know" who did it, as in, have a strong hunch with strong circumstantial clues. but how about DNA?

I am going to snip another bit of this article that discusses the areas in jessica's case and how they could relate to the killer's awareness space:

I have a question...

Thanks.

This is the link to an article Nurse just posted. It's a good read and addresses this. The person who wrote this says that maybe because the perp was unsuccessful on two attempts to abduct joggers, he went after someone smaller and defenseless.

You know, that's exactly what Bundy was trying to say. Back then it was true crime magazines and *advertiser censored* mags. He said that is the problem, it starts the fantasy, which is where it all begins.

I also agree with you. Every defense attorney I have met agrees. All the CSI type shows (don't know what Dexter is) tell people what to do and what not to do. Of course, a few learn while in jail from each other too.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with this line of thinking. A person who murders and dismembers another human being already has some "issues" and no amount of television viewing is going to cause anyone to commit such heinous acts. It kind of follows the line of thinking that we need more gun control to stop criminals from using guns. One thing doesn't connect to the other. I'm pretty sure millions of viewers watch Dexter and other such violent TV/movie depictions and the percentage of those who run out and repeat such acts are miniscule. Sociopaths kill for varied reasons...but its because they are sociopaths, not because they watch a tv show.

I heard about the show from other people who said they loved it, and since I really enjoy the actor who plays Dexter, from watching Six Feet Under, I thought I'd give it a go and watch it. But it only took about 3 episodes or so and it just really turned me off. I just couldn't watch it. And it's the same with horror movies, too. I went with a girlfriend to the 2nd 'Hostel' movie... we hadn't seen the first one and thought it was a suspense/thriller. We were in for a shock!! It was horrid and we walked out in the first 20 minutes. What was crazy was that we were sitting next to a guy who was there with his son who looked no older than 15. WTH?? I just don't understand watching murder for entertainment...

Respectfully, I have to disagree with this line of thinking. A person who murders and dismembers another human being already has some "issues" and no amount of television viewing is going to cause anyone to commit such heinous acts. It kind of follows the line of thinking that we need more gun control to stop criminals from using guns. One thing doesn't connect to the other. I'm pretty sure millions of viewers watch Dexter and other such violent TV/movie depictions and the percentage of those who run out and repeat such acts are miniscule. Sociopaths kill for varied reasons...but its because they are sociopaths, not because they watch a tv show.

Lol. I never said that was the only issue. You misunderstood a simple comment on t.v.

Indeed. I had some friends who were victims of a horrible and violent crime. The perp (now in jail), the same day and right before he committed the crime, said he was all pumped up after watching Dexter.

I must have missed something! I did a search trying to find out about this "guy with his mother's body in the trunk", but I can't find what you're referring to!

There is a guy who was arrested down by Greenville Village (South Eastern Denver suburb area) who had a dismembered body in his back seat. They say they have been in contact with Westminster PD to "compare cases" and have ruled him out as a suspect in Jessica's case.

Someone else asked what the car was in this case. I saw it on the news it was a grey/silverish SUV. Couldn't tell exactly what model, but looked more like a boxy type SUV. (although it was creepy, why not the trunk area of an SUV besides right in your back seat????).

In any even they have ruled out any connection to JR.

While I don't think Dexter is a particularly stellar show in terms of writing or plotting, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with the idea that certain kinds of TV shows should be 'banned'*. I believe serial killers are born, not made.

People who have issues separating fiction from reality have larger issues that will not be solved by censorship.

(*Ok, I wouldn't complain if they banned 90% of reality tv, because that stuff is garbage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces