CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Politely........There is no established connection just YET, but there is always possibility that another case could be connected in the future. For example, if it is ever proven we have multiple people working together to commit these crimes, it would not surprise me that there are different descriptions of people. Also, a bald person could have maybe purchased man wigs and maybe is disguising his appearance during the commision of crimes.

Just politely trying to say that we have to be careful not to imply that things will never change, and we may find out that more of these cases are tied together.

It seems to me that if someone is dumb enough to wear a wig during an attempted abduction, that person would be quickly caught ... as that wig would provide direct evidence.

There most likely are more cases connected to the man that murdered Jessica, but at this time, police are only able to tie him to the jogger in Ketner Park. Below is the difference in description between Jessica's murderer and the man that tried to take a male child over the fence.

"But Westminster Police say Monday about 1:15 p.m., a man attacked a 22-year-old woman as she jogged along the trail. Police say she passed the suspect once, as he walked the opposite way.

But when she looped around again, he was walking in the same direction and grabbed her as she ran by. She told police the suspect tried to put a cloth over her face, with some kind of chemical on it. She managed to fight him off and called 911 as he ran away.

Police are especially concerned because a similar incident happened in the same area two years ago."

http://kwgn.com/2012/05/30/jogger-escapes-from-attempted-kidnapping-near-westminster-lake/

"The suspect in the May 2012 attack was described as a light-skinned man who ranged in age from 18 to his 30s. He had brown hair, a medium build and was about 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall. The man was wearing a dark blue baseball cap, small-rim sunglasses, a black T-shirt and blue jeans.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/natio...attack-on-jogger-at-ketner-lake#ixzz2A8liql6s

The suspect in the assault on the male child:

"As they were walking along the trail near a street the girls noticed an "attractive" white man who was between 5 feet 6 inches and 6 feet tall, wearing jogging shorts, a Bolder Boulder T-shirt and green and white running shoes. He had a shaved head, no facial hair. He was trim and athletically built. "

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...oked-8-year-old-boy-near-ketner#ixzz2A8kabxdA

I'm wondering if the response would have been different if the little girl would have yelled "help! I don't know this man!" rather than " you're not my dad!". The " you're not my dad" kinda leaves room for people to assume many different scenarios. (Ex. maybe the man is the little girl's uncle, he's discipling her and she's talking back)

It's a common thing for kids to say to their stepparents, for instance.

That video is scary (stranger danger above), I watched it w my girls last night.

I know the public should have done something, and I know many times the victims don't have time to react, but I asked my girls what they thought that specific little girl in the mock abduction could have done differently (I know that is not the point, the point was to gauge public response not victim response, but still) and this is what my girls said she could have done differently:
Screamed, not whined, drop to the ground, address passerbys directly" lady! Help me! Call 911!"
I think those were great ideas, just sharing.

I have told my daughters another thing, too: always assume that a stranger that approaches you intends to harm you. Regardless of the words they use or what they appear to be doing, if you are approached by someone you don't know, first thought is "danger". If they are actually approaching you for a harmless reason, they will not be upset if you react in a protective/ assertive manner. They are not scared and paranoid, but they are alert. They have noticed a car parked in the driveway of an empty house nearby and asked me if we should call the police... (was person visiting neighbor and didn't want to park in the street). They are very aware of their surroundings.

Once, in a open field in my neighborhood that kids play soccer and football in, I noticed a girl about 9, 10 sitting by herself, drawing in the dirt with a stick, and I slowed down, rolled down my window, and said, "hi, are your parents out here with you?" I was looking out for the kid, but when I did that she got up and ran like he$$ to her house. I was so impressed. Not thrilled she was playing alone outdoors, but great reaction!

Or lives with people who take short trips on long weekends... for example, Aunt Bea goes to Pueblo to visit niece / nephew, leaves Friday and comes back Monday. Perp has at least 48 hours to keep and dispose of victim, and clean up, before Aunt Bea comes home. Just speculating.

That is possible. At this point there are so many things that are possible. I am feeling pretty good about LE solving this one, I personally feel they will catch this guy.

This all began when Jessica was abducted on 10.5. We're now approaching the 1st of November. Just a thought... if the perp lives by himself and rents his home/apt/dwelling and *if* he's left town, there's a possibility his landlord doesn't know he's gone yet. I know there was some talk here a couple of threads back about how anyone could NOT know what was going on in the community, but the fact is, it happens. I have neighbors who don't own TV's or have internet and barely step out of their home. In the past when I've rented, I've had a landlord or two who I almost never speak to... one lived out of state for most of the year and I just sent him my rent check by the first of every month. He had a number of properties and his tennants were just another number and another check. I'd certainly like to think that if a landlord had a tennant fitting the description LE released, he/she would pass the renters info on to LE... but not everyone is as keyed in as those of us here are. Whether they're just not aware in general or don't suspect the person, whatever the reason.... but if this guy has skipped town and doesn't pay November rent, could be something. It's hard to imagine that every single person in that area wouldn't be doing everything they could possibly do to out this person (maybe they are??).

That's my "out of left field" theory for the day.

I'm wondering if the response would have been different if the little girl would have yelled "help! I don't know this man!" rather than " you're not my dad!". The " you're not my dad" kinda leaves room for people to assume many different scenarios. (Ex. maybe the man is the little girl's uncle, he's discipling her and she's talking back)

Or screams, "HELP!!! STRANGER!!" or "HELP!! BAD MAN!!"
?

Honestly I think he's local. You don't usually come visit relatives on holiday and just start mixing up chemicals in their kitchen and hacking up victims in their tub..which is where I'm guessing he did this?? Sounds like a person who lives in the area to me. JMO!

I think it's very possible someone could go on those vacations or visit family and friends or motel rooms ect..or maybe even camping or back to an area he knew plan these abductions(maybe his victim wasn't planned)and killings and then return back to his home and no one would put them together.Especially if he told people where he lives now he went some where else other than Westminster Colorado.I do feel he was originally from the around the Westminster area and he knows the area well.It worked.They are looking for a local person.

Honestly I think he's local. You don't usually come visit relatives on holiday and just start mixing up chemicals in their kitchen and hacking up victims in their tub..which is where I'm guessing he did this?? Sounds like a person who lives in the area to me. JMO!

You just made me think of a way that he may be caught. I know this would take a little work, but if LE could use luminol and test the main drain pipes from apartment buildings and homes in the general proximinity, could they possibly use that method to narrow down the source of the blood. Also, if they had a test for chloroform, they could run that test as well.

I realize so much time has gone by, it would not be as effective as if it would have been done sooner, but perhaps this kind of idea could be used at least in the future.

I just want these perp(s) caught so badly, I keep trying to think of ways to catch him/them.

Hatfield: Excellent idea if it's possible.!

Anyone willing to post an example photo of what they think 'small rimmed sunglasses' look like?

The attempted abduction at Ketner Lake and Jessica's abduction was around holidays Memorial Day weekend and Columbus Day weekends.I'm very curious do they think this guy is local and why.I said before he could have been coming back home to family or visiting a friend or something on those holidays.
Maybe he was just taking advantage of a 3-day weekend to do his dirty deeds. Or maybe his wife was going out of town over the 3-day weekend.

Nothing about what happened to poor Jessica is funny, but the image of relatives coming to visit on holiday and mixing up chemicals in your kitchen made me lose my coffee. It's totally macabre, but it brings the meaning of "relatives from hell" to a whole new level! :what:

FWIW, I think he's local, too.

what's with these girls not being reported missing for 8-9 hours?
Jessica and Autumn both. does the perp somehow know enough about them to know he's got at least 8 hours?

I'm sure this has been mentioned but maybe he's a college student. Doesn't have to be traditional college age 18-22, could've gone back in his 20's or early 30's, however old he is. Or a technical/vocational school. I'm not familiar with the area or Colorado for that matter but I did a few searches on college/higher education directory sites and there are quite a few that are probably within a couple of hours. He may not have classes on Fridays. Or he skipped a class but a college student skipping a class is not any reason for concern. This could explain why he wasn't at work on a Friday morning (because he doesn't work) and didn't have to be anywhere at that time (nobody would ever report or suspect anything odd because he wasn't missing from an obligation). Also trying to factor in the May attempted abduction, perhaps he spent the summer elsewhere, on the road? But was around close enough during the college school year (Sept - May)?

The age would make sense as would the time of the attacks.

Or.... the person or persons could have said they left and did for his or her vacation and may actually have an alibi that someone lied for him or them and little Jessica's abduction and murder happened then.There are many ways you can go with us.

It seems to me that if someone is dumb enough to wear a wig during an attempted abduction, that person would be quickly caught ... as that wig would provide direct evidence.

There most likely are more cases connected to the man that murdered Jessica, but at this time, police are only able to tie him to the jogger in Ketner Park. Below is the difference in description between Jessica's murderer and the man that tried to take a male child over the fence.

"But Westminster Police say Monday about 1:15 p.m., a man attacked a 22-year-old woman as she jogged along the trail. Police say she passed the suspect once, as he walked the opposite way.

But when she looped around again, he was walking in the same direction and grabbed her as she ran by. She told police the suspect tried to put a cloth over her face, with some kind of chemical on it. She managed to fight him off and called 911 as he ran away.

Police are especially concerned because a similar incident happened in the same area two years ago."

http://kwgn.com/2012/05/30/jogger-escapes-from-attempted-kidnapping-near-westminster-lake/

"The suspect in the May 2012 attack was described as a light-skinned man who ranged in age from 18 to his 30s. He had brown hair, a medium build and was about 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall. The man was wearing a dark blue baseball cap, small-rim sunglasses, a black T-shirt and blue jeans.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/natio...attack-on-jogger-at-ketner-lake#ixzz2A8liql6s

The suspect in the assault on the male child:

"As they were walking along the trail near a street the girls noticed an "attractive" white man who was between 5 feet 6 inches and 6 feet tall, wearing jogging shorts, a Bolder Boulder T-shirt and green and white running shoes. He had a shaved head, no facial hair. He was trim and athletically built. "

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...oked-8-year-old-boy-near-ketner#ixzz2A8kabxdA

Thanks for the link, Otto.

Very brazen and bold of this man, 1:15 pm in broad daylight, in a busy park.

Neighbors say there’s not much to worry about on Westminster’s Ketner Lake Trail—usually.

Emily Phillips walks there all the time and says, “The weirdest thing is when someone’s dog is off their leash, that’s the biggest worry I’ve ever had.”
“It’s always filled with nice people and their kids and dogs who say ‘hi’ to you,” adds Chris Houghtaling.

But Westminster Police say Monday about 1:15 p.m., a man attacked a 22-year-old woman as she jogged along the trail. Police say she passed the suspect once, as he walked the opposite way.

Police note Monday afternoon was a busy time at Ketner Lake and they hope someone may have noticed the suspect. They ask anyone who might have any information to please call police.

It is possible the cases are connected but there are 2 different people doing the crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member