CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent article on the attempted abduction of the woman going to the bar, it stated that the man that attacked the female jogger at Ketner Lake was Hispanic.

CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia reported Sunday night that the case bears some similarities to an attempted abduction case five months ago near Ketner Lake in Westminster.
In that case, a Hispanic male, 5 feet 6 to 5 feet 8 inches tall. He also attempted to use a rag with chemicals on it to subdue a woman.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...kidnapping-outside-bar-investigated-in-aurora

If we believe that statement, then since that attack and Jessica’s killer’s DNA have been matched (according to other reports) the monster is Hispanic even though he was originally said to be white and then light skinned.

Exclusive: DNA from Jessica Ridgeway suspect linked to unsolved attack, sources say
http://kdvr.com/2012/10/21/exclusiv...uspect-linked-to-unsolved-attack-sources-say/

I watched that report this morning. He said the jogger attack was described as Light-Skinned and the attacker last night was Hispanic (so opposite the quote above).

The other BIG issue with connecting last night's attempt is that there were TWO guys involved.

Okay I have a few questions rattling in my head. 1) any idea what type of DNA evidence would come from the Ketner Park attempt? Blood? Skin? From the victi, fighting perhaps biting? Doubt it would be saliva or semen, right?
But wouldn't we think that DNA from Jessica's murderer would be the latter right?
Wouldn't think she would be fighting back, especially if chemically subdued.
So the perp (if related) may have had minor injuries in May from previous attempt.
I know I am stretching here.
Also does anyone know why sexual predators kill a child victim? I can see an adult victim being a threat of identifying, but wouldn't a child victim be a less reliable ( threatening) witness, UNLESS this individual is NOT a complete stranger. I could be way off base here.

Again, this sounds like we all think it was sexually motivated. I don't think we know that, do we? All we know is murdered and dismembered...right?

I am in total agreement. We have no idea if Jessie was raped or sexually attacked. Til them I am keeping an open mind as to the methods and motivations of her killer.

Key findings:
In 74 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child murder victim was female and the average age was 11 years old.

In 44 percent of the cases studied, the victims and killers were strangers, but in 42 percent of the cases, the victims and killers were friends or acquaintances.

Only about 14 percent of the cases studied involved parents or intimates killing the child.

Almost two-thirds of the killers in these cases have prior arrests for violent crimes, with slightly more than half of those prior crimes committed against children.

The primary motive for the child abduction killer in the cases studied was sexual assault.

In nearly 60 percent of the cases studied, more than two hours passed between the time someone realized the child was missing and the time police were notified.

In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ChildAbductionResearch.aspx

Great info - thanks!!

But, how do we piece this together with the attempted abduction in May of an adult woman? (And LE also mentioned another one in July 2010.)

In a recent article on the attempted abduction of the woman going to the bar, it stated that the man that attacked the female jogger at Ketner Lake was Hispanic.

CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia reported Sunday night that the case bears some similarities to an attempted abduction case five months ago near Ketner Lake in Westminster.
In that case, a Hispanic male, 5 feet 6 to 5 feet 8 inches tall. He also attempted to use a rag with chemicals on it to subdue a woman.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...kidnapping-outside-bar-investigated-in-aurora

ETA NEver mind. It was pointed out that it was caught on camera!

If we believe that statement, then since that attack and Jessica’s killer’s DNA have been matched (according to other reports) the monster is Hispanic even though he was originally said to be white and then light skinned.

Exclusive: DNA from Jessica Ridgeway suspect linked to unsolved attack, sources say
http://kdvr.com/2012/10/21/exclusiv...uspect-linked-to-unsolved-attack-sources-say/

I'd be interested to know if there were any other witnesses to this attempted abduction outside the bar in Aurora. Color me skeptical, I guess.

ETA. It was pointed out to me that it was caught on camera. NEVERMIND!

Someone that posts here apparently checked the metadata on one of the photos and reported that the photo was apparently taken on October 11. That led to the assumption that the cross was found near the remains.

I'm thinking it was found at the location of Jessica's remains too.

"This is a piece where we believe in working with the district attorney and recognizing the significance of showing it to the public helping who this individual may be," said Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso. "We believe it's going to help confirm or rule that these cases are not connected or potentially connected."

He said the cross was recovered at a crime scene, but he wouldn't say which one. Police want to see if there's a connection between the cross and an attempted abduction at Ketner Lake.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ica-ridgeways-killer-need-help-identifying-it

I'd be interested to know if there were any other witnesses to this attempted abduction outside the bar in Aurora. Color me skeptical, I guess.

I'm pretty sure the entire thing was caught on surveillance camera.

The grocery store receipts... OMG, this new info personally blew me away!!!

In our discussions of why perp would dismember the body, my mind went to all the "usual" reasons, of course.

Given that the last thing perp wants to happen is to be stopped by LE w/the body in his car, I came up w/this scenario: Dismember body and, perhaps, place in deep freezer; on day of disposal, go to grocery store and buy couple of bags of groceries making sure to keep receipt(s); place body parts in garbage bags and place in bottom of the new grocery bags and cover w/groceries; keep store receipt(s) handy.

Gads... is this a possibility?!?

No, it is my understanding that the receipts were from before the murder, I believe the receipts are 4 months old. Odd though why he would put the receipts unless they were just attached to the bag somehow...

Stuff I hate writing: I also wonder if he is a hunter. You can fill in the line of reasoning.

(And, of course, this is not a statement or condemnation of hunting in any way.)

The truth is he could be anyone with no training or expertise on dismembering a body.

I doubt the 24 year old guy ever hunted that they just arrested last week that had cut up him mother and had her in a small cooler in his vehicle when found.

The brutal truth is anyone can do this with just a hack saw.:(

IMO

I watched that report this morning. He said the jogger attack was described as Light-Skinned and the attacker last night was Hispanic (so opposite the quote above).

The other BIG issue with connecting last night's attempt is that there were TWO guys involved.

In my post I said that the attacker was first described as white(in the video when the Ketner attack first happened), then light skinned(recently described by LE) and now we're hearing Hispanic(per this latest article). Take what you like and leave the rest, thats what I do.

I saw the surveillance video this morning and it looked like there was a guy sitting on the outdoor patio, too.

About which part are you skeptical?

Great info - thanks!!

But, how do we piece this together with the attempted abduction in May of an adult woman? (And LE also mentioned another one in July 2010.)

Remember in the Sierra Lamar case AGT is linked to another attempted abduction before he kidnapped Sierra? The motive for her kidnapping and murder had to be sexual and to silence her from telling anyone.

I think the same thing is happening here.

He may have realized he couldnt kidnap a full grown adult so he picked someone much smaller and much younger. These kind of creeps really are cowards.

IMO

I saw the surveillance video this morning and it looked like there was a guy sitting on the outdoor patio, too.

About which part are you skeptical?

I missed that it was caught on camera. Not skeptical anymore!

....... Also does anyone know why sexual predators kill a child victim? I can see an adult victim being a threat of identifying, but wouldn't a child victim be a less reliable ( threatening) witness, UNLESS this individual is NOT a complete stranger. I could be way off base here.

Re: Snipped & Bolded by me part.
Hi Cybermom, my guess is that if the perp did not want to leave a witness/victim who could ID him.... would make no difference whether child or adult. Someone that can attack and violate someone and can kill - would kill. In fact, maybe it is easier for the perp to kill an unknown (since the victim is often seen more as an object than a human being) than someone the perp may know. Just my idea and MOO

Anyone heard any updates on the suspected suicide this morning near a school? Any additional info. on the person found?

Anyone know when and how the WPD is planning to do their "additional information/clarifications" today? Is a presser planned?

http://sor.state.co.us/?SOR=home.youshouldknow

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SEXUAL OFFENDING

Facts About Sex Offenders
Facts About Sex Offenders in Colorado

There are currently 10,096-registered sex offenders in Colorado, as of June 2, 2008.
Approximately 60% of convicted sex offenders in Colorado are sentenced to community placement (probation, parole, or community corrections) with the remainder being sentenced to incarceration at the Department of Corrections or the county jail (Colorado State Court Administrator’s Office, 2003).
As of June 2008, there are currently 457 Sexually Violent Predators in Colorado. Of these, 364 are currently incarcerated in the Department of Corrections and 93 are listed on the Colorado Sex Offender Registration web site. (Not all SVP’s who are incarcerated are posted on the web site. As an SVP is released from prison to live in the community, they will be posted to the Web site).
A 1998 study by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment found:
1 in 150 women and 1 in 830 men in Colorado had experienced a completed or attempted sexual assault in the past 12 months;
Approximately 16% of these assaults were reported to police;
1 in 4 women and 1 in 17 men in Colorado had experienced a completed or attempted sexual assault in their lifetime (Colorado Department of Health, 1998).

Sex Offender Characteristics

Many offenders commit multiple crimes against multiple types of victims with whom they have varying types of relationships (adults, children, male, female, known and unknown). This behavior is known as "crossover." (English et al, 2000; Abel and Rouleau, 1990)
There is no such thing as a "typical" sex offender. However, all tend to be manipulative, deceptive, and secretive. Sex offenders come from all backgrounds, ages, income levels, and professions.
Sexual deviancy often begins in adolescence. (Abel, Mittleman, and Becker, 1985; Abel and Rouleau, 1990; Freeman-Longo, 1993).
Sex offenders usually do not commit their crimes impulsively. They usually carefully plan their crimes. (WebMD Feature, 2000).
Read more-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member