CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm not super well versed in DNA but I read the link someone posted a few pages back and a few posts about what can be gleaned from DNA.

My question is if LE has DNA from Jessica's case (BP, cross, body, garbage bags, etc) and the May attempted abduction.... *if* that's what the connection is....

Can the (unknown) perp's DNA be linked to his blood relatives?

I know there's no such thing as a stupid question but I think this is the exception.

In Brianna Denison's case, her killer James Biela's girlfriend allowed authorities to take a DNA sample from their young son which confirmed that a relative (James Biela) was the man who had committed previous rapes as well as abducting and murdering Brianna.

I'm wondering on a long shot if a member of the perp's immediate family has DNA in some database, could that tie him or at least direct LE towards that individual? Does it have to be father/mother/son/daughter only? Does any of this babble make sense?

Law enforcement uses two types of DNA profiles when matching criminals to crimes. The first is CODIS which consists of 13 genetic markers and an additional test that indicates gender. A complete profile will have one of several possible values for each of these markers. At least in theory, only identical twins will have the same CODIS profile.

The second is Y-STR which consists of either 12 or 17 markers in the Y chromosome. Since only males have a Y chromosome, it only applies to them. Also, a Y-STR profile isn't unique. A son will normally have the same profile as his father, his brother and any other male relative that shares a common ancestry along the paternal line.

Y-STR is particularly valuable when investigating crimes with a female victim and a male perpetrator.

If the site is missingpersonsofamerica, it is very poorly written and just a blog. Not any kind of missing persons official site, for example.

I guess they could have been folded neatly inside out.Why I don't know That's strange.

When clothes are pulled off of you they come off inside out He wasnt going to place his arm inside the clothes to turn them rightside out! JMO And my guess he was in a huge hurry

Hi all! I am new to this and feel by the time I catch up I can't add much to the insight all you pros. I also don't want to break any rules. I just read something interesting but am not sure if Missing Persons News website is reliable.

anyone, is missingpersonsnews considered an MSM site?

TIA

There is no reason to believe that the clothes were inside out. There has not been any mention of the condition of her clothes from LE or MSM. If I am wrong, could someone please post a link?

anyone, is missingpersonsnews considered an MSM site?

TIA

I have no idea. I think it's ok to say - hey, check out the latest article on Jessica Ridgeway at Missing Person's News website. just go to the homepage and put JR's name in the search field. the article is the most recent result at the top.
it's very worth reading!

I have to say I'm so excited! it's gotta be him, no? Oh I hope so! thank gawd someone finally called in who knows someone who could be him. If it is really him FBI was right - he lives near JR.
and there will hopefully be an arrest forthcoming!

Law enforcement uses two types of DNA profiles when matching criminals to crimes. The first is CODIS which consists of 13 genetic markers and an additional test that indicates gender. A complete profile will have one of several possible values for each of these markers. At least in theory, only identical twins will have the same CODIS profile.

The second is Y-STR which consists of either 12 or 17 markers in the Y chromosome. Since only males have a Y chromosome, it only applies to them. Also, a Y-STR profile isn't unique. A son will normally have the same profile as his father, his brother and any other male relative that shares a common ancestry along the paternal line.

Y-STR is particularly valuable when investigating crimes with a female victim and a male perpetrator.

I found this article on "familial DNA". It says that Calif. and Colorado are already using it. I believe it uses the CODIS system to search out family members close enough to have similarities in DNA to the DNA sample. I'm sure I worded this very awkwardly, but hope you get the idea :blushing:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/21/familial-dna-gives-investigators-another-tool/

check this out: GPS plus 5Star tracking and 911 panic button for under $50, and $15/mo plan. I wish they put them in bracelets that can't be easily removed, but that can be removed with a key or code or something.
I often worry that if I needed to call 911 I wouldn't be able to find my phone or get to the keypad and dial 911 fast enough.

Amazon.com: 5Star Urgent Response (Silver): Cell Phones & Accessories

I own this and buy it for everyone I know that is a woman. I sleep with it on my arm (had to put it in a MP3 Player arm band).

I call them all the time to make sure its working. They have EXCELLENT customer service and even found me in a remote treed area within seconds.

Its great for kids and I feel so much safer since buying this.

IF... it is true that Jessica's clothes was found in the backpack...folded neatly...it tells a lot about the killer IMHO.

Okay, I'm not super well versed in DNA but I read the link someone posted a few pages back and a few posts about what can be gleaned from DNA.

My question is if LE has DNA from Jessica's case (BP, cross, body, garbage bags, etc) and the May attempted abduction.... *if* that's what the connection is....

Can the (unknown) perp's DNA be linked to his blood relatives?

I know there's no such thing as a stupid question but I think this is the exception.

In Brianna Denison's case, her killer James Biela's girlfriend allowed authorities to take a DNA sample from their young son which confirmed that a relative (James Biela) was the man who had committed previous rapes as well as abducting and murdering Brianna.

I'm wondering on a long shot if a member of the perp's immediate family has DNA in some database, could that tie him or at least direct LE towards that individual? Does it have to be father/mother/son/daughter only? Does any of this babble make sense?

Check out this article on 'familial DNA'. It says that Calif. and Colorado are already using it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/21/familial-dna-gives-investigators-another-tool/

I own this and buy it for everyone I know that is a woman. I sleep with it on my arm (had to put it in a MP3 Player arm band).

I call them all the time to make sure its working. They have EXCELLENT customer service and even found me in a remote treed area within seconds.

Its great for kids and I feel so much safer since buying this.

awesome! I just ordered mine. I have a home alarm system with panic button, but I want this for out and about, and for direct 911 contact (no monitoring company middle man).
can you link me to the mp3 player armband? how does it work? does it slip out or does it have a built in pocket for it? so a school age child could wear it securely?

yDNA (male) does not change ..Each man gets his yDNA from his father, who got it from his father…all the way back through the generations.

Brianna's case was a perfect example of how that works.

Well, technically, DNA comes from both parents.

ETA: God planned it this way so that when a kid messes up, either parent can say to the other one, "Well, don't look at me, he's just like you."

Wouldn't small RIMMED sunglasses be like aviators - something with thin rims? I'm not picturing John Lennon glasses at all. Those have small LENSES.

Oh, no. So true! Thin rims (small-rimmed glasses) vs small, rimmed glasses :( That's where perfect punctuation would really help if everyone used it ;) .

Still, I hope people are noticing whether men they know have stopped wearing their old pair of sunglasses, or whether 'small, rimmed' or 'small-rimmed' could apply to the ones they ever wore.

I hope the perp isn't smart enough to have picked out a ballcap and glasses that he would usually not wear. That's where profiles can be so helpful.

To me, it sounds like he looks like he fits in very well when he's prowling or hiding things, so he's at least quite familiar with what others are wearing and where. Certain personalities are clueless about all that, so it does tell something.

He's not socially inept, at least when it comes to how to look.

why didn't she call the tip directly to FBI/PD?
well, at least they have it now. it is so exciting to think they might get him soon!

Good question. Interesting to note that on the last WS radio show Tricia talked about the reluctance of many people to call LE with tips/info... seems that more than a few times WS'ers with tips have contacted Tricia and/or mods here and asked them to forward info to LE. Maybe the person who emailed the missing persons news wanted an intermediary?

Wait, I think that "radio" show goes by another name now... lol... can't remember... and technically it's not radio, either. But, y'all know what I mean :)

Thank you for that info! Granted I think my last real "science class" was probably junior year of high school Oceanography so this went way over my head but I'll do some reading on the Y-STR. Can you explain how it could be used in Jessica's case? Obviously with some creative liberty and hypotheticals. Am I understanding correctly that if the perp ("a son") has left some DNA, it can be linked exclusively to any male relative in their lineage? Does it matter if the relative's DNA is on record or if it has to be collected? Does it matter what kind of DNA it is, as someone had mentioned a few posts up? Does it have to be blood, semen, saliva? I'm guessing touch DNA wouldn't make the cut. Thanks again and sorry for being whatever comes before a novice !

I found this article on "familial DNA". It says that Calif. and Colorado are already using it. I believe it uses the CODIS system to search out family members close enough to have similarities in DNA to the DNA sample. I'm sure I worded this very awkwardly, but hope you get the idea :blushing:

Thank you for this as well! I understood exactly what you were saying. The question is will I understand the article and the science -talk.

So I was looking at dismemberment specifically in Colorado and it seems it's all over the country. The ones I found that were caught is just a lone person and I'm wondering if this isn't a group, and it could be, is this just becoming a common evil thing to do? I mean how much worse can you kill a person, ya know?

The other thing they should investigate is whether there found any animals/pets mutilated around (or buried) where JR disappeared in the last couple of years.

It could also be disappearance of pets / animals.

whenever i think of Colorado, i only think about cult. don't know why. may be the mountain-regions where they are comfortable. But why bury close to her abduction place. May be to throw off the investigation that the prep might be someone close-by?

If it is a single-prep, then he is a Psycho. Guess from his previous failed abduction, he is learning to hunt humans.

I have no idea. I think it's ok to say - hey, check out the latest article on Jessica Ridgeway at Missing Person's News website. just go to the homepage and put JR's name in the search field. the article is the most recent result at the top.
it's very worth reading!

I have to say I'm so excited! it's gotta be him, no? Oh I hope so! thank gawd someone finally called in who knows someone who could be him. If it is really him FBI was right - he lives near JR.
and there will hopefully be an arrest forthcoming!

I am getting server not found.

SO sorry to be so blunt...
But I would like to know if Jessica's heart was missing/removed from her remains...

IF that is the case, the Mayan/Aztek angle is indeed an angle that has to be investigated.

There is a Denver sex offender, who has been mention here on WS early on, but the post has since then been removed, I dont know why?

I have discovered that his particular sex offender has an interest in Mayan/Aztek religion.

He is:

race: white (but he looks hispanic or somthing like that)

Hight: 5' 08"

Weight: 150

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics