CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
where else is DNA taken? where would someone's DNA be on file if they haven't committed a crime.
doctors offices? no - too expensive?
colleges? I have no idea.
jobs? like drug testing? no?
genetic testing? do they test the fathers?
ohhh, how about paternity? can LE/FBI scan those DNA tests against the DNA they have?
People looking for organ donars? I don't really know how they look for compatibility for them.

O/T
Schwann's driver? Doubtful- at least the one here: he's too busy servicing some of his clients' wives ! :what:
I heard about him! One guy told his wife that the Schwann's guy had told him that he had slept with all but one of the women on that street. For some reason he wasn't too happy when his wife responded with, "Oh really? It must be that momrids6 down the street." :laugh:

If anyone is interested in the video of the car used in the abduction of the 6 year-old in June, I can't post the link because it's on Youtube. If you just do a search on there for child abduction vehicle - June 19, 2012 you should find it.

______

<modsnip>

I'll drop this line of thought. Didn't mean to bring it back up just said what if LE is wrong and they are on a wild goose chase.

That would be a good idea. thanks.

The biggest thing about this case is do we really know what the facts are? Reports contridictory, was her body in a bag or on bags? One bag or multiple bags,

What are the actual known non questionable facts? Where the bookbag was found, where her body was found.

Unfortunately, if we want black and white answers to every question we have we are bound to be disappointed. I have had to accept that this is part of following these cases. Sometimes not even the PD knows the answers yet. Sometimes they do but cannot release that information to us until a suspect is in court. Frustrating, but I'd rather me be in the dark than a perp walk because evidence was given to the public and affected the case.

do you have a link please?

TIA

I think maybe I"m taking speculation from here and confusing it with facts. Facts I know are there was a lot of stuff said on the scanner thread that people now believe just isn't true. The Sunday Denver Post article had a lot of new information contricting the scanner and the original thoughts. Then Fox 31 talks about DNA link to hair someone could bust open the case, mentioning bodies on bag and other things. Immediately LE tweets 60 percent of that story was bad information.

I don't know the actual facts.

I don't think he had intimate knowledge of Jessica, her family, or her schedule any more than he had intimate knowledge of the Memorial weekend jogger. I think it was "wrong place at wrong time", victim of convenience, in both circumstances. JMO

I feel like cases where there is a known suspect (even if not named officially by LE) have an "easier" time staying in the media because they can report on everything this "suspect" did. If the "suspect" is a parent, then they are almost obligated to do some media interviews, which increases the amount of attention and discussion for a case. I feel like Lindsey Baum or Elizabeth & Lyric's cases went quieter in the media much quicker than say, Kyron Horman's case.

Which, in all honesty, I find very odd considering I think the parents are hinky and would look at them with the evil eye in that case. Makes ya wonder...
JMO

In most unsolved cases, we can point to a reason(s) as to why such as:

1. The victim's body was never found.
2. LE did not follow protocol/was incompetent
3. LE neglected the case; did not devote many resources to it
4. Suspect(s) are wealthy/influential
5. LE had tunnel vision

I bet you almost every unsolved case on WS falls in one, or more, of those categories. But I don't see how any of those reasons could apply to Jessica's case. I think if it does become a cold case, the question, "Why couldn't LE solve it?" will be just as big of a mystery as, "Who killed Jessica?"

Perceived Hypothesis(tunnel vision)(Adam Walsh), and Jurisdictional Linkage Blindness are the two primary reason that missing/murdered persons investigations grow cold, imo. The American public is the most effective tool for overcoming linkage blindness..

"Dr. Egger addresses our most inner fears by researching the subject, defining ... to identify a serial killer due to "linkage blindness," another term coined by Egger. "Police don't share information across jurisdictional boundaries," Egger said.(1970s)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/profiling/steven_egger/8.html

Linkage blindness is a term coined by a professor Steven Egger, who did a study on serial murderers in democratic nations across the world and compared them with serial murderers in America.

What he found is that American law enforcement agencies take longer to identify serial murderers, and serial murderers commit more murders in America than they do in other democratic nations like England, Germany, and France. He attributes the reason for that to linkage blindness.

We have what the professor terms a non-system of policing. Our country is made up of a whole bunch of very, very small police departments. I think the average size is on average 15 police officers across the country. The police officers in these small departments think within their jurisdiction and not beyond their borders. Therefore, people can pass through their borders and commit criminal acts and then move on and never get caught. ...

A couple of thoughts on the scanner:
We need to keep in mind that the scanner rewind from when JR was reported missing contains the very first information gathering that happened. PD was talking to several people, getting lots of information. In the panic of knowing a child is missing and the PD is questioning you (a general you, not you in particular) it would be easy to get a lot of incomplete or conflicting information.
We don't normally even hear scanner speak - it is a way for PD to give info back and forth to each other. It isn't meant to be a way of giving information to the public. That is why they investigate info before holding pressers. Not all initial information, given in the "heat of the moment" will be what it seems to be at the beginning.
Secondly, for reasons stated above, it may seem the police dismiss an issue quickly (for example: the aunt's boyfriend). However, investigations are not play by play on the scanners. I personally am very sure the police with a missing (and later found murdered) child have VERY thoroughly investigated every person that would possibly fit in the timeframe/area of JR the morning she was abducted (those they are aware of obviously).
So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get caught up on the scanner rewind as proof of whether or not the PD investigated someone before ruling them out. Not only is it their profession/job on the line, I think it is clear from the pressers that these men and woman have their hearts and souls in finding the killer of JR.

Yes, but it does have SPECIFIC statements by people lines of thought that have been completely dropped. Someone seeing her walk up to the school then leave, one kid stating both he walked with her to the door and she left and her walking and talking to a teachers aide. She was also seen with her purple pillow a specific describtion of it. I believe the cop then said she must have come back because the pillow is here. Just specific statements that were completley dropped.

To get this back on track can we review exactly what we know at this point in the case.

Brown hair can be found on Caucasian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Asian, Native American, and African American people.

One of the reports of K Lake said "Hispanic", (media), LE released that as "light skinned", so that's where the question came in. I think the easy answer is IGNORE RACE AND GO BY THE DESCRIPTION as LE released it.

Believe it or not, I've heard that some people even use some kind of chemicals to change the color of their hair! :what:

Yes, but it does have SPECIFIC statements by people lines of thought that have been completely dropped. Someone seeing her walk up to the school then leave, one kid stating both he walked with her to the door and she left and her walking and talking to a teachers aide. She was also seen with her purple pillow a specific describtion of it. I believe the cop then said she must have come back because the pillow is here. Just specific statements that were completley dropped.

Dropped on the SCANNER!!! Not dropped by the investigators! I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand how to explain the sequence of events any clearer? You are focusing on a tiny, minute, piece of the earliest part of the abduction...when it wasn't even confirmed that she was abducted and you have no idea what happened after which is more important that a communication breakdown when they were looking for her.

I understand what you are saying, however, I don't think for a minute those things were just dropped. I am sure they were thoroughly investigated before being ruled out or corrected. For instance, the child and teachers aide later said they had the incorrect day. (examples of thinking in a rush/emergency situation) The pillow pet was along the same lines. Someone told them JR took the pillow pet to school with her that day. The police respond that either she came back or it is incorrect because the pillow pet is here. (later found here = her home). In the rush and panic, it WOULD be hard to think clearly about that specific day when you see the child on a daily basis - like the child she walked to school with and the teacher's aide who stood at the door each morning as the children entered the school.

Believe it or not, I've heard that some people even use some kind of chemicals to change the color of their hair! :what:

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Love it!

BBM

"Yes, but it does have specific statements by people lines of thought that have been completely dropped."

You've lost me.

"I believe the cop then said she must have come back because the pillow is here. "

Please clarify ... pillow? ... Jessica? I'm not making any connections. I'm wondering if I've accidentally slid into some other thread ... but no ... this is Jessica Redgeway. What are we talking about?

I understand what you are saying, however, I don't think for a minute those things were just dropped. I am sure they were thoroughly investigated before being ruled out or corrected. For instance, the child and teachers aide later said they had the incorrect day. (examples of thinking in a rush/emergency situation) The pillow pet was along the same lines. Someone told them JR took the pillow pet to school with her that day. The police respond that either she came back or it is incorrect because the pillow pet is here. (later found here = her home). In the rush and panic, it WOULD be hard to think clearly about that specific day when you see the child on a daily basis - like the child she walked to school with and the teacher's aide who stood at the door each morning as the children entered the school.

You have the patience of a saint :seeya:

The question is if while interviewing a friend of J's who said she didn't walk with me but i saw her walk up to the doors but she didn't come in.

Is that established fact in this case?

Is her being spotted with her specific purple stuffed toy by someone considered a fact in this case?

I would guess that Mom's co-workers have been interviewed and probably even asked for DNA samples, especially if they had met Jessica, especially those on the night shift who would be likely to be up and about at 7:30AM and would have probably heard the most about Jessica during work chats. And it is unlikely that one of her co-workers also happened to attack the jogger, IMO (assuming the same suspect in both.) Or anyone else Mom knew; that would be a pretty coincidental thing.

On the scanner, someone said we have a report she was seen at Rec Park with her purple pillow animal thing, the cop at the parents house said she must have came back because that item is right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member