CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm catching up on this case and I keep seeing it mentioned that LE says this is a case of stranger abduction? Can someone point me to where that is stated in MSM? Not that I doubt any of you, I just like to keep it all straight in my head.

Thanks!

are you talking about the fact that family members have been ruled out?
If so, that can be found on the westminster PD twitter page
Westminster Police ‏@WestminsterPD
WPD confident #JessicaRidgeway’s parents are NOT involved in the disappearance, focus is not on parents and believe this is an abduction.

https://twitter.com/WestminsterPD

this is the one from 10 october.. there are more (lots more)

I've checked the photos - the firetruck is far too LONG to fit within the orange markers on the road. And the truck was parked flush to the edge of the road. The length of the firetruck rules it out as being what the orange markers were indicating on the road.

The orange marks could indicate where a vehicle was parked before the firetruck arrived on scene. Knowing what was found, the first officer on scene may have parked in the middle of the road to block traffic and preserve tire track evidence along the sides.

ETA: But it's probably just the firetruck after looking at the link provided by BlueIris.

To me, it looks like the brown paper sack sitting on the sidewalk is smaller than the one we see the female LE carrying away. I assumed that the sack we saw sitting on the sidewalk was put into a larger " evidence sack " by LE. IDK though... pretty confusing.

I didn't realize until right now that one of Jessica's close by neighbors is a sex offender. I totally missed any discussion of that....must have been back in the beginning. Anyone know what his offense was?

per this video the backpack was found in a paper bag on a sidewalk

Well I have been wondering why people have kept mentioning the backpack being left in a brown bag - to me it seemed obvious that LE had simply been pictured carrying it away in one of their evidence bags. But this news clip now has me confused too! Would LE really have bagged it, then placed it back where it was found while the area was searched or as part of a re-enactment or for the benefit of the sniffer dogs?? Surely the guy who found the backpack had moved it/taken it into his house when he had a look through it to find Jessica's name? Very strange! :waitasec:

I have also been meaning to mention that in the recent case of poor Jill Meagher who was recently murdered here in Australia - her bag was actually picked up and removed from an alley by a local, then quietly returned to the scene (within a day or so I believe) when they began hearing about Jill's disappearance in the media.

I have wondered if something similar could have happened in this case too. Someone else could have found the bag and thought about keeping it, then tossed it in a panic when they realised whose bag it actually was?
Just another idea to add to the mix and MOO.
:moo:

I believe this was an inaccurate early report. The same news source now says the backpack was placed in an evidence bag when LE arrived and makes no mention of a brown paper bag found at the scene. Since the reporters arrived at the scene after LE placed the backpack in the bag, they (MSM) were originally confused.

I know some posters believe there were two brown paper bags at the scene (one left by the perp plus the evidence bag) but I do not think so. MOO

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...eway-still-no-clues-after-3-days-of-searching

snipped

The discovery of the backpack and water bottle came three days after 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway vanished on her way to school in Westminster

When police arrived, the backpack was placed in a large paper bag to protect it for later analysis.

Looking back at the scanner thread for the 10th, it looks like the road was blocked off at 2:50 pm. To me, this indicates that the body was found after 2 pm.

Great catch.

But surely this is misreporting. The listserv message mentions a backpack, not a paper bag. A paper bag would be weird, whereas the neighbors are said to have not considered it weird to see a child's backpack sitting there, probably forgotten by a child playing. News reporters probably got mixed up by the fact that a backpack is often referred to as a "bag" and has been in this case. I think if anybody is "newbies" in this investigation it is the media.

JMO

per this video the backpack was found in a paper bag on a sidewalk

Well I have been wondering why people have kept mentioning the backpack being left in a brown bag - to me it seemed obvious that LE had simply been pictured carrying it away in one of their evidence bags. But this news clip now has me confused too! Would LE really have bagged it, then placed it back where it was found while the area was searched or as part of a re-enactment or for the benefit of the sniffer dogs?? Surely the guy who found the backpack had moved it/taken it into his house when he had a look through it to find Jessica's name? Very strange! :waitasec:

I have also been meaning to mention that in the recent case of poor Jill Meagher who was recently murdered here in Australia - her bag was actually picked up and removed from an alley by a local, then quietly returned to the scene (within a day or so I believe) when they began hearing about Jill's disappearance in the media.

I have wondered if something similar could have happened in this case too. Someone else could have found the bag and thought about keeping it, then tossed it in a panic when they realised whose bag it actually was?
Just another idea to add to the mix and MOO.
:moo:

That's a good point about it maybe being found by someone else. Because even though where the bag was found is important information, a lot of people would not want to have LE focusing on them (even if they had done nothing illegal).

JMO

highly doubtful that a paperbag placed anytime on Fri or Sat would be in tact. it was wet for the majorioty of both days. a mixture of rain & sleet. and cold as well. it definitely would not have looked crisp and new

Does anybody have any thoughts as to why that WM truck was left there so long during the investigation of her remains. If I am not mistaken, wasnt it even left there overnight and into the next day?

Just wondering why so long there. One thought is maybe LE placed a hidden camera to see if someone would return to the area, and since not a lot of places to hide stuff, maybe they mounted the camera on top of the truck or something.

Anyway, it just seemed odd to me because I am sure the WM company did not want to have their truck associated with this crime.

We have conflicting media reports on this b/c yesterday I posted this:

"When police arrived, the backpack was placed in a large paper bag to protect it for later analysis."

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...#ixzz29hIkJRDL

So media? Which is it? It seems more likely the LE put it in a paperbag straight off to preserve whatever evidence might be on it.

There is a good opportunity for someone in the media who would like to develop themselves as an investigative reporter to at least start by clarifying the timeline, and then clarifying details of when/where/what evidence has been found.

JMO

highly doubtful that a paperbag placed anytime on Fri or Sat would be in tact. it was wet for the majorioty of both days. a mixture of rain & sleet. and cold as well. it definitely would not have looked crisp and new

You have made a very good point. I think the only thing we can conclude from either of these news reports is that the backpack was found and apparently in this neighborhood. I don't think we will ever know unless LE releases this information. I am not sure that it is that important if it was in the bag or not???? jmo

Does anybody have any thoughts as to why that WM truck was left there so long during the investigation of her remains. If I am not mistaken, wasnt it even left there overnight and into the next day?

Just wondering why so long there. One thought is maybe LE placed a hidden camera to see if someone would return to the area, and since not a lot of places to hide stuff, maybe they mounted the camera on top of the truck or something.

Anyway, it just seemed odd to me because I am sure the WM company did not want to have their truck associated with this crime.

My guess: they were instructed not to touch anything, move anything, change anything, once LE knew what they were dealing with. Including moving the truck. They probably needed to process the employees and also the truck in some way. Maybe see if the truck had driven over evidence, that kind of thing.

I'm catching up on this case and I keep seeing it mentioned that LE says this is a case of stranger abduction? Can someone point me to where that is stated in MSM? Not that I doubt any of you, I just like to keep it all straight in my head.

Thanks!

Police clear Jessica Ridgeway’s parents, call her disappearance an ‘abduction’

Posted on: 4:32 pm, October 10, 2012

"WESTMINSTER, Colo. — Investigators cleared the parents of Jessica Ridgeway in the 10-year-old’s disappearance.
“After thoroughly looking at the parents, we’re confident they are not involved in the disappearance of Jessica Ridgeway,” Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso says.
The information came at a short, late afternoon news conference Wednesday.
“The focus shifts to an unknown suspect as we think that she was abducted,” Materasso says.
He would not specify what led to police clearing the parents. But he did mention ways that could clear them include use of polygraph tests and/or speaking to people who could verify their whereabouts when Jessica went missing......"

Cont. @ Link
http://kdvr.com/2012/10/10/police-c...-parents-call-her-disappearance-an-abduction/

I am thinking that the LE would want to go through any garbage that was in the truck too and maybe they didn't have room at their facilities for such a large truck. Something could have been picked up prior to the discovery of the remains. Does anyone know if the scene was guarded or patrolled? I seem to remember the crime scene was released pretty quickly. jmo

Probably b/c the CSI team would want to investigate the exterior of the truck for possible evidence (eg: perhaps it drove over something important, and they wanted to check the tires to be sure?)

Perhaps they wanted to examine some of the trash inside the truck (if there was any?) for possible evidence?

EDITED:
sorry, it seems others came up with the same conclusions and posted above before me. I wasn't trying to copy them, I swear. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper