CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they don't typically release victim info, especially in sex assault cases, but does anyone know if they have released her general description/physical stature? I'm thinking in terms of her size/ht/wt in comparison to his. Did he choose a smaller/shorter woman bc she would be easier to subdue and transport (or maybe even blonde? Is he selecting blondes) or was she a taller/larger woman and/or brunette? Since there are two victims known now, victimology suggests we start with any similarities in victims. If their only common attributes are that they are both female and were alone at the time, than that changes things significantly in my mind.

I would like to know if the jogger was single, jogged alone daily on the same route or not also. Since I think this perp watches for repetitive daily activity..which would mean he has to be local and he has to be out watching, also probably living close by.

1. I think the perp lives closer to the body dump site. I think he may have gone there in his teen years. I think he drives by there on a regular basis. For some reason he goes to Westminster on a regular basis (either for work or to visit friends or may be originally from that area).

Hi, everyone, I just found this board yesterday and have been reading. This is my first post. With this story happening so close to home, I have been extremely disturbed.

I strongly agree with the above quote. Having grown up in the area, I believe that this person knew this open space well. I don't think it was a random location for him. It isn't really a road that you just drive through on your way to something else... you know it's there because you've been around long enough to know the ins and outs of Arvada. There are trails for walking, riding horses, etc. I'm sure teenagers have done their fair share of teenager stuff, too... but my point is, I know a lot of people from surrounding towns that have said they don't have a clue where it is, which tells me that the perp is very close by and probably has been for a long time. Just my opinion. =)

I would like to know if the jogger was single, jogged alone daily on the same route or not also. Since I think this perp watches for repetitive daily activity..which would mean he has to be local and he has to be out watching, also probably living close by.

Depending WHERE on the trail it happened around Ketner there are a few houses that back up to the open space/reservoir- with a few being close to the school that someone could grab and drag someone into a house. I'm inclined to think he is definitely local... and blends in easily. Because there is very little of the trail that you could just toss someone into a car w/out being seen-- unless he used a ATV or something of the sorts-- but hauling a knocked out body on an ATV would be ummmm yeah... pretty stupid, like that wouldn't be reported?

I agree. And the sad fact is there are many moms out there like this. I was single for yrs, had to work 50-60 hrs a week to make ends meet. I was not usually there when my kids left for school and not home when they arrived back from school. I can see how someone could go 8 hrs without a parent knowing where they are. If someone didnt have my work number and my extension they would not have been able to get a hold of me either. Now I had 3 kids and they did a pretty good job of watching out for each other, but I can see how something could happen and it would not be good. Yes, we as a mother/parent would always feel guilt if something happened to our child and we were not there to protect them.[/QUOTe

I know, it has to be hard to worry everyday if your kids are home safe from school. It would be nice if the community got together and looked out for each other. But man, the perp could be one of those community members.

Welcome mm20051!!!
I don't know how to insert the fun emoticons...

I agree. And the sad fact is there are many moms out there like this. I was single for yrs, had to work 50-60 hrs a week to make ends meet. I was not usually there when my kids left for school and not home when they arrived back from school. I can see how someone could go 8 hrs without a parent knowing where they are. If someone didnt have my work number and my extension they would not have been able to get a hold of me either. Now I had 3 kids and they did a pretty good job of watching out for each other, but I can see how something could happen and it would not be good. Yes, we as a mother/parent would always feel guilt if something happened to our child and we were not there to protect them.[/QUOTe

I know, it has to be hard to worry everyday if your kids are home safe from school. It would be nice if the community got together and looked out for each other. But man, the perp could be one of those community members.

I will say that I called my kids before school every morning if I were not there to see them off, and I made them call me after school everyday to make sure they all made it home..Then they had to stay put doors locked no exceptions and no company until I came home.

Thinking about the chemical soaked rags and chloroform. I do not think that works instantly to knock a person out. Guess I will google it.

If anyone ever looks at my search history they are sure to get the wrong idea!!!!!

Hi, everyone, I just found this board yesterday and have been reading. This is my first post. With this story happening so close to home, I have been extremely disturbed.

I strongly agree with the above quote. Having grown up in the area, I believe that this person knew this open space well. I don't think it was a random location for him. It isn't really a road that you just drive through on your way to something else... you know it's there because you've been around long enough to know the ins and outs of Arvada. There are trails for walking, riding horses, etc. I'm sure teenagers have done their fair share of teenager stuff, too... but my point is, I know a lot of people from surrounding towns that have said they don't have a clue where it is, which tells me that the perp is very close by and probably has been for a long time. Just my opinion. =)

You are right.

If they connect the dots, eg, Pattridge Park, the backpack dump site, the abduction attempts - it will form an area that is the perps "safe" area.

He is operating very locally.

He lives/works/visits in the area regularly.

Depending WHERE on the trail it happened around Ketner there are a few houses that back up to the open space/reservoir- with a few being close to the school that someone could grab and drag someone into a house. I'm inclined to think he is definitely local... and blends in easily. Because there is very little of the trail that you could just toss someone into a car w/out being seen-- unless he used a ATV or something of the sorts-- but hauling a knocked out body on an ATV would be ummmm yeah... pretty stupid, like that wouldn't be reported?

I also wonder if he is not a professional, like say Dr or Dentist, something of that nature. He would fit in, have access to some drugs/chemicals, have Holidays off, maybe even off on Fridays to play golf? Just thinking out loud.

Wasn't it a holiday for some the day Jessica went?

We know the jogger attack was memorial day, IIRC.

Thinking about the chemical soaked rags and chloroform. I do not think that works instantly to knock a person out. Guess I will google it.

If anyone ever looks at my search history they are sure to get the wrong idea!!!!!

Good point, Im afraid to google it myself, lol.

The problem w/ the small rimmed glasses are:
were they round, square or rectangular etc...? Metal or plastic? Were they regular glasses or tinted/or sunglasses?

There are so many types of glasses, this could mislead people to be looking at the wrong person.

This happened in May, he could be wearing the same glasses, changed to a totally different style/color or changed to contacts by now.

Who knows?
I think the bigger clue is the guy's size, 5'-6 to 5'-8 is only an inch taller than me...for a man, he would appear short to me personally.

Wish there was more info regarding his walk, demeanor etc..

The clothing, hair and glasses can be so easily changed is the problem I see with the description. Also brown hair and BB cap, is too big of a category as well.

This guy does not sound like to jogger with the green tennis shoes trying to get the young boy. The shaved head jogger was said to be taller and fit.
If it was this guy, I think he would have had less of a problem kidnapping this woman.

of course, just my opinion

I agree that the jogger going for the boy sounds like a different perp to me.

I think the sunglasses may really help, though. He fit in completely and didn't seem odd at all -- on a busy day. He was wearing small-rimmed glasses that were presumably the kind of glasses he may own usually? Certainly he might not wear them now, but that could be a clue in itself, I think.

I know from my guy friends who and who does not ever wear small-rimmed sunglasses. It's not my dad, for instance ;) It could be my brother.

I think the dude sounds trendy or older-trendy (like he's stuck in the 90's-00's in fashion, like me. I'm right at 40 years old). If they are small sunglasses, that's really a riskier fashion choice for men than your basic aviators or classic Raybans.

He could also be hippie-ish, and they are John Lennon glasses, so he could be older.

But what sort of really young folks in Colorado wear small-style male sunglasses? Is that still 'in' at all? I've been looking at a gazillion pictures to try to ascertain that. It looks like maybe the smaller glasses are no longer in style unless you are doing a retro thing. Or he could be stuck in retro, like me :) from actually being the age where they were so very popular.

I'm getting either a tech nerdish (not incredibly fashionable, but enough to fit in very well) young or Nirvana-aged perp here, myself. But I'd really, really like to hear more about sunglass styles for men in that area!

I also wonder if he is not a professional, like say Dr or Dentist, something of that nature. He would fit in, have access to some drugs/chemicals, have Holidays off, maybe even off on Fridays to play golf? Just thinking out loud.

Or related to someone who has access to those items. (a 20 something 'back to the nester, just out of college/dropped out of college, etc )

When we lived there 30 plus years ago it was a middle class, mostly family neighborhood where a younger Dr or DDS would fit in with ease--it wasn't exactly a diverse neighborhood either.

Ugh...two teenagers charged with Autumn's murder in NJ...

You could also consider a government position - some have every other Friday off, plus all Federal holidays (that can make for long weekends around Memorial Day and Columbus Day).

mm2005 or even a hospital worker 3 or 4 days on and 3 or 4 days off type thing.

I'm not going to say you guys are wrong to be so concerned about stranger abduction, because it could happen, but don't forget that if your child is being sexually molested, it's far far far more likely to be a trusted teacher or coach, the relative of a friend, or a friend or relative you regularly invite into your house than it is to be a random stranger.

Eyup. I was molested by my friends dad, who was also a neighbor and close family friend. Ironically, my parents had me go to his house because I was a latch key kid and they didn't want me home alone.

I also had a friend growing up who's mother was extremely overprotective, and she ended up dying of alcohol poisoning in college. Not saying it's mom's fault but she definitely had a "make up for lost time" mentality once she left home, which contributed to her wild behavior.

I think the public hysteria over stranger danger ends up being more damaging to kids than any danger these predators pose. Which is not to say you shouldn't take precautions, but you shouldn't teach your kids to be afraid of their own shadow either.

Before 9/11, the airlines and the government actually had a policy of encouraging airplane passengers to cooperate with hijackers. There was good reasoning behind it: before 9/11 no hijacker in the US had wanted to do anything more than use the plane as free transportation to somewhere (usually Cuba). Encouraging people to comply with hijackers probably prevented injuries and deaths caused by a nervous hijacker who really just wanted to get the plane to go where he wanted it to go.

The events of 9/11 changed that, although I'm not certain we're actually preventing hijackings. Sadly, there have been several cases where passengers who had mental illness were killed by over-zealous passengers (usually by untrained passengers not realising how easily someone who is on the floor facing down with weight on top of them can smother).

For me the key is to keep generating options and acting on them until I hit on one that works. If throwing my cell phone didn't work, then I could grab my shoes and throw them. I might be able to grab my wheelchair bag and throw it.

If there is even a small downward slope between me and the abductor and child, I could probably roll down and just physically ram them. Yes, there's a chance I might hurt the child as well but it probably wouldn't be serious (kids are made of india rubber and they bounce) and certainly less serious than what an abductor would have in mind.

If it were winter and I were close enough, I could rip off my coat and throw it at the abductor with the child, hoping that the sudden covering of his head would make him loosen his grip.

The important thing is not to stick with one single strategy if it isn't working. Try it and then move on to trying something different. Don't just keep doing the same thing and hoping to get different results the next time.

Reminder to self: Don't mess with Grainne Dhu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member