CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Westminster PD Westminster Police have received a number of tips associated to the cross and suspect description from the Ketner Lake incident. We appreciate the tips that are helping in our Investigation. Police are not looking for explanation or meaning of the markings, but we are looking for who may have worn or had one of these, has or displays other items with identical marks and in particular, a person that fits the suspect description: light skinned male, medium build, average height. Thank you.

BBM

Have you or do you know anyone that fits the BBM above? This is what LE wants to know.

:seeya:

**my apologies in advance if I am duplicating info in my attempts at getting caught up from this morning**

bbm: this to me is most important... that the RIGHT people see the pictures. Sure, I saw them over here in michigan but how about every single person in Superior? Remember when the fellow found the backpack and he hadn't even heard of the case????
This too has been a very real concern for me as well.. In knowing that someone in the actual vicinity(Superior) wasn't even aware of the abduction or name of victim it was an eye opener of just how many people that are actually local to the area yet still may have no real knowledge of the details of the case..

This is another very similar match to the cross in question.. It is somewhat unique but IMO common enough that it really could have come from locally or internationally for all we know..and of course there is still yet the possibility that it is hand made by someone..

Moo the key is literally flooding all media sources with the photos of the cross and the details of its importance relating to Jessica Ridgeway's murder.. Its all about JUST THE RIGHT PERSON(S) seeing and hearing about the cross that will be the turning point of this entire investigation...

LE has the key in their hands(the perp's cross) now its just getting that photo/info out to the right person(s) that will point LE to the door for which the key that they have will unlock.. Bringing down this sick maniac before he can bring about more harm, destruction, and evil to innocent victims..

I believe the cross is unlikely to carry any evidence itself.

The surface is too smooth for DNA and a quick wipe would elminate any fingerprints.

They also did not confirm which scene the cross was recovered from. It may be from the attempt on the jogger.

This leads me to two likelihoods -

The jogger's description may have included the perp wearing a cross, and this cross was recovered from Jessica's scene, or

It was found near the jogger, or she ripped it off in fighting him, it has no connection at all with Jessica, but it's the only clue they have and they are hoping the jogger's attack will lead them to Jessica's killer.

Personally I'm leaning toward the last option. They have no idea but it's a clue. It came from the jogger not Jessica.

Perhaps there is other religious-type evidence at Jessica's scene?

:cow:

The above statements regarding the cross being a piece of evidence recovered somewhere other than Jessica(ie. The attempted abduction of jogger) is incorrect. Fortunately this is one of the pieces of information for which we do not have to speculate or try to guess who's opinion is right or wrong.. LE has stated that the cross is evidence recovered from Jessica Ridgeway's crime scene specifically ..therefor making known for certain that the cross was not recovered from another individual or crime scene.

The only debatable question for some is WHICH of Jessica's crime scenes was it recovered from(ie. The crime scene from 10/7 where the backpack was found...or the crime scene from 10/10 where her remains were found).. And LE thus far has not clarified this particular fact..

**again my apologies if I am duplicating info in my attempting to get caugt up**

My thought is they don't want to commit to Caucasian.

Not sure why they are not releasing the ethnicity of the unknown suspect. DNA, if available can determine ethnicity of the unknown suspect. In the Dexter Todd Lee; Baton Rouge serial killer investigation, it was thought that the unsub was caucasian, yet the DNA technology was available at the time. Simply wasn't used...

Public hysteria had created many rumors and false suspect reports in the area. Previously, the suspect was believed to be a white man driving a white pickup truck. New evidence points to an African-American man from the Breaux Bridge area driving a gold 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage who is also wanted in connection with an attempted rape. Lee was captured in Atlanta, Georgia, in May 2003.

http://www.dnareferencelab.com/ancestry.html
1. Ethnicity DNA makeup*

The testing provides a comprehensive overview of your genetic make-up and reveals what much percentage of your DNA is shared with Africans, Europeans, Asians or Native Americans. The test is based on the utilization of a BioGeographical Ancestry (BGA) to establish if you have a relatively pure ancestry or admixture ancestry. If a mixed ancestry is determined, then the question becomes involved with percentage contribution of each race to your ethnicity.

I´v had this thought, that the wodden cross, found at a JR cimes scene, might be a "souvenir" from one of the killers previous victims.

So... is there any murder victims in US that wore a wooden cross when they diappeared ?

Interesting line of thought.

bbm: Might be worth checking out -- although it's possible the fact someone was wearing one might remain in "unreleased information" in some cases.

Because I cannot go back and read everything, do we even know where the cross was found at all. How do they know it has anything to do with Jessica. TIA

ONE of many links:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...th-pivotal-evidence-in-jessica-ridgeway-case/

Police in Westminster, Colo., today released pictures of a wooden cross they say could be a “pivotal” piece of evidence in the search for 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway’s killer.

“The cross was recovered at one of the crime scenes, but we are not releasing the details at this time,” Westminster Police investigator Trevor Materasso told ABC News.

Westminster PD Westminster Police have received a number of tips associated to the cross and suspect description from the Ketner Lake incident. We appreciate the tips that are helping in our Investigation. Police are not looking for explanation or meaning of the markings, but we are looking for who may have worn or had one of these, has or displays other items with identical marks and in particular, a person that fits the suspect description: light skinned male, medium build, average height. Thank you.

BBM

Have you or do you know anyone that fits the BBM above? This is what LE wants to know.

I'm surprised they had to spell that out!

Someone knows the owner of that piece of jewelry ... someone knows a skinny/medium build white guy that's about 5'5" - 5'8", who may wear a baseball hat ... maybe to make himself look younger ... same guy. They want his name and we want his name ... he's the guy that murdered Jessica, who most likely attacked two woman in Ketner Lake (also Kensington Park) and tried to subdue them with a chemical in 2010 (was it one or two women?), who may have abducted Kayla Chadwick in March 2012 in Fort Morgan (East of Westminster). The guy may even like the number 3 ... three lines in a row, three zig zagged lines ... three victims ... then another three ... and another

MAYBE the cross originally belonged to the jogger, but it did not have the marks in it. MAYBE the jogger recognizes it as hers. (and then it was found at the site where Jessica's body was found). Just a thought.

"The attack on the 8-year-old boy was not reported in the media until Friday when KDVR-Channel 31 ran a story."

Seriously? They never ran a story on this until now? That is insane.

Right--even though a police report was filed and many response vehicles went to the scene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Because I cannot go back and read everything, do we even know where the cross was found at all. How do they know it has anything to do with Jessica. TIA

Because LE said so today in a press release. :seeya:

ONE of many links:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...th-pivotal-evidence-in-jessica-ridgeway-case/

Police in Westminster, Colo., today released pictures of a wooden cross they say could be a “pivotal” piece of evidence in the search for 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway’s killer.

“The cross was recovered at one of the crime scenes, but we are not releasing the details at this time,” Westminster Police investigator Trevor Materasso told ABC News.

Why did it say in another article that it was recovered at the site where Jessica's body was found?? Bad reporting, or they changed their mind about what to share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry if this has been discussed.

Per that Rewind in the scanner thread. It says she stopped and talking to a teachers aide. Did anyone ever confirm this or has then been dismissed?

I hope you can provide clarification on this issue. Perhaps there was a typo. . . .but I don't understand it.

TIA.

I think he is caucasian for the simple fact that he was described as having brown hair. If he was hispanic, light skinned AA, or of any other non-European ancestry for that matter, he would most likely have very dark brown or black hair.

Not sure why they are not releasing the ethnicity of the unknown suspect. DNA, if available can determine ethnicity of the unknown suspect.

Totally true. It must be purposeful. They also don't say "white" in many of the profiles anymore. Even Westy PD's facebook page only says "light-skinned."

I don't think light-skinned necessarily means not white. She probably did not get a great look at him and may not be able to tell an exact race. Lighter skinned Hispanic men, black men, or some sort of mixed race individual can be mixed up with someone who is white if you only have a fleeting, scary moment of seeing a person. Or, hell, sometimes even just in general. My boyfriend is often mistaken as Hispanic or something, but he is just plain old white and his ancestors don't even originate from that area. He just happens to have a very natural looking tan and darker hair.

I am assuming at this point they do not want us to eliminate anyone as a possibility-like, oh it can't be that guy who fits the description generally because he is white (or not white).

BBM

I think that's the very reason why the guy that probably looked like a white guy is described as "light skinned". Police don't want someone to be over-looked because he may have a relative of another race. I'm guessing that the light skinned guy appeared to be white skinned, not some other race ... as no other race is really described as "light sknned".

Ok... I take that to mean, as I said, Caucasian or Latino. JMO.

Latino's may/may not be caucasian. Latino/Latina and/or Hispanic isn't a race.

Just want to make sure that's here, some people aren't aware of that. No big deal. Now they are :)

FWIW, not all of the early reports contained the phrase Ransom quoted in the post above. In fact, I read at least a handful of articles that only stated "light skinned" and not "white".

Just pointing that out too. Releasing this type of evidence (the cross) asking for public help in ID of it in order to try to ID the murderer makes me less confident they are going to find this guy quickly. All just my opinion.

So my take is simple. I think they have dna from the runner's attacker and dna from JR's attacker and it matches. I think the cross was left with JR's remains and that the runner also saw it. And that the runner described the attacker as light skinned.

But why doesn't LE say they ARE connected? They speak about it POSSIBLY being connected, which indicates they do not have a DNA match between the crimes.

I think he is caucasian for the simple fact that he was described as having brown hair. If he was hispanic, light skinned AA, or of any other non-European ancestry for that matter, he would most likely have very dark brown or black hair.
Could be a wig or toupe, especially if he shaved his head. Another thought...

Not sure why they are not releasing the ethnicity of the unknown suspect. DNA, if available can determine ethnicity of the unknown suspect. In the Dexter Todd Lee; Baton Rouge serial killer investigation, it was thought that the unsub was caucasian, yet the DNA technology was available at the time. Simply wasn't used...

Public hysteria had created many rumors and false suspect reports in the area. Previously, the suspect was believed to be a white man driving a white pickup truck. New evidence points to an African-American man from the Breaux Bridge area driving a gold 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage who is also wanted in connection with an attempted rape. Lee was captured in Atlanta, Georgia, in May 2003.

http://www.dnareferencelab.com/ancestry.html
1. Ethnicity DNA makeup*

The testing provides a comprehensive overview of your genetic make-up and reveals what much percentage of your DNA is shared with Africans, Europeans, Asians or Native Americans. The test is based on the utilization of a BioGeographical Ancestry (BGA) to establish if you have a relatively pure ancestry or admixture ancestry. If a mixed ancestry is determined, then the question becomes involved with percentage contribution of each race to your ethnicity.

I think that test is hogwash. I know the one to test a mixed breed dog for which breeds are mixed is definitely hogwash. Lots of scams making lots of money IMHO.
The last I heard , anthropologists were trying to ascertain racial heritage through use of mitochondrial DNA and were not terribly successful.
Regardless, it is not a forensic test, nor available at the forensics labs, nor are they going to be willing to sacrifice a sample of the DNA to run a questionable assay.

IMHO IMHO IMHO I am not speaking as an expert, this is my opinion only, although I do work with DNA sequencing and understand genotyping very well.

I´v had this thought, that the wodden cross, found at a JR cimes scene, might be a "souvenir" from one of the killers previous victims.

So... is there any murder victims in US that wore a wooden cross when they diappeared ?

BBM Interesting, possibly as a taunt to LE

Anyone recall that at the discovery site, LE was sorta up in that tree?
And there was a red evidence flag in that tree? IIRC

Maybe the perp hung that cross in that tree...:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members